ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Moving to delhi, suggestion for staying please

Hi, I am starting my preparation for 2019. Earlier I was planning to stay at home and prepare but I am not able to study more than a month at home. So I am planning to move to Delhi as it could provide good environment. My plan is to do self study and join a test series. I want to stay in a single a.c. room and a good(spacious) library within walking distance of around 1km near room. Can someone please suggest where should I stay and estimate aout the charges of room will also be appreciated. I have never visited delhi, so I don't have any idea about this place. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Why to waste money for costly accommodations in Delhi only for test series?

Get a room on rent in your hometown itself and join online test series.
  • Rooms in ORN are expensive (about 10-12k) but are close to most of the coaching institute. Rooms in Mukharjee Nagar, Patel Nagar are not that expensive but you will have to travel daily (if you join coaching) to ORN. As you are not joining any coaching and will be joining only test series then I would advise you to get the room away from the ORN preferably along the metro line. This would save you some money or you can get better room for your budget. Average cost of living in Delhi would be around 10,000-15,000/- p.m depending upon the location and amenities you get in the room.
  • Staying in Delhi is not fruitful as you think.
    Accommodation is expensive, water problem, you won't get hygienic food, more distraction than your hometown.
    Find some serious aspirant in your hometown and prepare in some library or take room with him.

Most selected candidates prepare from home.
    Delhi is useless place.
  • amsc said:

Staying in Delhi is not fruitful as you think.
    Accommodation is expensive, water problem, you won't get hygienic food, more distraction than your hometown.
    Find some serious aspirant in your hometown and prepare in some library or take room with him.

Delhi is useless place.

+1 same opinion
  • khagaul said:

Why to waste money for costly accommodations in Delhi only for test series?

Get a room on rent in your hometown itself and join online test series.

Right & 101% agree

Ek raaz ki baat jaan lo Jo log ias ban ne Delhi jate h , or na ban pate h to zindgi bhar pareshan rahte h , esliye behtar h ki aap jaha ho usi jagah rahkar tyari kro , aazkal sab chize study guidance online uplabdh h OK

Good luck & god bless you all dost
    Prediction/Astrology/Blessing/Prayer/ FOR Why you born here/Mission/Dream/Carrier/Study/Exam/Jobs/Vehicle/Property/Business/Foreign/Visa/Passport/Girlfriend/Boyfriend/Love/Arrange/Marrige/Divorce/Case
  • lastjedi said:

Hi, I am starting my preparation for 2019. Earlier I was planning to stay at home and prepare but I am not able to study more than a month at home. So I am planning to move to Delhi as it could provide good environment. My plan is to do self study and join a test series. I want to stay in a single a.c. room and a good(spacious) library within walking distance of around 1km near room. Can someone please suggest where should I stay and estimate aout the charges of room will also be appreciated. I have never visited delhi, so I don't have any idea about this place. Any help will be appreciated.

don't come to delhi just to join test series. not worth it.
    all the material and test series are available on Internet. use that wisely and you would do far better than many people sitting in delhi.
    Do not go gentle into that good night
  • lastjedi said:

all the material and test series are available on Internet. use that wisely and you would do far better than many people sitting in delhi.
    But why people getting selected in 3-4-5 attempts are in delhi?
  • edited May 7
    amsc said:

Delhi is useless place.

Jee aapne bilkul shi kaha , sab kuch online available h phir bhi pta nhi log q Delhi k diwane hue ja rhe h or waha jakar double pressure bhi ho jata h , preparation ka or parents ka , es se behtar h jaha h whi se tyari kre

Good luck god bless you all dost
    Prediction/Astrology/Blessing/Prayer/ FOR Why you born here/Mission/Dream/Carrier/Study/Exam/Jobs/Vehicle/Property/Business/Foreign/Visa/Passport/Girlfriend/Boyfriend/Love/Arrange/Marrige/Divorce/Case
  • dpagarwal said:

lastjedi said:

But why people getting selected in 3-4-5 attempts are in delhi?
    because they have been here for more than 3-4 years. they have become habitual of the environment of ORN. i know people who have taken more than 3 attempts to clear this exam and they were not preparing from delhi. BUT, they were living in the same city/environment for all these years. hence, after a certain time period in this upsc journey, people do not tend to change their environment they have grown used to.
  • lastjedi said:

Messeged u..
    6000 rent + electricity. 1 BHK with AC. 20-25 min on bike from Mukherjee nagar Libraries. Security Guard available. Peaceful environment.
  • good environment??? who told you?Delhi is useless now..better to stay at home.
  • edited May 8
    If not joining any coaching, then there is no use to shift to Delhi and spend so much money just for self study. Rooms are pretty expensive in Delhi and there are other monthly expenses too like food. It's better you stay in your hometown only and prepare from online resources. You can get the test series on the internet.
  • lastjedi said:

I thank all of you people for your advice. I appreciate your suggestions. The thing is I am shifting to delhi to be in a competitive environment. I have studied for a month in my hometown and it's not possible to carry on the momentum for me when I am studying alone. I am not going to delhi for test series, I know test series are available online also, I am joining test series(planning to join forum IAS MGP 2019) so that I can keep myself on track. So, please don't advice on not going to delhi. Advice will be appreciated on how to make best use of delhi like where to stay, library to join or any other things which you think can help. Thanks.
  • Ek baar Delhi ka mazaa sabko chaiye. :D :D
  • You can take online test series even through ur home then why are u going to Delhi
    Even I am doing so . . seriously residing in Delhi is not as fruitful as you are dreaming.....I went there but thanks to polluted environment in hygienic food and high rent returned back
    And happily preparing

• can any experienced person tell what is the most essential advantage of Delhi/ con of home?
    At home, I seem to slack a little, but the time I spent in delhi was very productive(atleast for me); constant pressure/competition from roomie, no chikchik from home/relative, but had to sacrifice in terms of food.
  • As you are joining MGP @Neyawn sir and others at forumias team could guide you better
    once again HUSTLE
  • As you are joining MGP @Neyawn sir and others at forumias team could guide you better

Even for mgp, its online, why even move?
  • Everyone here advising against moving to Delhi are to large extent very correct but not everyone is same when it comes to intelligence, environment, motivation etc. Someone might be having entirely non-upsc environment around them and in such a case you need strong motivation/will power to study in isolation for very long time. There's also some set of students/aspirants who needs external disciplined environment (coaching/guidance) to make them study. Some sort of competitive environment around you motivates you to work hard towards your goals.
  • edited May 9
    lastjedi said:

lastjedi said:

I thank all of you people for your advice. I appreciate your suggestions. The thing is I am shifting to delhi to be in a competitive environment. I have studied for a month in my hometown and it's not possible to carry on the momentum for me when I am studying alone. I am not going to delhi for test series, I know test series are available online also, I am joining test series(planning to join forum IAS MGP 2019) so that I can keep myself on track. So, please don't advice on not going to delhi. Advice will be appreciated on how to make best use of delhi like where to stay, library to join or any other things which you think can help. Thanks.
    19k in orn.( 11k for room. 2.5k electricity bill{no library}. 500 Water- maintainence etc.) ..
    15000 in patel nagar, karol bagh.

As per your preferences , it seems you should go to orn..
    For a 2019 aspirant... first attempt. Orn will definitely be helpful ..

• amsc said:

Delhi is useless place.

Can you name them and their optional?
    I am confused whether to stay at home or go to delhi after pre(if qualifyable marks).
    Delhi really is hell but it looks inevitable..
  • Seed15 said:

amsc said:

Delhi is useless place.

I am confused whether to stay at home or go to delhi after pre(if qualifyable marks).
    @Arsenal752 got AIR 267 this time in first attempt. Philosophy optional. Contact him. Prepared from his hometown
  • khagaul said:

Seed15 said:

amsc said:

Delhi is useless place.

@Arsenal752 got AIR 267 this time in first attempt. Philosophy optional. Contact him. Prepared from his hometown
    Sure bhai. Thanks.. :)
  • So, is it Dilli Chalo finally? :mrgreen:
  • edited May 9
    lastjedi said:

I shall answer it on the basis of my experience and keeping your interest and requirement in mind.

Firstly, your reason for coming to Delhi has to be very rock solid. On the forum, it is difficult these days to seek an advice and not get a money-saving advice instead . You may get an advice that will help you save money, but not answer your question.

For example,
    1) if you ask which coaching should I take, people will tell you , dont take coaching, read the basic books + do some test series

2) If you ask which books should I take and which test series to take - people may tell, dont waste money, no need to buy expensive books, get it from imagerunners xerox shop. No need to pay for test series , get the xerox from the market ( xerox shops )

3) If you ask which xerox shops to buy from, some people may tell, dont waste money on xerox, download it from internet. Read from free PDF

4) At this point you will ask, since most studies are done on Internet, which is the best internet connection and which laptop to buy?

You will probably get a reply, don't waste money on laptop and internet, get an android phone and Jio Sim - which has free data for three months, and join some telegram group and keep downloading free material. And every three months change the SIM and get free data.

If you ask, shall I get a notebook to write answers, someone will probably tell you dont waste money and paper, do free answer writing on answer writing websites.

At the end of one year, you will have saved a lot of money, and not gained an iota of knowledge.

I am yet to meet a candidate who has taken so many shortcuts as mentioned above. And there may be people, but they are not in Top 100 at least.

Do what is conventional, take classes where-ever you find a good feedback, make your notes, cover the syllabus well, and write the exam, and join any of the top 3 test series.

Whether to do self-study or not is a matter of your personality type. Are you the kind of person who is able to study from class notes and a teacher ? Or have you been making own notes since class 10th and did not attend classes?

If classes suit you, and if you are able to sit in a class and study, nothing beats it. You will be much ahead of the competition. If you are not the kind of person who can sit in a class and study, do self study. When you decide to do self study, see how much you have covered in a week/ month. If it is not substantial , take some classes somewhere.

And even if you do self study - take at least one class. Helps with the discipline.Or at the end of a year, you are a candidate who has done self study , taken no coaching, and does not even know anything.

An AC room will cost you around 15K / month - single occupancy - . A library will cost you 2k-3k / month.

However, If you come to Delhi, you will spend more than half the money in rent, and not in coaching classes.

Will write a detailed write up sometime.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • U will realize after wasting 8-10 lakhs of your parents precious money.

Bina thokar khaye koi sikhta nahi

root note: Account suspended for posting obscene images
  • bhai ab bande ne decide kar hi lia hai ki vo delhi aake hi IAS banega phir kyu itna gyan dena kisiko

8 to 10 lacs you must be joking right.... :/
  • lastjedi said:

Dude, I came here thinking the same but I don't think it's worth the hassle at all. Better arrange a separate room at your home itself and study. If at all, come after you've passed prelims and prepare for mains here. Join online test series.

8 to 10 lacs you must be joking right.... :/
    8 lakhs is an exaggeration. But for 1st timers. Who join gs+ optional+ test series and stays in an ac room at ORN. It easilt touches 5 L
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog