CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY: Seminar on - 27th Sep. - 5pm & 9th Oct. – 11 am
Foundation Classes: 28th Sep. and 29th Sep.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
,Website:- www.mitrasias.com

Policy Paralysis... some first-hand reflections

Last year I had come and spoke at the ForumIAS meet. This year wanted to come again and share further thoughts and reflections. However, was unable to do so. So now I am penning them down for you to read and know what you are signing up for so that you can make an informed decision...

Here is the first article in the series on policy paralysis: जीवन - एक दही and it deals with role of potential future unlimited liability in hindering decision-making... Do lemme know your thoughts - all thoughts welcome :-)

https://thesupermanreturns.wordpress.com/2017/10/07/jad-vol1/
UPSC 2013 All India Rank 1 | Indian Administrative Service | Earlier : Indian Police Service

Comments

• For people not knowing Hindi....?
    Bande hain hum uske, Humpe kiska zor
    Ummeedon ke sooraj, Nikle chaaron ore
    Iraadein hain fauladi, Himmati har kadam
    Apne haathon kismat likhne, Aaj chale hain hum...{AW>>STS=SES=A4}

3rd Mains*
  • great write up sir..
    “Strength is the only religion"
  • Bahut badhiya article likha hai sir apne, zamini hakikat ko isse behtar koi bayan nahi kar sakta. Apke aur articles Ki prateeksha rahegi..... Dhanyawad
  • So original,so terse
    Sociology Optional
  • You seem to be so trapped. Is it so bad :/
  • So finally our superman returns with a bang. nice article bhai. best wishes to our नादान बालक।
    नियति नेता चुनती है और नेता नीति चुनता है। जब तक बालक नेता (और नियति, i.e. जनता) के अनुसार कार्य करे तब तक सब कुछ ठीक ही होगा। यहाँ सही या गलत कुछ नही होता, अगर कुछ होता है तो सिर्फ उचित या अनुचित। बालक फिर भी अपना पिछवाड़ा बचाने के बजाय लड़ना चाहता है, तो उसे मजबूत बनना होगा, जो समय के साथ system उसे बना ही देगा। (और यहां पर बात बिगड़ती भी है क्योंकि वह वहाँ अकेला लड़ने वाला नही होगा और सभी का अपना एक अलग नजरिया व हित होता है।) फिर भी आशा तो करी ही जा सकती है। आशा व सब्र करना तो हमे cse ने करना सिखाया ही दिया है। :grin:
    जय जय जय शनि देव .........
  • jill said:

You seem to be so trapped. Is it so bad :/

I don't think it's bad, but definitely difficult.
    Had it been easy, it would have been improved upon long back.

Also as is said in The Kite Runner, "A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer."
    Sociology Optional
  • edited October 2017
    @crazyphoton This is shocking and eye opening. So many loopholes mentioned so succinctly. I cant imagine what all you might have seen and been through till now, to have decided about becoming vocal about it. I saw your post on FB about the RTI application as well. That too was astonishing.
    It seems that one thinks, one might become powerful after qualifying this exam and sitting on the desired post, and take decisions having welfare of people in mind. But maybe those having no post are much powerful, as all accountability seems to be solely on the heads of the government officials(bureaucrats). They alone are called to be answerable while others(wrong doers) are given the possibly undeserving title of 'aam aadmi'. The so called 'Iron Frame' of the country is taking a beating from all sides. Time will tell what is the consequence of all this. Hoping against hope, that things will improve.
    Despite all this I would say that it does not deter me from the aim of joining this service. For now atleast, who knows what the future holds. Also, we dont know what problems we might face or have faced in other arenas. Ofcourse the extent of trouble and responsibilities is probably incomparable, but again, the higher we aim, the more obstacles we encounter.
    Thank you for helping us understand the job better and giving us a peek into what lies ahead, or rather warning us.
    Ofcourse, waiting eagerly for the other articles of this series.
    Best wishes to you though. May by some stroke of benevolence of the divine(if any), things take a better turn.
    :smile:
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • edited October 2017

Last year I had come and spoke at the ForumIAS meet. This year wanted to come again and share further thoughts and reflections. However, was unable to do so. So now I am penning them down for you to read and know what you are signing up for so that you can make an informed decision...

Here is the first article in the series on policy paralysis: जीवन - एक दही and it deals with role of potential future unlimited liability in hindering decision-making... Do lemme know your thoughts - all thoughts welcome :-)

https://thesupermanreturns.wordpress.com/2017/10/07/jad-vol1/

Ths s the reality people shud b prepared to tackle b4 sitting 4 xams smthing on lines of job profile in pvt sector.khwaab versus hakikat.
  • Its great @crazyphoton how you still contribute to forumias family ispitr of your busy schedule
    Most guys agter getting slecting (let alone be a top ranker ) never come back to the forum
    We are greatly thankful to you
    once again HUSTLE
  • For people not knowing Hindi....?

use google translate..
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • good write up, gives a sincere , impartial insight into the bureaucratic setup. The halcyon days of mid 1990's and early 2000's are over and ever since the Anna revolution, 2G, CWG, etc this inertia in decisionmaking has only come back to haunt the Bureaucracy, much worse even the banking sector has got infected with the same disease. Bleak times , but a man gotta do what he gotta do.
    “To be, or not to be: that is the question: Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles…”
    signature
  • edited October 2017
    signature
  • edited October 2017
    @crazyphoton This write-up is worth appreciation, for being in itself, as well in its intent, a way forward towards addressing a governance menace that it outlines.

-The noble Balak surrounded by rows and rows of dominos (of decision-making) on all sides, must be secured from the absurd domino effects.

-The current situation has arisen, in my view, among other reasons, because of good intentions/meanings of such rules and regulations, and at the same time, not being able to take into account the feedback from the conscience of the society.

-The premise of this 'absurd stringency and inflexibility' being allowed to creep in the governance structures, in order to adapt to changing challenge-goalposts is rather flawed. Overly-stringent(comes with a certain degree of absurdity) law enforcement must not be allowed to become a substitute for decline in ethics and morality.

-Rest, Hope soon emerges in this regard..."an idea whose time has come."
    An anonymous personified..............
  • edited October 2017
    Really people are so naive that they are appalled and shocked to read it? How many of you have gone to municipal corporation for getting any birth/death certificate? Or to police station to file FIR? Or to some court to fight any case? Or to RTO office for your work without paying bribe tp dalals? Or to your own govt college to get your transcripts? And you have not been shown such realistic things by babus and officers and even group D karamcharis?

GA has spent most of his life in finest institutes of the nation and then in foreign country as an investment banker where life had been extremely easy peasy. Present job role has now shown him harsh reality of sarkari tantra and babuism and thus this article. It is very easy to dream things when you see training pics, white ambassador, bandgala suit with PM prez but to run such diverse country or places where dialects and customs change after every few kms, isn’t.
    Unfortunately people are motivated cos of extrinsic ‘raula’ of these services. Why being an ips or irs or iaas or in railways people keep giving cse exam to become ias? They say desh sewa! Lol, can an Ips not do desh sewa? ans is simple they just want power, god like treatment and cream posting to earn name fame money(majority of them, very few are genuine).
    Minds of people have been largely influenced by narcissistic people who portray themselves as a celebrity on virtual media, become a quora superstar and Guru of life processes but in reality they know not much instead of ‘everyone knows everything’ . Few hundreds likes, upvotes and comments is what they mainly look for and one day they crash down like this.

PA- I have utmost respect for GA but it pains me when iitian, iim grad, investment banker, former ips and ias with AIR1 -one of the coolest and finest brain is on the edge of giving up.
    Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
  • Burger said:

Really people are so naive that they are appalled and shocked to read it? How many of you have gone to municipal corporation for getting any birth/death certificate? Or to police station to file FIR? Or to some court to fight any case? Or to RTO office for your work without paying bribe tp dalals? Or to your own govt college to get your transcripts? And you have not been shown such realistic things by babus and officers and even group D karamcharis?

GA has spent most of his life in finest institutes of the nation and then in foreign country as an investment banker where life had been extremely easy peasy. Present job role has now shown him harsh reality of sarkari tantra and babuism and thus this article. It is very easy to dream things when you see training pics, white ambassador, bandgala suit with PM prez but to run such diverse country or places where dialects and customs change after every few kms, isn’t.
    Unfortunately people are motivated cos of extrinsic ‘raula’ of these services. Why being an ips or irs or iaas or in railways people keep giving cse exam to become ias? They say desh sewa! Lol, can an Ips not do desh sewa? ans is simple they just want power, god like treatment and cream posting to earn name fame money(majority of them, very few are genuine).
    Minds of people have been largely influenced by narcissistic people who portray themselves as a celebrity on virtual media, become a quora superstar and Guru of life processes but in reality they know not much instead of ‘everyone knows everything’ . Few hundreds likes, upvotes and comments is what they mainly look for and one day they crash down like this.

PA- I have utmost respect for GA but it pains me when iitian, iim grad, investment banker, former ips and ias with AIR1 -one of the coolest and finest brain is on the edge of giving up.

Did he say that he's going to give up?

And give up what?
  • Burger said:

i agree with most of your points
  • TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?
    Oh Wolf! Don’t devour me for my conclusion. Let me explain.
    Whole article is filled with pessimism and fear of bureaucratic inertia, court proceedings and how one even if wants to change something ‘can’t’ because of multitudes of factors that he mentioned. Isn’t this like giving up on ‘changing the situations’ and let go things as if they are.If no, suggest me a suitable word.
    Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
  • Burger said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?
    Whole article is filled with pessimism and fear of bureaucratic inertia, court proceedings and how one even if wants to change something ‘can’t’ because of multitudes of factors that he mentioned. Isn’t this like giving up on ‘changing the situations’ and let go things as if they are.If no, suggest me a suitable word.
    He'll find a way. He's a man with 6 'I's.
  • TheWolf said:

Burger said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?
    7. I had forgotten the Investment I.
  • TheWolf said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?
    Well, he must. He is highly capable person. Thousands look at him for inspiration. This article is an eye opener for those who gets motivated only by virtual world raule of civil servants and think getting a rank is passport to live life as per mai baap culture.
  • Burger said:

TheWolf said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?
    Well, he must. He is highly capable person. Thousands look at him for inspiration. This article is an eye opener for those who gets motivated only by virtual world raule of civil servants and think getting a rank is passport to live life as per mai baap culture.
    They should have Foreign Service as 1st preference.
  • Burger said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?
    Why would you not look at it as a work of literature rather than an insights rewiring censuring the person concerned.

@crazyphoton, I told you this was not a good idea.

If compatriots feel this way, expect a more ahem {fill adjective} comment when scoopwhoop or buZfeed makes a video out of this.
    P.S. @burger a new version of the matrix has been loaded. Can you tell me if tagging shoots and email now ?
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Neyawn said:

Burger said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?
    Why would you not look at it as a work of literature rather than an insights rewiring censuring the person concerned.

If compatriots feel this way, expect a more ahem {fill adjective} comment when scoopwhoop or buZfeed makes a video out of this.
    P.S. @burger a new version of the matrix has been loaded. Can you tell me if tagging shoots and email now ?
    :smile:
  • edited October 2017
    Neyawn said:

Burger said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?

I am sorry Neyawn sir I felt this way. GA sir is still talk of the town among aspirants, that shows his earned glory and admiration in hearts of aspirants including mine. He is a brilliant writer no one has doubt about it. I am waiting for next piece. But this pessimism has disappointed me a bit, that’s all. Sad thing is he said on his fb to do IIM but not IAS :(

Yes I am getting tag notif and email. But in mobile version I can see G+ icon, is it some new feature?
  • One of the first things we learn in interpreting literature is the need to separate the protagonist from the author.
    The balak is not necessarily GA. :)

And I would've believed such an interpretation had GA not started commenting on his own FB page that "do IIM but please don't do IAS".
    Deputy Collector and Sub-Divisional Magistrate - Government of Gujarat.
    Prelims - 5; Mains - 3*; Interview - 1; Rank - NA.
  • This may be reason that some people leave at the training period itself.
  • edited October 2017
    Neyawn said:

Burger said:

TheWolf said:

Burger said:

And give up what?

I dont think you should base this being a good idea or not on one person's comment. Almost everyone has appreciated it. And critics will always be there. So its alright.
    Also, @Burger since you seem to have directly quoted my words, I will respond. Yes, I am very well aware of the rot in the society but the extent of it as @crazyphoton mentioned is eye opening for me atleast from the perspective of an Ias, which as I said he has written very well. I did not know or probably even think on this topic before that one bureaucrat had to handle so many things simultaneously.
    Also, my words were mostly intended as appreciation for writing it as many times people who speak out are left alone to fight the system or even criticized as u did just now. Let such things being known to common people who bait for suspension of government employees at the smallest of issues without realising that there are honest people working hard, and sometimes some errors happen due to the immense workload and not lack of sincerity.
    Also, I dont think he is about to give up (I hope not too), as he said in the description, he is giving us an insight so as to make an informed decision, and not have any misconceptions about this job being a bed of roses.
    As for state of institutions, I know how it feels when a doctor doesnt give a death certificate for a person he declared dead, and infact refuses to say even that he saw the body. And the relatives have to run from pillar to post to just get that. But I have had good experiences too.
    So I know the situation and nothing deters me from this aim, and infact makes my resolve stronger. So please dont call people naive for usage of a few words.
    I know your natural reaction is being critical :yum: but hold it a little sometimes. I trust Gaurav Agrawal and believe and hope that he will continue to serve despite everything. :blush:
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • edited October 2017
    Maybe I should take back my words about him not thinking of giving up. :neutral:
    Its very sad :neutral:
    @crazyphoton You were my inspiration. :cry:
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • edited October 2017
    power flows throughout the society like blood in capillaries.

These capillaries are actually the firmly established bureaucratic/capitalistic/political/religous structures..
    bureaucratic- govt(sarkari) jobs in broader perspective represented by Ias at the apex in Indian context
    capitalistic/political/religous structures do not deserve any explanation- these exist at both macro & micro levels..

Micro-level is not so micro.. They hold such immense powers that can stall traffic, administration, economic and even social life like ram rahim case..
    It throws an ablest administrator into policy paralysis.. and this is what an entrant ias/ips/sdm/dsp/tehsildaar/naib tehsildaar deals with most of the times..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog