CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY: Seminar on - 27th Sep. - 5pm & 9th Oct. – 11 am
Foundation Classes: 28th Sep. and 29th Sep.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
,Website:- www.mitrasias.com

URGENT ATTENTION PLEASE!!! Political science optional :realistic chances in 2018 starting today

Dear all, i will be giving my fourth attempt in 2018, and i have given earlier 3 attempts with engineering optional all unsuccessful.
I want to ask if i start pol sc optional today what realistic chances do i have of getting good marks in it this year? I can give 3 months before prelims as i am quite comfortable with pre. I am general category.
Would request senior and experienced members to please pour in their views as it is urgent.
I have made new id only for this question.
I am tagging few famous people of the forum i know. I apologise in advance if their optional is not psir.
@IWRA @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @Neyawn.
Please tag other seniors of psir as i don't know about them.
Request everyone to put up as detailed answer as possible.

Comments

• You must be aware of AIR 7 CSE-2016 (4th attempt). He is a friend of mine and had changed to PSIR in his 4th attempt. So, in short, going by his experience, I guess it is not unrealistic to assume that even by changing optional in your 4th attempt, you can get good marks and a good rank.
  • "Nothing is impossible here in upsc. Each one writes a unique story on this unique wall of upsc ! ATB" :)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • Dear all, i will be giving my fourth attempt in 2018, and i have given earlier 3 attempts with engineering optional all unsuccessful.
    I want to ask if i start pol sc optional today what realistic chances do i have of getting good marks in it this year? I can give 3 months before prelims as i am quite comfortable with pre. I am general category.
    Would request senior and experienced members to please pour in their views as it is urgent.
    I am tagging few famous people of the forum i know. I apologise in advance if their optional is not psir.

First, I am glad you asked this question. Most people choose an optional and because they have invested x number of years in it, remain stuck in it for years until they exhaust their attempt.

Simply because they have invested too much time and energy into it, it makes no sense to walk out of it so late, just like people who lose in poker keep playing it.

Having said that, it has been the curious case of optionals that people score very well in their first attempt itself. It is a different matter that they may not be able to replicate or improve score in their later attempts , after studying more.

Not just these days , but historically also , at least one fifth of a class of students who would write their first attempt that year would qualify for the interview and even make it to the final list from an optional classroom. That’s because they know little , but retain everything being taught in those three months class between prelims and mains - recency effect or the curiosity of learning a fresh and new subject.

So yes it can be done .

Also if a subject is not working out for you over a number of years, don’t be stuck in the gamblers bet. Get out of it.

I still remember a female candidate who had helped me a lot, write her sixth mains by changing optional . She was selected in her first attempt and went on to become a famous woman IPS officer. I met her much later after a long gap , in her last attempt . She said she had changed her optional .

I asked but why?

And she said the more knowledge I am gaining the l lesser marks I am scoring . I think I am writing answer like experts while UPSC needs lesser answers.

I do not how she did in her last attempt , and with increased attempts I think she may still have attempts left, but people she heavily regretted being stuck with her optional for so long.

Few days back, I saw her in YouTube and your question just reminded me of my little conversation.

P.S. Large candidates appearing for interview who I am meeting are surprisingly first timers who know very little but are very clear with what they know. Also they have done optional classes after prelims and cleared for interview in that attempt itself.

*No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • thankyou friends for motivation but please give some specific inputs or tag some psir guys
  • Neyawn said:

Dear all, i will be giving my fourth attempt in 2018, and i have given earlier 3 attempts with engineering optional all unsuccessful.

First, I am glad you asked this question. Most people choose an optional and because they have invested x number of years in it, remain stuck in it for years until they exhaust their attempt.

Simply because they have invested too much time and energy into it, it makes no sense to walk out of it so late, just like people who lose in poker keep playing it.

Having said that, it has been the curious case of optionals that people score very well in their first attempt itself. It is a different matter that they may not be able to replicate or improve score in their later attempts , after studying more.

Not just these days , but historically also , at least one fifth of a class of students who would write their first attempt that year would qualify for the interview and even make it to the final list from an optional classroom. That’s because they know little , but retain everything being taught in those three months class between prelims and mains - recency effect or the curiosity of learning a fresh and new subject.

So yes it can be done .

Also if a subject is not working out for you over a number of years, don’t be stuck in the gamblers bet. Get out of it.

I still remember a female candidate who had helped me a lot, write her sixth mains by changing optional . She was selected in her first attempt and went on to become a famous woman IPS officer. I met her much later after a long gap , in her last attempt . She said she had changed her optional .

I asked but why?

And she said the more knowledge I am gaining the l lesser marks I am scoring . I think I am writing answer like experts while UPSC needs lesser answers.

I do not how she did in her last attempt , and with increased attempts I think she may still have attempts left, but people she heavily regretted being stuck with her optional for so long.

Few days back, I saw her in YouTube and your question just reminded me of my little conversation.

P.S. Large candidates appearing for interview who I am meeting are surprisingly first timers who know very little but are very clear with what they know. Also they have done optional classes after prelims and cleared for interview in that attempt itself.

an eye opener for me . thank you for sharing this ! .
  • thankyou friends for motivation but please give some specific inputs or tag some psir guys

Brother follow - https://unacademy.com/user/amritanshu111-8385 very Specific and direct to the point.
  • SOHUM said:

thankyou friends for motivation but please give some specific inputs or tag some psir guys

Brother follow - https://unacademy.com/user/amritanshu111-8385 very Specific and direct to the point.
    And follow this too
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog