MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Preparing Non Conventional Questions For Prelims + Crowd sourcing of topics UNTOUCHED by UPSC

edited February 8 in Daily Quiz
Hi,
A very Good morning after the day of the storm!!! (782 seats :/ )
How do you prepare non conventional questions for upsc? Which are the best sources to refer?

And whats a sure way to get that holy 1/10k seats in prelims?

Please mention your suggestions along with sources:

Please confine to serious discussions on this thread.

Comments

• Consider these questions to know what Im talking about:

At one of the places in India, if you stand on the seashore and watch the sea, you will find that the sea water recedes from the shore line a few kilometres and comes back to the shore, twice a day, and you can actually walk on the sea floor when the water recedes. This unique phenomenon is seen at
    (a) Bhavnagar

(b) Bheemunipatnam

(c) Chandipur

(d) Nagapattinam

According to the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972, which of the following animals cannot be hunted by any person except under some provisions provided by law?

Gharial
    Indian wild ass
    Wild buffalo
    Select the correct answer using the code given below:

(a) 1 only

(b) 2 and 3 only

(c) 1 and 3 only

(d) 1, 2 and 3

Solution: D

Justification: All of these are protected scheduled animals under the Wildlife Act.

http://envfor.nic.in/legis/wildlife/wildlife2s1.pdf (how the hell do you remember all those)

If you travel by road from Kohima to Kottayam, what is the minimum number of States within India through which you can travel, including the origin and the destination?
    (a) 6

(b) 7

(c) 8

(d) 9

With reference to ‘National Investment and Infrastructure Fund’, which of the following statements is/are correct?

It is an organ of NITI Aayog.
    It has a corpus of Rs. 4, 00,000 crore at present.

(a) 1 only

(b) 2 only

(c) Both 1 and 2

(d) Neither 1 nor 2

***(whats the way to remember figures of such schemes or maybe weight of satellite? Can anyone tell me good current affairs source for these figures)***
    OR SEE STATEMENT 3 OF THIS QUESTION

Consider the following statements:
    India has ratified the Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) of WTO.
    TFA is a part of WTO’s Bali Ministerial Package of 2013.
    TFA came into force in January 2016.
    Which of the statements given above is/are correct?

(a) 1 and 2 only

(b) 1 and 3 only

(c) 2 and 3 only

(d) 1, 2 and 3

If you want to see gharials in their natural habitat, which one of the following is the best place to visit?
    (a) Bhitarkanika Mangroves

(b) Chambal River

(c) Pulicat Lake

(d) Deepor Beel

• There is nothing unconventional in these. Some are straightforward, maybe some are Not straightforward or in the language we expect. Some are pure common sense questions ( e.g Kohima to kerala)
  • Let's add on. Competition is savage this time.
  • edited February 8
    sc said:

There is nothing unconventional in these. Some are straightforward, maybe some are Not straightforward or in the language we expect. Some are pure common sense questions ( e.g Kohima to kerala)

+100
  • Consider these questions to know what Im talking about:

At one of the places in India, if you stand on the seashore and watch the sea, you will find that the sea water recedes from the shore line a few kilometres and comes back to the shore, twice a day, and you can actually walk on the sea floor when the water recedes. This unique phenomenon is seen at
    (a) Bhavnagar

(b) Bheemunipatnam

(c) Chandipur

(d) Nagapattinam

According to the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972, which of the following animals cannot be hunted by any person except under some provisions provided by law?

Gharial
    Indian wild ass
    Wild buffalo

(a) 1 only

(b) 2 and 3 only

(c) 1 and 3 only

(d) 1, 2 and 3

Solution: D

Justification: All of these are protected scheduled animals under the Wildlife Act.

http://envfor.nic.in/legis/wildlife/wildlife2s1.pdf (how the hell do you remember all those)

If you travel by road from Kohima to Kottayam, what is the minimum number of States within India through which you can travel, including the origin and the destination?
    (a) 6

(b) 7

(c) 8

(d) 9

With reference to ‘National Investment and Infrastructure Fund’, which of the following statements is/are correct?

It is an organ of NITI Aayog.
    It has a corpus of Rs. 4, 00,000 crore at present.

(a) 1 only

(b) 2 only

(c) Both 1 and 2

(d) Neither 1 nor 2

***(whats the way to remember figures of such schemes or maybe weight of satellite? Can anyone tell me good current affairs source for these figures)***
    OR SEE STATEMENT 3 OF THIS QUESTION

Consider the following statements:
    India has ratified the Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) of WTO.
    TFA is a part of WTO’s Bali Ministerial Package of 2013.
    TFA came into force in January 2016.
    Which of the statements given above is/are correct?

(a) 1 and 2 only

(b) 1 and 3 only

(c) 2 and 3 only

(d) 1, 2 and 3

If you want to see gharials in their natural habitat, which one of the following is the best place to visit?
    (a) Bhitarkanika Mangroves

(b) Chambal River

(c) Pulicat Lake

(d) Deepor Beel

1. Practice as many tests and questions as you can
    2. Develop an individual approach towards smart guessing and elimination
    3. Expand your reading coverage if it's possible
    4. Try to solve and work out an answer even to the questions you are not entirely sure about
    5. Readiness to adapt to surprises and bouncers in the final exam
    6. Strengthen your conventional areas so strong such that you can skip 2-3 values questions

Btw among the list of and you mentioned all are pretty much conventional area based, current affairs oriented expect for the first one (Chandipur).
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
  • edited February 8
    Thank you so much!
    I was not suggesting the questions per se are from unconventional area. I was saying about options!
    Fund of NIIF, the launch of TFA and likewise!

Given the tough competition I think its wise to be ready for more such questions which requires intense cramming up.
    And Could we have a thread or group solely to crowdsource untouched topics by upsc? As prelims has become so savage like @Mulberry said, we could do better by listing such untouched areas! :)
  • edited February 8
    It is never possible to study with crowd sourcing of questions. It would be a waste of time. The "Do-it-yourself" principle works best. It is tough and time consuming but you evolve through the process. That is why I never prefer short compilations prepared by someone else. I read the original source. For this you need good reading speed. I can contribute to this (in a big way even) but I don't have time to waste.
  • It is never possible to study with crowd sourcing of questions. It would be a waste of time. The "Do-it-yourself" principle works best. It is tough and time consuming but you evolve through the process. That is why I never prefer short compilations prepared by someone else. I read the original source. For this you need good reading speed. I can contribute to this (in a big way even) but I don't have time to waste.

It was not about questions! Its about topics! :wink:
  • Thank you so much!
    I was not suggesting the questions per se are from unconventional area. I was saying about options!

Given the tough competition I think its wise to be ready for more such questions which requires intense cramming up.
    And Could we have a thread or group solely to crowdsource untouched topics by upsc? As prelims has become so savage like @Mulberry said, we could do better by listing such untouched areas! :)

Hi,
    Just my opinion...

Don't worry about NIIF and TFA type questions. They are important (not obscure) issues of current affairs, and if you follow CA magazine or papers you would come across these quite frequently (not now but last years)

So focus on comprehensive CA prepartion that will definitely cover these questions.

MAP is very important for prelim, both India's internal and important world regions. It's nothing surprising, such questions are being asked since few years. Map includes hill ranges, lakes, rivers too. So go through maps atleast 1hr/week, then it will also be covered.

Questions like wildlife one, should also be done by common sense. These species are definitely important and vulnerable so common says they must be under some schedule of WPA Act, (if animal was deer or dog then you could eliminate that). For this type of questions never try to cram all schedules of WPA. Although you could read Schedule A once, it will give you an idea of most vulnerable speices. Such questions would always be asked due to Forest Services prelim.

Gharial one wala, is quite repeated question in my view. Such questions can be covered by solving many test series and previous year plus other UPSC's exams.
  • Thank you so much!

Hi,
    Just my opinion...

Don't worry about NIIF and TFA type questions. They are important (not obscure) issues of current affairs, and if you follow CA magazine or papers you would come across these quite frequently (not now but last years)

So focus on comprehensive CA prepartion that will definitely cover these questions.

MAP is very important for prelim, both India's internal and important world regions. It's nothing surprising, such questions are being asked since few years. Map includes hill ranges, lakes, rivers too. So go through maps atleast 1hr/week, then it will also be covered.

Questions like wildlife one, should also be done by common sense. These species are definitely important and vulnerable so common says they must be under some schedule of WPA Act, (if animal was deer or dog then you could eliminate that). For this type of questions never try to cram all schedules of WPA. Although you could read Schedule A once, it will give you an idea of most vulnerable speices. Such questions would always be asked due to Forest Services prelim.

Gharial one wala, is quite repeated question in my view. Such questions can be covered by solving many test series and previous year plus other UPSC's exams.
    Okay, thanks a ton!! This is the best best suggestion ever! :)
    I'll follow this! :) :)
  • edited February 8

Thank you so much!

hmm....TFA, NIIF(this one in news this year too :wink: ) were in news last january so a question was very much expected...gharial one i did because i have been to beehad of chambal.....and for the wpa one i think apart from vermins and bats and crows you cant hunt any other animal so every animal is protected to some degree...see schedule 5 of act
    signature
  • Mere think I marked all ques correct and did not attempt first one. Baad me pata chala kitkat rapper me tha uska answer..:P
    Don’t go for useless n number of mocks. Do basic books right,go for any one mock and do newspaper dilligently.
    And above all revise the above stuffs.
    Prelims=1 ,Mains= 1, Interview=0
    Essay-141 , GS-396 , PSIR Optional.
    Ex-Geography.
  • Hi,
    How do you prepare non conventional questions for upsc? Which are the best sources to refer?

And whats a sure way to get that holy 1/10k seats in prelims?

Please mention your suggestions along with sources:

Please confine to serious discussions on this thread.

Just Strengthen your basics sources and all thses question came from standard sources(Rest Needed Some brain pressurizing in exam)
  • common sense and some subconsciously acquired knowledge
    1. chandipur is also known as chandipur-on-sea.Itni baar newspaper mein padha tha. So marked this option
    2. Yeh teeno large animals itne bhi common animals nahi hai. Isliye marked that neither can be hunted. Waise bhi aajkal hunting kaun karta hai
    3.map question - geography optional
    4. 4 lakh crore ka fund??? Seems unusual
    5. left
    6. discovery mein show dekha thaa- chambal gharialon ke upar
    :mrgreen:
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.
  • Hi,

pehle ye line exam ke ek din baad bolte the now after notification :( .. dont know how many storm ahead el modi
    “The road to power is paved with hypocrisy, and casualties. Never regret.”
  • Practice 2-3 test a Day

( Vision Ias, Shankar, Insight and KSG) ( these are the best )

Revise Lucent 5-6 times before exam ( Factual question usually tackled from these)

these unconventional question have already been asked in State psc and SSC paper

Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog