All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Reason for choosing a particular optional

edited September 2013 in Miscellaneous
Hi Guys,

I am preparing for CSE 2014 and at the moment trying to figure out which optional to take. I totally understand that to an extent the sole reason for the choice of an optional should be the interest in the subject. Currently I am finding 2-3 different subjects interesting but not 100% sure about the final choice.

I would like to know from you guys which optional have you taken and briefly the reason behind your choice.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    @singha : First of All, it's best to mention your graduation background which would help us for suggesting. If you are from engineering background and have strong technical knowledge,better you choose one. In other case(B.A Economics,Psychology,Sociology....).Also please mention the "2-3 different subjects interesting".Go through this thread,if you haven't already. http://forumias.com/discussion/2376/optional-with-maximum-overlapping-with-gs#Item_9
    $A Reluctant Fundamentalist$
  • My take :
    Prepare for GS(pre+mains), You shall get enough experience/time to decide a subject to choose from.

There are several other factors to be taken into consideration for choosing an optional subject
    i) Popular Subject, which is generally deduced from the previous year selection rate.
    ii) Availability of the study material in the market.
    iii) Availability of guidance/teachers in the market.
    iii) Personal taste, some choose "mathematics" and some "History" !

PS: prepare for all the three phases of the exam, simultaneously.
  • Interest is sole criteria for me.But if you are finding 2-3 subjects interesting then you can zero upon a subject with maximum overlap with GS as it will help you in your preparation phase.
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • Thanks a lot for you suggestions guys.

@rs10 : I am from engg background (mech, iitk). I have a doubt on my mech engg knowledge since I am working in a slightly different field since past 4 years. At the moment I find Anthro, Socio and Geo among the interesting subjects to pick from.

@LuV : I think based on the overlap with GS, Geo or Socio could be a good option. But I really doubt if there exists such an overlap in the mind of UPSC while setting the paper. Anyhow, thanks for your opinion.

Cheers.
  • @singha Even I am from mechanical background and have the dilemma. Anyway consider psychology as well as they say syllabus is limited and more over it is static.
  • @singha
    Sociology purely due to zeal to know social understandings.
    Public Administration has the most overlapping syllabus with GS now- I think i am correct :-).
    Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress.
  • edited September 2013
    my choice for optional is History.
    reasons:
    1. my graduation subject.
    2. almost whole 2nd paper has same syllabus as GS (modern india + world history.
    3. in 1st paper about 50 marks map questions.by regular practice, one can get about 40-45 marks easily.
    4. 1st paper has ancient india and culture part.UPSC is unpredictable.it may (or may not) change it's mood from modern india to ancient in PRELIMS which is ALSO the part of syllabus.
    5. "vast" syllabus- NO,, this subject has certain core areas from where questions appear each year.just identify them from previous year papers and practise answer writing.
    6. availability of guidance, materials.
    7. static syllabus/subject.
    8. helps in essay; everything has it's history.:-)
  • @fakir what materials do you refer for history optionals?
  • @fakir what materials do you refer for history optionals?
    bhai my graduation is from ignou.so
    1. ignou study materials.(selectively)
    2.ancient- jha & srimali.
    3.medieval- H C verma,both parts.
    4.modern - yashpal & grover.
    5.world- jain & mathur.
    6.an arihant pub. book for previous years papers and map section.

p.s.- i prefer one book for one topic.,thora bahut NCERT bhi dekh leta hu'n.
  • ...also i am not satisfied with my prep. on medieval portion.planning to buy some coaching materials.
  • I was in dilemma about the optional and decided to take sociology but your reasons are covincing me,need to rethink
    my choice for optional is History.
    reasons:
    1. my graduation subject.
    2. almost whole 2nd paper has same syllabus as GS (modern india + world history.
    3. in 1st paper about 50 marks map questions.by regular practice, one can get about 40-45 marks easily.
    4. 1st paper has ancient india and culture part.UPSC is unpredictable.it may (or may not) change it's mood from modern india to ancient in PRELIMS which is ALSO the part of syllabus.
    5. "vast" syllabus- NO,, this subject has certain core areas from where questions appear each year.just identify them from previous year papers and practise answer writing.
    6. availability of guidance, materials.
    7. static syllabus/subject.
    8. helps in essay; everything has it's history.:-)
    :-w
  • edited September 2013
    Can anyone post the success rate of optional subjects in last few years examinations...
  • edited September 2013
    Most of the engineering students choose Geography as optional, History and Public Administration have emerged from past years. Public Administration has been observed to have high success rate.But it's better to prefer the subject we are interested in than the one which has success rate.
    http://forum.aglasem.com/showthread.php?10985-Civil-Services-(IAS)-2010-UPSC-Popular-Subject-with-success-Rate
    http://www.iaspassion.com/2043-ias-news-Success_rate_of_Optional_Subjects_in_Mains_Examination.aspx
    http://www.iaspassion.com/2585-ias-news-Civil_Services_(Main)_Examination_2010__Success_rate_of_all_Optional_Subjects.aspx
    http://iaskracker.com/interesting-statistics-about-the-civil-services-exam/
    Can anyone post the success rate of optional subjects in last few years examinations...
  • Great Information In This Article. Bharati Vidyapeeth, for the Bharati Vidyapeeth Sumra is very best, VIT scope to have the, MIT Risk less Process for, PICT Admission guidelines, DYPatil within the top, Galgotia and the Best, Direct Admission Institutes among Total Colleges Top BSchool as well as sinhgad group of institutes SCOE is well known BVP group of the all CPS programs CS offering colleges. Thanks Sumra for Great Information Total real details for Direct admissions.BHMS Thanks for BAMS sharing such BPT Information Sinhgad and DYPatil is the Deemed universities in Maharashtra and the Pharm.D seats admissions and its exam date as well as fees structure of BBALLB courses for BCA Students and BDS seats of Medical and Engineering students.

• History and Public Administration have emerged from past years. Public Administration has been observed to have high success rate.But it's better to prefer the subject we are interested in than the one which has success rate.
    https://www.examsplay.com/mats-university-result/
  • rs10 said:

@singha : First of All, it's best to mention your graduation background which would help us for suggesting. If you are from engineering background and have strong technical knowledge,better you choose one. In other case(B.A Economics,Psychology,Sociology....).Also please mention the "2-3 different subjects interesting".Go through this thread,if you haven't already. http://forumias.com/discussion/2376/optional-with-maximum-overlapping-with-gs#Item_9

You've Shared a Mind Blowing Article But I Want Full Information and Every Details About The Same Topic.
  • You've Shared a Mind Blowing Article But I Want Full Information and Every Details About The Same Topic.Direct Admission and Any Colleges..
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google