Vice-Admiral Verma moves Tribunal Judges’ panel to hear charges against CJI India may send NIA team to assist in probe India may stop oil imports from Iran Price controls hurting FDI in medical devices sector
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Help a banker qualify UPSC !

A friend of mine got a few queries.

I'm going to post on his behalf .

Start -

Query is that I joined bank recently...been just two weeks or so in a different state.

And am having hard time coping up with work and studies.

I want to take leave , but due to lack of staff and some staff deliberately not coming to work, the officers including me are suffering by working extra hours.

On top of that my manager seems to have found out that I am aiming for higher examinations.

I want to go a long leave to focus on my last attempt.

What to do?

Comparatively my bank might be a little less strict.

What are the repurcussions if I abscond.

If the manager reports to head office about my Upsc prep..

Do I bring to his notice that I am appearing this year?

How to get atleast 1 week off before pre?
After pre if I feel I have a good shot and want to go on a long leave then how to go about it?

What are the options for getting 1 week off for prelims and getting 3-4 months off for mains ? What will happen if I vanish without informing anyone. If I do mention about prelims to my manager and then come up with some medical excuse or vanish after pre then what is going to happen?

Also, should I get a flat on lease since I am toying with the idea of possibly vanishing or taking medical leave..the bank might not pay the rent amount?

In which case I have to fork the expenses.

@dpagarwal Sir and other bankers/non bankers are requested to respond.

Regards

Comments

• edited May 2018

Start -

Query is that I joined bank recently...been just two weeks or so in a different state.

I want to take leave , but due to lack of staff and some staff deliberately not coming to work, the officers including me are suffering by working extra hours.

On top of that my manager seems to have found out that I am aiming for higher examinations.

What to do?

After pre if I feel I have a good shot and want to go on a long leave then how to go about it?

What are the options for getting 1 week off for prelims and getting 3-4 months off for mains ? What will happen if I vanish without informing anyone. If I do mention about prelims to my manager and then come up with some medical excuse or vanish after pre then what is going to happen?

Also, should I get a flat on lease since I am toying with the idea of possibly vanishing or taking medical leave..the bank might not pay the rent amount?

Regards

Getting 1 week leave is not a big problem. Since you have joined bank recently. Youbwont be having stock of leaves. Best bet in this scenario is Loss of pay of a week.

However 4 months is a problem. In all likelihood. You will be given a show cause notice or worse which happened with me a memo will be issued. Nothing happen . It only hamper your promotion later.
    However work load is immense at my branch. And clerk do go on irratic leaves. All responsibility is of officer. Thats how bank works.
    Try to get out of banking sector asap.

And yes if you go on unauthorised leave bank will not pay the lease for the absent period.
    As you have mentioned that its your last attempt means you have studied a lot . So try squeezing 4-5 hrs daily. For beginners it is very difficult...

And even if full staff is present some new problem comes due to whixh working hrs are extended. And justvwait for the login day. You will be called even on holidays if branch targets are not met.
  • dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Getting 1 week leave is not a big problem. Since you have joined bank recently. Youbwont be having stock of leaves. Best bet in this scenario is Loss of pay of a week.

However 4 months is a problem. In all likelihood. You will be given a show cause notice or worse which happened with me a memo will be issued. Nothing happen . It only hamper your promotion later.
    However work load is immense at my branch. And clerk do go on irratic leaves. All responsibility is of officer. Thats how bank works.

And yes if you go on unauthorised leave bank will not pay the lease for the absent period.
    As you have mentioned that its your last attempt means you have studied a lot . So try squeezing 4-5 hrs daily. For beginners it is very difficult...

And even if full staff is present some new problem comes due to whixh working hrs are extended. And justvwait for the login day. You will be called even on holidays if branch targets are not met.
    Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

"Saw a response...I have around 10 CLs and 3PLs ...what should I say to my manager to avail of a week long leave? Should I mention about appearing for prelims or some other reason?"
  • dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

"Saw a response...I have around 10 CLs and 3PLs ...what should I say to my manager to avail of a week long leave? Should I mention about appearing for prelims or some other reason?"
    Galti se bhi mat batana ki you want leave for exams. One morning message him that you are ill cannot come. Qnd then do the same next day also. And then straight away go after prelims with a medical certificate.

However you still have to go on loss of pay.
    Because two type of leaves cannot be clubbed.
    And CL you cannot takenmore than 4 at a time. And it is strange that he have PL at such an early stage . Because PL in banks are credited 1 for 11 daysbof service at the end of year.
    But never tell anyone about upsc. Because banking is a hub of frustrated people. At such an early stage (2 weeks) obviuosly your friend dont know the real nature of his manager. It may happen that after prel8ms he burden him with extra work to kill his dream. And though it is easy to say from outside that learn to say no. But in real life in banking it doesnt work.
  • dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

Galti se bhi mat batana ki you want leave for exams. One morning message him that you are ill cannot come. Qnd then do the same next day also. And then straight away go after prelims with a medical certificate.

And CL you cannot takenmore than 4 at a time. And it is strange that he have PL at such an early stage . Because PL in banks are credited 1 for 11 daysbof service at the end of year.
    But never tell anyone about upsc. Because banking is a hub of frustrated people. At such an early stage (2 weeks) obviuosly your friend dont know the real nature of his manager. It may happen that after prel8ms he burden him with extra work to kill his dream. And though it is easy to say from outside that learn to say no. But in real life in banking it doesnt work.

IMG_20180513_141545.png
    1080 x 1009 - 239K
  • edited May 2018

dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

Bhai AGM to sabse bada chutiya hota hain.kuch nahi hoga. Last attempt hain ( if youbarevtelling truth). Ek week pre se oehle to jaisa maine kaha hai. Waise leave le lo. Baaki baad main dekhenge.
    And ask him to prepare for state pcs and other exams. Because cse he cannot give after this attempt .

The thing is banking sector is inbcomplete mess. Oldies arevtaking vrs. New recruits are leavibg it. And many banks under PCA cannot recruit new staff. So many times theybare reluctant to give NOC tobappear in other exmam like state pcs
  • dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

@dpagarwal is right. Don't think much. Just don't go to branch and make reason of illness. Report to branch on 4th June with a medical certificate. One week leave, they will only ask you to produce medical certificate.

Rest, pre k baad wali chutti ka Kya karna h wo pre k baad dekha jayega....
  • Thankyou!
  • call me on 9431914317
  • @dpagarwal How to apply for loss of pay for 20 days?
  • viktor said:

@dpagarwal How to apply for loss of pay for 20 days?

Just dont go. Message one day that you are ill. And do two three days more. And then go after 20 days with a medocal certificste . But do all this unauthorised leave game only if you are sure of not staying in this sector or are ready to let go promotion for next 3-5 yrs.
  • dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

@dpagarwal is right.Just call your manager in the morning that you are not feeling good. Bas fir exam bad jana.. 7 din ka koi issue nahi hai.. Kuch nahi hoga... IAS ka pre hai toh abhi se chale jao leave pe... Kuch nahi hoga 3 weeks me..... Exam bad Medical certificate lekar jana.... Chaho toh Distt Govt hospital me naam likhwa dena jis din se leave jana ho.. Usi din.. Vahan 500,1000 me koi peon hi kar deta hai kam.. Aur us medical certificate ko challenge karna bank ke baski baat nahi hai... But bhai ye discussion useless hai.. 18 din me kuch nahi ho raha hai... Pvt MBBS ka medical chal jayega...
    Leave pe jaiye..... Kabhi fir bad me pachtao aap...
    Sahi me beemar hote tab bhi toh nahi ja paate bank...Aur AGM ne BM ko bola.. May be ab kuch yad bhi na ho unke.. Barbad sector hai ye.. State/Central Govt me seniors support karte hai UPSC ke liye.. But yahan bank me nahi... Yahan BM agar kam chala le bina aapke.. Toh kisi ko koi dikkat nahi.. Aur agar manager hi ungli karega uper ki mera kam nahi chal raha tab uper wale bolte hai.. Otherwise unko matlab nahi hota.. Branch ka kam hona chahiye...
    Vaise aap jaiye leave.. Aisi koi takat nahi jo kuch kar de 18 din ke uper
  • coolbuddy said:

dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

@dpagarwal is right.Just call your manager in the morning that you are not feeling good. Bas fir exam bad jana.. 7 din ka koi issue nahi hai.. Kuch nahi hoga... IAS ka pre hai toh abhi se chale jao leave pe... Kuch nahi hoga 3 weeks me..... Exam bad Medical certificate lekar jana.... Chaho toh Distt Govt hospital me naam likhwa dena jis din se leave jana ho.. Usi din.. Vahan 500,1000 me koi peon hi kar deta hai kam.. Aur us medical certificate ko challenge karna bank ke baski baat nahi hai... But bhai ye discussion useless hai.. 18 din me kuch nahi ho raha hai... Pvt MBBS ka medical chal jayega...
    Sahi me beemar hote tab bhi toh nahi ja paate bank...Aur AGM ne BM ko bola.. May be ab kuch yad bhi na ho unke.. Barbad sector hai ye.. State/Central Govt me seniors support karte hai UPSC ke liye.. But yahan bank me nahi... Yahan BM agar kam chala le bina aapke.. Toh kisi ko koi dikkat nahi.. Aur agar manager hi ungli karega uper ki mera kam nahi chal raha tab uper wale bolte hai.. Otherwise unko matlab nahi hota.. Branch ka kam hona chahiye...
    My father is in sugargane deptartment in up governemt. Waha ek ladka upsc cse ki prep karvraha tha. Uske boss ne use ladke ko 6 mahine ki leave de di. He was in accounts department. Us baar nahi hua usak. Next yr doobara de di. And he qualified. Kabhi kabhi kuch kaam hua to bula lete the.
  • एक कंटाप मारो मैनेजर को ... सब सही हो जायेगा
  • dpagarwal said:

coolbuddy said:

dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

My father is in sugargane deptartment in up governemt. Waha ek ladka upsc cse ki prep karvraha tha. Uske boss ne use ladke ko 6 mahine ki leave de di. He was in accounts department. Us baar nahi hua usak. Next yr doobara de di. And he qualified. Kabhi kabhi kuch kaam hua to bula lete the.
    Ha aisa hi hai bhai...aur doosri baat vahan kam bhi nahi hota hai office me bhi..ek EO the UP me... DM ne khud 2 mahine ki leave di thi.. Kyunki DM ko pata hai..mature hote hai log.. Uska charge kisi SDM ko de diya 2 mahine ko.... Uska selection ho gaya is baari...
    Apne idhar bank me purane log toh clerk se promotee bahut hai.. Yahan support karne wala nature nahi hai seniors ka mostly... Ulta dara dete hai.... Aur 2008-09 ke bad jyada hua ye kam start.. Attirition rate bahut jyada hai.. Ab toh joining ke time hi dushman samajhte hai usko jo exam de raha hai.. Aur future me chodhkar ja sakta hai... 2008-09 se pehle attrition rate kam tha.. Aur staff jyada tha banks me....
    Bank ki job ka nature sala ajeeb hai... Yahan rural branches me toh BM, Prob officer 2 hi officer hote hai... 1 leave chala jaye kam ruk jata...
  • dpagarwal said:

viktor said:

@dpagarwal How to apply for loss of pay for 20 days?

Just dont go. Message one day that you are ill. And do two three days more. And then go after 20 days with a medocal certificste . But do all this unauthorised leave game only if you are sure of not staying in this sector or are ready to let go promotion for next 3-5 yrs.
    Thanks
  • dpagarwal said:

coolbuddy said:

dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

Maine quora pe pdha h ki it all depends upon BM. Some have wrote that their BM gave them holidays before exam and also didn’t burden them with too much work. Btw I am thinking to have medical certi in future from PHC, i know one doctor there. Will it work?

Also, @dpagarwal if bank has so much work how do you manage forum with workload? Have you learnt some tips to overcome pressure? Share sime tips plz
  • edited May 2018

dpagarwal said:

coolbuddy said:

dpagarwal said:

dpagarwal said:

Start -

What to do?

Regards

Much thanks brother!

My friend replies -

Maine quora pe pdha h ki it all depends upon BM. Some have wrote that their BM gave them holidays before exam and also didn’t burden them with too much work. Btw I am thinking to have medical certi in future from PHC, i know one doctor there. Will it work?

Also, @dpagarwal if bank has so much work how do you manage forum with workload? Have you learnt some tips to overcome pressure? Share sime tips plz
    Join bank.

If you get a scale 4 above branch. Work can ve divided but work is huge.
    Or scale <= 3 scale branch. You have to do everything. Even sit at the counter till publix timings.
    If rural branche. It generally runs with only 2 offocers including BM so again you havebto do everything.
    BM giving less work is highly unlikely. 1% chance of getting such a BM.
    And forumias is the only place where I have friends. So like people reply to messages abd calls of their friends i do it here.I do not talk with people in real world now because then they call you to meet up. Very often at home.
    Whatever little time I get I study. But the nature of work in banking is such that it drains all energy at the end of day.

If you are thinking of joining bank and preparing dont tell anybody in branch .
    It will harm more that it help.

Actually why it us difficult to prepare with banking job is difficult to tell to outsiders. They think in every other job timings are 9-6-7-8. But the kind of work bankers do actually 8 hours is equivalent to 12 hours.
    @coolbuddy has more experience of banking than me. Mujhe 3 saal hone waale hain.
    Read what he said. That people discourage you. So dont be under the impression that youll get sympathy of anyone in this industry .
  • Last year mein Canara Bank mein PO tha. Fir chor diya job.

Anyways job aur padhai eksath mere se na ho paya. Aur posting first circle mein tha, guwahati mein. Fir WBCS air Upsc ke liyr NoC manga.

Politics suru ho gaya uskr bad, and whoosh I was transferred to lawngtlai.
  • IMG_20180515_001314.png
    1080 x 447 - 115K
  • Jo admi itna soch raha hai.. Wo leave nahi le sakta... I cant answer his questions now.
  • edited May 2018
    sayonara
  • His next queries would be,

1. Could you ask if I would get 12 months' salary without attending office?
    2. Can I get 5 year leave?
    3. Etc :mrgreen:
  • Bhai 2-3 weeks main kuch nahi hota. 2-3 months ki unauthorised leave par bank harkat main aayega.
  • coolbuddy said:

Jo admi itna soch raha hai.. Wo leave nahi le sakta... I cant answer his questions now.
    Depends on HR/manager. Mera HR chutiya tha. Aisa nahi hain ki har koi chutiya ho.

Branch pe manager/Sr.mngr, aur CO ya RO mein HR.

But 2 weeks mein normally bank bharakta nahi
  • Thanks buddies!
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google