ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details

How to attempt questions like Mcbride commision (2016 GS2) when you dont know anything about it ?

Hi Let me put the question exactly as was asked in UPSC 2016

"What are the aims and objectives of the McBride Commission of the UNESCO? What is India’s position on these?"

I understand that we can divide the question in subparts and answer accordingly but how can we write india's posotion if we dont know wnything about iy\t?

Seniors please share your strategy to attempt the questions which we dont know anything about to get 0.5, 1, 1.5 marks atleast

Thanks

Comments

• Don't attempt those questions you have information about it will waste precious time, they will give zero marks for such answer and will create a negative image in eye of examiner.
    If its a question you know little about then it can be attempted by breaking it into parts to juice out 1-2 marks.
  • Zero information about *
  • Some people including toppers say write whatever you know.
    For instance, in this question, they would ask to write about UNESCO itself. .!
    However, this approach doesn't seem rational, at least to me.

Better leave such questions.

Entirely personal opinion.
  • Nadira said:

Some people including toppers say write whatever you know.

• Nadira said:

Some people including toppers say write whatever you know.

+1
    I watched a video in which a Topper's answer was on the lines of UNESCO and India-unesco and nothing obviously on mcbride. Does it really fetch marks or is it just something they feel fetched them marks?
  • Hi Let me put the question exactly as was asked in UPSC 2016

"What are the aims and objectives of the McBride Commission of the UNESCO? What is India’s position on these?"

I understand that we can divide the question in subparts and answer accordingly but how can we write india's posotion if we dont know wnything about iy\t?

Seniors please share your strategy to attempt the questions which we dont know anything about to get 0.5, 1, 1.5 marks atleast

Thanks

Use words which will always stay true and will be non-controversial. Write some general points and finish ASAP.

Not more than 3 minutes for such questions.

You might get 1-2 marks, maybe zero too..So take a calculate risk.

PS: Based on inputs from Rank-5 in one of his videos at Lukmaan
    The angels are lost in perpetual contemplation of an infinite glory.
  • Hi Let me put the question exactly as was asked in UPSC 2016

Thanks

Based on my experience, I would say that easier, till about like 2 years ago, you could get marks for writing 1-2 lines or half a page - general points - on a topic that you had no idea about.

However, in the last two years, I have largely observed that people who attempt questions here they have no clue, do not end up getting as many marks.

In a question like this, you may at best write niceties, generally agreeable terms, but it is completely alright if you do not write anything and leave a blank page.

I am also aware of not fully verifiable, but trusted, clear upsc guidelines on awarding zero for such questions. However examiner discretion exists.

As of the past few years, being succinct has helped. Being very elaborate has not.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Neyawn said:

Hi Let me put the question exactly as was asked in UPSC 2016

Thanks

Based on my experience, I would say that easier, till about like 2 years ago, you could get marks for writing 1-2 lines or half a page - general points - on a topic that you had no idea about.

However, in the last two years, I have largely observed that people who attempt questions here they have no clue, do not end up getting as many marks.

In a question like this, you may at best write niceties, generally agreeable terms, but it is completely alright if you do not write anything and leave a blank page.

I am also aware of not fully verifiable, but trusted, clear upsc guidelines on awarding zero for such questions. However examiner discretion exists.

As of the past few years, being succinct has helped. Being very elaborate has not.
    Or just ignore the question and use the time to improve quality of other questions?
  • Invigilator will quickly figure out that u are a hallow person if u write bs... better to skip such type of questions because invigilator would definitely googled .
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog