All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Those preparing from home: how do you keep yourself focused and motivated?

just the idea of spending whole year at home only studying bore me to death and I lose focus really quickly. Not to mention the constant distractions. how do you guys escape these things?

Comments

• Everyone has their own way of preparing fighting all these distractions, you discover yours. Go through some topper blogs/strategies as to how one should proceed,Dos and Don'ts. Eventually, motivation must come from inside for this long haul.
    An anonymous personified..............
  • just the idea of spending whole year at home only studying bore me to death and I lose focus really quickly. Not to mention the constant distractions. how do you guys escape these things?

Try joining some small job, like teaching students etc, anything to keep you occupied for some part of the day, even if just one or two hours. It helps making a routine and gives you something to look forward to everyday, apart from the pocket money. If teaching something related to upsc or your optional then even better.
    Apart from that you could also join some group sport like basketball, cricket, football etc with nearby people for some entertainment. Helps you not feel alone all the time and keeps you physically active as well...
    As exam gets closer, about 2 -3 months, then you will get thorough motivation yourself, but till then one needs something extra.
    One thing to keep in mind, do not let anything become all that you do in one day. One year of regular study is important to succeed in upsc. Dont forget that.
    Goodluck :+1: :blush:
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • join any online integrated(pre+mains) test series(insight, IAS baba etc...), they have a weekly plan to follow and On Sunday test is there. it works for me because a target is there, we have to prepare at least those things which are going to come in next Sunday test, and rest of the time we can focus on our optional, and writing practices, making notes etc.... try to cover GS-1, GS-2 by December.
  • Thanks a lot! You all were really helpful
  • just the idea of spending whole year at home only studying bore me to death and I lose focus really quickly. Not to mention the constant distractions. how do you guys escape these things?

Be ready to get bored to death. As others have suggested join some low end jobs etc. Or you can join some short duration distance learning programs from Ignou and the likes. Having a certificate on labour management or industrial law is not a bad thing at all.
    If you can find teaching assignment at your local cse coaching centre then just grab it. But be prepared for 2 months uninterrupted study before prelims.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
  • You know the thing about this exam? Tempus tends to fugit. Look Aug is almost over, and before you know it it will be Dec. Whatever works for you, instead of a hyper precise timetable have a broad one at least till you finish the syllabus. Look up workflowy, todoist, reduce you phone data plan :p

• Everyone has their own way of preparing fighting all these distractions, you discover yours. Go through some topper blogs/strategies as to how one should proceed,Dos and Don'ts. Eventually, motivation must come from inside for this long haul.

Please be selective while following toppers. They misguide a lot.
  • Wakaao said:

Everyone has their own way of preparing fighting all these distractions, you discover yours. Go through some topper blogs/strategies as to how one should proceed,Dos and Don'ts. Eventually, motivation must come from inside for this long haul.

Please be selective while following toppers. They misguide a lot.
    Sahi kaha
  • first and foremost thing join a library in ur town/city...it will save ur a lot of lazy timing which u end up at home.......everything else u can do as people said
  • Depending on your age, I would recommend joining your local legislator in public work. This will help you in building profile and not to mention the unique experiences. The politician will be more than happy to offer you some constructive work as they are always short of enthusiastic and educated people...
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google