ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Why can't we all request UPSC to give option to choose optional subject after release of marks?

I think one can take better decision about choosing optional subject after looking at marks.

Please hit '+1' if you think this is the right thing, at least for future aspirants. UPSC will take this as good suggestion from our side.

Comments

• I think one can take better decision about choosing optional subject after looking at marks.

Please hit '+1' if you think this is the right thing, at least for future aspirants. UPSC will take this as good suggestion from our side.

Don't worry bro by the time you count all +1s in ForumIAS UPSC would make it 0 by removing optional. Chill.
  • edited December 2018
    +1

How do we send in a representation to the chairman?

One way would be to write a cover letter explaining the issue.

And then in the next page prepare a table with columns for name, roll number ( CSE 2018) and signature. If someone can take initiative and get all the signatures in aspirants in delhi then we will have at least a few thousand names.

For signatures from all over the country, we can open up a Google form and share it here, where people who are outside delhi can share contact details. We can send them the format for name, roll number, signature. Once they collect the signatures from their district or city, they can courier it to a person handling this delhi.

Once we have signatures of about 10,000 aspirants, someone in delhi can go submit it in person to the chairman by requesting an appointment.

All this can be done in a week or two.

Even after this, nothing may change, but it's worth a try.

Let me know if you guys are willing to do this.

@zohanmukharjee kindly request you to announce this

PS, I'm only in this if it's done in a peaceful and co-ordinating manner. No protests, no news coverage, No court petitions, No mixing it with extra attempts etc. I have seen it happening before that's why.
    Just submission of a simple representation and then leave it for the upsc to make a decision, without any expectations.
  • pizzza said:

+1

And then in the next page prepare a table with columns for name, roll number ( CSE 2018) and signature. If someone can take initiative and get all the signatures in aspirants in delhi then we will have at least a few thousand names.

For signatures from all over the country, we can open up a Google form and share it here, where people who are outside delhi can share contact details. We can send them the format for name, roll number, signature. Once they collect the signatures from their district or city, they can courier it to a person handling this delhi.

Once we have signatures of about 10,000 aspirants, someone in delhi can go submit it in person to the chairman by requesting an appointment.

PS, I'm only in this if it's done in a peaceful and co-ordinating manner. No protests, no news coverage, No court petitions, No mixing it with extra attempts etc. I have seen it happening before that's why.
    Just submission of a simple representation and then leave it for the upsc to make a decision, without any expectations.

+1.
  • edited December 2018
    pizzza said:

+1

I think I wrote this in excitement. Pardon me. :sweat_smile:

I gave the issue a deeper thought and these questions popped up in my mind.

We get to know the optional marks by June. The mains exam will be in September end. Approx 3 months gap.

Can you prepare a new optional in 3 months and score 300+ ?
    My personal answer, No.

If we know that our performance in optional hasn't been good in the previous two mains, then we will have to make a decision to change the optional at least 8 months before mains so that we have a genuine chance of scoring good. This is exactly what we do during prelims application. We make a conscious decision to stay with or change the optional before 6 months from mains.

There may be a few exceptions where people may score 300+ by reading a new optional in 3 months but for most of us that is simply not realistically possible is what I feel. At least not for me.

Let me also play the devil's advocate.
    Imagine yourself in the shoe of the chairman, you go to submit the representation to him. What will be his first question?
    How can you prepare a new optional 3 months before an exam, are you a serious aspirant?

Now I know and understand our difficulties as an aspirant. But imagine you being in his place, that would be the first question coming from him.

Imho, if you feel that your optional is Not working and even if you have 1% doubt about your optional. Change it at least 8 months before the mains so that you have a genuine chance of doing well. I'm doing it personally.

Consider me out of this. :sweat_smile: I should think before I write something lol. :sweat_smile:
  • The only legitimate demand can be to release marks as soon as Mains results are declared so people can take informed choices. Anything else is sheer nonsense.
  • The only legitimate demand can be to release marks as soon as Mains results are declared so people can take informed choices. Anything else is sheer nonsense.

This won't happen. This has been discussed many a times and UPSC has been firm that it will not disclose any marks till the complete process is over. It's a settled matter even in the apex court.
  • edited December 2018
    1. Jo chal rha wo kisi reason se chal rha h.
    2. Upsc goal is if you don't know optional before preparation for prelims then better you skip your attempt that year.
    3. Marks anyways given before PT test so one may skip the attempt at that moment also.

Collective wisdom. Individualistic pain.

Pizza tau is right you can't prepare ANY OPTIONAL in three months to 300+ level and without that any change in that attempt os useless at individual level too.

If still anyone wants change and feels that change will be better than current situation then ATB. I am ready to sign anyday anytime. Afterall I myself has been victim of this vicious trap or CHAKRAVYUHA of upsc ! :)

PS- Optional subject hi khatam hojaye to baat hi ku6 or h :mrgreen:
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • What about marksheet release of non qualified people with mains result!!
    KARMASUTRA,
    (n).when fate f**ks you all sorts of creative ways...
  • edited December 2018
    Yesterday when I was attending interview guidance session, I met a guy who shifted from Philosophy to Anthro this year and he has cleared mains. He is from general category. He is a senior candidate, but cleared with anthro first time and is first interview call in his 5th attempt. So you never know what works for you. Jo bhi karoge, soch ke karo. Don't make decisions in haste. Good luck.
  • Vakkoda said:

Yesterday when I was attending interview guidance session, I met a guy who shifted from Philosophy to Anthro this year and he has cleared mains. He is from general category. He is a senior candidate, but cleared with anthro first time and is first interview call in his 5th attempt. So you never know what works for you. Jo bhi karoge, soch ke karo. Don't make decisions in haste. Good luck.

I know who are talking about ! You forget this time he prepared with a job in private sector, where as last time it was full time prep.
    | History Optional |
  • Optional seedhe DAF me bharwana chahiye..Prelims se kya matlab optional ka
    Chaman meñ iḳhtilāt-e-rañg-o-bū se baat bantī hai ,

Ham hī ham haiñ to kyā ham haiñ tum hī tum ho to kyā tum ho .
  • edited December 2018
    It is true that optional cannot be prepared within 3 months. But what is wrong if they give us the choice to choose optional after prelims?
    One can start preparing a new optional in jan-feb. And if he finds out he scored well in optional by may. he can stick to his old optional otherwise can continue preparing in his new optional.
    (This may not help optionals with huge syllabus like maths, but will greatly help for optionals like anthropology)
    I was horribly wrong in guessing my marksheet in my first attempt. like error of 100 marks in my optional. i was wrong in guessing everything paper including the languages..
  • may be upsc wants to know what in general junta applying for prelims is taking optional.. just saying!!!
    does it change with results of previous year etc. they can have a picture of public opinion.. to steer crowd out of a particular optional.

taking only pre qualified people as a sample may not extrapolate to whole of population.

also this helps in setting prelims questions in balanced manner .

P.S I too support upsc must see aspirants comfort first.
    But this exam may not be about comforting...
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google