List of 100 Students selected for SFG – Names and Roll Number

A polite discussion on why Bhojpuri isn't an 8th schedule language.

This is an invitation to all the Bhojpuri speakers to share their feelings about the issue. Plz remain civil if u have something to say.

I am a native Bhojpuri speaker. I don't claim any scholarly knowledge of the language, because of an upbringing in a multicultural environment, but I know one thing for sure that I am a purist at spoken Bhojpuri.

One hears on n off that there is some political intention of declaring it as 8th sch language, but it never comes to fruition. Meanwhile mathili speakers have the leisure of not preparing for the optional.so much so, Bhojpuri doesn't even have the recognition in Bihar PCs, let alone upsc.

It breaks my heart to see that our beautiful language spoken by millions n millions across the country doesn't even have the pleasure of recognition, forget about promotion. No recognition amounts to disrespect to it's speakers. Real Bhojpuri is way different from the crass shit they sell as Bhojpuri in movies. It borrows a lot from Urdu, nepali n sometimes is quite akin to Bengali.

What do you guys think?? Am I missing something when i think it's an independent tongue worthy of recognition. Or is it's neglect justified?

Comments

• edited December 2017
    People and politics are the two inter-related reasons.

1. Lack of regional outlook among Bhojpuri speakers. A contributing factor is that Bhojpuri speakers don't feel culturally threatened. Moreover casteism and communalism keeps people divided - former being more prominent than the latter.

2. Politics only responds to one thing - electoral threat. And language has never been a strong enough element to mobilise people in these regions. And people are lethargic, non-confrontational, non-enterprising. So there is nothing that will push the politics of the region to address regional concerns.

I think the main reason is an attitude problem - problem because regionalism is mainstream now, so lack of regionalism is a disabling thing. It's not just about recognising a language. Bhojpuri speaking areas are likely to remain the most backward area in India for a long time. Politics can enable a turn-around. But for that politics itself needs a turn-around.

and perhaps language is not the most critical oncern of the region. At least it is not perceived as being immediately related to economic backwardness.
  • bhojpuri 8 schedule main add ho jati but Hindi language pr impact hoga bcoz dono kafi same ho jaige islay add nahi hogi asa khna tha bjp MPs ka last session main let's see ..
  • edited December 2017
    भोजपुरी में शिष्ट साहित्य का अभाव है। लोक साहित्य प्रचुर होने से हम किसी बोली को भाषा का दर्जा नहीं दे सकते। साथ ही किसी भी औपचारिक कार्य में भोजपुरी का प्रयोग नहीं होता। मसलन, आरा में भी शादी के निमंत्रण पत्र मानक हिंदी में छपते हैं, भोजपुरी में नहीं। अतः यह एक बोली ही है, भाषा नहीं।
  • lack of script..kaithi script use hota hai waise..
    strong hindi lobby...
    no strong political will & effort..
    neglect by native speakers..
    bhojpuri bolna log kafi log ko ajeeb lagta h..
    mai kabhi acchi zagah bhojpuri bolne walo ko b is bhasha me baat krte nhi dekha h..
  • image Haryanvi for 8th schedule!
  • Bhojpuri is a dialect. Maithili is a language, AFAIK
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • 1ManArmy said:

image Haryanvi for 8th schedule!

hat ja tau pacche ne
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • My intention was not against maithili, I wanted to convey that it's much easier to write an optional paper that is ur own language, be it maithili or any other 8th sch language n I wish Bhojpuri had this recognition at least at the state pcs.

Jahan tak maine suna Hai the by n large reason for non inclusion for Bhojpuri is lack of literature. Agar ye reason Hai toh fir Kai local universities mein Bhojpuri mein b.a. /m.a. kyu offer karte hain. Kucch toh literature hoga iska Matlab.

• Rasputin said:

My intention was not against maithili, I wanted to convey that it's much easier to write an optional paper that is ur own language, be it maithili or any other 8th sch language n I wish Bhojpuri had this recognition at least at the state pcs.

Jahan tak maine suna Hai the by n large reason for non inclusion for Bhojpuri is lack of literature. Agar ye reason Hai toh fir Kai local universities mein Bhojpuri mein b.a. /m.a. kyu offer karte hain. Kucch toh literature hoga iska Matlab.

Sirf lok sahitya hai...MATLAB byah gauna Tilak mein Gaye Jane wale geet...sohar...etc...bhikhari Thakur ke kuch pad hai...bass.. waise Mauritius mein Bhojpuri mein likha Jara hai...
  • Besides, it is indeed recognised as a language in other countries like Mauritius n carib.

• Rasputin said:

Besides, it is indeed recognised as a language in other countries like Mauritius n carib.

Wahan theth Bhojpuri nahi bolo jati... Woh log hindi with Bhojpuri touch Bolte/likhte hain... Abhimanyu unnuth prasiddh lekhak hai
  • Gaane thode kam famous hain abhi... jaise hi pahuch badegi, log bhojpuri ko or jaanenge

Baaki ek irony: is thread main hi log hindi main baat kar rahe hain.. na ki bhojpuri main
  • Even though i know bhojpuri but I may find it difficult to write in this language. Hindi will help me better articulate my thoughts. Reason is- even though we know this language but we have not practiced it by way of writing. Other reasons are the kind of filth which has been spread by the so called singers which hinders in its promotion. The need is to revive the old folk and traditional literature/work and let not it get trapped by other wrong narratives. Also, so called intelligentsia from the land of bhojpuri need to take the cause seriously and promote this in a manner which is good for its healthy survival. #JustMyOpinion
    P - 3 | M - 3* | I -0
  • aajkal bhojpuri ki pehchan bus wahiyat gano se hoke reh gyi h apne desh me
    baki girmitiya log k bhojpuri folk (geet-gawai) unesco intangible list me h
  • Rasputin said:

Besides, it is indeed recognised as a language in other countries like Mauritius n carib.

Wahan theth Bhojpuri nahi bolo jati... Woh log hindi with Bhojpuri touch Bolte/likhte hain... Abhimanyu unnuth prasiddh lekhak hai
    bhai bhojpuri me bhi variety h banares wali boli b bhojpuri maan li jati h par bhasha vidyan use kashika ka naam dete hai
    waha to do generation chala gya
    aajkal ki janta to hindi b dhang se nhi bolti do char angrezi ka word thuse
  • भोजपुरी में शिष्ट साहित्य का अभाव है। लोक साहित्य प्रचुर होने से हम किसी बोली को भाषा का दर्जा नहीं दे सकते। साथ ही किसी भी औपचारिक कार्य में भोजपुरी का प्रयोग नहीं होता। मसलन, आरा में भी शादी के निमंत्रण पत्र मानक हिंदी में छपते हैं, भोजपुरी में नहीं। अतः यह एक बोली ही है, भाषा नहीं।

Ara se bani ka raua Bhaiya?
  • Rasputin said:

This is an invitation to all the Bhojpuri speakers to share their feelings about the issue. Plz remain civil if u have something to say.

I am a native Bhojpuri speaker. I don't claim any scholarly knowledge of the language, because of an upbringing in a multicultural environment, but I know one thing for sure that I am a purist at spoken Bhojpuri.

One hears on n off that there is some political intention of declaring it as 8th sch language, but it never comes to fruition. Meanwhile mathili speakers have the leisure of not preparing for the optional.so much so, Bhojpuri doesn't even have the recognition in Bihar PCs, let alone upsc.

It breaks my heart to see that our beautiful language spoken by millions n millions across the country doesn't even have the pleasure of recognition, forget about promotion. No recognition amounts to disrespect to it's speakers. Real Bhojpuri is way different from the crass shit they sell as Bhojpuri in movies. It borrows a lot from Urdu, nepali n sometimes is quite akin to Bengali.

What do you guys think?? Am I missing something when i think it's an independent tongue worthy of recognition. Or is it's neglect justified?

Dekhi Bhaiya...galti hamniyo ke ba...aapan boli me baat kare se hamni ke self respect ghate la(our myth)...kaboo kauno virodh kaini ja??vises rajya ke darja chahi lekin kabo ek bera aapna bhasa ke samvidhanik banave khati nitish chacha bollan Hai???
    Kahe seeki uho Jana tram...aakni ke kauno kast naikhe
  • edited December 2017
    Akhar Bhojpuri:

This is youtube channel with content in bhojpuri. Subscribed long ago, but haven't seen any video yet. I think similar efforts can help raise the bar for the language. Blogging in Bhojpuri, teaching bhojpuri to people like me who can understand but not good in speaking the language. People who are skilled in the language should volunteer. There is immense opportunity to bring about quality content.

p.s. skimmed thru the channel, ghisa pita, outdated content hai, 50+ janata ke liye hai.
  • Opkiki said:

Rasputin said:

Dekhi Bhaiya...galti hamniyo ke ba...aapan boli me baat kare se hamni ke self respect ghate la(our myth)...kaboo kauno virodh kaini ja??vises rajya ke darja chahi lekin kabo ek bera aapna bhasa ke samvidhanik banave khati nitish chacha bollan Hai???
    Kahe seeki uho Jana tram...aakni ke kauno kast naikhe
    Thik kahataaris babuo. Hum aapna jingi mein tah ee mudda par Taniyo suki ho sake tah khor ke jaayem.

• Bhojpuri doesn't have ancient documented literature. It mainly evolved from Hindi. For finding a space in 8th schedule it must have well written ancient literature, a unique script and regional newspaper. Maithili fulfills all the above criteria. It has evolving history, from 8th century to 21st century. Many writers from jyotishwar to Rajkamal Chaudhary and it has its own script. Because of lack of this government is not giving 8th schedule status. Bhojpuri speakers are unable to provide relevant materials to show that it has unique literature in past. Hope that your doubts has been clarified.
    Death is only truth rest all is Dhoka...
  • dhoka said:

Bhojpuri doesn't have ancient documented literature. It mainly evolved from Hindi. For finding a space in 8th schedule it must have well written ancient literature, a unique script and regional newspaper. Maithili fulfills all the above criteria. It has evolving history, from 8th century to 21st century. Many writers from jyotishwar to Rajkamal Chaudhary and it has its own script. Because of lack of this government is not giving 8th schedule status. Bhojpuri speakers are unable to provide relevant materials to show that it has unique literature in past. Hope that your doubts has been clarified.

bhai doubt nahi h..do char baate sab jante h baat 8th schedule k bahar ki social recognition ki b hai..
    bhojpuri maithili ko de-hyphenate krne ki bhi zarurat h chahe kauno baat par charcha ho..
  • Bhelpuri suna hai yeh bhojpuri kya hai?

Ghati hai kya be
  • If ancient script n development is a criteria then it seems like santali shouldn't have been there either. It's script was recently worked out n there isn't much literature available. At least a cursory google glance doesn't show much. I may be wrong though.

Bhojpuri does actually have a script which is not used anymore. I m guessing people who use maithili too write it in devnaagri. On that note, plz do not make this a Bhojpuri vs maithili debate. Someone has said there is a need to dehyphenate them. We know they are different n I have nothing but respect for the sweet tongue. I used maithilis name because of some level of personal affinity with it.

• edited December 2017
    Marathi, Nepali are written in devnagari. Mijo is wriiten in Roman script I think. Apart from that take English, French, German - all of them are written in Roman script. Having an exclussive script for a language is a non-issue. Infact in 50s many wanted devnagari as the script for Punjabi. There have been voices in past for enacting a common script for all Indian languages as well.

As for Bhojpuri being a dialect of Hindi as some think, it is as distant from Hindi as is Punjabi - linguistic scale corroborating with geographical width as well scaling from Indus in the west to Gandak in the east. Hindi. While Haryanvi and Awadhi mark the inbetween point on boths sides of Hindi (geographically on both sides of Delhi-Lucknow), though Awadhi is comparatively closer to Bhojpuri than Haryanvi is to Punjabi. Don't know about Bhojpuri-Maithili correlation, but I guess it is again an eastward change of language along the same continuum further towards Bengali.

The mains issue I think is of literature. There are oral traditions but is there any written literature - modern or old?
  • Local languages of Hindi belt states have been destroyed to accomodate Hindi.

It's sad that people of that region aren't attached to their heritage.
  • Local languages of Hindi belt states have been destroyed to accomodate Hindi.

It's sad that people of that region aren't attached to their heritage.

please substantiate your claim.
  • Lack of literature as simple as that....
  • Precisely...lack of documented literature..... They are unable to prove it to the government that they have rich literature unlike other languages
    Death is only truth rest all is Dhoka...
  • various people have put excellent points..
    also there is a lack of a well defined standard Grammar. Being a bhojpuri speaker myself I have experienced more than two dozen versions of bhojpuri.
    I belong to buxar district and I feel ashamed that not even a single bhojpuri magazine is available in market or anywhere in the town. I met one senior writer of a magazine PAKHI and requested to atleast provide some copies in public libraries atleat. Nothing happened even though he promised.
    there is nothing like Bhojpuri Ashmita, people forbid little children to even listen bhojpuri. blame LPG , market, need for English.. maybe.
    art/entertainment market is dominated by 3 or 4 names. few people in this generation care to read/listen/watch beyond popular names. People worship Pawan singh but do not care about Kalpana, sharda sinha, gopal rai, madan rai, vishnu ojha, Sundar popo and hundreds of other regional artists. Talented writers are turning there pen towards hindi due to market/opportunity available in mumbai.
    there are some serious efforts like maina.co.in , aakhar.com but need integration and availability for common people.
    also i don't believe there is a lack of literature but a platform where best authors can cooperate and publish the best works. lack of funding may be the reason. i have attached a booklist by a Single Writer (Hira prasad thakur). as you can see a list of 70 books.
    20171213_154650.jpg
    2560 x 1536 - 1M
    20171213_154622.jpg
    1536 x 2560 - 1M
  • edited December 2017
    Bhojpuri needs revival at many levels. Only then can come the question of it being included in 8th schedule. You can't put the cart before the horse.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog