MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY   FRESH BATCH BEGINS WITH FREE SEMINAR:5TH JAN'19 @ 11 AM
MITRASIAS: 39 PUSA ROAD SAMAYAK TOWER OPP. METRO PILLAR 120
Further Details Please Call us: 01145505509

How to score high in prelims : the simple approach .

dkvdkv
edited May 20 in Social, Tips & Support
Hi all, i had posted my prelims marks as part of a discussion thread .I got lot of queries in my inbox and suggestions to open a separate thread for it so that more aspirants can benefit. So ill be sharing my booklist ,revision plan, how to attempt the paper ,decoding upsc mindset , do's and dont's and most importantly motivation to remain calm during this phase.Also as name of my thread suggests i want to lessen the hype around prelims exam , test series, multiple sources etc . I hope it will benefit aspirants who are having slight difficulty at prelims stage , future aspirants and ifos aspirants .

Comments

• image.jpeg
    640 x 240 - 41K
  • If moderators feel thread is irrelevant or misleading please close it . Rest anyone who has queries can ask here or inbox me .
  • dkv said:

Hi all, i had posted my prelims marks as part of a discussion thread .I got lot of queries in my inbox and suggestions to open a separate thread for it so that more aspirants can benefit. So ill be sharing my booklist ,revision plan, how to attempt the paper ,decoding upsc mindset , do's and dont's and most importantly motivation to remain calm during this phase.Also as name of my thread suggests i want to lessen the hype around prelims exam , test series, multiple sources etc . I hope it will benefit aspirants who are having slight difficulty at prelims stage , future aspirants and ifos aspirants .

Wonderful and timely initiative. A lot of candidates will be looking up to this thread. :)
    One last hurrah...
    One last leap of faith...
    In search of poetic justice.
  • My booklist as asked my many .
    Ancient and medieval history old ncerts
    Modern history only spectrum
    Culture Nitin Singhania notes and old ncerts
    Polity Laxmikanth
    Geography ncert 11 , 12 Goh cheg leong (optional )
    Economy Sri ram notes or Ramesh singh
    Environment Shankar ias book
    Current affairs Hindu and vision pt 365
    Test series only upsc 5-6 years papers .
  • Ill be guiding about csat also so that the threshold is crossed in that paper too.
  • Sir,

How important is to solve mock tests ? I am still reading standard textbooks for the first time and will be revising it after 23rd May. I will not be able to attempt mocks. This fact is hampering my preparation psychologically.

What would be your suggestion ? How important is solving mocks considering my situation ? Is prelims possible without solving mocks ( Will attempt Full Syllabus Tests for sure ). Any strategic advice you would like to me ?

Should i loss all the hopes and target 2019 ?
  • dkv said:

My booklist as asked my many .
    Polity Laxmikanth

yeh to sabi padte hai isme naya kya. High score ka technique batao books se kuch nahi hoga

root note: Account suspended for posting obscene images
  • Shyamw said:

Sir,

How important is to solve mock tests ? I am still reading standard textbooks for the first time and will be revising it after 23rd May. I will not be able to attempt mocks. This fact is hampering my preparation psychologically.

What would be your suggestion ? How important is solving mocks considering my situation ? Is prelims possible without solving mocks ( Will attempt Full Syllabus Tests for sure ). Any strategic advice you would like to me ?

Should i loss all the hopes and target 2019 ?

target 2019

root note: Account suspended for posting obscene images
  • Can share your insights wrt to elimination, intelligent guessing and increasing accuracy.
  • I never gave mocks .. because for me revising books was the main focus , as i mentioned the best test series and mock is upsc previous yr papers that also 5 yrs . Do not keep this belief that without mocks ull not clear it , its just a psychological hype . Revise every part of syllabus equally and thoroughly , give mocks only for psychological relief but dont focus solely on them .Dont lose hope . I started this thread to lessen the hype in which i also used to get entangled.But till the last i dint succumb to pressure, kept confidence in myself that no matter what others are doing ill do it my way . Hope it helps . atb .
  • dkv said:

I never gave mocks .. because for me revising books was the main focus , as i mentioned the best test series and mock is upsc previous yr papers that also 5 yrs . Do not keep this belief that without mocks ull not clear it , its just a psychological hype . Revise every part of syllabus equally and thoroughly , give mocks only for psychological relief but dont focus solely on them .Dont lose hope . I started this thread to lessen the hype in which i also used to get entangled.But till the last i dint succumb to pressure, kept confidence in myself that no matter what others are doing ill do it my way . Hope it helps . atb .

Thank you very much. Much needed motivation.
  • shivajii said:

Can share your insights wrt to elimination, intelligent guessing and increasing accuracy.

shivajii said:

Can share your insights wrt to elimination, intelligent guessing and increasing accuracy.

see the questions asked by upsc are such that for very few questions only we know the direct correct answers, for rest we have to use elimination method . But for elimination also u need to know the topic reasonably well . i would not suggest guess work for upsc as that can prove fatal but yes intelligent guess also there where u have reasonable knowledge . I personally follow elimination merhod nd no guesswork . Regarding accuracy i attempted around 90 and i think 75-78 were correct , i have not calculated exact no , it can be increased by making fundamentals v strong , absolute clarity of facts eg in current affairs .
  • dkv said:

My booklist as asked my many .
    Polity Laxmikanth

yeh to sabi padte hai isme naya kya. High score ka technique batao books se kuch nahi hoga
    please don't sound so rude . yeh sabhi padte hai everyone knws this but i want to emphasize ki inko hi ache se padna is v imp that is why i wrote simple approach . Revising them only v thoroughly is the key . Rest everyone is different and everyone has different strategy .
  • just tell if there is a way to arrived for conclusive answer for the disputed question appealed in supreme court
    “The road to power is paved with hypocrisy, and casualties. Never regret.”
  • just tell if there is a way to arrived for conclusive answer for the disputed question appealed in supreme court

No there is no way because we dont know what upsc thinks is correct . but still i think relying on ncerts for facts is safest option .
  • mam thank you for creating a thread.I want to ask one thing you have written,"decoding upsc mindset" . How did you go about it. how to achieve it

• Suraj95 said:

mam thank you for creating a thread.I want to ask one thing you have written,"decoding upsc mindset" . How did you go about it. how to achieve it

Yes ill tell about that . Decoding UPSC mindset means that whenever you are studying anything especially current affairs like reading newspaper think in terms of UPSC that what word or international organisation is imp eg quality council .You will see that when u do it urself , u r list of imp topics nd facts will be more accurate then what institutes predict . That happens with me that what i hv marked as imp has somehow appeared in exam . another decoding is that focus on upsc trends like maps nd international orgs esp related to env , that i think everyone does . thirdly in csat analyse the right answers given by upsc in comprehension to decode what answers it is considering correct , sometimes we tend to get confused in that also .
  • dkv said:

Suraj95 said:

mam thank you for creating a thread.I want to ask one thing you have written,"decoding upsc mindset" . How did you go about it. how to achieve it

Yes ill tell about that . Decoding UPSC mindset means that whenever you are studying anything especially current affairs like reading newspaper think in terms of UPSC that what word or international organisation is imp eg quality council .You will see that when u do it urself , u r list of imp topics nd facts will be more accurate then what institutes predict . That happens with me that what i hv marked as imp has somehow appeared in exam . another decoding is that focus on upsc trends like maps nd international orgs esp related to env , that i think everyone does . thirdly in csat analyse the right answers given by upsc in comprehension to decode what answers it is considering correct , sometimes we tend to get confused in that also .
    thanks first. Also could you tell more about that maps nd international orgs esp related to env. I am not understanding it

• for maps go on you tube , there are certain channels am unable to recall search countries of world , main physical features etc , just watch basic videos that will create a mental image in your mind about locations of countries , seas etc . this way ull understand better , later u can refer any atlas . Also keep a watch on everyplace in news. For international orgs esp env related read shankar env v carefully , nd also the latest portions which it has added .
  • dkv said:

for maps go on you tube , there are certain channels am unable to recall search countries of world , main physical features etc , just watch basic videos that will create a mental image in your mind about locations of countries , seas etc . this way ull understand better , later u can refer any atlas . Also keep a watch on everyplace in news. For international orgs esp env related read shankar env v carefully , nd also the latest portions which it has added .

atlas i have bought orient blackswan for competitive exam. Is oxford atlas for india also needed? please

• Suraj95 said:

dkv said:

for maps go on you tube , there are certain channels am unable to recall search countries of world , main physical features etc , just watch basic videos that will create a mental image in your mind about locations of countries , seas etc . this way ull understand better , later u can refer any atlas . Also keep a watch on everyplace in news. For international orgs esp env related read shankar env v carefully , nd also the latest portions which it has added .

atlas i have bought orient blackswan for competitive exam. Is oxford atlas for india also needed? please
    no no any atlas will do .
  • Can you please tell important trends/topics which appear very frequently, like you mentioned maps and environmental organisations if it comes handy, specially culture. Like jainism, buddhism in ancient.

I will be skipping culture part due to lack of time now and will look through important topics.thank you.
  • dkv said:

Thank u :smile:
    all i need is You Lord
  • assassin said:

Can you please tell important trends/topics which appear very frequcently, like you mentioned maps and environmental organisations if it comes handy, specially culture. Like jainism, buddhism in ancient.

I will be skipping culture part due to lack of time now and will look through important topics.thank you.

For culture if u can spare 2-3 hours u can finish Nitin singhania hand written notes easily . For the imp topics give me some time ill just try to compile a list fr u nd get back to u .
  • assassin said:

Can you please tell important trends/topics which appear very frequently, like you mentioned maps and environmental organisations if it comes handy, specially culture. Like jainism, buddhism in ancient.

Jain buddha bhakti sufi vaishnav,
    modern india - 1905 to 1947 polity laxmikant lessons- 3,4,7,8,9,1017,19,22,26,30,38,39
    Culture- vision pt 365 only+ dance forms & literature
    Env-vision 365+ google every env org+ parks
    Maps- all the bordering counteries near seas like red sea, mediterrean sea , caspican
    Geo- only indian geo+ physical geo ncert last 4-5 chpters
    Eco- eco survey smmary + vision test of eco srvey
    Current - vision 365 pt

• dkv said:

assassin said:

Can you please tell important trends/topics which appear very frequcently, like you mentioned maps and environmental organisations if it comes handy, specially culture. Like jainism, buddhism in ancient.

For culture if u can spare 2-3 hours u can finish Nitin singhania hand written notes easily . For the imp topics give me some time ill just try to compile a list fr u nd get back to u .

assassin said:

Can you please tell important trends/topics which appear very frequently, like you mentioned maps and environmental organisations if it comes handy, specially culture. Like jainism, buddhism in ancient.

Jain buddha bhakti sufi vaishnav,
    modern india - 1905 to 1947 polity laxmikant lessons- 3,4,7,8,9,1017,19,22,26,30,38,39
    Culture- vision pt 365 only+ dance forms & literature
    Env-vision 365+ google every env org+ parks
    Maps- all the bordering counteries near seas like red sea, mediterrean sea , caspican
    Geo- only indian geo+ physical geo ncert last 4-5 chpters
    Eco- eco survey smmary + vision test of eco srvey
    Current - vision 365 pt

Thank you guys @dkv , @Anthroaspirant1
  • edited May 13
    plz tell the duration for the hindu reading means from which month to which month of we have exam in june.
  • edited May 13
    Prateek.v said:

plz tell the duration for the hindu reading means from which month to which month of we have exam in june.

Bro leave the hindu as of now ...if u hav made notes previously then please revise them , and if not then go through vision pt 365 or insights compilation as per ur wish...but please leave newsppr till pre...
    For period u hav to focus-- june 2017 to april 2018
  • Prateek.v said:

one year before pre but as rightly mentioned by anthroaspirant u can stop reading one month before pre . for 2018 conc on vision pt 365 only . if u want to appear for 2019 then start reading daily till next pre .
  • How much important are sectional mocks (not full length tests) at this point of time ? What should be the strategy for remaining days if someone has finished 1-2 readings of basic sources and current affairs ? Is it necessary to prepare all the government schemes as they are in large numbers or how to identify important ones ?
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog