CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY: Seminar on - 27th Sep. - 5pm & 9th Oct. – 11 am
Foundation Classes: 28th Sep. and 29th Sep.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
,Website:- www.mitrasias.com

is switching to anthropology in 5th attempt from Philosophy a good decision

I have given 3 mains with philosophy with highest score being 248 in 2016
Now I am tired with philosophy.i don't know what to improve how to improve
I am planning to shift to anthropology
Kindly give your valuable suggestions
Be positive..Be patient....Everything comes to you in the right moment.

Comments

• What's your performance in GS and Essay?
    रहो धर्म में धीर, रहो कर्म में वीर
    रखो उन्नत शिर , डरो ना |
  • Last year 410 and 130
  • I have given 3 mains with philosophy with highest score being 248 in 2016

5th attempt mein go for it ..

Mera last attempt hai, so stuck with a pathetic optional, 2nd last attempt hota to main bhi change kar leta
    बने पुजारी प्रेमी साकी, गंगाजल पावन हाला,
    रहे फेरता अविरत गति से मधु के प्यालों की माला'
    'और लिये जा, और पीये जा', इसी मंत्र का जाप करे'
    मैं शिव की प्रतिमा बन बैठूं, मंदिर हो यह मधुशाला ।

Bhai don't change optional at this stage
    I have wasted my 3 precious mains in this dilemma.... So I would suggest you to stick the optional as you have got decent marks in 2016 .....baki bhai upper wale k hath mai chor do...

Otherwise if you have much more energy and enthusiasm than earlier attempts than u may think about changing the optional

All the best :)
    Jo aaj tera hai ,wo kal mera hoga aur parso kisi aur ka ho jayega !!
  • Stuck with the same thinking..2nd mains with Philosophy.. thinking to change but I guess no time left for now. Pre is approaching.
  • uv said:

Stuck with the same thinking..2nd mains with Philosophy.. thinking to change but I guess no time left for now. Pre is approaching.

Enough time is there. I selected philosophy the day I filled in pre notification last year. No background whatsoever with anything related to Upsc or other state exams back then.

Then went on to clear pre and mains in first attempt this time. Started philosophy optional after pre results(was not sure about clearing pre). Got interview call. I am from General category.

Toh change karna hai toh you definitely can, but inertia is one of the worst qualities in every human being. So whatever you decide, do it with full vigour. This is my view, may be wrong.
    Leaving forum for now. All the best to everyone!

Rank 267 - CSE 2017.
  • uv said:

Stuck with the same thinking..2nd mains with Philosophy.. thinking to change but I guess no time left for now. Pre is approaching.

Enough time is there. I selected philosophy the day I filled in pre notification last year. No background whatsoever with anything related to Upsc or other state exams back then.

Then went on to clear pre and mains in first attempt this time. Started philosophy optional after pre results(was not sure about clearing pre). Got interview call. I am from General category.

Toh change karna hai toh you definitely can, but inertia is one of the worst qualities in every human being. So whatever you decide, do it with full vigour. This is my view, may be wrong.
    Yes some can achieve this. No doubt about that. I have seen people preparing optional (like Hindi Literature) after prelims exam and still manage to be in the coveted pdf.
    रखो उन्नत शिर , डरो ना |
  • uv said:

My experience

In my first attempt with geo in 2014
    I joined Geo optional class on 18th Feb, 2014 n it got over on 21st May.
    In mains I scored 267 in Geo
    But in 2016 with much more preparation just 202............
    I can't understand this phenomena, only UPSC can explain it
  • Change karlo my friend was also nt clearing with philosophy now she cleared with anthropology in 4 th attempt..but make sure u have an edge over philosophy..wahi marks aaye to koi use nhi change karne ka..tumhe khud confidence hona chahiye ki tum jyada le aaoge.

Anthropology is not that easy
    It requires a regorous 1yr+ effort
    No good coaching as well
    Think more before u make the shift
    I changed from Geo to Anthro but the subject is much more difficult than the prevailing perception abt it
  • edited January 11

Last year 410 and 130

Yaar, essay me 145+ bahut logo ke the (here you lost by at least 20 marks); GS me 410 is a good score but 10-15 marks increase karne ka scope tha 2016 me. Optional ne definitely dubaya aapko, jahan logo ke dusre optional me 300 aa rahe wahan 250 wala kya karega !

Bhai change kar lo. 2 attempts hai abhi aap ke pass. Ek senior ne 6th attempt me pub ad se PSIR liya tha, nikal gaya unka. Kabhi kabhi panauti sa hota hai optional. sala kuch bhi kar lo number nahi deta.

Konsa lena hai, ye to aapko hi decide karna chahiye. Hindi Literature me comfortable ho to dekh sakte ho. Mere kuch doston ne philosophy se hindi literature liya hai is baar. Anthro ka idea nahi hai.

Baaki aap experienced hain hi, yahan koi optional safe nahi hai, aur sab safe hai. Gamble kahan ho jaye pata hi nahi chalta. keep pushing, aapka bhi number aana chahiye, baki upar wale ke haath me.

रखो उन्नत शिर , डरो ना |
  • go for it. this was my last attempt.i switched from geog to anthro after 2016 mains reult. i have given 3 mains n one interview wid geog still finally i decided to change optional.newoptional will make u more alert and more serious because of fear of a new paper.This will help u in ur gs and essay preparation too .let loose ur inertia.go for it.sometimes new challenges bring d best out of us.
    some risk pay and some don but that doesnt mean ki we stop taking risk .

Its just my thought.final decision should be urs.

Thanks
  • abhi1610 said:

go for it. this was my last attempt.i switched from geog to anthro after 2016 mains reult. i have given 3 mains n one interview wid geog still finally i decided to change optional.newoptional will make u more alert and more serious because of fear of a new paper.This will help u in ur gs and essay preparation too .let loose ur inertia.go for it.sometimes new challenges bring d best out of us.

Thanks

Plz share the details of Vijay sir coaching. Duration of course and is it available in orn? Can anthropology be covered in 2-3 months.
  • abhi1610 said:

go for it. this was my last attempt.i switched from geog to anthro after 2016 mains reult. i have given 3 mains n one interview wid geog still finally i decided to change optional.newoptional will make u more alert and more serious because of fear of a new paper.This will help u in ur gs and essay preparation too .let loose ur inertia.go for it.sometimes new challenges bring d best out of us.

Thanks

In ur previous threads u had given reference of Vijay Singh sir.

Mera last attempt hai, so stuck with a pathetic optional, 2nd last attempt hota to main bhi change kar leta
    Please do not stick with an optional only to see it not work out. I have lot of friends who stuck to say Geography -
    for the wrong duration - and are now nearing their last attempt or exhausted it .

And not changing your optional just because you have invested too much time into it is like staying in a bad marriage - because you have , well, married. Or worse, gambling despite losses because, you have lost too much - so much so that it makes sense to lose all or gain all.

@hum2num_adhikari
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Neyawn said:

Please do not stick with an optional only to see it not work out. I have lot of friends who stuck to say Geography -
    for the wrong duration - and are now nearing their last attempt or exhausted it .

And not changing your optional just because you have invested too much time into it is like staying in a bad marriage - because you have , well, married. Or worse, gambling despite losses because, you have lost too much - so much so that it makes sense to lose all or gain all.

@hum2num_adhikari
    +1
    रखो उन्नत शिर , डरो ना |
  • if you are a general cat guy with age left, consider dropping an attempt and go for it in 2019 with the new optional. most of us realise the folly of our optionals when we are 3/4 attempts down and we keep on going with it as the next cycle starts leaving us with very little time. I should have dropped 2017 attempt but went ahead with it. It would be better to organise your new optional and give it time .
  • Neyawn said:

@hum2num_adhikari
    Kafi dilemma hai .. already in service .. and to get at least into IRS IT, I need at least 280 in optional .. getting 280+ in first attempt in any optional would require a huge effort and upsc not butchering that optional next year .. samajh nahi aa raha
    बने पुजारी प्रेमी साकी, गंगाजल पावन हाला,
    रहे फेरता अविरत गति से मधु के प्यालों की माला'
    'और लिये जा, और पीये जा', इसी मंत्र का जाप करे'
    मैं शिव की प्रतिमा बन बैठूं, मंदिर हो यह मधुशाला ।
  • I usually don't comment because I've been thrown out of the cycle.
    But personal experience says to switch optional. The more books I read and more test series I joined (socio), and tried to power through with sheer hard work and brute force, the less I scored in each subsequent attempt in optional. When I had started, an IAS (OPC-2010 batch I think. He did the same.) told me to switch if I wasn't getting results. I did not heed to his advice.

Anyway, make your own mess. There's no telling what will work for you and what won't.

All the best, buddy.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    contactjaime123@gmail.com
    twitter @contactjaime123
    My Book https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B2N695F
  • Hindi medium or eng?
  • Has philosophy gotten you to the interview stage yet?
  • Bhai, if you want to change, then don't decide by trends... See past year papers and on the basis of that decide the optional..... I had philo till 2015.... Changed to PSIR after that.....
  • Hindi medium or eng?

English
  • kehsihba said:

Bhai, if you want to change, then don't decide by trends... See past year papers and on the basis of that decide the optional..... I had philo till 2015.... Changed to PSIR after that.....

hw was your result?
    SDM :UP-2015
  • @abhi1610 bro, could you please post contact info of Vijay Sir. Which institute he teaches at?
  • vasu said:

kehsihba said:

Bhai, if you want to change, then don't decide by trends... See past year papers and on the basis of that decide the optional..... I had philo till 2015.... Changed to PSIR after that.....

hw was your result?
    In, 2nd interview
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog