We are hiring!

UPSC 2017 Final analysis (all optionals)

Comments

• edited May 2018
    IasReform said:

Ambiguity ruled over prelims 2017. Apart from that, a new phenomenon from prelims 2015-2017 is extreme crowding at one or two marks in a manner that, hundreds unlucky candidates at/around cut-off mark lose out. This occurred before also in upsc & in every exam. but when marks are halved from 400 to 200, its a horrifying situation in the prelims marking.

Nutshell : injustice has occurred & if neutrally adjudicated(without falling prey to the constitutional stature & autonomy of upsc & one-sided power of Supreme Court), the redressal is attempt in 2018 itself, if adjudged by the standards of whats quoted in emblem - Satyameva Jayte.

P. S. From 1979 - 2010, merit list in prelims was calculated out of 450 marks.

From 2011-2013, out of 400 marks. In 2014, 15 marks of english were negated & the paper was of 385 marks.

From 2015 onwards, the total marks is 200. This is like moving towards chaos & disorder - Its being highly unscientific. Where the need was examining candidates on diversified subjects with higher range of marks like 500-600 or at least 450+ to reduce randomness & luck, opposite occurred & candidates accepted it, instead of mass protesting.

Welcome to India my man, here every government works to appease its votebank however small it may be and thus, majority gets affected as a result. Thousands of students with low aptitude protested against csat and asked for its removal. And voila! Govt. accepted it and made csat redudant, thus prelims became a game of luck.
  • edited May 2018

IasReform said:

Ambiguity ruled over prelims 2017. Apart from that, a new phenomenon from prelims 2015-2017 is extreme crowding at one or two marks in a manner that, hundreds unlucky candidates at/around cut-off mark lose out. This occurred before also in upsc & in every exam. but when marks are halved from 400 to 200, its a horrifying situation in the prelims marking.

Nutshell : injustice has occurred & if neutrally adjudicated(without falling prey to the constitutional stature & autonomy of upsc & one-sided power of Supreme Court), the redressal is attempt in 2018 itself, if adjudged by the standards of whats quoted in emblem - Satyameva Jayte.

P. S. From 1979 - 2010, merit list in prelims was calculated out of 450 marks.

From 2011-2013, out of 400 marks. In 2014, 15 marks of english were negated & the paper was of 385 marks.

From 2015 onwards, the total marks is 200. This is like moving towards chaos & disorder - Its being highly unscientific. Where the need was examining candidates on diversified subjects with higher range of marks like 500-600 or at least 450+ to reduce randomness & luck, opposite occurred & candidates accepted it, instead of mass protesting.

Welcome to India my man, here every government works to appease its votebank however small it may be and thus, majority gets affected as a result. Thousands of students with low aptitude protested against csat and asked for its removal. And voila! Govt. accepted it and made csat redudant, thus prelims became a game of luck.

• The penalty is definitely not there for not striking off blank pages. Didn't stike off any pages on any of the 7 answer sheets , no penalty was levied.

How do you get to know, whether there was penalty levied or not? Did you file RTI?
  • Hi guys... these are the marks of this year(CSE-2017) maths Optional scores,375, 368, 363,, 359,334, 331, 330, 330, 328, 324, 319,319, 313, 313, 309,307,307,, 307, 305,304,304,,302,302 and many more...
  • om03 said:

The penalty is definitely not there for not striking off blank pages. Didn't stike off any pages on any of the 7 answer sheets , no penalty was levied.

How do you get to know, whether there was penalty levied or not? Did you file RTI?
    Bhai mere if there has been a penalty, it is mentioned in the marksheet that we get when the marks are released.
    And yes, there is no penalty for not striking off the pages. I've also failed to strike the blank pages in a few papers, no penalty.
    Deputy Collector and Sub-Divisional Magistrate - Government of Gujarat.
    Prelims - 6*; Mains - 3; Interviews - 2; Rank - NA.
    "Apna Time Aayega"
  • edited May 2018
    Mformaths said:

Hi guys... these are the marks of this year(CSE-2017) maths Optional scores,375, 368, 363,, 359,334, 331, 330, 330, 328, 324, 319,319, 313, 313, 309,307,307,, 307, 305,304,304,,302,302 and many more...

to kya ****** :mrgreen:

root note: Account suspended for posting obscene images
  • Mformaths said:

Hi guys... these are the marks of this year(CSE-2017) maths Optional scores,375, 368, 363,, 359,334, 331, 330, 330, 328, 324, 319,319, 313, 313, 309,307,307,, 307, 305,304,304,,302,302 and many more...

घोर कलियुग है
  • Mformaths said:

This is partially true. What is the rank of candidate scoring 363 and 359?
  • om03 said:

The penalty is definitely not there for not striking off blank pages. Didn't stike off any pages on any of the 7 answer sheets , no penalty was levied.

Bhai mere if there has been a penalty, it is mentioned in the marksheet that we get when the marks are released.
    And yes, there is no penalty for not striking off the pages. I've also failed to strike the blank pages in a few papers, no penalty.
    Okay. Thank you for clarifying sir☺️
  • om03 said:

In which marksheet it's mentioned? I did this in this year's mains...could found any discrete mention of penalty marks in my marksheet
  • IWDMI said:

Any idea how literature optionals have fared ?

Maths looks to have got quite high marks. Dunno the scale they used; but it would be highly unfair to expect anyone from Humanities to reach 350+ lest it be Geography.

do you know how much effort maths and science optional student have to put in.
    May b u have taken these optionals,so think so.all optionals even with relatively little syllabus takes efforts.take 4 instance pub ad,in 1 reading/year u won't grasp concepts since no organised study in any indian CLG.next year a lil il go in Ur head. third year with answer writing and searching examples urself 4 topics like motivation il make u feel like roaming arnd earth+unexpected ques and checking!!so see even if u read 18 hrs 4 pub ad,u won't get in first attempt.not 4 maths and science.now say what's tough!!and by the way science optionals have nt tht much use in admin unlike othrs.basic knowledge s nough.see rank 8 marks.remove optional and he s below AVG !!
    He got good marks in essay , gs 2 , gs 3 , optional. only in interview he got avg marks
  • https://chat.whatsapp.com/9ujOVhOSGOB6dW6veoGltX
    Plz guys who have marks within the range of 1006 to 1002 join the reserve list
  • mahi2501 said:

om03 said:

In which marksheet it's mentioned? I did this in this year's mains...could found any discrete mention of penalty marks in my marksheet
    If it's not mentioned in your marksheet, you haven't been penalized.
    Deputy Collector and Sub-Divisional Magistrate - Government of Gujarat.
    Prelims - 6*; Mains - 3; Interviews - 2; Rank - NA.
    "Apna Time Aayega"
  • Mformaths said:

to kya BC nache :mrgreen:
    Yup, do the Cobra dance. Upload it on YouTube. And share the link here :mrgreen:
  • Mformaths said:

galat baat
  • 'In math, if your score is less than 300, you know nothing' - UPSC.

:mrgreen:
  • Mformaths said:

to kya BC nache :mrgreen:
    haha
  • As per my own analysis and talking to friends who have got top ranks this year it is clear that anthro, maths & law have got very good marks this year. And they do get good marks every year. In anthro and law you don't need to sit with too many books to get 280+ marks, just mug up some coaching institute notes and get 280+ with relative ease whereas in other humanities subjects inspite of reading a dozen books you don't get 280+ and you won't get 280+ because such is the nature of those subjects i.e. they are open to interpretation. The answers you write in socio, pub ad, history & geo, even if you think are best answers in the world still they are open to interpretation of the examiner. There is no wrong and right answer. And clearly, there is no scaling, thanks to upsc. So be wise while choosing optional. Choose a subject that leaves no room for interpretation if you want to get a top rank in one year. Or else, struggle with humanities subjects for 3-4 years to get a top rank(even then there's no guarantee).

As per my own analysis and talking to friends who have got top ranks this year it is clear that anthro, maths & law have got very good marks this year. And they do get good marks every year. In anthro and law you don't need to sit with too many books to get 280+ marks, just mug up some coaching institute notes and get 280+ with relative ease whereas in other humanities subjects inspite of reading a dozen books you don't get 280+ and you won't get 280+ because such is the nature of those subjects i.e. they are open to interpretation. The answers you write in socio, pub ad, history & geo, even if you think are best answers in the world still they are open to interpretation of the examiner. There is no wrong and right answer. And clearly, there is no scaling, thanks to upsc. So be wise while choosing optional. Choose a subject that leaves no room for interpretation if you want to get a top rank in one year. Or else, struggle with humanities subjects for 3-4 years to get a top rank(even then there's no guarantee).

@ walterwhite there is scaling . you can file RTI. people at Bangalore filed and UPSC replied saying they try to ensure parity or some such legal phrase but they admitted to scaling.
    Upsc has abandoned scaling for science optionals which was there earlier. Guys with maths optional are getting as high as 370, what does that tell you? There is scaling ? So where is that ?
    1. after prelims if you have time please file an RTI . problem is we must compell them to reveal the normalization technique or formula which they did not in the past. Maybe they are using some old formula which was useful in the 2 optionals scheme of things and have not revised leading to more uncertainity. so if you have a large circle of friends file different RTI's
    2. not everyone in maths optionals get good marks . people in the middle get butchered in science optionals and people only talk of toppers.
    3. without doubt optionals takes away level playing field . i myself because of history and its ambiguity have suffered.
  • How to reach orn from ndls? Ola vs auto metro, kya convenient hoga?
  • edited May 2018

How to reach orn from ndls? Ola vs auto metro, kya convenient hoga?

Take metro bro. Will save your time and money. Take yellow line i.e. from New Delhi to Rajeev chowk and then blue line i.e.from Rajeev chowk to Karol Bag. Will hardly take 10 mins.
    If you ask for convenience, then uber and ola obviously.
  • How to reach orn from ndls? Ola vs auto metro, kya convenient hoga?

Take metro bro. Will save your time and money. Take yellow line i.e. from New Delhi to Rajeev chowk and then blue line i.e.from Rajeev chowk to Karol Bag. Will hardly take 10 mins.
    I am going to delhi first time and have no idea of these lines. Ok bro i will do this.
  • edited May 2018

How to reach orn from ndls? Ola vs auto metro, kya convenient hoga?

I am going to delhi first time and have no idea of these lines. Ok bro i will do this.
    Better take cab then. You will get confused if it is your first time in Delhi metro and frustated too seeing the too much rush there. Book uber. It will pick you up in five minutes. It's 5km distance. Should cost you around 100 bucks on Uber go. Cab will be more convenient.
  • edited May 2018
    Penalty marks (5 marks generally) awarded/deducted for basically following reasons:

1. Not legible handwriting (very linient standards.. if u touch nadir and frustrate the examiner by ur 'Boustrophedon' script u might get -5 out of total).

2. Not writing in prescribed language/script (like using over english/hindi if ur chosen medium is converse. Or not using International form of numerals like १ २ ३ ४ ५ ६ ७ ८ ९ ० ye nhi chalega in english script !)

3. Few other extreme cases.. like violating GROSSLY the instructions provided by upsc in mains such as

- Don't write Beyond prescribed margins.
    - Don't attempt extra questions (outsmarting examiner !)
    - koi gaana/gaali/bhaaw-puran request krna mains paper m jese MY MOTHER'S LAST WISH TO SEE ME AN IAS. PLEASE COOPERATE !

etc etc.

In short any GROSS VIOLATION of upsc general instructions may lend you in penalty marks and sometimes it matters ! So BE CAREFUL.

Every year ~5+ people in mains get penalty deduction in mains score. Don't be in the demon's list ! :wink:
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • Mulberry said:

'In math, if your score is less than 300, you know nothing' - UPSC.

:mrgreen:

AIR 13 scored 299 :')
  • Penalty marks (5 marks generally) awarded/deducted for basically following reasons:

1. Not legible handwriting (very linient standards.. if u touch nadir and frustrate the examiner by ur 'Boustrophedon' script u might get -5 out of total).

2. Not writing in prescribed language/script (like using over english/hindi if ur chosen medium is converse. Or not using International form of numerals like १ २ ३ ४ ५ ६ ७ ८ ९ ० ye nhi chalega in english script !)

3. Few other extreme cases.. like violating GROSSLY the instructions provided by upsc in mains such as

- koi gaana/gaali/bhaaw-puran request krna mains paper m jese MY MOTHER'S LAST WISH TO SEE ME AN IAS. PLEASE COOPERATE !

etc etc.

In short any GROSS VIOLATION of upsc general instructions may lend you in penalty marks and sometimes it matters ! So BE CAREFUL.

Every year ~5+ people in mains get penalty deduction in mains score. Don't be in the demon's list ! :wink:

sir margin ka to yaad h mujhe. maine gs 3 me margin se bahar likha tha thoda sa. baaki or violation type to kuch nhi kiya.
    or numerals wala-- maine points format me jab likha to waha number wise point nhi diye, balki star dalke points banaye the kuch questions me. for eg
    1)...........
    2)..........

aisa nhi likh ke
    * ---------
    aisa star dalke point wise likha tha.

is baar to kat gye maraks, next time yaad rkhunga.

IMG_20180514_150012.jpg
    720 x 644 - 119K
  • omnicrave said:

Penalty marks (5 marks generally) awarded/deducted for basically following reasons:

etc etc.

sir margin ka to yaad h mujhe. maine gs 3 me margin se bahar likha tha thoda sa. baaki or violation type to kuch nhi kiya.
    or numerals wala-- maine points format me jab likha to waha number wise point nhi diye, balki star dalke points banaye the kuch questions me. for eg
    1)...........
    2)..........

aisa nhi likh ke
    * ---------

Bhai RTI daal do, pata chalega galti kaha hua hai, so that you don't repeat it for sure next time.
  • pizzza said:

omnicrave said:

etc etc.

1)...........
    2)..........

aisa nhi likh ke
    * ---------

Bhai RTI daal do, pata chalega galti kaha hua hai, so that you don't repeat it for sure next time.
    han sir, wohi karta hun. mai kal dal rha tha rtionline portal pe. submit hi nhi ho rhi thi. koi speccific format hai kya rti file karne ka?
  • abhi44 said:

As per my own analysis and talking to friends who have got top ranks this year it is clear that anthro, maths & law have got very good marks this year. And they do get good marks every year. In anthro and law you don't need to sit with too many books to get 280+ marks, just mug up some coaching institute notes and get 280+ with relative ease whereas in other humanities subjects inspite of reading a dozen books you don't get 280+ and you won't get 280+ because such is the nature of those subjects i.e. they are open to interpretation. The answers you write in socio, pub ad, history & geo, even if you think are best answers in the world still they are open to interpretation of the examiner. There is no wrong and right answer. And clearly, there is no scaling, thanks to upsc. So be wise while choosing optional. Choose a subject that leaves no room for interpretation if you want to get a top rank in one year. Or else, struggle with humanities subjects for 3-4 years to get a top rank(even then there's no guarantee).

Most of the people selected with law are from law schools and they have spent 5 years reading those books. Law is one subject with the most bulkiest syllabus.

There might be a few engineers who might have got through after reading coaching notes in law.
    But, until and unless you have a law background or you spend months reading and making notes out of yhose bulky books, law is real tough. Exceptions are always there and then as we say, exception proves the rule.
    I dont think those who are socring highly in law are doing so by intensive study. I have a totally different theory but my theory is in itself a bit embarrassing. What to do...
  • New rule for cadre/service selection... :o
    pdf
    pdf
    5_6339026666928472113.pdf
  • what about pol. science ? Do we need to learn lots of data ?
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly