ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Your Personal conclusions from your Mains marks

What are you concluding from your marks in various mains papers. Please share your thoughts and help each other. Will be useful for future. :)

Comments

• It is so unpredictable that I'm again crying after 14 days. I never believed when people used to say that U stands for Unpredictable. I'm not making excuse, but just writing how I feel now comparing my marks with last year.

I had 83 marks in GS3 last year, although it went quite well. But I missed the final list only due to this.

This time I have 137 in GS3, after skipping one question on NE insurgency, and not knowing S&T questions well.

Now what is most unpredictable is my Geo marks. Had attempted just 200 last year and scored 121 in it. This time after doing quite well, and much better as compared to last year I scored just 108. Same with P2, where I definitely did better than last year and now scoring just 131. After having this disastrous mark I somehow managed to clear mains cutoff.
    See, this game is all about optionals and this much randomness is so frustrating.

I have lost all enthusiasm for next attempt. What strategy would work when so much randomness is there. Looks like I need to cry again for few days before being normal :(
    Not active.
  • That these many days UPSC was taking to RANDOMLY allocate marks only so as to sum up below the cutoff.

My Ethics marks dived from 110 (2016) to 64 (2017 )
    Essay dived from 140 to 115.

Optional's marks improved from 180 to 260- only rational piece of info in the marksheet.

It seems ki vakai mein sab jhol hai.

Shaken but not broken.
    P-3, M-3*, I-0
  • edited May 11
    I need to enroll for mains test-series, and stop preparing in isolation. Coming to Delhi in June. Sharmindagi bhi sharminda ho jae aise ghatiya marks hain. Now there is no time for experimentation. Gotta hit everything right - essay, gs, optional. Absolutely out of league. And yes this year will give Hindi paper with care and diligence. Got 90 in that.

June to Sept - 110 days. And for now 23 days till June 3, need to clock 12 hours a day till June 1. Bye Bye forum. Need to fill a lot many cavities.
  • Got less marks in gs2 and gs3 and gs4 than last year... Everyone's score shot up in gs2 and gs3 big time... My scores went down 89 to 83 and 115 to 107... Just forget n move on
  • 97 in paper 1 and 122 in paper 2 jn sociology
    The thing is paper 1 went very well and paper too was quite bad
    Difficult to understand
  • who all believe in protest to make U into P--?

Unpredictable ------ into ------- Predictable !!!
  • It is so unpredictable that I'm again crying after 14 days. I never believed when people used to say that U stands for Unpredictable. I'm not making excuse, but just writing how I feel now comparing my marks with last year.

I had 83 marks in GS3 last year, although it went quite well. But I missed the final list only due to this.

This time I have 137 in GS3, after skipping one question on NE insurgency, and not knowing S&T questions well.

Now what is most unpredictable is my Geo marks. Had attempted just 200 last year and scored 121 in it. This time after doing quite well, and much better as compared to last year I scored just 108. Same with P2, where I definitely did better than last year and now scoring just 131. After having this disastrous mark I somehow managed to clear mains cutoff.
    See, this game is all about optionals and this much randomness is so frustrating.

I have lost all enthusiasm for next attempt. What strategy would work when so much randomness is there. Looks like I need to cry again for few days before being normal :(

Bro I have score 95 in gs 3 which I think is below average this year.
    I know upsc is unpredictable, but can you please share what worked according to you. Diagrams, flowcharts, answer writing etc?

It would help me alot if you can answer. Thank you
  • om03 said:

It is so unpredictable that I'm again crying after 14 days. I never believed when people used to say that U stands for Unpredictable. I'm not making excuse, but just writing how I feel now comparing my marks with last year.

I know upsc is unpredictable, but can you please share what worked according to you. Diagrams, flowcharts, answer writing etc?

Nothing works but for UPSCs whims and fancies!!! Anyways out from forum for the next 20 days!! C Ya!!
  • Essay 145
    GS 110+110+114+86
    Geography 82+108 ............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2017 : Mains out.
    2018 : Ready for Mains.
  • To the point answer still gives good marks (saying from personal experience)...

You can change the optional for next attempt. For this one - you can take some risk - try some other answer writing strategy for Geo. You can try - relate as many Qs as possible as how it can affect/change/make better etc - human/society as whole - 1 point in each answer ( I donot know if u have used it). It seems u r very close - just keep on working - I know you ll - just some +ve words from side. All d best.
  • Essay 119(Expected better) GS 97, 96, 124, 89(Expected better) Optional 142(Expected lesser), 113(Expected better)... First attempt, no coaching, no test series except one of GS 4! Please spend a moment to tell me what should I do now. I thought of dropping the game altogether. But A final introspection..
  • nothing unexpected for me considering general trend is towards inflation in GS3 and deflation in GS4.
    however after seeing marks i can say:
    1. while writing essay this year i was able to make out the difference in quality. i myself was not satisfied wit the quality. since already wasted to much time decided to leave it as it is. result was sub 100 marks. though expectation was not this less. last year it was 150% of marks obtained. conclusion: "As you sow, so shall you reap"-overconfidence mein practice nhi ki thi.
    2. GS(1,2,3) paper modified strategy after seeing 10 markers and 15 markers. Decided to answer direct to the point. overall it was beneficial . added marks relative to last year. marks was on expected lines more or less. though believed i did best in GS2 as per self assessment but marks says otherwise.
    3. GS4= pata nhi kya hua..but since sabke kam hue hain . it indicates different style of marking.
    4. optional= Did not studied last year and thus marks was on expected lines. studied this year got marks on same expected lines.Marks of optional is not on whims and fancy of examiner, it is reflecting your preparation.Stick to your optional if you feel there is scope of improvement or else change it if you feel you have done everything in your ability with regard to subject.
    2015: pelims p1 62
    2016: pelims p1 114 mains 726
    2017: prelims p1 116.66 (forum key)
  • kouta said:

To the point answer still gives good marks (saying from personal experience)...

It clashes with multidimensionality :D
  • My observations:

Quality of answers matter more than the no. of questions you attempt, I guess. I attempted all questions in Gs but scored pretty low.

GS marks have started to vary widely from 80 to 140+ just like optionals.

Some toppers have Gs aggregate of 500+ which is a new trend.

Do you all agree????
  • RaufNa said:

My observations:

Quality of answers matter more than the no. of questions you attempt, I guess. I attempted all questions in Gs but scored pretty low.

GS marks have started to vary widely from 80 to 140+ just like optionals.

Some toppers have Gs aggregate of 500+ which is a new trend.

Do you all agree????

Aye....... especially GS-3 and GS-1....

• om03 said:

It is so unpredictable that I'm again crying after 14 days. I never believed when people used to say that U stands for Unpredictable. I'm not making excuse, but just writing how I feel now comparing my marks with last year.

i got 119 in gs3 .. no diagram at all but wrote many points under subheadings
  • only 1 conclusion- am no where near the competition it seems, ~100 difference with mains cutoff, it seems pragmatic now to drop this attempt to realign the preparation completely, just see the grind which abhishek surana ( electrical IITD,so jee rank probably <100) went through to make the cut,sheer writing practice and way extensive coverage i could ever imagine. you just cant screw any paper now. ATB to 2018 candidates, am off the grid for now.
  • I think one major conclusion can be that your own assessment about your prep before Mains, has little correlation with marks you achieve in Mains!
    Na mai padheya, Na mai likheya
    Par mai duniya, toh badha sikheya
  • RasAlGhul said:

I think one major conclusion can be that your own assessment about your prep before Mains, has little correlation with marks you achieve in Mains!

+100
  • gobardhan said:

om03 said:

i got 119 in gs3 .. no diagram at all but wrote many points under subheadings
    What is this sub-heading? Related to diff parts of same question or related to different dimensions of the answer of different parts?
  • RasAlGhul said:

I think one major conclusion can be that your own assessment about your prep before Mains, has little correlation with marks you achieve in Mains!

can u elaborate this a bit @RasAlGhul ....

• Yes @kouta bhai. I simply meant to say that many times we are looking at things minutely, failing to see the bigger picture.

This exam is full of surprises. We should obviously look at our mistakes and strengths, but also have self control to not judge ourselves too positively or too negatively.

Before mains, we go into deliberation mode analysing every small mistake or every top rank in test series, and gain either too much negativity or overconfidence.

I think this can and should be avoided. Our singular focus should be memorising our stuff well, and writing it properly in actual Mains. Mental musings(in extremes) is futile, as final marks don't reflect our opinion of ourselves anyway.

Case in point: Thought I was weak in Geo and history(the ratta portion in GS1), and ended up scoring 120.
    Thought I was too strong in Gs3, ended up with 117.

Hence a healthy dose of self restraint helps. Just my personal observation.

PS: this is too much gyaan, which I also don't follow! But I would like to, someday.
    Na mai padheya, Na mai likheya
    Par mai duniya, toh badha sikheya
  • RasAlGhul said:

Yes @kouta bhai. I simply meant to say that many times we are looking at things minutely, failing to see the bigger picture.

This exam is full of surprises. We should obviously look at our mistakes and strengths, but also have self control to not judge ourselves too positively or too negatively.

Before mains, we go into deliberation mode analysing every small mistake or every top rank in test series, and gain either too much negativity or overconfidence.

I think this can and should be avoided. Our singular focus should be memorising our stuff well, and writing it properly in actual Mains. Mental musings(in extremes) is futile, as final marks don't reflect our opinion of ourselves anyway.

Case in point: Thought I was weak in Geo and history(the ratta portion in GS1), and ended up scoring 120.

PS: this is too much gyaan, which I also don't follow! But I would like to, someday.

You have summed it up perfectly bhai. This is the true essence of this exam right here, I feel really sorry and furious when i see your interview marks. You deserve far better.
    Rank 267 - CSE 2017
  • My conclusions:

1. Have a plan and try to fit test series in that. Do not make plans around test series. It's great if your plan and test series are in harmony.
    2. Aim to finish paper with 10 minutes remaining. Even in mocks.
    3. Luck does play a role. Accept it. I wrote balanced essays with good flow, data, quotations and many everyday examples. Started with anecdotes as it is a 'safe approach.' Topics: Classroom and New Woman. The ending of first essay was a bit lame though. Got 110. People are getting 175 in essay. Makes me think that essay checkers are so powerful. 2 questions- 125 marks each. 2 strokes of pen by the Almighty essay checker and boom- your destiny for that year almost sealed.
    4. Note to self whenever I think about luck or point 3 above: Whenever you think about people who you think got lucky, slap yourself. Think about Abhishek Surana, Sachin Gupta, Siddharth jain , Anudeep etc and remember that getting a top rank requires THAT much effort.

• only 1 conclusion- am no where near the competition it seems, ~100 difference with mains cutoff, it seems pragmatic now to drop this attempt to realign the preparation completely, just see the grind which abhishek surana ( electrical IITD,so jee rank probably <100) went through to make the cut,sheer writing practice and way extensive coverage i could ever imagine. you just cant screw any paper now. ATB to 2018 candidates, am off the grid for now.</p>

Wise decision. I decided the same, but the next attempt would be my last one. All the best , ilaychi khaiyke
  • Quoting Arundhati Roy (God of small things)
    "Anything can happen to anyone.
    And it's best to be prepared."

Magic happens when you do not give up,
    even though you want to..

The Universe always falls in love
    With a STUBBORN HEART ♥..

• its really unpredictable public service commission. last year i got 130 in history 2nd paper with average quality answers (attempted 220 marks only). this year attempted full paper with 10 times better quality, was expecting 150+ . got 105 only! what strategy one can make with this much randomness.
  • RasAlGhul said:

Yes @kouta bhai. I simply meant to say that many times we are looking at things minutely, failing to see the bigger picture.

You have summed it up perfectly bhai. This is the true essence of this exam right here, I feel really sorry and furious when i see your interview marks. You deserve far better.
    Bronn said:

My conclusions:

1. Have a plan and try to fit test series in that. Do not make plans around test series. It's great if your plan and test series are in harmony.
    2. Aim to finish paper with 10 minutes remaining. Even in mocks.
    3. Luck does play a role. Accept it. I wrote balanced essays with good flow, data, quotations and many everyday examples. Started with anecdotes as it is a 'safe approach.' Topics: Classroom and New Woman. The ending of first essay was a bit lame though. Got 110. People are getting 175 in essay. Makes me think that essay checkers are so powerful. 2 questions- 125 marks each. 2 strokes of pen by the Almighty essay checker and boom- your destiny for that year almost sealed.
    4. Note to self whenever I think about luck or point 3 above: Whenever you think about people who you think got lucky, slap yourself. Think about Abhishek Surana, Sachin Gupta, Siddharth jain , Anudeep etc and remember that getting a top rank requires THAT much effort.

Thank you @RasAlGhul and @Bronn for summing up your valuable thoughts here..... wish u both a very bright future...

• edited May 11

Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog