ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Reviews about Sanskrit optional !

edited September 2013 in Miscellaneous
|| नमस्कारः||

What are the commonly held 'opinions/reviews' about the Sanskrit optional subject ?
I am not at all in hurry to choose an optional subject as I am 'sincerely' trying to tackle the dynamic part of GS(Pre+Mains) !, I know it shall continue till the last day of preparation.
Last night I saw the Sanskrit optional question paper and I was able to solve 20-23 marks questions 'correctly' . It was about a gap of 6 years that I had seen the "Devnagri script for Sanskrit language". Saw the review about Sanskrit at several forums across the web, consulted vibin sir about the chances of major changes in the CSE-14 notification.

All the 'consultations' are favoring 'my chances to opt for Sanskrit'. Till now.
-------------------------------------------
Sanskrit
Pros
-I have studied Sanskrit from class 6 to 12.
-good marks in sanskrit in 12 board (90+ out of 100)
-I stay in Varanasi UP, so the availability of Sanskrit scholars is 'good'
-after reading about all the other optional subjects, I consider it to be a safe optional. One word answers are expected. The syllabus is clear/small. The subject is logical, and is not like Hindi where the scope of improvement is always there, and is neither like Pali where the aspirants "write the answers before looking at the question" (and the analysis of the performance remains doubtful)
- Good 'Return on Investment' (as I am willing to work very hard, as I love studying).
- few lines from the Syllabus
-Kumarsambhabvam............shlokas 1 to 10
-Uttararamacharitam ................shlokas 1 to 10 etc (impressive syllabus)
- Sanskrit books are available. Notes of the subject are available at "few shops of Delhi".

Cons
- No postal test series.
- Very few aspirants, to Discuss it online/offline !

What do you say friends?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Hi,

The cons mentioned by you can be harnessed into pros. This year's Rank-3 also had one of the optional as Agriculture, whose popularity among aspirants and study material availability is same as that of Sanskrit. Being from UP, your answers might reflect originality of thought and shall not be deemed to be the manufactured answers as is the case with popular subjects whose same notes / books are read by all the students.

If you can take some help of local Sanskrit scholars, which is definitely possible in Varanasi, then you can cover the syllabi much faster and in much efficient way. And if you consider to choose History as your optional, which is generally popular among the aspirants, then there are more chances of scaling. Needless to mention about the fate of Pub Ad in recent results.

In Delhi, there are some faculties which are considered as the best for History- Hemant Jha Sir, Baliyan Sir and Manikant Singh Sir. The notes of first two are considered as more than any literature on History. Suppose if you choose History and decide to study at your home and just appear for test series (either of Vision or of Synergy), then in this case despite of your full sincere efforts, there might remain lacunae in your preparation in your first attempt. The competition in history is much more high as compared to Sanskrit. Although, with efforts competition can be cracked, but better to keep this point under light as well. History, being a vast subject requires much planning as what not to read as against what to read (source: Saurabh Malik, Rank 51) and such a planning is almost impossible for a new comer without History background.

And this becomes much tougher if one is doing self study. So, kindly gauge this fact as well.

You also mentioned about absence of postal test series. I exactly don't remember the name of optional subject but there was some literature subject as optional whose 9 candidates appeared in all in Mains, out of which 4 qualified for interview. Sorry, once again I don't know the exact year too but that was between 2008-2011. So, definitely postal test series is not must, provided aspirants are few. And even if there are more aspirants, then you can just solve last 10 years papers and get it evaluated from professors of university, might be Sampurnanand Sanskrit University, BHU, et al.

I think there is one con, which if you can manage then you should definitely go for Sanskrit. Here it goes:

After reading Sanskrit, you might feel like a traditional scholar or Pandit type personality, which might be relected during the interviews. Better to delve deep into the subject but not be a pandit for CSE purposes. Moreover, your company with Sanskrit professors can even more lead to this thing.

Thats my point. If u can overcome above point, go for Sanskrit.

In any case, you are going to choose any 1 optional and u r choosing the one which is unrelated to your background. Plus, u plan to come to Delhi for test series (in case u go for History), which shall run around 1 to 2 months. If u can just stretch your stay for few more weeks, then I will advise you to go for Psychology at Vajiram. They shall take 3 to 3.5 months to complete it. And not just they shall complete it, u yourself will get it done within 3.5 months along with your classes. MUKUL PATHAK!!! Hats off to this man. Needless to say anything about him. Shubhra Saxena, AIR-1, took classes from him, and she was completely amazed. I bet if you can hear a single negative review about him. You need to think about 2 things: are you interested in Psychology and about 40,000 bucks for Psycho plus living expenses in Delhi.

Dear, I would like to conclude now. If u can go to Delhi then - Psycho, otherwise Sanskrit.

Bye.
  • edited September 2013
    if you are equally comfortable with a popular and an unpopular optional,go for the latter one.You will not repent even though at face value it might appear that the popular optional will help in GS.
    Ex-railwayman,Indian Police service
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks @Eric, for you opinion, such small comment helps a lot ! (few more comments, from other friends would be helpful ).

We all do 'work hard'.
    We all do 'want to work hard'.
    But it shall be our sheer 'hard-luck', if any of the "ill-logical factors" become a cause to- 'prepare for "one more" year.
    Here the 'illogical factors' refer to, (as they are popular among the aspirants)
    - personal grudge of UPSC. Eg. Pub. Ad.
    - bad luck during interview !
    But then also I have a great love and respect for these, Indian Competitive Exams .
    Its pure.
    Its logical.
    Its sacred.
    Far-far away from the 'bullshit attendance rule' and 'non-sense teachers(book readers)', which most of us have experienced.

• Although I am naive, but from the little experience I've gained from my elder sister, I can say that literature optionals are sometimes much better than other ones. For literature if books are available then it is good.
  • edited September 2013
    literature subjects have helped many to realize their CSE dreams(scaling also helps with comparatively less number of candidates compared to other popular subjects) my acquaintance got 400/600 in his literature subject helping him to get IAS finally,last year.

also this years AIR 8 had sanskrit as one of the optionals..maybe you will be the next :)
    You may be a king or a little street sweeper,but sooner or later you dance with the reaper!
  • @Sanjeev0120
    Thanks friend, for a "friendly" reply !
    Yes, I was thinking about this aspect(interview) of, choosing this optional. It won't be a big problem to search for a simple convincing reply, to this question.

I also ate PAAN today, that was rejuvenating ! >:D<
  • If you like Sanskrit, go for it. for self examination and reassurance some suggestions -

1. study just 25% of paper 1 syllabus and give it 20-30 days time.

2. then collect at least 20-30 questions of Sanskrit from previous years.

3 rattofy what you have learnt.

4. try solving the questions that you have collected.

5. check the "retainability" of the subject. how much you are able to learn and retain.

I am sure Sanskrit must have syllabus. Any subject which has small syllabus has one caveat, you have write the whole thing 7-10 times to be able to retain it.

there won't be any general questions in Sanskrit. questions will be specific, having exact specific answers. so either you score very high or very less. no average marks concept. you can't write your own answers like you do in Pub Ad etc.

last but not the least, try to get notes as per syllabus from somewhere. that should be your l/focus for preparing for Sanskrit paper.
  • @BombayPirate
    I am sorry, but whatever you have suggested is not going to give me the desired result !!! (result desired by me)

I have been thinking, in the gaps between study since yesterday, regarding mastering Sanskrit, so that I can get "good marks than others !"

The points you have mentioned, might be very apt for Pali literature(which is abolished for its very nature of rote learning) but can never work for Sanskrit Literature (I have studied Sanskrit for about 6 years, during my childhood days).

I completely/strongly disagree with your point number 3 !!!

Sanskrit Literature(according to UPSC syllabus) can be divided into two parts.

i) Grammar (known as Vyakaran in Sanskrit)
    ii) Literature (the different literary works. Meghdutam, kumar sambhawam, mahakavyam )

There are only three questions which are to be answered in the Sanskrit language. Rest all can be written in English language. This is what makes it an easy choice.

My strategy to "get good marks in Sanskrit Literature is to"

i) Try to master the Grammar portion. Which, I have completed. I bought the vyakaran book today, and all the things were quite easy and I am happy that I have not forgotten any single "shabd roop/dhaatu roop" of Sanskrit (these are the different forms of the verb in the Sanskrit Language, like we do have in English language---- Go, Went, Gone ). *

ii) Try to know different words of sanskrit everyday. This would help me forming the sentences while writing the essays. Two essays are of 30 marks each, are asked. (this logic is similar to that of English language, more the words you know better the vocabulary and hence, better the expression)

iii)Try to write as many sentences in sanskrit, as I can ! (Once I am able to comfortably express my self in Sanskrit, like I can in English/Hindi, nothing in tough in Sanskrit ! ). I will make the notes myself so that i can score better than those who would refer to "notes" (this very idea of rote learning would make all the answers from Delhi, alike ) . I shall use small sentences, so that the chances of making the mistake becomes small.

iv) Wait for the result to come !

( Rote learning in Sanskrit= Epic fail=one more attempt= impossible for me )

Thanks for you concern. I will try my best, lets see what happens. Chances are high that I shall be asked some questions with the deep knowledge of Sanskrit, in the Personality Test (its almost certain). For that I will have to work very hard, I shall try to speak in Sanskrit, for this very cause.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May I share one more interesting fact about Sanskrit language !

The Grammar of sanskrit is so 'well compiled' that there are 7X3=21 verb forms for each, verb.
    It is the only language, in the world with the maximum number of words. (though chinese 'mandarin' is the language in the world, with the maximum number of words, but that is just because, it is still spoken by a huge population and the rate of addition of the words to a language increases when many people speak and there is constant evolution of that language. The English language during the time of Shakespeare had half the number of the words in English than we have today in the English language spoken by us )

The basic Entity of the Sounds that combine to form the Sanskrit language' स्वर ' have evolved from the 'damaru(डमरू)'
    of Shiv ji(Lord Shiva), when the universe was getting formed, it is believed that "Lord Shiv" was performing Natraj Dance(Culture question !!! ), and simultaneously his damaru was being played and from there these 'swar स्वर ' (the basic entity of Sanskrit language was coming out). This is the reason, that it referred to as "Dev Vaani/bhaasha" (the language of Gods ).

Thanks again. Hope you are not bored !!!
  • Thanks @Sanjeev0120

I have found two important urls which can hep the aspirants with Sanskrit as an optional subject !
    http://swapsushias.blogspot.in/2009/08/detailed-stratergy-for-sanskrit-in-upsc.html
    http://www.indianofficer.com/topic/4578-sanskrit-study-material/

It might help other aspirants who have reached here, while surfing for tips/strategy .
  • Hello,

You may also consult Satyendra Singh, IAS (AIR-166), who is active on FB too. You may gather basic info. about him on IAS Passion. he had one of his optional- Literature of Sanskrit Langauage.
  • edited September 2013
    @Doon_20
    Bro,
    Tell me where would you like to have a "treat" from me? Lets meet somewhere. Waiting for your reply.
    How to search him on FB?
  • Hi,

Treat for what? Treat itself has some reason. I candidly don't know the reason behind your treat.

Anyways, how can I tell you to search him on FB. Type- Satyendra Singh, IAS Probationer at Govt. of India and hopefully you shall track him.
  • On a unrelated note, I obtained 100/100 in my 10th board in Sanskrit.
  • I just browsed through some papers. So is there any coaching available for Sanskrit in Delhi?
  • edited September 2013
    @bulla
    Great marks ^:)^

Summary of the research done till now.
    i) There are very few aspirants aspiring with Sanskrit as an optional subject ! Very few guys with this optional are "Frequent internet users". They log into a forum, 'popular among civil services aspirants', ask a question and then never log in, again !!!
    ii) Though the syllabus of Sanskrit appears to be small and easy, but it does requires an effort of "getting fluent in a Language" !!!
    iii) The syllabus of Sanskrit can be divided into two parts "Grammar and Literature" !!! The 'Grammar of Sanskrit appears like dynamic part of GS(needs regular attention)' and 'Literature part appears like static part of GS' !!!
    iv) There is only one known(popular) teacher for Sanskrit optional subject. He is called as "Mr. Dr Rajendra Kumar डकैत ". This डकैत offers the study material compiled by his past students for Rs. 7000 only. He carries out the classes at the rate of Rs. 1000 per class (Duration ~ 1 Hr ). So he is rightly called as a डकैत | He is very rude, as the notes available with him is considered to be of good quality.
    v) There are not many options for an aspirant who wishes to opt for this Optional Subject ! (So you cannot choose among the best).
    vi) Almost 60% of the marks in the question paper comes from the non-easy part. Here the non-easy part refers to the area where you need to show your command over the Language(esssay writing/correcting the sentences) !
    vii) There is not a single blog, on web for the "recommended booklist" for this optional subject. Like we do have for different other optional subjects.
    vii) Still 15 moths are left for the Mains exam, so there is no need to worry about the easy part of the syllabus, ie Literature. I am very sure that If I go to Delhi once, I shall be able to find the "apt study material for Sanskrit". It can be obtained by getting the contact of the "Popular xerox/bookshop"(For CSE ), through internet and then inquiring about the availability of the "Sanskrit study material", by calling the shop.
    viii) The aspirants who are willing to go for this optional subject should start early. They should concentrate on the Grammar part of the syllabus, which is the back bone of the Sanskrit language. This can be done by downloading the sanskrit books of CBSE board, buying any Sanskrit Grammar book from the nearest book shop which is popular among the "class 12th Sanskrit pupils".
    ix) Once an aspirants gets comfortable with the Grammar part, he should practice framing "small sentences in Sanskrit".
    x) The primary attention should still be given on GS syllabus, as it would help us in GS+Essay+Personality test.

I have still not decided to go to Delhi to get the study material, this I shall do after getting well versed with the Grammar part of the syllabus. I will make a plausible booklist(for Sanskrit), after consulting Professors of Sanskrit Universities of Varanasi !!!

If one works hard, one would not regret taking this optional subject. To get a more clear perception, of my interpretation. One should refer to the page number 21 of UPSC CSE-13, Hindi notification, and the previous year "sanskrit" question papers.

Note: Today I came to know that a "blog" in Hindi is known as चिट्ठा ( chittha ) !!!

• which is better dharmendra sir costly notes or panini classes of kailash sir
  • edited November 2013
    @birunits

NONE.(My Opinion)

Though I have never been to these coaching institutes. I shall not suggest anyone to join anyone to join any coaching. In the one of the above comments, I have replied to BombayPirate, is the only real way to get good marks in Sanskrit optional subject.

The only plus point with attending a coaching institute is, You shall be able see the answersheet of the previous years toppers from their institute, which is not available in the shops of Mukherjee nagar or ORN. They do not let the sheets of the previous year's toppers to be taken away by any means by the present students(so that it does not reach to the shops of Delhi, popular for CSE aspirants).

You are not going to get good marks if you read the coaching notes of the Panini IAS available in the Shops of Delhi. If the CSE examiners feel the that two answersheets have a similar kind of answers than, it won't be good for the aspirant.

This is done by UPSC to curb the effect of coaching institutes on the CSE preparation, likewise they have started asking more opinion based or dynamic questions for the similar reason.

One simple question that an aspirant should ask to himself, would anyone be able to learn a language in just 2 months? Certainly NO. These coaching institutes have a duration of just 2 months AFAIK.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

मैं आज तक किसी भी संस्कृत के कोचिंग वाले दूकान में नहीं गया हूँ । मैं किसी भी सहपाठी को भी इन दुकानों में जाने कि ना तो राय देता हूँ और ना ही प्रोत्साहित करता हूँ ।

ऊपर लिखे एक टिप्प्णी में मैंने 'संस्कृत की तैयारी' के बारे में विस्तृत रूप से बताया है, जो कि काफी हद तक सही है ।

मेरे विचार से कोचिंग करने से बस एक ही फायदा होता है कि, वे लोग अपने पुरातन छात्रों का जिनका कि संघ लोक सेवा आयोग के 'नागरिक सेवा परीक्षा ' में चयन हो गया है, उनकी उत्तर पुस्तिकाओं की छाया प्रति अपने नवांगतुक छात्रों को दिखाते हैं जिससे कि छात्र परीक्षा में अपने प्रदर्शन कि स्थिति पहचान पाए और ज़रूरी क्षेत्रों में सुधार कर पाएं ।

जैसा कि हम जानते हैं कि विभिन्न प्रकार के कोचिंगों के लेख दिल्ली कि दुकानों में उपलब्ध रहते हैं । पर संस्कृत के ये लेख कोचिंग वाले किसी भी प्रकार से अपने संस्थान से बाहर नहीं जाने देते ।

कोचिंग संसथानों के प्रभाव को घटाने के लिए संघ लोक सेवा आयोग ने कुछ नैतिक कदम उठाए हैं, जैसे कि प्रश्न पत्रों में राय आधारित प्रश्नों का पूछे जाना और परिवर्तनात्मक प्रश्नों के पूछे जाने पर ज़ोर ।

एक और कारण से इन कोचिंगों से पढ़ना फलदाई नहीं हो सकता है क्योंकि अगर दो अभियर्थियों का उत्तर एक सा प्रतीत होता है तो दोनों अभियाथीयों को कम अंक देने के संघ से सख्त निर्देश दिए गए रहते हैं ।

मैं अपने मित्रों का ध्यान इधर भी दिलाना चाहूंगा कि क्या ये वास्तिविक रूप से सम्भव है कि कोई भी दो महीने के कम समय में किसी भाषा पर पकड़ बना पाए ?

मुझे तो ऐसी बातें बेमानी सी लगती हैं ।

शुभकामनाएं
  • hi,
    can i write sanskrit paper in devanagari. I am writing in english medium.?? please help
  • @wonder2014
    Sanskrit language is written in Devnagri Script.
    One can write Sanskrit in Devnagri Script irrespective of the language used for the other papers of mains exam.
    I will write GS papers of my first mains(2014) exam in English and Sanskrit optional paper in Devnagri script.
  • anybody active on this thread...???
  • @abhithepandey bro how was your pre exam?

• @abhithepandey i am new to sanskrit but i had sanskrit optional in 10th class, intermediate. i scored 98/100 , 98/100 both in 1st year and second year. took 10 day sanskrit spoken class fromsanskriti bharathi. could i take sanskrit as optional ?
  • कृपया संस्कृत (UPSC-Optional) से संबंधित पुस्तकों की सूची (जानकारी ) देने की कृपा करें | धन्यवाद !
    Jey Mitra
  • books for sanskrit ?????@abhithepandey
  • @bulla

i) There are very few aspirants aspiring with Sanskrit as an optional subject ! Very few guys with this optional are "Frequent internet users". They log into a forum, 'popular among civil services aspirants', ask a question and then never log in, again !!!
    ii) Though the syllabus of Sanskrit appears to be small and easy, but it does requires an effort of "getting fluent in a Language" !!!
    iii) The syllabus of Sanskrit can be divided into two parts "Grammar and Literature" !!! The 'Grammar of Sanskrit appears like dynamic part of GS(needs regular attention)' and 'Literature part appears like static part of GS' !!!
    iv) There is only one known(popular) teacher for Sanskrit optional subject. He is called as "Mr. Dr Rajendra Kumar डकैत ". This डकैत offers the study material compiled by his past students for Rs. 7000 only. He carries out the classes at the rate of Rs. 1000 per class (Duration ~ 1 Hr ). So he is rightly called as a डकैत | He is very rude, as the notes available with him is considered to be of good quality.
    v) There are not many options for an aspirant who wishes to opt for this Optional Subject ! (So you cannot choose among the best).
    vi) Almost 60% of the marks in the question paper comes from the non-easy part. Here the non-easy part refers to the area where you need to show your command over the Language(esssay writing/correcting the sentences) !
    vii) There is not a single blog, on web for the "recommended booklist" for this optional subject. Like we do have for different other optional subjects.
    vii) Still 15 moths are left for the Mains exam, so there is no need to worry about the easy part of the syllabus, ie Literature. I am very sure that If I go to Delhi once, I shall be able to find the "apt study material for Sanskrit". It can be obtained by getting the contact of the "Popular xerox/bookshop"(For CSE ), through internet and then inquiring about the availability of the "Sanskrit study material", by calling the shop.
    viii) The aspirants who are willing to go for this optional subject should start early. They should concentrate on the Grammar part of the syllabus, which is the back bone of the Sanskrit language. This can be done by downloading the sanskrit books of CBSE board, buying any Sanskrit Grammar book from the nearest book shop which is popular among the "class 12th Sanskrit pupils".
    ix) Once an aspirants gets comfortable with the Grammar part, he should practice framing "small sentences in Sanskrit".
    x) The primary attention should still be given on GS syllabus, as it would help us in GS+Essay+Personality test.

I have still not decided to go to Delhi to get the study material, this I shall do after getting well versed with the Grammar part of the syllabus. I will make a plausible booklist(for Sanskrit), after consulting Professors of Sanskrit Universities of Varanasi !!!

If one works hard, one would not regret taking this optional subject. To get a more clear perception, of my interpretation. One should refer to the page number 21 of UPSC CSE-13, Hindi notification, and the previous year "sanskrit" question papers.

Note: Today I came to know that a "blog" in Hindi is known as चिट्ठा ( chittha ) !!!

I am interested in the Sanskrit language because of its scientific approach ( As I am a computer science student, I can understand its future value). I saw its grammar portion with UPSC syllabus, I can handle and mug up the grammar portion, but I dont have even decent vocablary in Sanskrit. I want just 2-5 minut interaction with you regarding the optional. Please contact me on 8982831271 or on hariomgehlot214@gmail.com PLEASE
  • hari_om said:

@bulla

I am interested in the Sanskrit language because of its scientific approach ( As I am a computer science student, I can understand its future value). I saw its grammar portion with UPSC syllabus, I can handle and mug up the grammar portion, but I don't have even decent vocabulary in Sanskrit. I want just 2-5 minutes interaction with you regarding the optional. Please contact me on 8982831271 or on hariomgehlot214@gmail.com PLEASE
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google