MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Hard Landing vs Soft Landing

edited December 2013 in Current Affairs
Recently China became 3rd country in the world after USA and erstwhile Soviet Union to make a soft landing of its rover "Jade Rabbit" on moon.

Now i looked up for difference between a hard and a soft landing online but couldnt find anything substantial.

So what is exactly a soft and a Hard landing ?
Also is soft landing so tough that apparently only 3 nations have been able to make it ?

If any one knows in some detail then please clear the air !!
The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .

Comments

• soft landing is landing without destruction of payload.In case of china's lunar mission jade rabbit is the rover and change3 the probe or payload.But since It was a soft landing the payload wasn't destroyed.In case of hard landing there's a detachment and destruction of payload or in terms of normal flight(airlines not spaceflight) hard landing refers to the vertical velocity limit.The Change probe touched down on the lunar surface without any damage and now the yutu rover will search for minerals on the surface.

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
  • ps don't read payload part simply understand that the probe wasnt destroyed implying a soft landing!Payload is actually the main part of the carrier,sorry im a bit sleepy.
  • In soft landing reverse thrust is given by retro burners to cancel the effect of a crash landing due to gravity so that the rover survives the touchdown as in case of jade rabbit...Indias Moon impact probe on Chandrayaan had made a hard landing as it was literally fired onto the moon's surface as it had no intruments on it just the indian flag. Chandrayann -2 rover will also attempt a soft landing in near future.
  • Thanks guys for your apt replies .

Btw From which sources have you guys been able to extract this info ?

I didnt find anything online.
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • I work as a scientist for ISRO so i know about it :)
  • Great !!!

;-)
  • @RAJANAKIN

So is it tough to land a probe softly ie. a soft landing as only 3 countries have done so ?!

Is india planning a manned mission on moon sometime in near future ?
  • yes it is quite difficult to perform a soft landing as exact gravity profile of the planet must be known in advance ..afetr chandryaan-2 ..the human landing on moon is on the long term missions of isro ...and even mars
  • Human landing on mars? When is that practically possible??
  • the world is speculating it around 2035....APj Kalam wants india too in the hunt for it and try and get there first before the world :) dont know if its too ambitious but if magalyaan reaches mars in just 67 million dollars i belive nothing is impossible
  • But as if now what is the status of astronaut training position in India? I never heard of any astronaut training program in implementation. Is that plausible in next 20 years? They should do at least a few space flights with astronauts and try to get them to moon before attempting mars. Aren't we on a very tight schedule if we are really aiming for that date?
  • at present the human space flight program has been halted by the govt of india ...mayb due to lack of funds
  • @RAJANAKIN

Thanks mate !!!
  • One day I want isro to launch a mission for titan as well as europa,I believe there is some microbial life there:-D
  • Well maybe they will !!!
  • of course @thestrokes_museic ....in case they do get any such proposal from a worthy source about any such life im sure isro will ....unless such demand comes from some random profile on forumias he he he :D
  • I am a big fan of sci fi so I know,lol :P there's ice beneath the surface the legendary voyager had taken pics,let's see we what the future unravels.For me space colonization is the way ahead,mother earth can't sustain the humsn onslaught for another 100 years imo!
  • wow ...u definetely are right mate..even stephan hawkins says so..that we should get out of earth :)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog