MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

how to keep going

Hello.
I have been into this journey for the last 4 years. I was very much enthusiatic in the start but zeal is missing now.
It is not just the zeal but irratic nature, sometimes fruatration , sometimes feelings of hollowness. Constant over thinking, spending too much time on phone doing nothing. Not feeling like talking to people, not being happy to feel happy.
I don’t like comparing myself to others but trust me i am good in studies. I have always set high expectations from myself and constant overthinking is killing me.

I really dont feel like talking to anyone as i dont think anyone cam really understand me but still feel like talking to someone. Someone who can just say its okay or can direct me. On top of it i don’t like being directed or told that i should do think or that.

What to do. I know i should get up early and go for running . I do get up early but running. Even if i really try , i quit after 1-2 days.
Its not just running its about everythig. Taking up the timetable then, not following it. Taking up a test series then not following it.
There is a huge lack of discipline and feelings of lowlessness. What more could i have done with my life etc.

About the exam. Earlier i used to have these visuals as if i were selected, or if i get to become a civil servant etc. now doubts are there.. will that be a reality ever? I know with present state of affairs its a no. Its like a trap. Once you face the intervoew you are bound to live and die in this. There is that reluctance to not to give up on upsc. I dont see myself saying bs ho gya i can not do this. That is like going against me- how can you give up.but what is the use of it when you know it well that you are not giving it your full.
What to do..

And i feel sad almost all the time. That has become a timepass. Be alone, think, be sad.. cry do everything but study. I am like passing each day, then month. There is no excitement or activity.

Comments

• 782 is enough to motivate any serious aspirant.

People have thousands of problems around. The only solution is to cry and cry passionately, wipe the tears and hold your head high and begin to prepare.

There is no time to get depressed or to have any second thoughts. 90 days and you either do or die. It's a battle and you are a soldier on the battle field.

Solve this mess, pass this damn exam and get on with life. It's insanely painful to write the next prelims again. This should be the biggest motivation factor.

Forget serving the poor and all that thing, help yourself, solve your mess, make your life better. Motivate yourself to lead a new life by next march.

PS: running and all, keep it aside. Just hold your books for the next 90 days. You have zero time, the clock is ticking and the train will arrive sooner than you think. Get your tickets reserved.

Happy journey!
  • edited February 10
    :neutral:
    Nothing motivates.
    I have become a person who is really not on track. An excusemaker.
    Problem is with me. The zeal.
    How to fix it.
    :confused:
  • pizzza said:

782 is enough to motivate any serious aspirant.

People have thousands of problems around. The only solution is to cry and cry passionately, wipe the tears and hold your head high and begin to prepare.

There is no time to get depressed or to have any second thoughts. 90 days and you either do or die. It's a battle and you are a soldier on the battle field.

Solve this mess, pass this damn exam and get on with life. It's insanely painful to write the next prelims again. This should be the biggest motivation factor.

Forget serving the poor and all that thing, help yourself, solve your mess, make your life better. Motivate yourself to lead a new life by next march.

PS: running and all, keep it aside. Just hold your books for the next 90 days. You have zero time, the clock is ticking and the train will arrive sooner than you think. Get your tickets reserved.

Happy journey!

Qui_shi said:

Hello.
    I have been into this journey for the last 4 years. I was very much enthusiatic in the start but zeal is missing now.
    It is not just the zeal but irratic nature, sometimes fruatration , sometimes feelings of hollowness. Constant over thinking, spending too much time on phone doing nothing. Not feeling like talking to people, not being happy to feel happy.
    I don’t like comparing myself to others but trust me i am good in studies. I have always set high expectations from myself and constant overthinking is killing me.

I really dont feel like talking to anyone as i dont think anyone cam really understand me but still feel like talking to someone. Someone who can just say its okay or can direct me. On top of it i don’t like being directed or told that i should do think or that.

What to do. I know i should get up early and go for running . I do get up early but running. Even if i really try , i quit after 1-2 days.
    Its not just running its about everythig. Taking up the timetable then, not following it. Taking up a test series then not following it.
    There is a huge lack of discipline and feelings of lowlessness. What more could i have done with my life etc.

About the exam. Earlier i used to have these visuals as if i were selected, or if i get to become a civil servant etc. now doubts are there.. will that be a reality ever? I know with present state of affairs its a no. Its like a trap. Once you face the intervoew you are bound to live and die in this. There is that reluctance to not to give up on upsc. I dont see myself saying bs ho gya i can not do this. That is like going against me- how can you give up.but what is the use of it when you know it well that you are not giving it your full.
    What to do..

And i feel sad almost all the time. That has become a timepass. Be alone, think, be sad.. cry do everything but study. I am like passing each day, then month. There is no excitement or activity.

I'd recommend you to give up now or you'll be down 1 more year.

The very reason that you feel like giving up is a proof enough that you're revolting with your inner call now. Don't revolt! Attend to your inner voice! She(inner voice) wants the best for you.
  • Qui_shi said:

Nothing motivates.
    How to fix it.

For the zeal, Just add an extra z in your name like me. :sweat_smile:

Honestly if you are not motivated, life won't get better. So, your choice!
  • pizzza said:

Qui_shi said:

Nothing motivates.
    How to fix it.

For the zeal, Just add an extra z in your name like me. :sweat_smile:

Honestly if you are not motivated, life won't get better. So, your choice!
    i do get motivated but that doesn’t last.
    I think i have become a negative person and people around me no more like me.
    I know what you are meaning to say. I also tell myself, even scold myself for just letting myself be run by the days. But .
  • Thankyou for the comments though.
    Hope things get better.
  • edited February 10
    Sometimes overthinking about something can kill u.Don't think about ur past failures or 782 seats.Make a study plan.Try to stick to it and go moment by moment. If demotivated watch youtube channel like goalcast or any other inspirational videos.The solution lies within u only.
    jordan belfort.jpg
    736 x 490 - 64K
  • edited February 10

9:40 to 11:00

Don't try to get motivated from this, take the lesson. Do whatever is practical. :sunglasses:

"The day you don't feel passionate about what you do, you are just participating. "
  • looks like one of those commonly uncommon day to me..
    will sleep it off!! Thanks All
  • Its nothing abnormal everyone passes through it in this journey, these emotions often overwhelm us. Its okay to be sad, and work to remove your sadness by trying to walk again sure footedly on this path. Atb
  • Its nothing abnormal everyone passes through it in this journey, these emotions often overwhelm us. Its okay to be sad, and work to remove your sadness by trying to walk again sure footedly on this path. Atb

Thankyou.. hmm
  • Meditation can solve your problem. If you can afford time(It is free of cost) then 10 days vipassna meditation would be the best thing that can happen in your life. Trust me, these are not hollow words or any advice. It may be a chance for self realization for you.
  • edited February 10
    Qui_shi said:

looks like one of those commonly uncommon day to me..

U love upsc..so try to take a break..a long break..try to get a job..any job..bank/cgl..study hard for that..im sure u'll do it in 1-1.5 yrs..thn oneday u'll miss upsc and come back to upsc line with great satisfaction & enthusiasm just like any fresher..
    T ↑ [0→1] = T ↓ [1→infinity]
  • Only you can solve these issues. . And for that you must know you. Believe me, we tend to overestimate that we know ourselves a lot but reality is different.
  • Meditation can solve your problem. If you can afford time(It is free of cost) then 10 days vipassna meditation would be the best thing that can happen in your life. Trust me, these are not hollow words or any advice. It may be a chance for self realization for you.

Hmm
    I have been thinking about it..
  • Qui_shi said:

looks like one of those commonly uncommon day to me..

U love upsc..so try to take a break..a long break..try to get a job..any job..bank/cgl..study hard for that..im sure u'll do it in 1-1.5 yrs..thn oneday u'll miss upsc and come back to upsc line with great satisfaction & enthusiasm just like any fresher..
    I am already 26 and i dont want to go in ssc or bank. I am sorry for sounding stupid but its like i would like to have things without working for them.
    To have means- i wish i was studying in some good institute. I wish i was pursuing law.
    But now i feel like i can not just say bye to upsc. I want to work my way around it, to somehow get back into seriously studying. And issue is not today, i can buckle up and start studying now, but its about the next or the next day.

There is recurring distractions, self criticism and feelings of sadness over present state. And doubts about future.

I completely understand no one but i will have to actually ‘work’ for it.
    But was feeling low.. none to talk with, i feel like troubling people with my same state. Hence forum
  • edited February 10
    1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

Happy journey!

Qui_shi said:

Hello.

What to do..

The very reason that you feel like giving up is a proof enough that you're revolting with your inner call now. Don't revolt! Attend to your inner voice! She(inner voice) wants the best for you.
    The fact that he/she is trying to seek help/suggestions here proves that quitting is not an option.

Also, there's hardly anything one can do in next 3 months, in order to change their lives, any other option apart from cse will also require a lot of time and effort.

Its better to study and give a good crack at the exam rather than being confused. If prelims works well, well and good. Else there is enough time to think and ponder over the future after the prelims.
  • pizzza said:

1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

Happy journey!

Qui_shi said:

Hello.

What to do..

The fact that he/she is trying to seek help/suggestions here proves that quitting is not an option.

Also, there's hardly anything one can do in next 3 months, in order to change their lives, any other option apart from cse will also require a lot of time and effort.

Its better to study and give a good crack at the exam rather than being confused. It prelims works well, good enough. Else there is enough time to think and ponder over the future after the prelims.
    Hmmm... need to close mind and focus
    Karma. Is the only key.
  • I have already been in this journey for the past five years. now this is my last attempt. All my friends with whom I had preparing have switched on to other career paths when I was taking mains this december. But I still want to give it another try. And I too have these bouts of depression, uncertainty, doubts,etc. Won't delve much into that.All I would say is give it another thought. If you are sure you want to carry on then there is no option other than forcing yourself. If you are not able to maintain consistency say running/jogging..then go for a walk. If not in morning then evening. Take another sim. Add just a few people you are close with and can talk to. It is important to keep touch with friends/ors also. Make lists and take a dive now. When feb ends you have to start with prelims.
    I am studying at home..so to maintain consistency I have joined an online classes ..which helps me maintain irregularity. And remember you are not alone..there are many like us out there. Take a decision and follow that. Push yourself everyday. The most important part of this exam or other exams of this level is the discipline...and most importantly mental discipline. You have to take care of that. Push yourself harder..and start with small steps :smile:
  • I have already been in this journey for the past five years. now this is my last attempt. All my friends with whom I had preparing have switched on to other career paths when I was taking mains this december. But I still want to give it another try. And I too have these bouts of depression, uncertainty, doubts,etc. Won't delve much into that.All I would say is give it another thought. If you are sure you want to carry on then there is no option other than forcing yourself. If you are not able to maintain consistency say running/jogging..then go for a walk. If not in morning then evening. Take another sim. Add just a few people you are close with and can talk to. It is important to keep touch with friends/ors also. Make lists and take a dive now. When feb ends you have to start with prelims.
    I am studying at home..so to maintain consistency I have joined an online classes ..which helps me maintain irregularity. And remember you are not alone..there are many like us out there. Take a decision and follow that. Push yourself everyday. The most important part of this exam or other exams of this level is the discipline...and most importantly mental discipline. You have to take care of that. Push yourself harder..and start with small steps :smile:

Thankyou . . Wish you best dear

ignore the typo errors..and all the best! :smiley:

• 9:40 to 11:00

Don't try to get motivated from this, take the lesson. Do whatever is practical. :sunglasses:

"The day you don't feel passionate about what you do, you are just participating. "

+1

But he won't understand.
  • pizzza said:

1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

Happy journey!

Qui_shi said:

Hello.

What to do..

Its better to study and give a good crack at the exam rather than being confused. If prelims works well, well and good. Else there is enough time to think and ponder over the future after the prelims.
    1 can still do a lot in these 3 months.

I just submitted my SOP today, with trembling hands. Will have to rub shoulders with kids, in this old age of mine. -Cough Cough -

God forbid, if he ended up like me because of these motivational paragraphs.

Such paragraphs ruined me already. I'd have exit 2 years ago.

Anyways, it's his life. Let him make it or mar it.
  • edited February 10
    Hi @Qui_shi,

I can totally connect to whatever you've written. I know how difficult it becomes to keep going. The feeling of being alone in the midst of this crowded world. I screwed up my IFoS Mains due to this numbness only. Hardly studied 10-15 days effectively out of the whole November.

I'll write down what worked for me in breaking this monotony and coming out of this vicious cycle.

1. I started going to Rajpath daily for running. It takes 10 Rs and around fifteen minutes to go to Rajpath from ORN via DTC bus. I used to catch the bus at 06:30 AM and run from Central Secretariat to India Gate. The thrill of running on Rajpath can't be described in words. You'll meet amazing people there, from cyclists to men in uniform, jogging on the same track.

2. I joined a library. It is much better than staying at room. I used to get all type of negative thought while being isolated in the room. Plus, the habit of going to bed when tensed and lying there whole day, just thinking. Joining library eliminated all this. Even if negative thoughts come while being in library, they won't last for more than an hour or two. After that whole day is ours to study.

And please watch this video. It motivates me everytime I watch it.

Which online classes
  • 1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

Happy journey!

Qui_shi said:

Hello.

What to do..

I just submitted my SOP today, with trembling hands. Will have to rub shoulders with kids, in this old age of mine. -Cough Cough -

Can I ask where or for what did you submit that SOP?
  • 1ManArmy said:

9:40 to 11:00

+1

But he won't understand.
    Haha. That is bound to happen. :neutral:
  • 1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

Happy journey!

Qui_shi said:

Hello.

What to do..

To get into regular full time Postgrad.
  • edited February 10
    1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

Happy journey!

Qui_shi said:

Hello.

What to do..

Dude quit spreading negativity. There is a thin line between being a realist and being a pessimist. Dont breach that line.
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • 1ManArmy said:

1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

1ManArmy said:

pizzza said:

Happy journey!

Qui_shi said:

Hello.

What to do..

Dude quit spreading negativity. Sometimes people confuse pessimism with realism. You should really evaluate which direction you are swinging.
    Yep.

I have extreme pessimism. Partly or wholly due to illness.

Fellow members should use their discretion while paying heed to me
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog