MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Geopolitics | Of superior race.

edited February 14 in Polity & Governance
The myth that British people were of superior race and that Indians were of inferior race was one of the theories that was put to practice to rule us. That being said, there seems to be some amount of truth in that assertion.

States in Africa, Americas, Asia et al where *superior race* left long time ago are in doldrums today. To quote, Sudan, Somalia, Uganda, Bolivia, Uruguay and yada yada are merely subsisting, not existing. The development of Aborigines/Maoris in Oceania is due to superior race's intervention. Amerindians would have still been howling and hunting game sports with fancy headgears if not for superior race. Their lives have changed due to presence of superior race among them. Etc.

The above being the context,

1. Is this superior race theory just a myth or it has some perceptible value?

2. What is the all pervasive definition of development?

Comments

• It will be better if you title your thread as “is the superior race theory a myth?”

It will help people search for the topic land on your discussion and answer them or benefit from reading it.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • No totally wrong correlation.

What superior race does Japan has? Or Taiwan? Or Tiger economies? They are totally native, but as developed as Britain.
    Nordic countries are not British, but they are much more developed than British.

And why do you restrict Hundred of thousands of year of humanity to just a blip (1500-2010s) in history ?

Do you know which race was dominating in 1000BC? In 500Ad? In 1500Ad??
    Do you know India and China were major super territory (if not Nation-state) that time.
    Human history is very long, and this recent hierarchy in development is due to various factors. (Or say, due to Guns, Germs, and Steel).

All pervasive definition of development is to be master of using natural resources to enjoy heavy standard of life. (+ Ofcourse, those stability, harmony, and sustainability).

Now look at different period of even Written Human History and see when Harappan were having higher development phase what were your so called Superior British Race was doing... Did they know how to put seed inside ploughed land?? Or they were only hunting??
  • Neyawn said:

It will be better if you title your thread as “is the superior race theory a myth?”

It will help people search for the topic land on your discussion and answer them or benefit from reading it.

@Neyawn
    Hello sir, Doesn't Google take care of that itself? Genuinely asking.. does changing title affects SEO while googling?
  • Forget google. A human will read your title and will further read it or not read it based on the title. when you pose a direct question, I immediately know if i need to be here or not.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • edited February 14
    Wakaao said:

The myth that British people were of superior race and that Indians were of inferior race was one of the theories that was put to practice to rule us. That being said, there seems to be some amount of truth in that assertion.

States in Africa, Americas, Asia et al where *superior race* left long time ago are in doldrums today. To quote, Sudan, Somalia, Uganda, Bolivia, Uruguay and yada yada are merely subsisting, not existing. The development of Aborigines/Maoris in Oceania is due to superior race's intervention. Amerindians would have still been howling and hunting game sports with fancy headgears if not for superior race. Their lives have changed due to presence of superior race among them. Etc.

A nation's development has nothing to do with its race. Take Korean peninsula for example. Both the North and South are remarkably similar-- in race, ethnicity, culture and language-- but starkly different in how they forged their economic and political institutions. After WW-II, South Korea embraced free trade, foreign investment and liberal education. Whereas North came under a dictator who imposed his outdated economic polices that suffocated enterprise and crippled their GDP.

It's not a coincidence that the fate of two nations of similar race, culture, language and descent is so stunningly different on either side of an imaginary line called 38th parallel.

Same is the case with Africa. Do you know that Botswana's HDI rank is much better than India? How is that they have become an island of progress in a continent engulfed in darkness? Same reason again. Botswana is a democracy, and its govt is accountable to its people. And it has witnessed rapid acceleration in GDP ever since it released govt shackles on the economy.

Australia. Canada. Singapore. Hong Kong. Israel. Japan. South Korea. Scandinavia. Country after country paints the same picture. In today's world, why a country has failed is explained by its political and economic systems, not whether it had been ruled by the British empire.

Superior race theory is nonsense.

Rank 1, CSE 2017
    “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”

Blog: anudeepdurishetty.in

• edited February 14
    What makes a group superior?

Its intellect. The British, US, French, Russian, German etc were/are superior because they came out of religious dogmas, opposed whimsical rule.

Not towing the established dictum, they forayed into unknown worlds, discovering distant lands, inventing new tools, ideologies.

They conquered distant lands only because they were a thinking lot.

What do you expect from an inferior race/group?

India was made a slave because the people believed in false gods, caste, religion. All they had invented were hoary practices of Sati, differentiation.

Even today, in India et al., we see discussions around Mandir, Masjid, Shamshan, Kabristan etc. Khap Panchayats rules the roost. PJB et al., have made a mockery of modern science. Eminent scientist, former CP Mumbai, said that Darwin was wrong, that no one had seen ape turning into human, Madhya Pradesh MLA suggests farmers to chant Hanuman Chalisa for better productivity.

Mujhe samajh nahi aa raha ki ISRO, DRDO etc me ab science band kar ke havan kyun nahi karwa rahe hain. Hame rocket ki zaroorat nahi hai..hamare purane log vaise hi ud jaate the...

Read these.

https://www.marxists.org/hindi/bhagat-singh/1923/achoot-samasya.htm

https://www.marxists.org/hindi/bhagat-singh/1928/dharm-aur-hamara.htm

https://www.marxists.org/hindi/bhagat-singh/1928/sampradayik-dangen.htm

http://thewirehindi.com/5129/a-satire-on-cow-politics-by-harishankar-parsai/
  • What makes a group superior?

Its intellect. The British, US, French, Russian, German etc were/are superior because they came out of religious dogmas, opposed whimsical rule.

Not towing the established dictum, they forayed into unknown worlds, discovering distant lands, inventing new tools, ideologies.

India was made a slave because the people believed in false gods, caste, religion. All they had invented were hoary practices of Sati, differentiation.

Even today, in India et al., we see discussions around Mandir, Masjid, Shamshan, Kabristan etc. Khap Panchayats rules the roost. PJB et al., have made a mockery of modern science. Eminent scientist, former CP Mumbai, said that Darwin was wrong, that no one had seen ape turning into human, Madhya Pradesh MLA suggests farmers to chant Hanuman Chalisa for better productivity.

Mujhe samajh nahi aa raha ki ISRO, DRDO etc me ab science band kar ke havan kyun nahi karwa rahe hain. Hame rocket ki zaroorat nahi hai..hamare purane log vaise hi ud jaate the...

Read these.

@Nanhe_samrat1 -mr Trump u r the most racist person existing on the planet earth:h
  • @IWDMI hamse koi galti ho gayi kya shriman? Kuch galat kah diya kya?
  • No totally wrong correlation.

What superior race does Japan has? Or Taiwan? Or Tiger economies? They are totally native, but as developed as Britain.
    Nordic countries are not British, but they are much more developed than British.

And why do you restrict Hundred of thousands of year of humanity to just a blip (1500-2010s) in history ?

Do you know India and China were major super territory (if not Nation-state) that time.
    Human history is very long, and this recent hierarchy in development is due to various factors. (Or say, due to Guns, Germs, and Steel).

All pervasive definition of development is to be master of using natural resources to enjoy heavy standard of life. (+ Ofcourse, those stability, harmony, and sustainability).

Now look at different period of even Written Human History and see when Harappan were having higher development phase what were your so called Superior British Race was doing... Did they know how to put seed inside ploughed land?? Or they were only hunting??

@Forumnewbie, to simplify: British = European race = Nordic countries . But I am wondering how much developed are these Nordic countries? Country with few population (who would like to live in that cold environs?) and lots of resources are Nordic countries.

But as far as Japan or Taiwan is concerned, their development did not stem out from within. It was hugely derived from US patronage, so is with Taiwanese model of development. Remember, pre-WWII, Japan was a tightly controlled monarchy with no awe inspiring achievements.

I'd like to differ there. India and China were never a super territory. Super territory is too big a territory to be ruled for long, and thus find a place in history. The imagined super territory of India exists only in thoughts, nowhere else. The vast expanse of Indian political cohesion that was during Ashoka, Akbar or Aurangzeb did not even encompass the present day India(+Pak+Bangladesh). South India had its own regional kingdoms. West India rebelled for long, only to be brought into an agreement where sovereignty was shared between local rulers and Mughals. Marathas had their own ambition. So, super territory does not hold ground. Chinese super territory merits separate discussion, some fine day.

Personally, I believe history is all about codification of stories, of laws etc. And history has its own biases. What I understand out of Harappa may differ from your understanding. That said, a common meeting point would always exist. As such, as far as Harappan civilization is concerned, there is no common meeting point regarding the races that populated the valley that time. From Dravidians to proto-Aryans, different heads have different opinions. But hey wait, I'm not quibbling for no reasons. Your points are well accepted, but it leaves me unsettled. It adds up to the collection of all the theories that I have, while all I want is one umbrella theory that would include all, including yours.

PS: Thank you for that development definition. :-)
  • @IWDMI hamse koi galti ho gayi kya shriman? Kuch galat kah diya kya?

Nahi-2 main just aapke display pic ke features bata raha tha:)
  • Wakaao said:

A nation's development has nothing to do with its race. Take Korean peninsula for example. Both the North and South are remarkably similar-- in race, ethnicity, culture and language-- but starkly different in how they forged their economic and political institutions. After WW-II, South Korea embraced free trade, foreign investment and liberal education. Whereas North came under a dictator who imposed his outdated economic polices that suffocated enterprise and crippled their GDP.

It's not a coincidence that the fate of two nations of similar race, culture, language and descent is so stunningly different on either side of an imaginary line called 38th parallel.

Same is the case with Africa. Do you know that Botswana's HDI rank is much better than India? How is that they have become an island of progress in a continent engulfed in darkness? Same reason again. Botswana is a democracy, and its govt is accountable to its people. And it has witnessed rapid acceleration in GDP ever since it released govt shackles on the economy.

Australia. Canada. Singapore. Hong Kong. Israel. Japan. South Korea. Scandinavia. Country after country paints the same picture. In today's world, why a country has failed is explained by its political and economic systems, not whether it had been ruled by the British empire.

Superior race theory is nonsense.

@LeoMessi10, let me reiterate again. South Korea's development was heavily borrowed from USA. Till 1960s, it was mostly an agrarian society. What followed in the following decades had Uncle Sam's footprints all across.

Yes, I do know the case of Botswana. I also have read about other well-to-do non-oil rich African nations. Malawi, Lesotho etc are doing good in their own little ways. A progressive nation, I reckon.

Um, if superior race theory is indeed a myth, can there be alternate theory where non-White race also contributed amazingly? Bhutanese model of development is original, local and has no superior race tangent to it. Though there are few takers of this type, it would ultimately have its sunshine days in years to come.

Of the lines in bold, Thailand can be example. Aye? Never ruled by outsiders but prosperous already.
  • @Wakaao Are you Dr James Watson?

Read these.

This is a different perspective. Thank you (^_^). I believe there're no meatier points in those Hindi lines. Cant understand Hindi. (*_*)
  • 1ManArmy said:

@Wakaao Are you Dr James Watson?

No boi. But why the query? :-O
  • 1ManArmy said:
    Uncanny similarity of thoughts! :-O

But, the article written above is based on pure labour whereas mine is based on running after a mirage called UPSC. LOL. :-D
  • Free ho to dekhna, aise discussions ke liye acha perspective hai

• Wakaao said:

Read these.

This is a different perspective. Thank you (^_^). I believe there're no meatier points in those Hindi lines. Cant understand Hindi. (*_*)
    Mmmmm.... well these are more than meatier. All above except last are Bhagat Singh's thoughts and last one was written by noted hindi satirist Harishankar Parsai over cow politics which AreAssAss and PJB played in 1970's and 1980's.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/bhagat-singh/index.htm

This is in English. Read it.
  • Wakaao said:

No totally wrong correlation.

@Forumnewbie, to simplify: British = European race = Nordic countries . But I am wondering how much developed are these Nordic countries? Country with few population (who would like to live in that cold environs?) and lots of resources are Nordic countries.

But as far as Japan or Taiwan is concerned, their development did not stem out from within. It was hugely derived from US patronage, so is with Taiwanese model of development. Remember, pre-WWII, Japan was a tightly controlled monarchy with no awe inspiring achievements.

I'd like to differ there. India and China were never a super territory. Super territory is too big a territory to be ruled for long, and thus find a place in history. The imagined super territory of India exists only in thoughts, nowhere else. The vast expanse of Indian political cohesion that was during Ashoka, Akbar or Aurangzeb did not even encompass the present day India(+Pak+Bangladesh). South India had its own regional kingdoms. West India rebelled for long, only to be brought into an agreement where sovereignty was shared between local rulers and Mughals. Marathas had their own ambition. So, super territory does not hold ground. Chinese super territory merits separate discussion, some fine day.

Personally, I believe history is all about codification of stories, of laws etc. And history has its own biases. What I understand out of Harappa may differ from your understanding. That said, a common meeting point would always exist. As such, as far as Harappan civilization is concerned, there is no common meeting point regarding the races that populated the valley that time. From Dravidians to proto-Aryans, different heads have different opinions. But hey wait, I'm not quibbling for no reasons. Your points are well accepted, but it leaves me unsettled. It adds up to the collection of all the theories that I have, while all I want is one umbrella theory that would include all, including yours.

Hi @Wakaao , I know there would be disagreement about whatever I will say. But still.. I feel I wasn't able to put my views clearly.

What I meant was, that in the history of comparative Human development, so called European Races ( as you clubbed Nordic with British, which is not correct if you take 'racial' aspect) development is a recent event. If you take out any other phase of history, even before 1800s, you will certainly find many many 'Ethnicity/Races' had a lot more advancement than European. ( you might take either GDP share or GDP/capita of that race in World GDP) e.g. see some stats of Maddison Project :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Maddison_statistics_of_the_ten_largest_economies_by_GDP_(PPP)

And I wrongly used the word super-territory, what I meant was even in 1800s India and Chian had like 25% each share in world GDP. (obviously per capita would ruin that argument, but then Russia, Japan etc non-European race would easily top European RACES)

And you said, Nordic has lot of resources and less population, and thus discredited there level of development. But there are many many African countries with less population and MUCH VAST amount of resources but still count in poorest country. Resources doesn't make a country developed rather it is Institutions etc. (refer Why Nations Fail for this)

And No, Japan was very well developed starting from 1890s. It was really a great force leading up to WWII. I strongly disagree with the view that it was US reconstruction program that made Japan so advanced. (Please don't argue for this point abhi :)

And about that Harrapan point, forget about Harappa and its Races n all that. I just wanted to argue that in past history there were so many races/regions/empires which were much much advanced in using technology and 'development' than this European race. Infact, till 1500s, Europe was very poor in comparative sense. So this phase of post-IR is not permanent stage in human history, so you can't argue that Europe gene is best.

Now, these views are not my opinion, so don't take it very strongly please. There is a seminal book called Guns, Germs, and Steel where the well renowned Author has debunked this myth of inherent genetic superiority in 1997.

After going through these two books, this + Why Nations Fail you will appreciate some of my points which are totally based on these.

----------------------------

Just a small request, if you want to argue against all these points (which you must :) ) then lets do it comprehensively after 3-4 weeks.(interview :/) I also have geo optional, we could discuss many Geo Development theories too ( like that Rostow's model or Myrdal's cumulative causation etc etc. ) but lets do it after some time. And thanks for initiating such good thread. Cheers :)
  • please share your experience with how you upped the ante in answer-writing. I am finding it a very hard nut to crack.

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/29694/csm-gs2-perfecting-answer-writing-on-past-papers#latest

Read these.

From the top of my head, Newton, Ramanujan and Riemann were religious. Most of the ancient Indian mathematicians except Jains were religious. This isn't as simple as these marxists make it out to be
  • Wakaao said:

No totally wrong correlation.

Japan's development has very little to do with US. They were very strong in the early 1900s. See the Russia-Japanese wars.
  • The superior race was an argument put forward by the right wing of the British to justify their actions in the colonies and is now a days, mostly used by the alt right. Somehow it seems to imply that only people with higher IQ should be allowed all the rights in the earth. This line of thinking has led to some of the worst crimes in the history. Best example is of Hitler.
  • "In any case, only someone miraculously innocent of history could believe that competition among ideas could result in the triumph of truth. Certainly ideas compete with one another, but the winners are normally those with power and human folly on their side. When the medieval Church exterminated the Cathars, did Catholic memes prevail over the memes of the heretics? If the Final Solution had been carried to a conclusion, would that have demonstrated the inferiority of Hebrew memes?"
    https://books.google.co.in/books?id=VrXBCQAAQBAJ&pg=PT26&lpg=PT26&dq=only+someone+miraculously+innocent+of+history&source=bl&ots=0An5duic64&sig=LFoby42x0HLRAeJVihxuOK8nnhI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizsJLu96XZAhVBRo8KHQUqATwQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=only someone miraculously innocent of history&f=false
  • I am a nigga boy
  • Vrikodara said:

Read these.

From the top of my head, Newton, Ramanujan and Riemann were religious. Most of the ancient Indian mathematicians except Jains were religious. This isn't as simple as these marxists make it out to be
    There is another breed called Puritans who believe in God but then they call for reforms. I know Newton believed in God but he didn't confirm to old dogmas and hence proposed scientific revelations.

Then there are Deists who too are religious but says that God doesn't un-necessarily interfere in worldly affairs.

My point was to show that most of the Indians haven't gone past the fairy tales of religion. They want development but don't raise question that whence it comes.
  • Wow, great thread, gotta know a lot. SO my dear friends , you have convinced me to agree on both sides that British were no superior race or they were superior race.

Please answer my doubts

British were not superior race:-

- They accumulated wealth by exploring new lands, being rational and not over-religious, they used natural resources and technology to reach the top post 16th century.

-Stability, harmony among people, revolution of technology helped them maintain their status

-Japan, Taiwan, Nordic are developed and they aren't British [ though Scandinavians are Europeans]

-Harappa's were superior most in their time.

British were superior race-

-Japan, Taiwan are not great, they just got their share due to US's support.
    -Japan was destructed during WW2 and they also lived with false superiority like making separate lanes to walk when INA was raised.

-British were intelligent and their broad outlook speaks for itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now answer my questions -

Uncle Sam provided good money to other countries also, Pakistan being one of them. But we have no good things to say for it. Why?? Even Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Afghansitan, Egypt - all these countries had dollar flowing, but why they don't come to mind as 'good countries"

-Simply because Islam is easy to misuse, especially for a foreign power, and it has been seen everywhere. EVERYWHERE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--"India was made a slave because the people believed in false gods, caste, religion. All they had invented were hoary practices of Sati, differentiation".
    I agree, and if you will read Sanjeev sanyal's books - he concluded that this casteism led the Hindu empire shrunk from SE Asia in 12-13 cent. But he also praised the development in these kingdoms like navy etc,.

secondly, atleast atleast for the namesake, there were reformers in India, those saints could correct people, right from 6th century. Even before, there were discussions of everything, well written. Upanishads are their examples. And the notions of modernity in today's time like prostitution, a woman having more than 1 husband, boozing, sexing everything was there. Kabir could right away questioned the worshiping practices prevalent, and why at all people find faults in others?
    Atleast women were involved in administration. We had kings writing their mother's name ahead of their name.

And whatever issues they were surrounded with and the orthodox thinking that held them backwards .... today thought pattern has changed. And if it has delayed in pockets, its because of the failure of institutions. .. Here we must discuss "Why nation fails".

Why thought pattern changed among Europeans ? Don't you think that this broadmindedness among Europeans came only after tasting success that helped them raise their standard of living. Once they lived in facilities, they had no reason to go to God.

But why don't we see same transformation in Islamic countries? Why has their thought pattern not changed??

So before the question of race arises, there is something called thought pattern, and this pattern, mindsets, preconceived notions all have their origin in Religion, beliefs and faith.

IPS in making
  • Wow, great thread, gotta know a lot. SO my dear friends , you have convinced me to agree on both sides that British were no superior race or they were superior race.

Please answer my doubts

British were not superior race:-

- They accumulated wealth by exploring new lands, being rational and not over-religious, they used natural resources and technology to reach the top post 16th century.

-Stability, harmony among people, revolution of technology helped them maintain their status

-Japan, Taiwan, Nordic are developed and they aren't British [ though Scandinavians are Europeans]

-Harappa's were superior most in their time.

British were superior race-

-Japan, Taiwan are not great, they just got their share due to US's support.
    -Japan was destructed during WW2 and they also lived with false superiority like making separate lanes to walk when INA was raised.

-British were intelligent and their broad outlook speaks for itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now answer my questions -

Uncle Sam provided good money to other countries also, Pakistan being one of them. But we have no good things to say for it. Why?? Even Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Afghansitan, Egypt - all these countries had dollar flowing, but why they don't come to mind as 'good countries"

-Simply because Islam is easy to misuse, especially for a foreign power, and it has been seen everywhere. EVERYWHERE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--"India was made a slave because the people believed in false gods, caste, religion. All they had invented were hoary practices of Sati, differentiation".
    I agree, and if you will read Sanjeev sanyal's books - he concluded that this casteism led the Hindu empire shrunk from SE Asia in 12-13 cent. But he also praised the development in these kingdoms like navy etc,.

secondly, atleast atleast for the namesake, there were reformers in India, those saints could correct people, right from 6th century. Even before, there were discussions of everything, well written. Upanishads are their examples. And the notions of modernity in today's time like prostitution, a woman having more than 1 husband, boozing, sexing everything was there. Kabir could right away questioned the worshiping practices prevalent, and why at all people find faults in others?
    Atleast women were involved in administration. We had kings writing their mother's name ahead of their name.

And whatever issues they were surrounded with and the orthodox thinking that held them backwards .... today thought pattern has changed. And if it has delayed in pockets, its because of the failure of institutions. .. Here we must discuss "Why nation fails".

Why thought pattern changed among Europeans ? Don't you think that this broadmindedness among Europeans came only after tasting success that helped them raise their standard of living. Once they lived in facilities, they had no reason to go to God.

But why don't we see same transformation in Islamic countries? Why has their thought pattern not changed??

So before the question of race arises, there is something called thought pattern, and this pattern, mindsets, preconceived notions all have their origin in Religion, beliefs and faith.

Thought pattern in Islamic countries is changing. We can see it in "Tunisian Uprising", Hijab protests by Arabian and Iranian women. Also, we see that Jordan has done away with Hijab and one Saudi cleric said it day b4 yesterday that wearing Abaya is not important.

It takes time to come out of falsehood. Fairytales are hard to forget, I still remember the "Peelu Khargosh"/"Yellow Rabbit" from childhood days( Class 3rd it was...if I am not wrong).
  • @Nanhe_samrat1 ok if it is changing there, but Peelu Khargoshi in 3rd class is far better than "Aasmani kitab", "allah will send to hell", "this person is evil". "72 virgins" - right from childhood till death.

. Just saw that girl's song priya Prakash varrier - was shocked to see hijab in a mainstream movie..

Sorry if I have gone off the topic of race here, because more than race thing, today there is fight among religions.
    Battle of civilisations has always been battle of minds and gods.
    IPS in making
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog