MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Take aways from psir mains paper- Help each other and contribute to original purpose of forumias.

Guys I am feeling that people who have given mains with psir are not interested in helping other people, earlier people like @bedapar used to give their opinion & advice. Now nobody is even discussing paper, leave strategy.
It is my humble request to provide your insights in terms of (below) wrt to psir and contribute to original purpose of forum.
1. Books
2. Answer writing
3. Structuring
4. What should be done & what should be avoided
5. Newspaper/experts/thinktanks
6. How to take notes

Comments

• Guys I am feeling that people who have given mains with psir are not interested in helping other people, earlier people like @bedapar used to give their opinion & advice. Now nobody is even discussing paper, leave strategy.
    It is my humble request to provide your insights in terms of (below) wrt to psir and contribute to original purpose of forum.
    1. Books
    2. Answer writing
    3. Structuring
    6. How to take notes

+1

signature
  • Guys I am feeling that people who have given mains with psir are not interested in helping other people, earlier people like @bedapar used to give their opinion & advice. Now nobody is even discussing paper, leave strategy.
    1. Books
    2. Answer writing
    3. Structuring
    6. How to take notes

+350
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • @root @DrKingSchultz Please make this thread announcement. It is more important issue and often neglected one.
    1. Books
    2. Answer writing
    3. Structuring
    6. How to take notes

Okay here I go, just based on personal experience ...

1. Paper 1A , Rajeev Bhargava Political theory, Ignou material, Ideologies by heywood - all selectively.
    Paper 1B, Laxmikanth as for gs2, BL Fadia selectively, Oxford companion for politics selectively.
    Paper 2A Global politics heywood or that Baylis & smith - choose one, do selectively.
    Paper 2B, MEA lectures, Any current affairs monthly like Vision, RSTV India's world, Newspaper articles from Hindu and IE to quote scholars, diplomats.

In all, every book/ material should be done selectively, with keeping syllabus and topics in mind while reading.

2&3. Test papers will help. Paragraphs mostly, but even points can be used if needed in IR questions.

4. Don't go after too many books, IR articles. Read limited, revise that multiple times. Whole study material (in notes form) should be like, that it can be revised in 4 days before the last month of mains and in 2 days during last couple of weeks before mains.

5. Hindu and IE - sufficient.

6. From newspaper make notes topic wise. 8 topics in India and the world section. so make 8 files. Note down imp. points from newspapers with name of scholar, diplomat, or any other expert.

Anything else, feel free to text. Don't have much to do these days.
    Regarding this year's papers. P1 I found moderate. P2 I found easy. Rest depends on paper checker!
    1. Books
    2. Answer writing
    3. Structuring
    6. How to take notes

Okay here I go, just based on personal experience ...

1. Paper 1A , Rajeev Bhargava Political theory, Ignou material, Ideologies by heywood - all selectively.
    Paper 1B, Laxmikanth as for gs2, BL Fadia selectively, Oxford companion for politics selectively.
    Paper 2A Global politics heywood or that Baylis & smith - choose one, do selectively.
    Paper 2B, MEA lectures, Any current affairs monthly like Vision, RSTV India's world, Newspaper articles from Hindu and IE to quote scholars, diplomats.

In all, every book/ material should be done selectively, with keeping syllabus and topics in mind while reading.

2&3. Test papers will help. Paragraphs mostly, but even points can be used if needed in IR questions.

4. Don't go after too many books, IR articles. Read limited, revise that multiple times. Whole study material (in notes form) should be like, that it can be revised in 4 days before the last month of mains and in 2 days during last couple of weeks before mains.

5. Hindu and IE - sufficient.

6. From newspaper make notes topic wise. 8 topics in India and the world section. so make 8 files. Note down imp. points from newspapers with name of scholar, diplomat, or any other expert.

Anything else, feel free to text. Don't have much to do these days.
    Regarding this year's papers. P1 I found moderate. P2 I found easy. Rest depends on paper checker!
    Thanks @The_Notorious for comprehensive response.
    Can you elaborate on answer writing aspect especially in paper 2 part b. For example , questions which were mostly related to current events , how one should incorporate theory, expert views and whether one could give one's opinion or we should conclude keeping experts view in prominence.

2. In B.L Fadia and Oxford companion , which selective chapters are important.

3. Do O.P needs to be read word by word or is it must if one is not doing ignou material?
  • 1. For P 2B questions you are referring, i think there is no need to make them too technical and complicated. Just cover basic dimensions like strategic, political, economics etc as per question demands. Use expert views like India - Israel question this year, relationship is out of the bag again (Raja Mohan), or It's out of the closet (Harsh Pant). Similarly in w.r.t India japan ques, you can start with like according to Kanwal Sibal, relationship is going through cherry blossom time...
    see, experts views can be used anywhere - intro, body, conclusion. it just depends how much we remember and what we remember, so that use kar sake...
    and in conclusion, conclude on positive futuristic points....can use your opinions or experts...its all good.
    These are personal views, may or may not work. This is just how I go about things.

2. BL fadia related to party system wala, caste in politics something wala, and panchayati raj wala....rest i don't remember exactly.
    Oxford m ...local governance, party system, social movements...

3. Haven't read much....Initially i read...but left, language complicated lagi!
  • 1. For P 2B questions you are referring, i think there is no need to make them too technical and complicated. Just cover basic dimensions like strategic, political, economics etc as per question demands. Use expert views like India - Israel question this year, relationship is out of the bag again (Raja Mohan), or It's out of the closet (Harsh Pant). Similarly in w.r.t India japan ques, you can start with like according to Kanwal Sibal, relationship is going through cherry blossom time...
    see, experts views can be used anywhere - intro, body, conclusion. it just depends how much we remember and what we remember, so that use kar sake...
    and in conclusion, conclude on positive futuristic points....can use your opinions or experts...its all good.
    These are personal views, may or may not work. This is just how I go about things.

2. BL fadia related to party system wala, caste in politics something wala, and panchayati raj wala....rest i don't remember exactly.
    Oxford m ...local governance, party system, social movements...

3. Haven't read much....Initially i read...but left, language complicated lagi!

Thanks bhai! Will get in touch if I need further clarifications.
    1. Books
    2. Answer writing
    3. Structuring
    6. How to take notes

Yaar, it's not like that people aren't interested, rather most of them are on their cooling off period post-exams.
    1. Apart from selective reading of regular books, I feel Shubhra Ranjan's notes have become indispensable. Append other stuff with these notes.
    4/5. Stick to the syllabus. For each point, try to explore the various dimensions and think of possible questions. Quoting relevant experts add value to your answers. Don't try to delve into deep analysis - there is very limited RoI.
    The failed perfectionist.
  • Kay2rock said:

Guys I am feeling that people who have given mains with psir are not interested in helping other people, earlier people like @bedapar used to give their opinion & advice. Now nobody is even discussing paper, leave strategy.
    1. Books
    2. Answer writing
    3. Structuring
    6. How to take notes

Yaar, it's not like that people aren't interested, rather most of them are on their cooling off period post-exams.
    1. Apart from selective reading of regular books, I feel Shubhra Ranjan's notes have become indispensable. Append other stuff with these notes.
    4/5. Stick to the syllabus. For each point, try to explore the various dimensions and think of possible questions. Quoting relevant experts add value to your answers. Don't try to delve into deep analysis - there is very limited RoI.
    Thanks @Kay2rock
    Yes, people need time. :)
    It is easier to present various dimension in point format(like in GS) but while writing in paras , is it possible to touch all dimensions esp in IR?
  • With practice, everything is possible. You just have to keep the paras short and precise.
    I haven't seen any topper advising to write in bullet points for psir. It's better to stick to the conventional wisdom.
    The failed perfectionist.
  • Kay2rock said:

With practice, everything is possible. You just have to keep the paras short and precise.
    I haven't seen any topper advising to write in bullet points for psir. It's better to stick to the conventional wisdom.

+1

• Kay2rock said:

1. Books
    2. Answer writing
    3. Structuring
    6. How to take notes

Thanks @Kay2rock
    Yes, people need time. :)
    It is easier to present various dimension in point format(like in GS) but while writing in paras , is it possible to touch all dimensions esp in IR?
    Can use sub headings for dimensions in IR. and then write in para format...sub headings seems ok to me for different parts....improves structure also!
  • How was this year's paper? What could be a decent score?
  • Rk.Ifs said:

How was this year's paper? What could be a decent score?

message isn't working??
  • I also donno y..
  • Rk.Ifs said:

How was this year's paper? What could be a decent score?

message isn't working??
    message me @ARJUN REDDY on telegram
  • anyone have subhra mam audio lectures ..need help advance thanks
  • @ bharat 2017 .... given mains this year... from my experience for political science.... read as min number of sources ..... dont read multiple sources for paper 1 op gamba is best please read it multiple times then supplement with subra madam notes ... this would be enough and solve all old question papers to get hold of what upsc demands ....
  • For paper 1 part 2 ... read laxmikanth again multiple readings .... read madam notes for different perspective on national movement party system , federalism .... caste , religion ..
    Also read Oxford green book for chapters like social movement women movement , pri , secularism , economic growth cause it's very good from exam point of view
  • For part 2 identify few current affairs issue for example this year right to privacy ... judicial overreach art 142 ... state funding of elections ..... for these things you need to read news paper articles ... especially Indian express you get very good articles collect them and extract various view points ..
    For example for state funding of elections one could have quoted qurashi and yogendra yadav ... also challenges .

• Now coming to paper 2 part 1 .... here you can completely bank on subra madam notes .... it's very good .... if you have time refer Andrew heywood.. but selected chapters .... I wouldn't recommend you to read pax indica or David malone ... but if u feel you have sufficient time you could go through it ..... for part 2 you refer madam notes but along with this you need to use Internet ... read various articles especially Indian express ... mea website ...idsa .... etc ... but keep one thing in mind be smart in reading articles and how you search.... for example while studying indo Japan ... I made notes historical and static part from madam notes and for recent developments read articles and collected view points like c raja mohan in one article says that now there is true strategic convergence between India Japan before it was missing ... he gives reason why it missing ... he quotes that Japan was a economic giant but a political pygmy ... on other hand newdelhi pursued idealism ...never was interested in Asian power politics ... India was like a big tree that gave no shade ... but things have changed rise of China , unrealibilty of USA umbrella , rise of nationalistic parties in both India and Japan , securing sloc ... has brought strategic convergence ..... then you again read an article to find challenges in strategic convergence
    .. such as indrani bagchi view or isbael Reynolds view ...... this was an example I gave how you make notes for Ir part 2
  • I hope this helps :-)
  • I hope this helps :-)

Thanks a lot bhai.
    first person to tell in detail :)
    @Machiavelli the prince
  • edited November 2017
    Sir cn u please tell what works or what not. I have got 130 in paper 2 with only general stuffs no theory and no scholars. This yr I have filled almost all answer with 2-3 scholars in paper 2.@ machiavellitheprince Sir last year I saw ur post where u told that ur marks fluctuated from. 2014 to 2015. How was the experience in 2016. And please tell whether filling with scholars and quote adds to marks or not.
  • Now coming to paper 2 part 1 .... here you can completely bank on subra madam notes .... it's very good .... if you have time refer Andrew heywood.. but selected chapters .... I wouldn't recommend you to read pax indica or David malone ... but if u feel you have sufficient time you could go through it ..... for part 2 you refer madam notes but along with this you need to use Internet ... read various articles especially Indian express ... mea website ...idsa .... etc ... but keep one thing in mind be smart in reading articles and how you search.... for example while studying indo Japan ... I made notes historical and static part from madam notes and for recent developments read articles and collected view points like c raja mohan in one article says that now there is true strategic convergence between India Japan before it was missing ... he gives reason why it missing ... he quotes that Japan was a economic giant but a political pygmy ... on other hand newdelhi pursued idealism ...never was interested in Asian power politics ... India was like a big tree that gave no shade ... but things have changed rise of China , unrealibilty of USA umbrella , rise of nationalistic parties in both India and Japan , securing sloc ... has brought strategic convergence ..... then you again read an article to find challenges in strategic convergence
    .. such as indrani bagchi view or isbael Reynolds view ...... this was an example I gave how you make notes for Ir part 2

Sir Yeh bta do please.
  • @ pushkar ... for paper 2 definitely one needs to quote scholars and experts view .... last time I had got 154 in paper 1 paper 2 mere 131 ... I guess it was because last time I wrote plain answers without any scholars view and also selecting wrong questions such as Imf .. brexit which I had not prepared well .... I guess scholars view helps ... a friend last time I met in interview got whooping 168 in paper2 ... he told me he had used various quotes and experts view ... so based on this I think you will score well bro ... any way hope for the best
  • Thanks a lot, all the best to you also.
  • @Machiavelli the prince sir can you list various scholars for both paper 1 and 2
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog