CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY: Seminar on - 27th Sep. - 5pm & 9th Oct. – 11 am
Foundation Classes: 28th Sep. and 29th Sep.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
,Website:- www.mitrasias.com

anthropology vs sociology ?? which one to opt..

I m switching my optional to either of two...i m not able to figure out which is betr optional....veterans plzz guide me regarding ...

1) tym to complete
2) material availability
3) static-ness vs dynamic-ness of subjects
4) assured marks in xm considering avg student ( how easier/ tough is to score 250+)
5) past trend like butchering of subjects.. marks trend...
6) anything u want to add

thnk in advance !!

Comments

• some definite aspects on anthro-
    1. small syllabus.. so less time consuming
    2. any 1 good quality notes eg braintree covers 75% unlike socio where almost no consolidated material..
    3. many things follow logically, definitely there is objective element much greater than socio but not like sciences..
    4. less number of students => (Possible) uniformity in correction many 300+ scorers last year..
    5. Negligible amount of subjectivity in the paper, till now, unlike socio.. least butchered humanity optional, et al..
    6. Sometimes questions are repeated, again unlike sociology.. Syllabus coincides with GS1 to great extent..
  • Small syllabus is a myth which is been propelled by coaching institutes....
    You have to refer standard books not material like Braintree to score in Anthro....
    Also anthro less number of students is not true, more than 1000 had anthro last time and even this time also....
    Questions look simple in paper 2 but you have to write answers in anthropological perspective not gs type. look at this year paper 2....
    If you want overlap with Gs, it's geo,psir, history which has more of overlapping....
    So go with anthro only if you are comfortable rather than these irrational thoughts.....
    Now or Never
  • Gowdru said:

Small syllabus is a myth which is been propelled by coaching institutes....
    You have to refer standard books not material like Braintree to score in Anthro....
    Also anthro less number of students is not true, more than 1000 had anthro last time and even this time also....
    Questions look simple in paper 2 but you have to write answers in anthropological perspective not gs type. look at this year paper 2....
    If you want overlap with Gs, it's geo,psir, history which has more of overlapping....
    So go with anthro only if you are comfortable rather than these irrational thoughts.....

but dear.... is is doable in 3 months ?? I mean to be able to score around 250 ?? for an avg student... actually I m changing my optionals...gave 3 mains
  • Gowdru said:

but dear.... is is doable in 3 months ?? I mean to be able to score around 250 ?? for an avg student... actually I m changing my optionals...gave 3 mains
    It all depends on individual. How comfortable you are with genetics, fossils, how good u are in internalising facts and figures especially in archaeology,tribal part. And how comfortable you would be with theories which forms the core of syllabus.
    Now or Never
  • Gowdru said:

Gowdru said:

It all depends on individual. How comfortable you are with genetics, fossils, how good u are in internalising facts and figures especially in archaeology,tribal part. And how comfortable you would be with theories which forms the core of syllabus.
    thnku
  • anthro is more of cramming as ppl / things one is going to study about are all dead, even aftr writing with anthro twice i am not satisfied whether opting for this subject was ever a right decision. Obvious temptations during selecting this optional were claims made by ppl that its small syllabus with repeated questions but that is the biggest lie....paper 2 is very dynamic and study material is also not that easily available like other humanities subjects.

so one should opt for anthro if and only if he/she is comfortable in cramming some stuff (well this was my achilles heel) plus he/she has deep interest in knowing about what all ancestors we humans had and what bone in which part of their body moulded in what way to give rise to the present us!!
  • pheonixx said:

anthro is more of cramming as ppl / things one is going to study about are all dead, even aftr writing with anthro twice i am not satisfied whether opting for this subject was ever a right decision. Obvious temptations during selecting this optional were claims made by ppl that its small syllabus with repeated questions but that is the biggest lie....paper 2 is very dynamic and study material is also not that easily available like other humanities subjects.

so one should opt for anthro if and only if he/she is comfortable in cramming some stuff (well this was my achilles heel) plus he/she has deep interest in knowing about what all ancestors we humans had and what bone in which part of their body moulded in what way to give rise to the present us!!

still what tym it would take to complete syllabus and cram up things to score 250 ?? whats the avg marks of top 25%... if u Knw and can tell by ur experience....

btw I talked with few socio ppl...they told anthropology is betr.... rest it's jst the crude analysis...
  • I am also thinking of shifting from geography optional to other static or less dynamic optional. Is Anthropology less dynamic than that of other dynamic optionals ? Considering that one is good at mugging up facts/answers would it be better to get anthropology ?
  • Socio syllabus is half of anthropology
    2015- prelims failed by 1 mark
    2016 - missed final list by 9 marks
    2017- missed final list by 4 marks
  • Cremator said:

Socio syllabus is half of anthropology

hwcm u r sure ?? others said anthropology is less tym consuming and has less syllabus....

also sociology is more analytical ??

plss confirm if I m wrong
  • edited November 2017

pheonixx said:

anthro is more of cramming as ppl / things one is going to study about are all dead, even aftr writing with anthro twice i am not satisfied whether opting for this subject was ever a right decision. Obvious temptations during selecting this optional were claims made by ppl that its small syllabus with repeated questions but that is the biggest lie....paper 2 is very dynamic and study material is also not that easily available like other humanities subjects.

still what tym it would take to complete syllabus and cram up things to score 250 ?? whats the avg marks of top 25%... if u Knw and can tell by ur experience....

btw I talked with few socio ppl...they told anthropology is betr.... rest it's jst the crude analysis...
    @savitasahu average person would take 3 to 4 months(i m not exaggerating), depending on whether one has some bio background or not.
    scoring it is no doubt kyuki abhi bhi crowd kam hai relatively....socio ka mujhe zyada pta ni , but cramming shayd ni hai usme
    in my view to opt anthro one has to hav lil knowledge of biological terms, rest depends on how much one can be passionate about a subject

@Cremator bro refrain from making absolute statements without solid facts,,,, socio is a vast subject.
  • pheonixx said:

pheonixx said:

@savitasahu average person would take 3 to 4 months(i m not exaggerating), depending on whether one has some bio background or not.
    scoring it is no kyuki abhi bhi crowd kam hai relatively....socio ka mujhe zyada pta ni , but cramming shayd ni hai usme
    in my view to opt anthro one has to hav lil knowledge of biological terms, rest depends on how much one can be passionate about a subject

@Cremator bro refrain from making absolute statements without solid facts,,,, socio is a vast subject.
    thnx dear... this was helpful
  • @Cremator is a very experienced person and a master of anthro...people can take his words/ suggestions seriously...and according to my experience anthro is not so easy as told in market ....in case just check the profiles of all the people qualified in previous attempts and their no of attempts with anthro...of course there will be few first timers but the would be having a good guidance and ready to eat notes of Thier senior/ friends ...
    Mind it it's not a 3 month aao Khao type optional ...books are to be read and there is no single source ...I have referred to lot of research papers in fossils and other topics to get hold of things ...
  • @Cremator is a very experienced person and a master of anthro...people can take his words/ suggestions seriously...and according to my experience anthro is not so easy as told in market ....in case just check the profiles of all the people qualified in previous attempts and their no of attempts with anthro...of course there will be few first timers but the would be having a good guidance and ready to eat notes of Thier senior/ friends ...
    Mind it it's not a 3 month aao Khao type optional ...books are to be read and there is no single source ...I have referred to lot of research papers in fossils and other topics to get hold of things ...

U re right bro....
    prelims 4..mains 3...interview 1(no rank)
    cutoff 2018---ajgar range-->96(-+2)

Time to leave forum...inspectors are searching me everywhere...and i m afraid of ins. prabhat...he has killed NaagDansh :'(
  • edited November 2017

@Cremator is a very experienced person and a master of anthro...people can take his words/ suggestions seriously...and according to my experience anthro is not so easy as told in market ....in case just check the profiles of all the people qualified in previous attempts and their no of attempts with anthro...of course there will be few first timers but the would be having a good guidance and ready to eat notes of Thier senior/ friends ...

I m no master. Still learning .just got 275 last year

Leave it bhai. No use explain honestly. Socio is only 30% syllabus of anthropology
    Not even 50%

Many new comers like m batchmate mitochp etc took it they can tell u better how small easy it is

Lot of propaganda going around

Prehistory n archaeology alone will eatup
    sociology especially looking at specific nature like north east neolithic, deccan chalcolithic etc.
    Then its diverse
    Social physical/biological, archaeology n fossils, thinkers , language, research methods In paper 1.. Actually tht makes it interesting imo though increases length u will enjoy subject but nor short nor easy.

Few 7-8 thinkers like parsons marx Durkheim n research methods define their syllabus . Very monotonous vocab n nature only social aspect

rest all fmk social stratification etc u see in anthropology also

Social anthropology is 20% of syllabus nSocio ka syllabus hi utna h

Moreover boks like harlambos ritzer giddens sinduri mam k notes etc kaafi thik h
    Anthropology is way too scattered

Yes for few it has clicked in first attempt with just Braintree notes but otherwise kuch log 4th attempt m bhi 250+ scores nhi dekh paaye h

Just m opinion 25 year old ppl are wise enough to see where lie there good
  • Paper 2 of anthropology no doubt very small
    But p1 is almost 5 Times of p2
  • edited November 2017
    Cremator said:

@Cremator is a very experienced person and a master of anthro...people can take his words/ suggestions seriously...and according to my experience anthro is not so easy as told in market ....in case just check the profiles of all the people qualified in previous attempts and their no of attempts with anthro...of course there will be few first timers but the would be having a good guidance and ready to eat notes of Thier senior/ friends ...

Leave it bhai. No use explain honestly. Socio is only 30% syllabus of anthropology
    Not even 50%

Many new comers like m batchmate mitochp etc took it they can tell u better how small easy it is

sociology especially looking at specific nature like north east neolithic, deccan chalcolithic etc.
    Then its diverse
    Social physical/biological, archaeology n fossils, thinkers , language, research methods In paper 1.. Actually tht makes it interesting imo though increases length u will enjoy subject but nor short nor easy.

Few 7-8 thinkers like parsons marx Durkheim n research methods define their syllabus . Very monotonous vocab n nature only social aspect

Moreover boks like harlambos ritzer giddens sinduri mam k notes etc kaafi thik h

Yes for few it has clicked in first attempt with just Braintree notes but otherwise kuch log 4th attempt m bhi 250+ scores nhi dekh paaye h

your entire comparision about sociology is grossly misplaced.. u do not seem to have idea of what sociology is !! either you haven't given mains with sociology in upsc or if uv given, you have never understood it and hence jumped to anthro...

though ur content description about anthro is rightly written, but u r not aware that both anthro & socio have nearly equal syllabus.. both anthro & socio are are small and big in their unique respective positions...
  • Smart Man said:

Cremator said:

Not even 50%

Then its diverse

your entire comparision about sociology is grossly misplaced.. u do not seem to have idea of what sociology is !! either you haven't given mains with sociology in upsc or if uv given, you have never understood it and hence jumped to anthro...

though ur content description about anthro is rightly written, but u r not aware that both anthro & socio have nearly equal syllabus.. both anthro & socio are are small and big in their unique respective positions...
    I know wat sociology is quite well sir
    Its only 30% of anthropology
    If u want to dealwith specifics i can discuss with u
    Don't shoot gun. I can discuss with u philosophy psir n others also.
    Geography n history are huge rest every optional is ok in terms of size

Imo sociology is easiest optional among popular optional. .

Conflict theory stratification institution etc m marxist ka moralist stand n elite capture

Functional m stratification religion institution sab m talcot ka structural n merton ka latent n manifest n then counter by dysfunction aspects n modern change theory of geertz n gluckman

Politics m weber ka authority and dahl ka elite capture.

Religion m Durkheim k sacred, Taylor k animism

I love sociology n anthro. Its not war.
    I m just discussing fairly. Don't say wat i know or not.
    Itna arrogance se m apse baat nhi kiya sir
    Jo discuss karna h kar lo bhai

Philosophy k heideggar ka dasein n husserl ka phenomenonology, wittgenstein ka language as privats game bhi karlo. Ya psir ki hanna arendt ka concert of power n gramscii ka hegemony ya rawls ka veil kf ignorance... I took anthro coz i love it

But please don't say someone ignorant to satisfy ur ego.
    I showed off so tht u stay calm in future
  • Socio ka paper 2 anthro k paper 2 se bada h. But overall it is smaller.
    Ab mujhhe bhai jhagda nhi karna jisko jo Lena h woh samjhdar h. 1-2 month m smjh lo apko kya suit karta h
  • Cremator said:

Socio ka paper 2 anthro k paper 2 se bada h. But overall it is smaller.
    Ab mujhhe bhai jhagda nhi karna jisko jo Lena h woh samjhdar h. 1-2 month m smjh lo apko kya suit karta h

Bhai the coaching ppl just to fill their bags are spreading this propoganda that anthro is very small, no dynamic part, just by reading some notes one will be topper and they are even telling anthro has good overlapping with gs and the ignorant student community is falling prey to it. If someone from anthro tells it's otherwise then we are blamed that we are afraid of ppl shifting to anthro, so we are hiding the true facts. Only when they take the subject they would realise, so its better to be a silent spectator in these kind of threads....
    Now or Never
  • good to see the discussions here.... all thoughts and comments were fruitful !!
  • edited December 2017
    Cremator bhaukali launda hai :mrgreen: @Cremator
    @savitasahu is a fan girl of cremator
  • pheonixx said:

Bro can you put your number in qurie related which I wanthropology to talk not texting
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog