Kimberley Process Intersessional Meeting 2019 in Mumbai SVEEP Nodal Officers from across the country meet to deliberate upon the blueprint for the next five years Cross-border data movement under new law may be allowed on basis of reciprocity: Prasad Cabinet approves New Delhi International Arbitration Centre Bill,2019 Trade deficit widens to $15.36 bn in May
ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

How to Learn English?

I was watching tharoor's speech at Oxford and was mesmerized by his oratory skills. Can someone here kindly provide some guidance how to speak like tharoor sir!

@eiago @andy133 @Neyawn @pizza @JohnSnow @DrKingSchultz @TheWhiteTiger and others...
Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.

Comments

• If I am allowed to, you can not speak like Tharoor sir. If you try, you will end up aping him, frustrating yourself in the long run. Develop your own style. For that to happen, polish the common denominator among all the great orators - fluency.

As seen and heard, fluency is premised on one's diction and comfort level with the language. Diction or say, pronunciation of words is very important. An example may be like say, 'debris'. Dont end up reading it as D-E-B-R-I-S, and making a similar sound of it. It is pronounced with 's' silent as D-E-B-R-I. Likewise, when you speak, speak as if English is your language. Let it flow naturally from you much like the way we speak our mother tongues.

While speaking or talking or having a colloquy, make sure that your body language goes in sync with your speech. You are not only your mouth, but includes everything from head to toe. Each one of them complement the other.

These are small facts but very important because these tiny things are the building blocks to ensure that one speaks as though the world is his audience, with Tharoor sir in the audience.
    Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh. Ramesh. Suresh. Rakesh
  • @TatkalService thank you for sharing your views man. :)
  • Grammar you can learn from any book.
    Vocabulary and application of words can be improved by wide reading.

The style of speaking has two facets, your natural tone and your adaptive tone.

Adaptive tone can be learnt by keen observing, Everytime you hear someone, notice the difference in your natural tone and their tone. It will help you learn different ways of speaking.

Listen to how ab de Villiers speaks, it's unique, his pronunciation is very soft.
    Similarly listen to people from carribean, they stress a lot on few words.
    Listen to British accent, they tend to drag a few words.
    Listen to American English, listen to how people in the hood go about their English, how they make it sound cool without even having proper grammar.

It's all about observing. The more you do that, the more you learn. Stand Infront of a mirror and keep talking in new ways, try and see if you are able to do what u learnt from observations. Keep practicing, talk to people outside in those accents, get out of your comfort level. You will sound amazing one fine day :)
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • @pizza and @TatkalService
    I did not mean immitate him or follow the British accent, I meant I would like to speak with the fluency he speaks also his diction and pronunciation is very vivid. Every word was clearly audible. I would like to learn how to speak in that manner.
  • @pizza and @TatkalService
    I did not mean immitate him or follow the British accent, I meant I would like to speak with the fluency he speaks also his diction and pronunciation is very vivid. Every word was clearly audible. I would like to learn how to speak in that manner.

Same thing. Observation and practice.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • I was watching tharoor's speech at Oxford and was mesmerized by his oratory skills. Can someone here kindly provide some guidance how to speak like tharoor sir!

@eiago @andy133 @Neyawn @pizza @JohnSnow @DrKingSchultz @TheWhiteTiger and others...

You dont realise that it is not his English that mesmerised you. It is his ideas that did. And his choice of words.

To begin with, you will need to think like him.

Maybe then, you can write like him and then perhaps speak like him.

I dont know.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Woodpecker dost...sabko tag kar diya..tharoor ko bhi kar dete..dude hamara oratory skill thoda weak hai...
  • I personally think ,Any one can learn a language, but to be eloquent as shashi tharoor is, it takes more of thinking process to be clear and confidence along with patience.

I think after reading books one can easily learn english and strengthen vocabulary too..but expression part is more of a thought process and temperement..weaving a web of words which can be effective is something which comes only with observation, no matter how hard you try, books cannot teach you that.

Also the fact that how you utilise the energy, whether you want to be forceful as someone like arnab does or someone like tharoor. you will never see him agitated- tharoor i mean...

but the most important part is ideas. no matter how you put it, but you would never sound cool if you would say anything bigotted...so try to be moderate too..
  • Waise jitni English Ias etc banne ko chahiye hum sabko aati hi h

Screenshot_2017-01-15-20-53-09-1.png
    595 x 657 - 313K
    London main barish bata ke nahi aati
  • Woodpecker dost...sabko tag kar diya..tharoor ko bhi kar dete..dude hamara oratory skill thoda weak hai...

Tharoor sir ko Twitter pe message bheja tha. Wo bhadak gaye they. :'(
  • Neyawn said:

I was watching tharoor's speech at Oxford and was mesmerized by his oratory skills. Can someone here kindly provide some guidance how to speak like tharoor sir!

You dont realise that it is not his English that mesmerised you. It is his ideas that did. And his choice of words.

To begin with, you will need to think like him.

Maybe then, you can write like him and then perhaps speak like him.

I dont know.
    True.. His words and the way he presented his ideas indeed. :)
  • He has given that same speech numerous times before, he had an opinion about it from a long time. He just polished it and presented it at the Oxford Union. He's vocabulary is impeccable too.
  • bhai he has spent more than 25 years abroad,so its natural that he will speak with british accent and rich vocab.
    we hardly converse in english in our daytoday life or at home etc.

what was his reply exactly? :)
  • 1. Watch tv shows.Especially court room dramas.Those people are trying to effectively put across arguments.They speak clearly.They enunciate.
    Also watch CNN/BBC talkshows , RSTV debates.I am a firm believer in the fact that if you hear good english, you speak good english.You do not need to go abroad.Just need an internet connection.

2.Look at stand-up comedy videos on youtube.Stand up comedians have to speak for an hour and they have to clearly express otherwise no one would get the jokes.Added benefit : you will not get bored!

3. Read editorials out loud, as if you were teaching someone.

4. When reading Gs,explain what you are reading out loud.

5. Most important: confidently make mistakes so your brain has a feedback loop that helps it to correct itself.
    Basics can be learnt from the books.

Use Wordpower made easy by Norman Lewis.Infact all his books are useful.

The hidden secret to speak like Tharoor is this : Emotive Enunciation.When speaking key words in a sentence use emotion behind them and enunciate properly.

Say I say: India is a land of sages and cows.
    The subjects and objects have to be enunciated clearly and an appropriate emotion has to be linked with it.for India it could be pride(your voice goes high) , for sages you could lower you tone and for cows you could speak up a bit(and give a smile in the end)This is just an example you can create your own style by regulating your emotions and words together.

For more: check out How to argue and win every time , its a good book.

This has helped me.Hope it will help you too.
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • edited January 2017
    Jo bolna hai dil se bolo confidence ke sath with a clear mind and clear ideas. Har ek ka style unique hota hai, you never know you will end up someday inspiring peacock and hummingbird in some forumips. Grammar and vocabulary improve kar lo, it will take 1 year at most. Keep practicing even in beginning you are wrong or hesitate. Let people make fun but you keep practicing. More you pracrtice, better you become. Record your english in voice recorder of mobile, listen it and improve. ATB
    Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
  • jambooics said:

Woodpecker dost...sabko tag kar diya..tharoor ko bhi kar dete..dude hamara oratory skill thoda weak hai...

what was his reply exactly? :)
    He said how many times I have to clarify I was not in the movie "andaaj apna apna". :D :D :D
  • Burger said:

Jo bolna hai dil se bolo confidence ke sath with a clear mind and clear ideas. Har ek ka style unique hota hai, you never know you will end up someday inspiring peacock and hummingbird in some forumips. Grammar and vocabulary improve kar lo, it will take 1 year at most. Keep practicing even in beginning you are wrong or hesitate. Let people make fun but you keep practicing. More you pracrtice, better you become. Record your english in voice recorder of mobile, listen it and improve. ATB

Thank you man. Working on that. :)
  • mujhe bhi koi angrezi sikha do :'( :'( :'(
  • the_hindu said:

mujhe bhi koi angrezi sikha do :'( :'( :'(

Hume to yahi jaante they k hindu k angreji sabse aachi hai :p
  • I was watching tharoor's speech at Oxford and was mesmerized by his oratory skills. Can someone here kindly provide some guidance how to speak like tharoor sir!

You have to join Khangrez and work for Madamji.
    merc_benz said:

Waise jitni English Ias etc banne ko chahiye hum sabko aati hi h

2nd best option.
    Dead and departed general caste player. RIP.
  • the_hindu said:

Kassm se? B)

Screenshot_2017-01-16-15-42-08-1.png
    732 x 571 - 423K
    London main barish bata ke nahi aati
  • merc_benz said:

the_hindu said:

Kassm se? B)

@merc_benz aise angrezi sikhaayega bachchon ko :smirk:
  • tharoor ka book pax indica to koi khaas nahi laga. aur yeh sab hype ke beech yeh na bhule that he is alleged to be a cold blooded murderer accused of murdering such a lovely wife :s
  • Why to be a "dahi bhalla" when you can become fried split black gram dumpling smothered with sweetened yoghurt, tamarind and mint sauce.
  • hows pax indica?
    worth a read?
    is it in storyline form or factual typ?
    or like those novels which get booker bt we dn undrstnd y :p
    He is out there holding your hand...
  • edited January 2017
    peace said:

hows pax indica?
    worth a read?

read it and dint like it. :tongue: language is very simple, unlike what i expected.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • peace said:

hows pax indica?
    worth a read?

Not good. Not worth the investment.
  • ok any other of his books?
    He is out there holding your hand...
  • edited January 2017
    peace said:

ok any other of his books?

India shashtra is better. Small 2-3page essays about education, society and modi.
    Guha's books are more relevant to cse and are interesting to read too.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google