ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MITRA'S IAS - "ADMISSION OPEN" - NEW BATCH BEGINNING WITH WESTERN PHILOSOPHY STARTING FROM 16th NOVEMBER 11.AM (LIMITED SEATS)
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
Website:- www.mitrasias.com;  Address: MITRAS IAS , 39 PUSA ROAD, SAMAYAK TOWER OPPOSITE METRO PILLAR NO.- 120

Literature in English Language

I am preparing for UPSC 2018 mains and am thinking to select "Literature in English" as an Optional.

Gave my Mains this year in my grad subject(Geology) and was decimated completely.

I love to read and have decent command over the language too.

If anyone is interested or can provide any tips, it would be most gracious on their part.

Comments

• @DrKingSchultz @DrKingSchultz_old

Contact him(he scored 268 in eng lit this year)..by the way I need one help from you also..what was your geology score?why you are leaving Geo and challenges in Geo...
  • Thank you guys..

I lost out in Geology because I come from a petroleum background and what geology i have read is quite different from the geology asked.

Over-confidence killed me.
  • Thank you guys..

I lost out in Geology because I come from a petroleum background and what geology i have read is quite different from the geology asked.

Over-confidence killed me.

You’re welcome and goodluck!
    The End Is the Beginning Is the End
  • This was my choice initially, but then I changed.

Is there anything you want to ask in particular?

For starters, I'd recommend History of English Literature, by William J Long. It's reader-friendly, as far as my experience goes. Giving every page a good reading while focusing more from 14-16 th century literature, would lay the basic foundation for your optional preparation. (You can read any book you feel comfortable with, but one good reading of history of literature is a must, IMO)

ALWAYS keep the socio-political milieu surrounding a literary figure in mind, it should always be at the back of your mind while reading/analysing a work or writing answers, and a book like William J Long would help you do that adequately.

I wish I had my files and notes with me to share here with you, but I have none.

Best Wishes. :)

Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog