ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details

The Hindu | Has the quality of editorials gone down ?

edited November 2013 in Current Affairs
is it just me or does everybody feel that the quality of editorials in particular and of certain other areas of coverage (like social sector and policy, science-tech news) is down since the new editor took charge?

PS - i have no personal interest whatsoever in their quarrel

Comments

• well,i would suggest u to keep on studying the hindu editorials and along with that read on a few other editorials ,(but only editorials not other pages) from other newspapers like toi,eco times,ht or asian age..whatever is suitable to u..people say that it will be overkill but i think it is upto an individual as to what extent he/she wants to gain knowledge,opinions and insights and utilise them in the examination process whether in prelims,mains or personality test.all the best. :)>-
  • I want to ask you guys whether it is sufficient to read the editorials, Economy Section, International Page of The Hindu. It's taking a lot of time, as I am not able to study other subjects. It creates anxiety as I fear whether I would be able to complete the syllabus or not.
  • edited November 2013
    @Sandeep12,

It is fine. Read few and selected and read them well. If something is overwhelming, you cut it out. You do not have to read all the topics and more importantly, feeling overwhelming is horrible for learning.
    A man is never too weak or too wounded to fight if the cause is greater than his own life.
    We do not choose love. It claims each man as it will.
    -Spartacus
  • if u are studying for next year prelims,then first try to complete the static sources from standard books as u can see on the right handside all the books are classified under the heading "mission ias prelims 2014"..regarding your query nothing is sufficient and nothing is well defined as questions are framed from diverse sources and it is ideal to follow such.but always keep the syllabus by your side and try to concentrate on those topics that are given in the syllabus and complete them and look it up in the newspaper also..revision of the standard books+writing practice alongside daily will go a long way in ensuring success.just dont have the attitude that will these be sufficient or that??just be sure that u know all the topics under the syllabus and u are pretty much comfortable answering questions in mains or prelims.these exam is also about time management and retentive abilities so take care of these facts and prepare judiciously.just be confident.thats it. :)>-
  • is it just me or does everybody feel that the quality of editorials in particular and of certain other areas of coverage (like social sector and policy, science-tech news) is down since the new editor took charge?

PS - i have no personal interest whatsoever in their quarrel
    Yes, I too feel the same. Just don't want to change newspaper in the verge of mains. Turning more political, especially allotting so much energy against Modi and a handful of issues are discussed again and again all the time like keep talking to Pakistan, scrap death penalty etc. Above all gives a feel that none of the schemes of govt are useful and the institutions administering the country are stocked only with fools including the jobs where we aspirants are trying hard to land on :P
    Ifos 2013- Interview || CSM 2013- Geography
  • Totally agreed..the quality has gone down....language has become straightforward, some dimensions of the issue are ignored. Some of the lines were worth remembering - for eg. when sc gave the order to ec to frame guidelines for manifestos(context - freebies) the first line read criticising the verdict "Ensuring a level playing field is different from redrawing the rules of the game"

Since editorials I believe are written by eminent academics, experts I think the set of editorial writers might have been changed with the change of editor in chief of the newspaper.

If true it would be a big loss for us!
    CSM 2015 - Economics
  • Varadarajan resigned. Its N Ravi now.(?) Family back to the forefront.
    Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog