MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

What is Age Cohort Ratio?

edited October 2013 in Current Affairs
Anyone?
I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    @woman in what context are we discussing this?

Suppose you are comparing the IQ of 18 year boys in 1990 with 18 year boys in 2010: The ratio can be considered as an age cohort ratio. And such analysis can be used for different parameters.

(This is based on my limited knowledge! Do update this thread whenever you understand it.)
  • Cohort is usually the group only as @Partho specified, more often sharing a particular event.

For example, consider a study being conducted on anaemia in women in a village in Rajasthan. All the girls of age cohort 0-5 were immunised according to GoI's program in 1990. At the same time, 36% of them were found to be anaemic. Now, the researchers return in 2010 while the same age cohort has turned 20-25. It finds that 19% of the women only are anaemic.

The age cohort ratio of anaemic women (girl - women) has come down significantly. So, does the govt's vaccination program contribute in reducing anaemia in women?
    (Of course, it does not... this is just a crap example)

Context is important!
    Sharpen your axe, before cutting down the tree...
  • Sorry for not mentioning the context, it is electoral process in India.
    @Partho @Arpit Thx but my doubt is particular to this context, I know what 'age' & 'cohort' mean independently.
    I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.
  • In that case you must be referring to the fact that 2014 elections will be the first election when people born after the 1991 reforms will exercise their voting rights.

is it?
  • In that case you must be referring to the fact that 2014 elections will be the first election when people born after the 1991 reforms will exercise their voting rights.

is it?
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/best-matches-are-where-referees-never-use-cautionary-whistles/1181131/
  • I think, It is basically comparing the percentage of 2 age groups. Or measuring the percentage of electors in the age group 18-19. (The new entrants!).
  • I think, It is basically comparing the percentage of 2 age groups. Or measuring the percentage of electors in the age group 18-19. (The new entrants!).
    Can be many things actually .. there are many possible permutations.
  • @woman
    Thanks to you. Because I didn't know that term before and also didn't read that article.
    Surely,your query increased my knowledge with +1 term/Concept. :)>-
    “If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or objects.”
    ―Albert Einstein
  • Age cohort for an electoral process are USUALLY grouped thus:-

18-19
    20-29
    30-39
    so on...

The two " numbers " if I might, that the ECI would be interested in looking at w.r.t age cohort are :

a) age cohort ratio- of a particular cohort to that of total population
    b) age cohort ratio-of a particular cohort to the total ELIGIBLE TO VOTE population.

Having said that,I see 3 possibilities:

(i) A question related to age cohort appears in the mains in 2014 - we've the arsenal to let our spontaneity and creativity take over, thanks to this thread.
    (ii) A question related to age cohort appears in the prelims next year- we get it right and thank " the ( NOT) woman "
    ( iii) neither (i) nor ( ii),we STILL have this weapon for a creative answer elsewhere!
    Win-win-win :)

Pehle vey aap par dhyan nahi denge, Fir aap par hasenge, Fir aapse ladenge, Aur tab aapki jeet hogi.
  • edited October 2013
    Age cohorts* for an electoral process
    Pehle vey aap par dhyan nahi denge, Fir aap par hasenge, Fir aapse ladenge, Aur tab aapki jeet hogi.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog