We are hiring!

UPSC 2017 Final analysis (all optionals)

Comments

• om03 said:

The penalty is definitely not there for not striking off blank pages. Didn't stike off any pages on any of the 7 answer sheets , no penalty was levied.

How do you get to know, whether there was penalty levied or not? Did you file RTI?
    Bhai mere if there has been a penalty, it is mentioned in the marksheet that we get when the marks are released.
    And yes, there is no penalty for not striking off the pages. I've also failed to strike the blank pages in a few papers, no penalty.

om03 said:

The penalty is definitely not there for not striking off blank pages. Didn't stike off any pages on any of the 7 answer sheets , no penalty was levied.

How do you get to know, whether there was penalty levied or not? Did you file RTI?
    Bhai mere if there has been a penalty, it is mentioned in the marksheet that we get when the marks are released.
    And yes, there is no penalty for not striking off the pages. I've also failed to strike the blank pages in a few papers, no penalty.
    @DrKingSchultz

Please tell me is it essential to strike off blank pages in mains?

Has this rule been mentioned anywhere ?

Thank you.
    BA History - Political science. LLB. LLM student.
    Optional - History
  • I have given 3upsc attempts from Hindi medium having optional Hindi literature....but failed in all
    Although I did not do any coaching .I have paucity of resources so , preparing from my home ().after analysing I hv found may be it is because of Hindi medium.so I'm thinking to switch over English .I m not appearing in 2018 exam.problem is that I don't have any one(no peer ,no teacher,no mentor nothing)who can evaluate my present English or suggest me how to improve it.i am a simple b.a student who did all his study in Hindi.although I have confidence that I can do it.p lz guide me
    Eagerly waiting for suggestion
  • stalwart said:

I have given 3upsc attempts from Hindi medium having optional Hindi literature....but failed in all
    Although I did not do any coaching .I have paucity of resources so , preparing from my home ().after analysing I hv found may be it is because of Hindi medium.so I'm thinking to switch over English .I m not appearing in 2018 exam.problem is that I don't have any one(no peer ,no teacher,no mentor nothing)who can evaluate my present English or suggest me how to improve it.i am a simple b.a student who did all his study in Hindi.although I have confidence that I can do it.p lz guide me
    Eagerly waiting for suggestion

Writing in english is good because of availability of resources but many toppers have cleared with hindi medium like Nishant jain or Ganga singh. I would suggest you to talk to Drishti IAS director vikas devkriti sir. He guides student from hindi medium as well as teaches hindi optional. very supportive person.he ll surely help you.
  • edited May 2018

abhi44 said:

As per my own analysis and talking to friends who have got top ranks this year it is clear that anthro, maths & law have got very good marks this year. And they do get good marks every year. In anthro and law you don't need to sit with too many books to get 280+ marks, just mug up some coaching institute notes and get 280+ with relative ease whereas in other humanities subjects inspite of reading a dozen books you don't get 280+ and you won't get 280+ because such is the nature of those subjects i.e. they are open to interpretation. The answers you write in socio, pub ad, history & geo, even if you think are best answers in the world still they are open to interpretation of the examiner. There is no wrong and right answer. And clearly, there is no scaling, thanks to upsc. So be wise while choosing optional. Choose a subject that leaves no room for interpretation if you want to get a top rank in one year. Or else, struggle with humanities subjects for 3-4 years to get a top rank(even then there's no guarantee).

Most of the people selected with law are from law schools and they have spent 5 years reading those books. Law is one subject with the most bulkiest syllabus.

There might be a few engineers who might have got through after reading coaching notes in law.
    But, until and unless you have a law background or you spend months reading and making notes out of yhose bulky books, law is real tough. Exceptions are always there and then as we say, exception proves the rule.
    I dont think those who are socring highly in law are doing so by intensive study. I have a totally different theory but my theory is in itself a bit embarrassing. What to do...
    You are right. Those scoring high in law are good at mugging up or and they have to be good at mugging up. Many questions are repeated in law. I personally know a person who was from non law background and got a good rank because of law and just by doing notes of 2 coaching institutes. But when you come to forum here people will tell you that you need to be LLB or from NLU or spend five years studying law to get good marks in law and all that stupid shit.. while in reality I know guys with no background and in a single attempt have got marks as good as those grads from NLU.
  • abhi44 said:

As per my own analysis and talking to friends who have got top ranks this year it is clear that anthro, maths & law have got very good marks this year. And they do get good marks every year. In anthro and law you don't need to sit with too many books to get 280+ marks, just mug up some coaching institute notes and get 280+ with relative ease whereas in other humanities subjects inspite of reading a dozen books you don't get 280+ and you won't get 280+ because such is the nature of those subjects i.e. they are open to interpretation. The answers you write in socio, pub ad, history & geo, even if you think are best answers in the world still they are open to interpretation of the examiner. There is no wrong and right answer. And clearly, there is no scaling, thanks to upsc. So be wise while choosing optional. Choose a subject that leaves no room for interpretation if you want to get a top rank in one year. Or else, struggle with humanities subjects for 3-4 years to get a top rank(even then there's no guarantee).

Most of the people selected with law are from law schools and they have spent 5 years reading those books. Law is one subject with the most bulkiest syllabus.

There might be a few engineers who might have got through after reading coaching notes in law.
    But, until and unless you have a law background or you spend months reading and making notes out of yhose bulky books, law is real tough. Exceptions are always there and then as we say, exception proves the rule.
    I dont think those who are socring highly in law are doing so by intensive study. I have a totally different theory but my theory is in itself a bit embarrassing. What to do...
    The theory that most of the candidates clearing with law optional belong to NLUs and have spent 5+ years with the subject is a pretty big myth. Howsoever counterintuitive it might seem, several candidates with law optional are from non law background relying on "stopgap sources" like dukkis, nirvana notes and the likes thereof. An even greater chunk belongs to the so called non-elite law schools (GLCs, Fac Law, RU). Apart from NLU-D, I haven't see NLS, NALSAR and NUJS junta clearing the exam with good ranks.
  • My theory is the exact opposite of what you are saying @paranthapijja

I think the law papers with too much ''law'' are being awarded less than those with simpler language and GS'esque presentation. My own experience is this. But then it sounds very absurd.

In paper 1 law I wrote all maxims and what not. At the time of writing , not a single question seemed difficult to me. I thought I'd aced it. But marks are embarrassingly low.

I can also say that my own assessment of my performance is usually close to final marks (I had anticipated shitty marks in GS3) but this law paper 1 is making me revaluate lots of things. Even now when I look at the questions I feel I knew everything and wrote well.
  • abhi44 said:

You are right. Those scoring high in law are good at mugging up or and they have to be good at mugging up. Many questions are repeated in law. I personally know a person who was from non law background and got a good rank because of law and just by doing notes of 2 coaching institutes. But when you come to forum here people will tell you that you need to be LLB or from NLU or spend five years studying law to get good marks in law and all that stupid shit.. while in reality I know guys with no background and in a single attempt have got marks as good as those grads from NLU.
    I mugged up. I mugged up like I have never mugged before. Ask me any important section from IPC/contract and ill quote verbatim. Robbery and Theft question- I wrote the entire section and explained the difference. So mugging up is probably also not the answer. I am really in need of some closure over this, if any selected candidate/ non selected candidate would show me their mock answers Ill know where I went wrong.
  • abhi44 said:

I mugged up. I mugged up like I have never mugged before. Ask me any important section from IPC/contract and ill quote verbatim. Robbery and Theft question- I wrote the entire section and explained the difference. So mugging up is probably also not the answer. I am really in need of some closure over this, if any selected candidate/ non selected candidate would show me their mock answers Ill know where I went wrong.
    bakchodi reward hoti hai bhai, knowledge nahi. Neither in GS nor in optional.
    Exam wants mediocrity. And striking that balance is what the entire luck thing is.
    Deputy Collector and Sub-Divisional Magistrate - Government of Gujarat.
    Prelims - 6*; Mains - 3; Interviews - 2; Rank - NA.
    "Apna Time Aayega"
  • abhi44 said:

Exam wants mediocrity. And striking that balance is what the entire luck thing is.
    Specially once you have worked very hard on your content. Taking the content to a respectable standard is hard. Dumbing it down is another ball game altogether. But we can only slog. Good luck sir.
  • Guys can anyone plz share post wise vacancy breakup for CSE 2017....need urgently...thnxx in advance
  • abhi44 said:

Specially once you have worked very hard on your content. Taking the content to a respectable standard is hard. Dumbing it down is another ball game altogether. But we can only slog. Good luck sir.
    Yes, hope luck shines on us this time. Thanks and good luck to you too! :)
    "Apna Time Aayega"
  • edited May 2018

abhi44 said:

Not sure about optional (my guess yahan bhi hoti hi hogi), lekin GS me to 100% reward hoti hai...3 baar ka experience bolta hai.. :mrgreen:
    I've deleted my gmail account. So your messages won't reach me. ATB. :)
  • abhi44 said:

Not sure about optional (my guess yahan bhi hoti hi hogi), lekin GS me to 100% reward hoti hai...3 baar ka experience bolta hai.. :mrgreen:
    Please define backchodi with examples
    HUSTLE
  • abhi44 said:

I don't get the meaning of bakchodi? Sir, Every topper suggests that content should be good always
    Shouldn't it be so?
  • Although the thread is not appropriate fr my question, but there is no other thread fr this, so asking here.
    Has anyone got 500+ marks in mains gs?
    if yes can anyone plz share the marksheet..
    An Ardent Civil services Aspirant, Bibliophile, Bodybuilder, Comics (Doga) Fan, Cook, Cynophile, Linguaphile, Nature Lover, Numismatist, Photographer, Soccer( Cristiano Ronaldo)Fan......

• abhi44 said:

The theory that most of the candidates clearing with law optional belong to NLUs and have spent 5+ years with the subject is a pretty big myth. Howsoever counterintuitive it might seem, several candidates with law optional are from non law background relying on "stopgap sources" like dukkis, nirvana notes and the likes thereof. An even greater chunk belongs to the so called non-elite law schools (GLCs, Fac Law, RU). Apart from NLU-D, I haven't see NLS, NALSAR and NUJS junta clearing the exam with good ranks.
    You shouldn't make such statements without knowing the facts. Law is inherently a bulky subject, however, once you get the concepts right, it's highly unlikely you'll forget it. Now this debate b/w NLUs and non- NLUs is childish. I can tell you that 2 IPS and 1 IRS are from NUJS this year, topper from Law is from NLUD, plus many more who have cleared from NLUs. At the same time, I can also tell you about a topper from ILS as well.
    So, you can see that NLU or no NLU makes no difference. In the end, it all depends on how well you prepare on your own. This is the reason why even students with non-law background and having law as an optional, can also clear this exam.
    All the best :)
  • edited May 2018

Although the thread is not appropriate fr my question, but there is no other thread fr this, so asking here.
    Has anyone got 500+ marks in mains gs?
    if yes can anyone plz share the marksheet..

--
    HUSTLE
  • @KungFuPanda_7 this might help , also many toppers had posted detailed marksheet in one of threads ( where marksheet out was announced, but unable to find it now)
    pdf
    pdf
    mainswise sorted marks cse 2017.pdf
    HUSTLE
  • abhi44 said:

I don't get the meaning of bakchodi? Sir, Every topper suggests that content should be good always
    Shouldn't it be so?
    I can tell by my personal experience that generic answers with no in-depth content fetches a lot more marks than specific answers with relevant facts and data points.
    I scored 420 in 2016 in GS with absolutely generic answers since it was my first mains and my prep was not upto the mark. This year I made notes of committees, facts, data, wrote them all in the papers as required, and my score decreased by 30 marks. Same thing happened with a couple of other friends (we prepared together).
    One of my acquaintances scored 470 in GS last time (I think he might've been among the top 10 scorers in GS last time) and 400 this time with no plausible reason for the massive decrease in the score.
    The key is to strike the right balance between generic and specific points, facts and flowcharts etc, and then leave the rest to luck.
    "Apna Time Aayega"
  • abhi44 said:

Shouldn't it be so?
    I can tell by my personal experience that generic answers with no in-depth content fetches a lot more marks than specific answers with relevant facts and data points.
    I scored 420 in 2016 in GS with absolutely generic answers since it was my first mains and my prep was not upto the mark. This year I made notes of committees, facts, data, wrote them all in the papers as required, and my score decreased by 30 marks. Same thing happened with a couple of other friends (we prepared together).
    One of my acquaintances scored 470 in GS last time (I think he might've been among the top 10 scorers in GS last time) and 400 this time with no plausible reason for the massive decrease in the score.
    The key is to strike the right balance between generic and specific points, facts and flowcharts etc, and then leave the rest to luck.
    Seems we need to have seprate discussion on "backchodi answer writing technique" @DrKingSchultz

P.s this must be seriously looked into and analysed as genral preception is that one must backup their views with reports , judgements etc (toppers from forum have said this too)
    HUSTLE
  • abhi44 said:

Shouldn't it be so?
    @Cremator And @federer can contribute too.
    I've deleted my gmail account. So your messages won't reach me. ATB. :)
  • @KungFuPanda_7 this might help , also many toppers had posted detailed marksheet in one of threads ( where marksheet out was announced, but unable to find it now)

This is not gs specific, but thanks anyways mate :)
    An Ardent Civil services Aspirant, Bibliophile, Bodybuilder, Comics (Doga) Fan, Cook, Cynophile, Linguaphile, Nature Lover, Numismatist, Photographer, Soccer( Cristiano Ronaldo)Fan......

• abhi44 said:

Shouldn't it be so?
    I had a similar though not same experience. I tried to include facts, committee recommendations in GS (specially GS2- wrote article numbers, cases wherever they fit) and marks are not as good as previous mains. Was looking at Mudit Jain's mock answers and realise that maybe all that 'noun quoting' is not required.
  • Good preparation makes you psychologically competent to take this exam though. I had massively ignored paper 3 (eco part specially) bw prelims and mains and even while i was writing answers I could feel that paper 3 would be my undoing.

So my takeaway is : too much quality content = sub par marks
    too much bakar = poor marks.

As king schultz says- balance is needed.
  • @plain_dosa01 @DrKingSchultz R backchod answers like - Firstpost articles? and Non Backchod Like - Hindu ? Ans balance one maybe like - IE or LM? - Is it- simple way of explaining things in laymen terms + thoda bahut topic-specific keywords daaldo answer me? Matlab Man ki baat + thodi kaam ki baat?
  • Can we, like, not use that B word?

It's crass and lowly.

Sigh!

It's crass and lowly.

Sigh!

Do you mean "bakar"?

abhi44 said:

Shouldn't it be so?
    Seems we need to have seprate discussion on "backchodi answer writing technique" @DrKingSchultz

P.s this must be seriously looked into and analysed as genral preception is that one must backup their views with reports , judgements etc (toppers from forum have said this too)
    That's because no one denigrates the value of the pedestal everyone has put this exam on.
    If I would be selected next time, I would not say "This exam desires mediocrity, don't write specific stuff etc". The media would have a field day. Plus people would have a hard time believing that people put in 4-5 years of their youth to learn how to do bakar.
    "Apna Time Aayega"

It's crass and lowly.

Sigh!

Do you mean "bakar"?

abhi44 said:

Shouldn't it be so?

That's because no one denigrates the value of the pedestal everyone has put this exam on.
    If I would be selected next time, I would not say "This exam desires mediocrity, don't write specific stuff etc". The media would have a field day. Plus people would have a hard time believing that people put in 4-5 years of their youth to learn how to do bakar.
    +1
    HUSTLE
  • Bakar word mein kya problem hai? I am a girl, I dont find it crass. Causal, flippant maybe. But crass? Also, what is the alternative to the word bakar?

@SayyanMonk Very difficult to say what UPSC desires. I am re-working my answer writing to be more argument based and less factual. And where argument based questions are not asked, will focus on cutting across topical boundaries.

Like in the stem cell question- I wrote only few points about the utility of stem cell therapy like organ harvesting, reducing auto immune disorders. I feel I should have done a bit more unrelated bakar. Like Stem cell therapy is different from genetic engineering but I should have combined the two and written how stem cell therapy is beneficial in curing genetic diseases. Baki ab next mains ke marks ke baad pata chalega.

It's crass and lowly.

Sigh!

Do you mean "bakar"?

abhi44 said:

Shouldn't it be so?

spot on.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly