MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

LLB and UPSC

I am planning to pursue LLB from DU. Can I manage my preparation alongwith the course?

Comments

• go for it bhai,
    nobody prepares for UPSC full time..

this is the mistake everyone commits in this preparation.. i did the same.
    one professional or masters degree certainly helps in this uncertain preparation

you may also try for IGNOU MA in your optional
  • gill1992 said:

I am planning to pursue LLB from DU. Can I manage my preparation alongwith the course?

Yes it can be.

I agree with @amsc . Even that's a good option.

I did LLB from Mumbai university while appearing for my first attempt. Knowledge of law will definitely will help u in some way or the other.

I heard that there are several such law students in DU who have doing both.

Go for it.
    BA History - Political science. LLB. LLM student.
    Optional - History
  • edited July 8
    gill1992 said:

I m doing it..u can easily manage...
  • edited July 8
    amsc said:

go for it bhai,

one professional or masters degree certainly helps in this uncertain preparation

you may also try for IGNOU MA in your optional</blockquote

• gill1992 said:

Just go for it my dear little bro. I was in a similar i dilemma. I didnt go for it. I regret. So if you dont wana be in my slippers go for it bro.
    hey bro
  • gill1992 said:

How well were you able to manage it full-time?
    ecosia.org
  • gill1992 said:

Yes it can be.

I did LLB from Mumbai university while appearing for my first attempt. Knowledge of law will definitely will help u in some way or the other.

Go for it.
    Kapil Sibal was one such student.
    ecosia.org
  • I passed out this year from Law faculty, DU.

What I realised is that one can't study both law as well as for UPSC together well. I was consistently able to score above 60% in each semster. But, i had to let my UPSC preparation take a back seat.

I have a lot of batchmates preparing for UPSC together with law. Most of them have backlogs.
    And, as for the records, there has not been even a single result from Law Faculty in UPSC among the current students.

The 1-2 results have been of the pass outs from the faculty.

Nevetheless, i have friends who managed to score around 50-55% and give their major time to CSE preparation.

Also, the prelims and mains tend to clash or be very near to semester exams. As for this year, our sem exams finsihed by May end and the Prelims was on 3rd June.

You have all the info. Decide for yourself.
  • I am a student at CLC and to an extent, I would like to second the opinion of @abhi44 . Since last August, I haven't been able to dedicate more than a week to any exam (PCS/ACIO/CSE), but that is majorly due to my own fraud. Nevertheless, it is difficult to manage academics, internships and competitive exams at the same time.

So the question you should ask is why do you want a degree in law? If you want to go for research/higher studies in law then you may have to drop the idea of CSE. If you just want a degree or try a career in corporate sector/litigation then you can consider it, but you must understand that placement scenario is not that good.

There would definitely be opportunity cost attached to it, but it is manageable if you believe that with your talent, CSE does not require 24*7*365 attention. But you cannot be doing anything just for the sake of it, without any interest.
  • edited July 8
    ecosia.org
  • amsc said:

go for it bhai,

you may also try for IGNOU MA in your optional

Thank you....bhai...Probably doing something is better than sitting forever when the level of uncertainty is already rising..
  • gill1992 said:

Yes it can be.

Go for it.
    Thank you.....why you have not taken law as your optional...I see you have taken history despite holding a masters in law.....
  • gill1992 said:

Thank you....are you from DU?
  • I am a student at CLC and to an extent, I would like to second the opinion of @abhi44 . Since last August, I haven't been able to dedicate more than a week to any exam (PCS/ACIO/CSE), but that is majorly due to my own fraud. Nevertheless, it is difficult to manage academics, internships and competitive exams at the same time.

So the question you should ask is why do you want a degree in law? If you want to go for research/higher studies in law then you may have to drop the idea of CSE. If you just want a degree or try a career in corporate sector/litigation then you can consider it, but you must understand that placement scenario is not that good.

There would definitely be opportunity cost attached to it, but it is manageable if you believe that with your talent, CSE does not require 24*7*365 attention. But you cannot be doing anything just for the sake of it, without any interest.

opportunity cost..hmm....thank you for putting things into perspective
  • abhi44 said:

I passed out this year from Law faculty, DU.

What I realised is that one can't study both law as well as for UPSC together well. I was consistently able to score above 60% in each semster. But, i had to let my UPSC preparation take a back seat.

I have a lot of batchmates preparing for UPSC together with law. Most of them have backlogs.
    And, as for the records, there has not been even a single result from Law Faculty in UPSC among the current students.

The 1-2 results have been of the pass outs from the faculty.

Nevetheless, i have friends who managed to score around 50-55% and give their major time to CSE preparation.

Also, the prelims and mains tend to clash or be very near to semester exams. As for this year, our sem exams finsihed by May end and the Prelims was on 3rd June.

You have all the info. Decide for yourself.

Thank you! surely this will come handy !!
  • Krk said:

gill1992 said:

Just go for it my dear little bro. I was in a similar i dilemma. I didnt go for it. I regret. So if you dont wana be in my slippers go for it bro.
    Thank you!! This has happened with me also. Every year I make my mind to enroll, then again I drop the idea...however this time I dont want to regret it again......
  • gill1992 said:

Yes it can be.

Go for it.
    @GoingLegal

Yes. With the only difference that he cleared it and I am yet to. Not much hopes with the 2018 pre.

Sibal is most top lawyer today.
    BA History - Political science. LLB. LLM student.
    Optional - History
  • edited July 8
    gill1992 said:

gill1992 said:

I am..yes though sometimes end sem exam do clash with upsc date sheet(like last year in december it clased with ifos) had to leave 2 papers (got back) but its worth it..its better than wasting time ...if u have prepared for upsc once then go for it..u can easily get 50-55% with around 1week proper study..attendence wont be an issue as faculty is mostly student friendly(one hardly gets detained for short attrndence unless one totally stop coming to class) for other info u can DM me. :)
  • gill1992 said:

Yes it can be.

Go for it.
    @GoingLegal

Yes. With the only difference that he cleared it and I am yet to. Not much hopes with the 2018 pre.

Sibal is most top lawyer today.
    Best wishes, buddy !
    ecosia.org
  • gill1992 said:

gill1992 said:

I am..yes though sometimes end sem exam do clash with upsc date sheet(like last year in december it clased with ifos) had to leave 2 papers (got back) but its worth it..its better than wasting time ...if u have prepared for upsc once then go for it..u can easily get 50-55% with around 1week proper study..attendence wont be an issue as faculty is mostly student friendly(one hardly gets detained for short attrndence unless one totally stop coming to class) for other info u can DM me. :)
    yeh sab ved kumuri ke era mein bhi hota hai?
    i have heard otherwise.
  • edited July 9
    Warlord said:

gill1992 said:

gill1992 said:

yeh sab ved kumuri ke era mein bhi hota hai?
    i have heard otherwise.
    ho rha h bhai...I and few of my friends(who r preparing for upsc) hardly go to college(once or twice a week)..teachers ab tak sahi mile the attendance de dete the hopefully age bhi same rahega :# ..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog