MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1 - Books and Online Tests. Guidance Please.

Please guide me with the books and online tests for SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1. I have heard of KD Campus and Paramount Academy. Are their books and Test Series good enough? I know most people are busy with UPSC preparation as the prelims is just round the corner, but if you can help me out, I would be very grateful to all of you. Thanks.

Comments

• They are good. That's all I know.
  • I am not appearing for cse this year, focussing solely on ssc this year. You can ask me whatever you want to. I am not taking any coaching so wont be able to help you out there.

Paramaount is a very renouned name for ssc. Their questions for the test series was tougher than ssc examlast year. It would be a good option to avail the test series. Can not comment about kd campus though.
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • I am not appearing for cse this year, focussing solely on ssc this year. You can ask me whatever you want to. I am not taking any coaching so wont be able to help you out there.

Paramaount is a very renouned name for ssc. Their questions for the test series was tougher than ssc examlast year. It would be a good option to avail the test series. Can not comment about kd campus though.

I am not looking for coaching, but books, material and Online Tests.

I am not looking for coaching, but books, material and Online Tests.
    I too am interested in SSC.

Thanks. I too am not looking for coaching but books. I looked into a few books. Found "From Plinth to Paramount" for English and Advanced Maths by KD Campus.

Thanks. I too am not looking for coaching but books. I looked into a few books. Found "From Plinth to Paramount" for English and Advanced Maths by KD Campus.
    Cant say about kd book, but paramount wala book is good. Par uske test serues jyada aache hai. Uska set le lijiye aur practice kijiye. Ho jana chahiye.

Online test series testbook k aache hain.

For maths do you want to learn concepts or just for practice(decent maths background)! For practice paramount test series will do. For basics their classroom notes are available in most bookshops in mukharjeenagar, karolbagh, munirka and ber sarai.

I would suggest to fownload some mock tests and try solving them without the time limit first to assess your situation and then only look for the requisite book(time saver).
  • @Woodpecker Bhai i have decent command over maths but i cant seem to get above 100 in any test series( except the easier ones like gradeup), how to improve and utilize test series. Also people are saying reasoning is easy but i find it extremely tough and time consuming especially in paramount test series.how to improve reasoning. any books for maximum return. cant spend a whole lot of time on ssc as upsc also needs time.Help.
  • killerjoe said:

@Woodpecker Bhai i have decent command over maths but i cant seem to get above 100 in any test series( except the easier ones like gradeup), how to improve and utilize test series. Also people are saying reasoning is easy but i find it extremely tough and time consuming especially in paramount test series.how to improve reasoning. any books for maximum return. cant spend a whole lot of time on ssc as upsc also needs time.Help.

As you say you are good at maths concepts all you need now is to work on your speed which will come from practice. Start by solving marhs section in half an hour half hr for reasoning and then gradually try to increase the speed and reduce the tine spent to 20-22mins.

For reasoning main throng s relaxed brain. Most of the times the answer is right there but in our hurry to jump to the next question we miss it. Specially in ssc exam. To build your base on reasning there is one book by bsc publications for reasoning(blue cover),i forgot the name. You can find it in any bookshop which sells competition books. Try solving the questions without looking at the soluion first. Then mark your progress and understand how your thinking and approach was different from the solution provided how you were wrong where the fault lies. Once you start doing that you will find reasoning much easier than you find today.

Edit found the book.
    http://www.amazon.in/Analytical-Reasoning-M-K-Pandey/dp/8190458914?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=095d36e0-5565-413d-9e94-e95cd48e38ee
  • @Woodpecker : An out of context q, but can you please tell me what is the prescribed size for image and signature uploading ? Do we have to strictly restrict to 12Kb as given in the instructions ?
  • @Woodpecker : An out of context q, but can you please tell me what is the prescribed size for image and signature uploading ? Do we have to strictly restrict to 12Kb as given in the instructions ?

I guess it is soeyhing around 20-22kb. I am not sure though. Kindly check the guidelines.
  • edited June 2017
    @Woodpecker which book is better for English practice sets kiran or mb publication?
  • which book for reasoning?
  • ASaini said:

@Woodpecker which book is better for English practice sets kiran or mb publication?

Kiran has a lot of errors so does arihant. Havent seen mbpub book.

Every reasoning and english book will have errors. Focus on concepts and then buy a testbank to solve questions. Then jump to test series for better evaluation. Testbook and oliveboard has good quality questions. Try free mocks before paying for the test series.
  • Samskara educational academy in chennai is going to start SSC -CGL Tr-1 coaching from 12 th June .9344054321&9361054321
  • Not related to thread but please can someone guide further.I was preparing for RBI exam but now i do not feel confident enough to crack it this year.And this was my last chance but as i m working in bank so there is age relaxation for net year.
    I am also thinking of preparing for SSC exam this year as again it comes out to be my last chance can somebody please how to start it in right manner...as my strategy for RBI doesnt seem to work well.
  • Please guide me with the books and online tests for SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1. I have heard of KD Campus and Paramount Academy. Are their books and Test Series good enough? I know most people are busy with UPSC preparation as the prelims is just round the corner, but if you can help me out, I would be very grateful to all of you. Thanks.

Maths -
    Kiran chapterwise previous year
    Arihant quantum cat by sarvesh verma
    Kiran ssc tier 2 maths
    Bsc publication advance maths by k kundan
    Lucent advance maths

English :-
    A mirror of common errors
    Arihant s p Bakshi
    M b publication

GS :-1: -
    Kiran previous year chapterwise & lucent subjective
    Rest solve atleast 50 practice sets before pre & mains

Cant say about kd book, but paramount wala book is good. Par uske test serues jyada aache hai. Uska set le lijiye aur practice kijiye. Ho jana chahiye.

Online test series testbook k aache hain.

For maths do you want to learn concepts or just for practice(decent maths background)! For practice paramount test series will do. For basics their classroom notes are available in most bookshops in mukharjeenagar, karolbagh, munirka and ber sarai.

I would suggest to fownload some mock tests and try solving them without the time limit first to assess your situation and then only look for the requisite book(time saver).
    Thanks sir/ma'am
  • alok_dgp said:

Please guide me with the books and online tests for SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1. I have heard of KD Campus and Paramount Academy. Are their books and Test Series good enough? I know most people are busy with UPSC preparation as the prelims is just round the corner, but if you can help me out, I would be very grateful to all of you. Thanks.

Maths -
    Kiran chapterwise previous year
    Arihant quantum cat by sarvesh verma
    Kiran ssc tier 2 maths
    Bsc publication advance maths by k kundan
    Lucent advance maths

English :-
    A mirror of common errors
    Arihant s p Bakshi
    M b publication

GS :-1: -
    Kiran previous year chapterwise & lucent subjective
    Rest solve atleast 50 practice sets before pre & mains

Thanks sir
  • Bookmarked.
  • Is anyone willing to share any test series wid me? Willing to share the costs as well if not possible to do it free.
  • @alok_dgp Can you guide regarding any coaching in Delhi for Quantitative Aptitude. IBPS course will also do. I am starting for SSC, from scratch and now...so not that hopeful. But I need classes on Maths and Reasoning too, I don't mind.
    There are many institutes and I have no idea from whom to take guidance. Preferred area is Rajinder Nagar, Patel Nagar or Mukerjee Nagar even.

And relevant websites/forums for IBPS and SSC?
  • Does someone has/had personal experience with any institute?
  • . NCERT Geography class 6th :

• edited July 2017

Tier1 .... Do all previous papers. More than enough.

Tier2..... English... KD campus/mb publication
    Maths..... Kiran 8900 questions book. More than enough

This is from my experience of cgl16. Expecting CBDT or cbec inspector. Am also UPSC aspirant

*Assuming u are UPSC aspirant and not talking about GK part. Else for GK... Leucent
  • Hello Guys for tier-1 we need to prepare for current affairs of last 6 months, right ?
    Is there any good source online PDF etc ?
    Please share
  • Please guide me with the books and online tests for SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1. I have heard of KD Campus and Paramount Academy. Are their books and Test Series good enough? I know most people are busy with UPSC preparation as the prelims is just round the corner, but if you can help me out, I would be very grateful to all of you. Thanks.

Best Books For SSC CGL exam – A Complete List

Best Books For SSC CGL exam – A Complete List.We are sharing with you list of some Good Books for SSC Exams.You can find their Flipkart links here.

Every year SSC Exam is conducted in order to recruit the large number of qualified job seekers to fill up vacant seats under different departments that come under The Government of India

Every year, on an average, 1 Cr students sit for the examinations held by SSC for these posts which make it one of the toughest exams to crack. Competition is really tough. Right preparation strategy is needed to crack SSC Exam. While preparing for SSC Exam, it is also important to know the important topics and tips to crack SSC Exam.

Pattern of SSC CGL Exam:

The paper for the Staff Selection consists of four sections.

General Awareness
    English Comprehension
    Quantitative Aptitude
    Reasoning
    TIER 2

This consists of two sets of papers.

Quantitative Abilities comprising
    English Language & Comprehension
    For English Recommended Books

http://www.sscnaukari.in/2017/04/best-books-ssc-cgl-exam-complete-list.html

Hello,
    Below are the books for SASC CGL preparation:

Books for English Comprehension

1. Quick learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & VikasAggarwal

2. Perfect Competitive English by V. K. Sinha

3. Competitive General English by Kiran Prakashan

4. Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis

5. Objective General English by S. P. Bakshi

Books for General Awareness

1. General Knowledge byDr. Binary Karn (Lucent Publications)

2. General Knowledge- Arihant Publications

3. NCERT Textbooks for Classes IX and X (History, Geography, Polity, and Economy) -

4. Manorama Yearbook 2015 (English)

Books for Quantitative Ability

1. Quantum Cat by Sarvesh Verma

2. Quicker Mathematics by M. Tyra

3. Elementary and Advanced Mathematics- Kiran Publication

Books for Reasoning Ability

1. Analytical Reasoning by M. K. Pandey

2. Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning byR. S. Aggarwal

3. Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning (Hindi)- Kiran Publication

4. A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal & Non-Verbal (English) by B. S. Sijwali, Indu Sijwali

5. Logical & Analytical Reasoning (English) by A. K. Gupta

You can also check the preparation tips and study materials for SSC CGL Exam.
  • akki343 said:

Hello,
    Below are the books for SASC CGL preparation:

Books for English Comprehension

1. Quick learning Objective General English by RS Aggarwal & VikasAggarwal

2. Perfect Competitive English by V. K. Sinha

3. Competitive General English by Kiran Prakashan

4. Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis

5. Objective General English by S. P. Bakshi

Books for General Awareness

1. General Knowledge byDr. Binary Karn (Lucent Publications)

2. General Knowledge- Arihant Publications

3. NCERT Textbooks for Classes IX and X (History, Geography, Polity, and Economy) -

4. Manorama Yearbook 2015 (English)

Books for Quantitative Ability

1. Quantum Cat by Sarvesh Verma

2. Quicker Mathematics by M. Tyra

3. Elementary and Advanced Mathematics- Kiran Publication

Books for Reasoning Ability

1. Analytical Reasoning by M. K. Pandey

2. Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning byR. S. Aggarwal

3. Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning (Hindi)- Kiran Publication

4. A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal & Non-Verbal (English) by B. S. Sijwali, Indu Sijwali

5. Logical & Analytical Reasoning (English) by A. K. Gupta

You can also check the preparation tips and study materials for SSC CGL Exam.
    Itne saarey toh Bhai ham UPSC met bhi Nahi padhte
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog