HC lifts ban on TikTok, but with a caveat IEPF Authority in a major success recovers Rs 1514 Cr of Depositors Money Madras High Court bats for extending legal abortion period upto 24 weeks China to hold 2nd BRF meet on Thursday;India to give it a miss Arab League pledges $100m to Palestinian Authority in summit
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

[Updated Info] Supreme Court Writ Petition for ambiguous questions in CSP 2017 [Need your Support]

Comments

• Thank you very much, for all those who contributed yesterday, its only because of your support we could file this.
    We are still short of 10,000 to add 20 more petitioners who have sent their affidavits to us. Kindly request you to contribute, the details are in the1st comment of this thread.

WE NEED 1000 PETITIONERS who want to bring in more transparency and accountability.
    Be a part of Supreme court writ petition to seek justice for ambiguous questions in CSP 2017.

What is the expected outcome?
    Minimum outcome - You will never see such ambiguous questions in the exam again, which means your future attempts will be safe.
    Maximum outcome - You may get to write Mains this year.
    Peripheral outcome - Answer key and cutoff will be released every year before mains.

How will your participation help this cause?
    Every petitioner is important. As the number of petitioners keep increasing, the issue will be perceived with a lot of seriousness by all the authorities concerned. We need you to be a part of the movement to bring in more transparency and accountability.

FAQ,
    1. Do i need to come for any hearing?
    No. At no stage you will be required to travel anywhere.

2. What is the fee to become petitioner?
    Rs. 500 per petitioner is the fee mentioned on the website of Supreme court for Writ petition(Civil)

3. Do i need to contribute more money?
    No, Only rs.500 towards court fees and no other contribution required. The lawyer fees is being managed by crowd funding.

4. What documents do i need to submit and how do i need to pay the fees?
    All the details will be mailed to you.

Fill the form below,
    https://goo.gl/forms/BKuGsbGee2ApHqiu2
    photo_2017-09-14_10-45-53.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 166K
    Saw the passion in my vulnerabilities? Now see the strength in my resolution.
  • @Einstein10 best of luck man. I know it requires a lot of hard work.
  • As per the stated expected outcomes, only persons having attempt and age limit will be benefited (provided SC does not allow recalculation of marks & modify the qualified candidates list). For the persons who had their last attempt this year (who are the most affected IMO), no big gain is foreseen in the form of compensatory attempt etc. as per the intended scope of this petition. Moreover, even if SC grants relief for writing mains this year, is it feasible for the aspirants to prepare in short span of time? Persons having age and attempts, will anyway write exam next year. So, is there in provision of compensatory attempt in the petition that is being filed? @Einstein10
  • polarbear said:

As per the stated expected outcomes, only persons having attempt and age limit will be benefited (provided SC does not allow recalculation of marks & modify the qualified candidates list). For the persons who had their last attempt this year (who are the most affected IMO), no big gain is foreseen in the form of compensatory attempt etc. as per the intended scope of this petition. Moreover, even if SC grants relief for writing mains this year, is it feasible for the aspirants to prepare in short span of time? Persons having age and attempts, will anyway write exam next year. So, is there in provision of compensatory attempt in the petition that is being filed? @Einstein10

Hi,
    As explained earlier. Asking compensatory attempt for a wrong question has legal difficulty as per the lawyer. Hence that is not mentioned in petition.

However if you study the petition, a clause mentions about allowing everyone for prelims.next year, i.e compensatory attempt.

Also the difficulty faced by aspirants will be conveyed orally to the court. And the time lost due to litigation etc will also be conveyed.

But the main issue is about proving the questions wrong. Once questions are proved wrong, any type of relief can be asked by anyone. So.main intention is to prove questions as wrong which is quite evident.

Also, the biggest gain that any petitioner will have is that he "will ensure" that all his future attempts are safe and ambiguous questions like this will not repeat in future.
    Also, a petitioner will also ensure the answer key is released and objections are invited in future.

Hence, we need petitioner. It's not just about passing the exam, it's about making the process transparent for future.

Although this is happening through writ petition for wrong questions, this petition will have a large impact on common good for everyone who takes this exam in future.

So I request everyone to be petitioner if you have appeared in csp 2017
  • Edit: hence that is not mentioned in the "prayer" of petition.
  • I request everyone to study the petition in detail. It has most of the points covered.
  • Ok. Thanks @Einstein10 for explaining in detail. I wish many more petitioners join for ending opaqueness of UPSC & ambiguity of questions.
  • WE NEED 1000 PETITIONERS who want to bring in more transparency and accountability.
    Be a part of Supreme court writ petition to seek justice for ambiguous questions in CSP 2017.

What is the expected outcome?
    Minimum outcome - You will never see such ambiguous questions in the exam again, which means your future attempts will be safe.
    Maximum outcome - You may get to write Mains this year.
    Peripheral outcome - Answer key and cutoff will be released every year before mains.

How will your participation help this cause?
    Every petitioner is important. As the number of petitioners keep increasing, the issue will be perceived with a lot of seriousness by all the authorities concerned. We need you to be a part of the movement to bring in more transparency and accountability.

FAQ,
    1. Do i need to come for any hearing?
    No. At no stage you will be required to travel anywhere.

2. What is the fee to become petitioner?
    Rs. 500 per petitioner is the fee mentioned on the website of Supreme court for Writ petition(Civil)

3. Do i need to contribute more money?
    No, Only rs.500 towards court fees and no other contribution required. The lawyer fees is being managed by crowd funding.

4. What documents do i need to submit and how do i need to pay the fees?
    All the details will be mailed to you.

Fill the form below,
    https://goo.gl/forms/BKuGsbGee2ApHqiu2

Addendum:
    If you have exhausted your attempts and feel that you have less time for mains(in case people are allowed and in case SC rules that questions were wrong).
    Based on that SC ruling, you can immediately file a petition or application in SC or any High court or any bench of CAT seeking compensatory attempt or any other relief. You can even send an appeal to the govt, based on the judgment asking for any type of relief.

Core issue is to prove questions are wrong, rest of things will fall in place automatically.
  • @Einstein10 Sir, you're a very proactive person.

My best wishes for all your endeavours in life.
  • Thewolf, baba, zen and others for the kind words. Your support means a lot.
    I am just one person among the hundreds of others who have worked wholeheartedly for this issue. Its a collective effort and i will pass on your kind wishes to everyone from our team. Thank you very much.
  • @Einstein10 weldone bro ..at least ur approach is right..rest God knows
  • @Einstein10

I know you would have discussed with the lawyer on what I'm going to say now but still I'm registering it here for the sake of discussion.

The prayer of "evaluation and subsequent change of results" will hold very little water not because of legality but because you are fighting against a giant called "UPSC". I'm not trying to spread negativity because I was also affected. Unlike other state PSCs, UPSC has a bad habit of saying the following things:

1. no time now.

2. even if there are any issues this is a progressive process and we will improve in subsequent years.

3. Our process is so sacred that delaying things and changing things is impossible. We will give you the reason in a sealed envelope (which we can't even know). And generally there is no one to appeal against that sealed envelope.

4. Our question paper setting process followed xxx methodology and these aspirants are appealing because they failed in the exam

5. Mains exam is just around in a month and nothing can be done now (the reason will be hard to comprehend)

This is why I feel asking for relief for this year will actually derail the movement to seek justice because based on the demand UPSC's reaction itself changes. They become really defensive whenever a threat to the ongoing process comes up. That's the reason I feel the demand can be for a compensatory attempt. And if they are forced to agree for the compensatory attempt, they have to face a deluge of candidates next year and this slap can really force them to mend their ways in the future.

While the entire initiative is highly appreciated, the most practical thing will be to demand for a compensatory attempt (this is my humble opinion). Historically, when things don't get practical (revaluation and changing result is 100% impractical at least for UPSC) they quote trivial issues to escape the clutches of law.
  • vignesh said:

@Einstein10

I know you would have discussed with the lawyer on what I'm going to say now but still I'm registering it here for the sake of discussion.

The prayer of "evaluation and subsequent change of results" will hold very little water not because of legality but because you are fighting against a giant called "UPSC". I'm not trying to spread negativity because I was also affected. Unlike other state PSCs, UPSC has a bad habit of saying the following things:

1. no time now.

2. even if there are any issues this is a progressive process and we will improve in subsequent years.

3. Our process is so sacred that delaying things and changing things is impossible. We will give you the reason in a sealed envelope (which we can't even know). And generally there is no one to appeal against that sealed envelope.

4. Our question paper setting process followed xxx methodology and these aspirants are appealing because they failed in the exam

5. Mains exam is just around in a month and nothing can be done now (the reason will be hard to comprehend)

This is why I feel asking for relief for this year will actually derail the movement to seek justice because based on the demand UPSC's reaction itself changes. They become really defensive whenever a threat to the ongoing process comes up. That's the reason I feel the demand can be for a compensatory attempt. And if they are forced to agree for the compensatory attempt, they have to face a deluge of candidates next year and this slap can really force them to mend their ways in the future.

While the entire initiative is highly appreciated, the most practical thing will be to demand for a compensatory attempt (this is my humble opinion). Historically, when things don't get practical (revaluation and changing result is 100% impractical at least for UPSC) they quote trivial issues to escape the clutches of law.

It's a myth that not can be done. In similar situations in "numerous" state civil services exams, the court has even ordered to conduct special mains for unselected candidates who after the revision of answer key fall above the cutoff.

Anyways relief is a secondary matter.

First and foremost thing is to establish the evident fact that questions had "multiple" answers. Once that is proved in the court of law, the range of possibilities are endless.

Arguments like nothing can be done now, or we have verified everything and all such things will be objected vehemently. Why?
    Because, the first and foremost thing to consider in a litigation whether "injustice" has been done or not?
    For that, we have given certain evidences, so first we will ask the hon'ble court to look into evidences and decide whether the respondent is guilty or not.

Once, the facts are established are based on evidences, the feasibility of relief comes into picture.

Reassuring that, all arguments which are pre judicial in nature which intend to stop the investigation into evidences will be objected and opposed without any doubt.

Once questions are proved wrong in the court of law, let me assure you that every candidate who has failed due to such questions will knock the door of apex court for justice. So it really doesnt matter what relief is given in this case. Let the questions be proved faulty, rest will fall in place automatically.
  • adding to the above comment,

The arguments like little time or nothing can be done now will hold less water because if the guilt is established.

Justice cannot be delivered as per the convenience of the guilty. Justice has to be delivered as per the inconvenience that the aggrieved candidates have faced because of the alleged acts of the respondent.
  • @vignesh quoting one example of the many judgments available.

In Pankaj vs State of Jammu and Kashmir & Ors (2008) 4 SCC 273
    the hon’ble Supreme court held:
    “8. The learned Single Judge considered the rival contentions of the
    parties, perused the relevant record and the affidavit filed on behalf47
    of the Commission as well as two separate affidavits filed by two
    Members of the Commission who dissented in the final process
    undertaken by the Commission and issued following directions:
    "For the reasons stated above and in the facts and circumstances
    of the case, I allow all the writ petitions and direct the Public Service
    Commission as follows:
    (a) To delete the following questions of each paper of "A" series
    and their corresponding questions in "B", "C" and "D" series and
    distribute their marks pro-rata to remaining questions of the papers:
    (i) to (xi)
    (b) To separately redraw the merit of all the unselected candidates
    for the Main Examination in respect of compulsory paper of General
    Studies;
    (c) To redraw the merit of all the unselected candidates for the Main
    Examination as per direction (a) in respect of said ten optional
    subjects;
    (d) To separately redraw a combined merit list of such candidates
    who have appeared in the compulsory paper of General Studies and
    optional subject-papers, as mentioned in direction (a);
    (e) Also, to redraw a combined merit of compulsory paper of
    General Studies and optional papers of those candidates, in whose
    optional subject-papers there was no discrepancy, i.e., 1248
    remaining optional subjects, which include the subject-papers of
    Animal Husbandry, Botany, Indian History and Physics, and who
    have not been short-listed.
    (f) To conduct the special Main Examination of all such candidates,
    whose such combined redrawn merit is equal to or more than the
    merit of last short-listed candidate, in accordance with the
    procedure prescribed by the Examination Rules;
    (g) To complete the whole exercise within a period of six weeks;
    (h) To pay an amount of rupees one lac and thirty thousand as costs
    to the writ petitioners, at the rate of rupees ten thousands in each
    writ petition, to be shared by them equally...".
  • @vignesh once questions are established faulty. Even those who missed ifos can file a petition to allow for ifos mains which is in December.

So the possibilities are endless.
  • This is not a simple fight.. It is actually against UPSC(i.e.DoPT/PMO) which is nation's top-notch establishment..

Hence come into picture the theories of ethics which judges employ vigorously - this theory of ethics for judges favours the stability of nation's top-notch establishment at the cost of candidates' attempt in civil service irrespective of their personal exigencies and turmoils in life.. So WRONGS are painted RIGHT by court and candidate in higher age/attempt bracket are worst sufferers to keep help the continuance and sustainment of executive's official reputation ..

At the end, only undying spirits shown by 1000s of aggrieved candidates will/may persuade the system to impart justice to rightfully fighting candidate.. That the movement has sustained for last 50 days around after SC refusal is an evidence of the undying spirits which will win justice no matter how much cynical or negative sadists in and outside the office feel..
  • Smart Man said:

This is not a simple fight.. It is actually against UPSC(i.e.DoPT/PMO) which is nation's top-notch establishment..

Hence come into picture the theories of ethics which judges employ vigorously - this theory of ethics for judges favours the stability of nation's top-notch establishment at the cost of candidates' attempt in civil service irrespective of their personal exigencies and turmoils in life.. So WRONGS are painted RIGHT by court and candidate in higher age/attempt bracket are worst sufferers to keep help the continuance and sustainment of executive's official reputation ..

At the end, only undying spirits shown by 1000s of aggrieved candidates will/may persuade the system to impart justice to rightfully fighting candidate.. That the movement has sustained for last 50 days around after SC refusal is an evidence of the undying spirits which will win justice no matter how much cynical or negative sadists in and outside the office feel..

Hi smartman, long time no see.

Its a popular myth about judiciary.

I can clearly say with confidence after reading hundreds of judgments, that law and justice have always prevailed in situations similar to us.

What happened last time is a different matter and let me also say that justice was delivered on august 1st also(i know its hard to understand when not seen from a legal point of view, but past is past). I am saying this after going through minutest of details.

Have faith in our judiciary, justice will prevail and will be delivered.
  • Also, let me try to explain a few more things.

1. This is not a fight against any authority of this country. It is just a litigation to seek solution for "An instance" that have left a lot of us aggrieved.
    2. No one is greater than the law.
    3. The respondent in this case has impeccable record in the court of law, but has unfortunately erred in this instance as evident from the facts. Hence, with due respect for its past record, we are seeking to set things right which will ultimately result in the common good of every one concerned.
    4. Any reforms emerging from this will ultimately improve the respondent's credibility in the domain of transparency and accountability in the coming years and will instill greater public faith in the system.
    5. After all its just a litigation, its not a matter of anyone's pride or ego. Any human can err and therefore reforming the mistake and moving forward is the essence of humanity. No one will lose face or gain pride in this case.
  • I am sure there are atleast 5000 to 6000 aspirants who may have lost a chance at IFoS mains because of multiple answers. Unfortunately they marked the correct option albeit not in accordance with answer key. In place where 1000 odd students had to be selected, multiple answers have created a situation where 5000 to 6000 students can be eligible for IFoS due to multiple answers being correct.

Its time for all those aspirants to demand their rightful place in IFoS Mains. Time is gold and it will never come back. A loss of one year in age 21 to 30 is the worst thing that can happen to any human who aspires to be something great in life.
  • edited September 2017
    polarbear said:

. Moreover, even if SC grants relief for writing mains this year, is it feasible for the aspirants to prepare in short span

Bhai,prelim me bhi fail hua hu par puri imandaari se parahi ki hai , aur do baar mains already likh chuka hu yaani optional pura parh chuka hu already bus revision ki baat hai .. dont know about other but i am ready with my prelim+mains prep and it wud not take much time for me to revise ... and who "prepares" it's only revision work in this prelim main gap
  • the said:

polarbear said:

. Moreover, even if SC grants relief for writing mains this year, is it feasible for the aspirants to prepare in short span

Bhai,prelim me bhi fail hua hu par puri imandaari se parahi ki hai , aur do baar mains already likh chuka hu yaani optional pura parh chuka hu already bus revision ki baat hai .. dont know about other but i am ready with my prelim+mains prep and it wud not take much time for me to revise ... and who "prepares" it's only revision work in this prelim main gap
    OK. No need to explain bhai .Unfortunately it all depends on lawyer..n d judge.judge favourable hota nahin ..bada lawyer case leta nahin...luck hai poora ye exam ab jaise csat qualifying karwa diya gadhon ne..
    Ambiguous question hamesha aate rahe hain.Toh yaar iss baar ..ispe kya hoga?.
    Par haan fight karna chahiye ..lekin defeat ke baad stay cool..don't get attached .....IAS IS JUST AN EXAM ,A CAREER. .
  • Hi everyone,

After a lot of hard work by many people in Delhi and across the length our country, The petition is finally ready.
    After seeking "Suggestions" from former SC judges, Addl Adv General, a few senior Advocates and a few subject experts, we could arrive at the list of questions which are ambiguous.
    We have added the questions to which we have evidences. Evidences of only standard textbooks, SC judgments and Government Reports are allowed as per our lawyer.
    Hence we could not add any other question for which we could not find convincing evidences, However those remaining questions will be mentioned in the "oral arguments" and also there is a demand for expert committee to be set up to review the entire question paper.

Attaching the list of questions and evidences below.
    Also attaching the list of supreme court judgments in similar cases.
    Also attaching our writ petition copy(draft copy which is being sent to Registrar office and is not the final one).

There has been a lot of deliberation and discussion involving many aspirants, only after which the lawyer has arrived at this petition. Apologies in advance, if anything is left out. But, this is the best we could do.

Why do we have hope?
    1. Proper evidences are cited.
    2. Proper Supreme court judgments to back us.
    3. Faith in judiciary and justice.
    4. Faith in the almighty.

The petition will be filed tomorrow.

A total of 76 petitioners.

The court fees for Writ Petition(Civil) per petitioner is Rs.500. (Can be verified from Supreme court website)

Total court fees = 76*500 = 38000 INR

So far, we have spent 20k to pay the lawyer for drafting the petition.

We are left with 18k towards court fees and we are "Short of 20k more" to pay a total of 38k towards court fees.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We humbly request you to contribute your share in making this effort fruitful.

"Kindly consider contributing in the range of 100 rs to 1000rs. We dont want any of us to be burdened, because most of us are unemployed aspirants. Contribute over 1000rs only if you really want to. Otherwise, a simple contribution of rupees 100 or 500 would be very very helpful and would mean a lot to us at this stage."

Steps for payment,

Choose any one of the FOUR payment methods given below,

1. BHIM details - 7838846880 vishal rathi

2. Bank Transfer details -
    Niraj Kumar Singh
    Acc. # : 910010029705901
    IFSC :UTIB0000246

3. Paytm details - 9560144927(Niraj Singh)

4. Instamojo link - https://www.instamojo.com/cspjustice2017/

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you complete the transaction, PLEASE FILL THE FORM BELOW.

The below form will have the details of all the contributors and it will be visible to everyone to see the contribution so far(Enabling transparency and accountability in the process) .

Link to fill form - https://goo.gl/forms/CElI7DsNdsRu50oR2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to Questions and Evidences - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6trA174QMCwT0w3SnJCZzMwM1E
    Link to Supreme court Judgments - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6trA174QMCwNlY4X2xtc3hHanc
    Link to our writ petition(draft to be sent to SC registrar office) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6trA174QMCwcnJCeVM2aUtsMlE

Win or loose ,let Fight for justice begun even before becoming a civil service officer ,justice which if delayed is equivalent to being denied and nobody is over the law not even UPSC.
  • Contributed Rs200
    I sincerely believe in your cause. Had I not been appearing in this mains would have contributed in other forms too. All the best guys.
  • the said:

polarbear said:

OK. No need to explain bhai .Unfortunately it all depends on lawyer..n d judge.judge favourable hota nahin ..bada lawyer case leta nahin...luck hai poora ye exam ab jaise csat qualifying karwa diya gadhon ne..
    Ambiguous question hamesha aate rahe hain.Toh yaar iss baar ..ispe kya hoga?.
    Par haan fight karna chahiye ..lekin defeat ke baad stay cool..don't get attached .....IAS IS JUST AN EXAM ,A CAREER. .
    +1
  • Contributed Rs200
    I sincerely believe in your cause. Had I not been appearing in this mains would have contributed in other forms too. All the best guys.

Dehra said:

All the best @Einstein10

Thank you very much. It means a lot. Your wishes will motivate everyone in our team.
  • from the google form data,
    people from this thread have contributed 5,150 rupees so far.
    My heartfelt gratitude to all of you. Means more than what words can express.
    Thank you so so much.
  • to those who have filled the form for being petitioners, i shall call you tomorrow evening to convey the details.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google