ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Does candidate whose first preference is IFS has to give interview in english?

Hi I just started my prepration and I stumbled upon this question as my first choice would be IFS (foreign) but I'm gonna give my exams in hindi and all that..talked to a veteran(experienced prep guy) who said you have to be able to talk in english if you wanna be so.
So it's true? Should I start practicing english too? Because it'll take a year at least just to build some sentences fluently.

P.s. - forgive me if it's a query too dumb to be asked.

Comments

• edited February 3

Don't know about interview, you can give your interview in the language of your choice. But It's pretty obvious if you want IFS you should know English by default. You'll be conversing with people from all kinds of background and languages and you will have to learn a 3rd language anyway for CFL. No harm in learning English. It should be a must.

warning: I'm not an expert.

• Don't know about interview, you can give your interview in the language of your choice. But It's pretty obvious if you want IFS you should know English by default. You'll be conversing with people from all kinds of background and languages and you will have to learn a 3rd language anyway for CFL. No harm in learning English. It should be a must.

Really very thanks...You're right. Just two more question can we choose a 3rd language of our choice? How do they decide which candidate should be given german , Chinese etc? And what's the rank to become an IFS?
  • edited February 3

Don't know about interview, you can give your interview in the language of your choice. But It's pretty obvious if you want IFS you should know English by default. You'll be conversing with people from all kinds of background and languages and you will have to learn a 3rd language anyway for CFL. No harm in learning English. It should be a must.

Really very thanks...You're right. Just two more question can we choose a 3rd language of our choice? How do they decide which candidate should be given german , Chinese etc? And what's the rank to become an IFS?
    I can understand your problem. It takes few months atleast to master this skill of identifying important info in news paper. I used to read everything as a beginner, including loss n profit of private companies under business/economy section ;) it takes months just to understand the exam. unless you are groomed properly by parents ( tina dab)i for years, people say iits difficult to clear upsc in first attempt though not impossible.

Finish basic books asap, specially economy n polity basics should help u read news papers more efficiently. Read a good world history book, though not useful from preliminary point of view, it helps you understand international issues properly.

• For 20th century world history Norma Lowe is good, interesting too. Try once.
  • kummies said:

For 20th century world history Norma Lowe is good, interesting too. Try once.

Thanks sir just got it from torrent gonna read it now , really really thanks.
  • kummies said:

I can understand your problem. It takes few months atleast to master this skill of identifying important info in news paper. I used to read everything as a beginner, including loss n profit of private companies under business/economy section ;) it takes months just to understand the exam. unless you are groomed properly by parents ( tina dab)i for years, people say iits difficult to clear upsc in first attempt though not impossible.

Finish basic books asap, specially economy n polity basics should help u read news papers more efficiently. Read a good world history book, though not useful from preliminary point of view, it helps you understand international issues properly.

Yes it's quite overwhelming but trying my best wanna devote whole year to this cause by heart excited and afraid a little.. but will do my best thanks again.
  • edited February 3

Hi I just started my prepration and I stumbled upon this question as my first choice would be IFS (foreign) but I'm gonna give my exams in hindi and all that..talked to a veteran(experienced prep guy) who said you have to be able to talk in english if you wanna be so.
    So it's true? Should I start practicing english too? Because it'll take a year at least just to build some sentences fluently.

No bro
    language not an issue
    Should show that you are genuinely interested and can easily pick up Foreign languages
    If UPSC permits people to appear in Hindi then no such issue
    People have their own perception about the process don't worry about their perceptions
    Prepare well
  • Hi I just started my prepration and I stumbled upon this question as my first choice would be IFS (foreign) but I'm gonna give my exams in hindi and all that..talked to a veteran(experienced prep guy) who said you have to be able to talk in english if you wanna be so.

No bro
    language not an issue
    Should show that you are genuinely interested and can easily pick up Foreign languages
    If UPSC permits people to appear in Hindi then no such issue
    People have their own perception about the process don't worry about their perceptions
    Prepare well
    Thanks sir . Thank you very much.
  • edited February 3
    OP is writing flawlessly in english and everyone is suggesting ways :joy:
    Saw the passion in my vulnerabilities? Now see the strength in my resolution.
  • edited February 3

Your written English is already great if I may say so. You just want to get to the conversation part, right? You should start using it in your daily life, form a group and interact only in English. This can do the job of removing hesitation and nervousness while speaking.

For CFL, they give you options (based on wherever the vacancy is), you have to choose one from them. Ranks vary these days, Rank 1 and Rank 500 both can get into IFS. depending on how many people have given it as their 1st choice

• Don't know about interview, you can give your interview in the language of your choice. But It's pretty obvious if you want IFS you should know English by default. You'll be conversing with people from all kinds of background and languages and you will have to learn a 3rd language anyway for CFL. No harm in learning English. It should be a must.

Your written English is already great if I may say so. You just want to get to the conversation part, right? You should start using it in your daily life, form a group and interact only in English. This can do the job of removing hesitation and nervousness while speaking.

For CFL, they give you options (based on wherever the vacancy is), you have to choose one from them. Ranks vary these days, Rank 1 and Rank 500 both can get into IFS. depending on how many people have given it as their 1st choice
    To form a group is quite hard here but will try or will join some online platform.
    Ah.. i have to double my efforts to be a diplomat then
  • OP is writing flawlessly in english and everyone is suggesting ways :joy:

Writing is ok but conversation is where i lack
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog