We are hiring!

UPSC 2017 Final analysis (all optionals)

24567

Comments

  • edited May 2018
    dpagarwal said:



    whats interesting is that most of selected candidates have recommended that coaching @ elhi is necessary and one should opt for it @Neyawn sir would be better person to comment on this trend

    I watched many toppers videos of this year on various coachings youtube channels.
    Their common advice was. If you are getting financial support from family , stay in delhi and prepare full time.

    @dpagarwal bhai i misread the data ,corrected my comment now , most selected have recommended not to go with coaching including rank 42 ( @federer , i think ) and rank 22 [rank 3 sachin sir has said ki one should do coaching]
    HUSTLE
  • edited May 2018
    most selected candidates have recommended that coaching is not required and one should Not goto Delhi for it.

    one person ( top ranker ) said in one of telegram group ( i think in India bhai's group) that one must join coaching so as to understand/realise that He/SHE should not have joined the coaching ( to avoid that uncertainty and regret , ki delhi wale pta ni kya kra re honge) , he also added that one who cant discipline his self study cant discipline himself in coaching too , and will get overwhelmed

    baki @Neyawn sir has a very diff take on this , and you must follow that , but this is something which must be discussed , as most probably the method of coaching prevalent in top institutes like Pajiram and PisionIAS is whats the issue here , maybe insights and forum's very own FFP are different and may cover these short comings
    HUSTLE
  • Neyawn said:

    dpagarwal said:

    Philosophy rocks

    philosphy is 2.3% , geography is 23.9% , in this small sample size
    Hindi lit selection?
    Refer the spreadsheet shared above
    Thanks sir.
    Only one guy. That too not selected.
    Rasatal par chala gya h ye subject.
    sample size is too smaal , 500 tk responses hote , with atleast 200 selected candidates to fyda tha but announcement ni bna yeh thread , so km responses hi aaye
    You're right.
    @root @Neyawn please make this thread an announcement. It'll be really very helpful for us starters.

    As you wish, your grace!
    Saadar pranam.
  • edited May 2018
    Mechanical optional koi leta hi nahi so sad critically endangered species hai mechanical wale

    root note: Account suspended for posting obscene images
  • dpagarwal said:



    whats interesting is that most of selected candidates have recommended that coaching @ elhi is necessary and one should opt for it @Neyawn sir would be better person to comment on this trend

    I watched many toppers videos of this year on various coachings youtube channels.
    Their common advice was. If you are getting financial support from family , stay in delhi and prepare full time.

    @dpagarwal bhai i misread the data ,corrected my comment now , most selected have recommended not to go with coaching including rank 42 ( @federer , i think ) and rank 22 [rank 3 sachin sir has said ki one should do coaching]
    Yep
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

    Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

    https://sudhirgahlot.wordpress.com
  • My take on coaching

    I didnt take any coaching for General Studies.Have always been supporter of self study.Nothing beats that.Saves ton of time.

    however,never feel that you are lacking on something, by not attending coaching.If you have that inferiority,then better take coaching.

    In my opinion,coaching’s only benefit is to cover the syllabus and keep you in routine and competitive environment.However,if you are sincere and consistent, then you can do it yourself.I assure you one thing - There is no topic in general studies which you cant undersrand by yourself.

    So,decide and take the plunge.
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

    Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

    https://sudhirgahlot.wordpress.com
  • federer said:

    My take on coaching

    I didnt take any coaching for General Studies.Have always been supporter of self study.Nothing beats that.Saves ton of time.

    however,never feel that you are lacking on something, by not attending coaching.If you have that inferiority,then better take coaching.

    In my opinion,coaching’s only benefit is to cover the syllabus and keep you in routine and competitive environment.However,if you are sincere and consistent, then you can do it yourself.I assure you one thing - There is no topic in general studies which you cant undersrand by yourself.

    So,decide and take the plunge.

    Sir plz tellbabout coming to delhi. Lots of topper of this year are saying in their videos that remain in delhi if your family supports you.
    And also plz writebsomething aboutbsociology
  • dpagarwal said:

    federer said:

    My take on coaching

    I didnt take any coaching for General Studies.Have always been supporter of self study.Nothing beats that.Saves ton of time.

    however,never feel that you are lacking on something, by not attending coaching.If you have that inferiority,then better take coaching.

    In my opinion,coaching’s only benefit is to cover the syllabus and keep you in routine and competitive environment.However,if you are sincere and consistent, then you can do it yourself.I assure you one thing - There is no topic in general studies which you cant undersrand by yourself.

    So,decide and take the plunge.

    Sir plz tellbabout coming to delhi. Lots of topper of this year are saying in their videos that remain in delhi if your family supports you.
    And also plz writebsomething aboutbsociology
    About coming to delhi

    Anyday its your personal call bhai....I dont find people living in ORN or MN having any secret advantage over others.....But again,its a personal chOice....I find ORN junta very depressing and negative.....so yes,do some cost benefit analysis.....and decide.And if u r planning to come to delhi,then do enroll in a test series and give its every test very diligently.....thats the best use of "coming to delhi"....if u arent taking coaching.

    Amd socio strategy .....will write in detail bhai,free hote hi
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

    Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

    https://sudhirgahlot.wordpress.com
  • @zohanmukharjee

    please share results of this field- would u llike people to go with your optional
  • Ph0enix said:

    @zohanmukharjee

    please share results of this field- would u llike people to go with your optional

    Please refer the spreadsheet shared above(most slected candidates have reccomended to go with their optional , exception of pub ad. And geography)
    HUSTLE
  • Any idea how literature optionals have fared ?


    Maths looks to have got quite high marks. Dunno the scale they used; but it would be highly unfair to expect anyone from Humanities to reach 350+ lest it be Geography.
  • Any idea how literature optionals have fared ?


    Maths looks to have got quite high marks. Dunno the scale they used; but it would be highly unfair to expect anyone from Humanities to reach 350+ lest it be Geography.

    do you know how much effort maths and science optional student have to put in.

    root note: Account suspended for posting obscene images
  • edited May 2018

    Any idea how literature optionals have fared ?


    Maths looks to have got quite high marks. Dunno the scale they used; but it would be highly unfair to expect anyone from Humanities to reach 350+ lest it be Geography.

    do you know how much effort maths and science optional student have to put in.
    That depends on an individual and please don't assume that Humanities optional doesn't work hard for it.

    Also in Paper 2 maths as Anubhav Singh has pointed out, there is hardly any scaling... He claims to have attempted 205 marks correctly and got 185... But do you expect a History optional, to ever get 180+ in 250, even if Bipin Chandra's ghost attempted it ???
  • edited May 2018

    Any idea how literature optionals have fared ?


    Maths looks to have got quite high marks. Dunno the scale they used; but it would be highly unfair to expect anyone from Humanities to reach 350+ lest it be Geography.

    do you know how much effort maths and science optional student have to put in.
    May b u have taken these optionals,so think so.all optionals even with relatively little syllabus takes efforts.take 4 instance pub ad,in 1 reading/year u won't grasp concepts since no organised study in any indian CLG.next year a lil il go in Ur head. third year with answer writing and searching examples urself 4 topics like motivation il make u feel like roaming arnd earth+unexpected ques and checking!!so see even if u read 18 hrs 4 pub ad,u won't get in first attempt.not 4 maths and science.now say what's tough!!and by the way science optionals have nt tht much use in admin unlike othrs.basic knowledge s nough.see rank 8 marks.remove optional and he s below AVG !!
  • edited May 2018

    Any idea how literature optionals have fared ?


    Maths looks to have got quite high marks. Dunno the scale they used; but it would be highly unfair to expect anyone from Humanities to reach 350+ lest it be Geography.

    do you know how much effort maths and science optional student have to put in.
    That depends on an individual and please don't assume that Humanities optional doesn't work hard for it.

    hehehe sahi pakde ho
    Cut off - ajgar range :D
  • every optional is tough let it be anthro to socio to pubad to psir to maths science engineering to literature itself.
    only the thing which differentiates them is how much marks they get with equal effort. for instance if you put equal effort in CSAT and gs, you know which will fetch higher

  • Suraj95 said:

    every optional is tough let it be anthro to socio to pubad to psir to maths science engineering to literature itself.
    only the thing which differentiates them is how much marks they get with equal effort. for instance if you put equal effort in CSAT and gs, you know which will fetch higher

    You are right about the fact that every optional is tough in its own way, but marks should have a fixed parameters, even if a person has complete knowledge of UPSC history, he can't get 350+ in it.

    I think there should be a range of marks which encompasses the standard of your paper.

    Like a Very Good paper for any subject should fetch 320-350

    A Good one 290-320

    An AVG one 250-290...

    The problem is that the Very Good papers of humanities will fetch you 320, but in some subject it can fetch 380...

    This is very disproportionate...

    This is my 2cent... I won't spend too much time on these, as we have to accept and move ahead and not much can be done...
  • Suraj95 said:



    whats interesting is that most of selected candidates have recommended that coaching @ elhi is necessary and one should opt for it @Neyawn sir would be better person to comment on this trend

    is it necessary to go to delhi
    i miss read the data , most selected candidates have advised against coaching
    i could have added self study vs coaching column, but forgot , still its evident that most have said that its not necessary
    sir,can u plz use this style of question... never used any coaching material...
    coaching material also comes under coaching.... not only classes... its impossible to clear cse w/o taking any guidence from experts.... directly or indirectly... where alll the knowledge of there ethics preprations goes when such achievers are unable to truely differntiate such things...

    do coaching wala has money tree in there house, or they dont have children to feed !!! do anyone give them monetary charity !!!

    those who read only d d basu kind of books and cleared ... can only claim, i burned upsc, w/o any coaching help...


    sir, many people like me visit forum's page... and new bees gets wrong information because for hidden truth presentation.... is it not responsibility of ethical siniors to make sure not the misguidence is spread...??? not guiding is better than missguiding, for ehical minds...

    youtube videos are also shared by coaching wala only, or future coaching walas.... those who do public service w/o taking care of the food of their childre.... they fizzle-out in some time....!!

    so i request to make make questionnaire not having many grey areas...
  • Suraj95 said:

    every optional is tough let it be anthro to socio to pubad to psir to maths science engineering to literature itself.
    only the thing which differentiates them is how much marks they get with equal effort. for instance if you put equal effort in CSAT and gs, you know which will fetch higher

    You are right about the fact that every optional is tough in its own way, but marks should have a fixed parameters, even if a person has complete knowledge of UPSC history, he can't get 350+ in it.

    I think there should be a range of marks which encompasses the standard of your paper.

    Like a Very Good paper for any subject should fetch 320-350

    A Good one 290-320

    An AVG one 250-290...

    The problem is that the Very Good papers of humanities will fetch you 320, but in some subject it can fetch 380...

    This is very disproportionate...

    This is my 2cent... I won't spend too much time on these, as we have to accept and move ahead and not much can be done...
    actually humanities optional subject preparation helps in gs also but that is opposite in high scoring optionals

  • edited May 2018

    most selected candidates have recommended that coaching is not required and one should Not goto Delhi for it.

    one person ( top ranker ) said in one of telegram group ( i think in India bhai's group) that one must join coaching so as to understand/realise that He/SHE should not have joined the coaching ( to avoid that uncertainty and regret , ki delhi wale pta ni kya kra re honge) , he also added that one who cant discipline his self study cant discipline himself in coaching too , and will get overwhelmed

    baki @Neyawn sir has a very diff take on this , and you must follow that , but this is something which must be discussed , as most probably the method of coaching prevalent in top institutes like Pajiram and PisionIAS is whats the issue here , maybe insights and forum's very own FFP are different and may cover these short comings

    forums classes are still under suspicion...excluding CA class....
    insights classes also have mixed feedback till last year... but now from there presentation it looks like they have upgraded there style significantly... even there pdfs have upgraded, much more user friendly... all these shows there mindset... they are upgrading....everything...

    paji and pision...are till now the best available...
  • edited May 2018
    Suraj95 said:

    Suraj95 said:

    every optional is tough let it be anthro to socio to pubad to psir to maths science engineering to literature itself.
    only the thing which differentiates them is how much marks they get with equal effort. for instance if you put equal effort in CSAT and gs, you know which will fetch higher

    You are right about the fact that every optional is tough in its own way, but marks should have a fixed parameters, even if a person has complete knowledge of UPSC history, he can't get 350+ in it.

    I think there should be a range of marks which encompasses the standard of your paper.

    Like a Very Good paper for any subject should fetch 320-350

    A Good one 290-320

    An AVG one 250-290...

    The problem is that the Very Good papers of humanities will fetch you 320, but in some subject it can fetch 380...

    This is very disproportionate...

    This is my 2cent... I won't spend too much time on these, as we have to accept and move ahead and not much can be done...
    actually humanities optional subject preparation helps in gs also but that is opposite in high scoring optionals
    The fact that they help in GS is simply a very misguided notion, you don't need optional level prep in GS for any mains paper.

    Also, is there credible data to prove that Science optional students score less in GS than Humanities optional such that they are compensated by high scores ?
  • Saala Jo log kehte h ki science aur maths optional m bahoot effort lagte h issliye students k jyada marks aate h. Eakbar history bhi lekar dekho phir pata chalega ki kitni mehanat karni padti h lekin phir bhi mushkil se average marks hi aa pate h.
    Sincerity, Dedication, Honesty
  • edited May 2018

    Suraj95 said:



    whats interesting is that most of selected candidates have recommended that coaching @ elhi is necessary and one should opt for it @Neyawn sir would be better person to comment on this trend

    is it necessary to go to delhi
    i miss read the data , most selected candidates have advised against coaching
    i could have added self study vs coaching column, but forgot , still its evident that most have said that its not necessary
    sir,can u plz use this style of question... never used any coaching material...
    coaching material also comes under coaching.... not only classes... its impossible to clear cse w/o taking any guidence from experts.... directly or indirectly... where alll the knowledge of there ethics preprations goes when such achievers are unable to truely differntiate such things...

    do coaching wala has money tree in there house, or they dont have children to feed !!! do anyone give them monetary charity !!!

    those who read only d d basu kind of books and cleared ... can only claim, i burned upsc, w/o any coaching help...


    sir, many people like me visit forum's page... and new bees gets wrong information because for hidden truth presentation.... is it not responsibility of ethical siniors to make sure not the misguidence is spread...??? not guiding is better than missguiding, for ehical minds...

    youtube videos are also shared by coaching wala only, or future coaching walas.... those who do public service w/o taking care of the food of their childre.... they fizzle-out in some time....!!

    so i request to make make questionnaire not having many grey areas...
    it would be foolish to assume that one should not use coaching material , one should use it , but judiciously , test series help a lot so does Iasbab@'s ILP programme

    p.s please donot use this thread to argue or bakaar
    HUSTLE
  • edited May 2018

    Saala Jo log kehte h ki science aur maths optional m bahoot effort lagte h issliye students k jyada marks aate h. Eakbar history bhi lekar dekho phir pata chalega ki kitni mehanat karni padti h lekin phir bhi mushkil se average marks hi aa pate h.

    +1 ...
    Not just History,
    Even in other optionals like Geography, general perception is that it can be prepared in just 2-3 months, & with little efforts. But the truth is that, it will only fetch us only around 200 marks. To get >300 in Geography, you should have given a combined input of 6-7 months dedicated preparation (overall), lot of creativity / skills, answer writing practice, luck, etc
    [Barring some rare exceptions like AIR5, who himself says that he had extraordinary writing & analytical skills.]

    On the other hand, if the same efforts (dedicated, 6-7 months) are put in optionals like Maths, then even >350 are possible easily.
  • To bhaibke lo na maths physics. Kisi ne roka hain. Sociology aur geography sabse zyaada engineers hi lete hain kyu?
  • Ameise said:

    Saala Jo log kehte h ki science aur maths optional m bahoot effort lagte h issliye students k jyada marks aate h. Eakbar history bhi lekar dekho phir pata chalega ki kitni mehanat karni padti h lekin phir bhi mushkil se average marks hi aa pate h.

    +1 ...
    Not just History,
    Even in other optionals like Geography, general perception is that it can be prepared in just 2-3 months, & with little efforts. But the truth is that, it will only fetch us only around 200 marks. To get >300 in Geography, you should have given a combined input of 6-7 months dedicated preparation (overall), lot of creativity / skills, answer writing practice, luck, etc
    [Barring some rare exceptions like AIR5, who himself says that he had extraordinary writing & analytical skills.]

    On the other hand, if the same efforts (dedicated, 6-7 months) are put in optionals like Maths, then even >350 are possible easily.
    then no one is bound to take humanities. and most engineers go for humanities

  • dpagarwal said:

    To bhaibke lo na maths physics. Kisi ne roka hain. Sociology aur geography sabse zyaada engineers hi lete hain kyu?

    +2

  • Suraj95 said:

    dpagarwal said:

    To bhaibke lo na maths physics. Kisi ne roka hain. Sociology aur geography sabse zyaada engineers hi lete hain kyu?

    +2
    Interest and bckgrnd guess matters!!
  • edited May 2018
    Suraj95 said:

    Ameise said:

    Saala Jo log kehte h ki science aur maths optional m bahoot effort lagte h issliye students k jyada marks aate h. Eakbar history bhi lekar dekho phir pata chalega ki kitni mehanat karni padti h lekin phir bhi mushkil se average marks hi aa pate h.

    +1 ...
    Not just History,
    Even in other optionals like Geography, general perception is that it can be prepared in just 2-3 months, & with little efforts. But the truth is that, it will only fetch us only around 200 marks. To get >300 in Geography, you should have given a combined input of 6-7 months dedicated preparation (overall), lot of creativity / skills, answer writing practice, luck, etc
    [Barring some rare exceptions like AIR5, who himself says that he had extraordinary writing & analytical skills.]

    On the other hand, if the same efforts (dedicated, 6-7 months) are put in optionals like Maths, then even >350 are possible easily.
    then no one is bound to take humanities. and most engineers go for humanities
    Bhai no one is blaming Math optional candidates for scoring that much high ...infact they have made the 1st step (the most important one, of Optional Choice) perfectly right, & they should be rewarded for that.

    Problem is that Humanities-optional coachings of Delhi only promote their own optional (due to obvious business interests), & dissuade wrt Math/Sc/Engg. And most of the new candidates (engineer or non-engg, does not matter) in absence of proper facts, would prefer an optional which can be "completed" in 3 months. Yes, majority of them pay the price, & they should, for their foolishness.

    Problem is with UPSC, who is not giving a level playing field to all the optionals. Ideally, "Best in Law", "Best in Socio", "Best in Geog", "Best in Engg", "Best in Math", etc ...all such BEST candidates should approximately have similar scores (at max with +/- 10 marks).

    Anyways, if u have Maths, then aim for 350+. All the Best.
  • enough discussion on humanities vs others
    one is free to analyse the data as they seem fit , now bs kro
    HUSTLE
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google


Factly