ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details

Psychology Mains 2017 Discussion

Please share your views on Psychology paper.

Comments

• Could u upload paper 2?
    PS-looks like very few psychology candidates this year as well
  • Pprs psychology.
    pdf
    pdf
    psychology 2017 papers .pdf
    2M
  • hey guys, does any of you know the thread where someone had posted all the previous year questions TOPICWISE? i am not able to find it. if any of you know the thread or have the questions with you then could you please help this poor soul out?
    Do not go gentle into that good night
  • Who are IN and OUT with Psychology 2017 ?
  • IN with Psycho. Hoping to get into final pdf this time :neutral:
  • gear5 said:

IN with Psycho. Hoping to get into final pdf this time :neutral:

congrats...which attempt btw?
  • Out. Expected tha.
  • vijay_24 said:

gear5 said:

Thanks.

It was my 4th attempt, 3rd mains and will be my 2nd interview.
  • gear5 said:

vijay_24 said:

gear5 said:

Thanks.

good....best of luck fr interview
  • gear5 said:

Psycology walo ko yaha kuch secret tips dijiye sir :p (both GS n psychology)

P.s-2019 will be my first attempt
  • Very few candidates from Psychology or success rate is low ?
  • edited January 12
    I cleared too. with psychology. first attempt. joined beautifulminf ias testseries after prelims.
  • omnicrave said:

I cleared too. with psychology. first attempt. joined beautifulminf ias testseries after prelims.

How is it? Pros/Cons? Strategy for Paper 1 and 2? Please show the path! :smile:
  • Platoon said:

omnicrave said:

+1
  • Platoon said:

omnicrave said:

Yes. Would be helpful.
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.
  • Platoon said:

omnicrave said:

Yes. Would be helpful.
    Bhai. I am in no position to give any strategy as this was my first attempt. I am an engineering graduate but opted for psychology solely because of my interest.
    I don't know about pros and cons. But i guess its the same as every other optional. paper 1 is introduction to psychology-- concepts, theories of various psychological concepts. you'll have to prepare this in detail with focus on understanding. Resources will include- Class 11th and Class 12th NCERTs. the ncerts are indispensable and cover most of syllabus in an INTRODUCTORY Manner. you'll have to expand on that. supplement this with any psychology book- either baron or morgan and king. cover topics out from these - make notes if you can.
    for topic 2 and 3 of paper 1 that deal with the research methodology- you'll have to do your research and make your own notes- because these are not given in detail in these books. you can refer Pathak notes. I don't know if it covers it well because i did not do Pathak notes. in this focus on the research methodology- design of experiments and studies and various tools that are used to do this. correlation, variance etc.
    try to focus on how the research method is use. for eg there was this question this time where a statement was given-- " the number of students in a school highly correlated with violence. explain" -- you could have answered this only if you knew what correlation means and how it is used in research studies.

for paper 2- its just your application of knowledge of concepts gathered in paper 1 though you have to prepare the topics still. you can refer smarak swain. or make some notes of your own through googling.

i would advise only one thing- be original in your answer meaning don't just learn whatever is written in the book. try to actively think how you can use the concepts of psychology in your life. for eg- while i was reading memory portion in thought if i could really use some of the mentioned principles to improve memory. similarly with emotions, motivation etc

rest you can refer to mithali sethi mam's post here- http://www.insightsonindia.com/2017/07/07/psychology-strategy-civil-services-strategy-booklist-resources-notes-mittali-sethi-air-56-302-marks/

• omnicrave said:

Platoon said:

omnicrave said:

Yes. Would be helpful.
    Bhai. I am in no position to give any strategy as this was my first attempt. I am an engineering graduate but opted for psychology solely because of my interest.
    I don't know about pros and cons. But i guess its the same as every other optional. paper 1 is introduction to psychology-- concepts, theories of various psychological concepts. you'll have to prepare this in detail with focus on understanding. Resources will include- Class 11th and Class 12th NCERTs. the ncerts are indispensable and cover most of syllabus in an INTRODUCTORY Manner. you'll have to expand on that. supplement this with any psychology book- either baron or morgan and king. cover topics out from these - make notes if you can.
    for topic 2 and 3 of paper 1 that deal with the research methodology- you'll have to do your research and make your own notes- because these are not given in detail in these books. you can refer Pathak notes. I don't know if it covers it well because i did not do Pathak notes. in this focus on the research methodology- design of experiments and studies and various tools that are used to do this. correlation, variance etc.
    try to focus on how the research method is use. for eg there was this question this time where a statement was given-- " the number of students in a school highly correlated with violence. explain" -- you could have answered this only if you knew what correlation means and how it is used in research studies.

for paper 2- its just your application of knowledge of concepts gathered in paper 1 though you have to prepare the topics still. you can refer smarak swain. or make some notes of your own through googling.

i would advise only one thing- be original in your answer meaning don't just learn whatever is written in the book. try to actively think how you can use the concepts of psychology in your life. for eg- while i was reading memory portion in thought if i could really use some of the mentioned principles to improve memory. similarly with emotions, motivation etc

rest you can refer to mithali sethi mam's post here- http://www.insightsonindia.com/2017/07/07/psychology-strategy-civil-services-strategy-booklist-resources-notes-mittali-sethi-air-56-302-marks/

thanx a lot :)
  • edited January 13
    omnicrave said:

Platoon said:

omnicrave said:

Yes. Would be helpful.

Thank you. And best of luck!
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.
  • omnicrave said:

Congrats & all the best for ur interview!please review beautiful mind test series in terms of quality,checking,feedback etc.
  • beautifulmind ias test series- the tests questions were good, though he does not follow the pattern of Upsc question paper like they follow in vajiram tests. - meaning that there will be 10-12 questions and you'll have to answer them all. in terms of checking- it was usually on time (about 7 days). but for one or two tests it got extended by 1-2 days. after the test is over model answer of difficult/good questions are put up by him.
    Feedback- this is very crucial. he evaluates and mentions the feedback on the test copy itself. and you can talk to him in person also( as there are only 30-35 students, the one to one interaction can be of good help, which I think one does not get in elsewhere). the feedback I got on some tests was helpful. I used to write long answers he told me to cut it down, to write to the point.
    Apart from that -- it is important that you look at your answer sheet yourself and try and see in what questions did you get good marks and in what you did not. this I think will be most helpful. I realized that in my tests- the questions where I wrote good length answers(textbook answers) I did not get good marks whereas in questions where I wrote to the point, self made answers (original) I got good marks. and this I then tried to repeat in upsc.

One thing that I had problem with was his communication. at times I just couldnot stand it. may be it was just me.
  • omnicrave said:

beautifulmind ias test series- the tests questions were good, though he does not follow the pattern of Upsc question paper like they follow in vajiram tests. - meaning that there will be 10-12 questions and you'll have to answer them all. in terms of checking- it was usually on time (about 7 days). but for one or two tests it got extended by 1-2 days. after the test is over model answer of difficult/good questions are put up by him.
    Feedback- this is very crucial. he evaluates and mentions the feedback on the test copy itself. and you can talk to him in person also( as there are only 30-35 students, the one to one interaction can be of good help, which I think one does not get in elsewhere). the feedback I got on some tests was helpful. I used to write long answers he told me to cut it down, to write to the point.
    Apart from that -- it is important that you look at your answer sheet yourself and try and see in what questions did you get good marks and in what you did not. this I think will be most helpful. I realized that in my tests- the questions where I wrote good length answers(textbook answers) I did not get good marks whereas in questions where I wrote to the point, self made answers (original) I got good marks. and this I then tried to repeat in upsc.

One thing that I had problem with was his communication. at times I just couldnot stand it. may be it was just me.

Agreed!
  • omnicrave said:

beautifulmind ias test series- the tests questions were good, though he does not follow the pattern of Upsc question paper like they follow in vajiram tests. - meaning that there will be 10-12 questions and you'll have to answer them all. in terms of checking- it was usually on time (about 7 days). but for one or two tests it got extended by 1-2 days. after the test is over model answer of difficult/good questions are put up by him.

appreciate the detailed review!all the very best for ur interview,may the odds be in ur favour :)
  • gear5 said:

vijay_24 said:

gear5 said:

Thanks.

Do we have any discussion group or something for those who have cleared?
  • omnicrave said:

appreciate the detailed review!all the very best for ur interview,may the odds be in ur favour :)
    Psychology potional ki koi Telegram par group hai kya?
  • The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.
  • edited January 16
    omnicrave said:

Thanks for everything man! And, if you get any free time to put your thoughts into it, how would you recommend starting for Psychology? Attempt - most probaby - 2019.
  • Anyone in the final list from Psychology?
    Wrote CS (Main) Exam, 2016
    Score – 760

Sweet is never as sweet without the sour.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog