MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Wullar Barrage Issue

edited August 2013 in Current Affairs
What is the issue? As far as I understand, there is a lake named Wullar, whose source is Jhelum. During winters, levels in Jhelum drop far too low to allow for any navigation.

India holds that the barrage can take water away from the lake and increase the flow in Jhelum, making it navigable.
Pakistan holds that India can therefore, control the flow in the river and hence, use it as a geo-strategic weapon. This is a violation of the Indus Water Treaty.

In what way is my idea wrong?
I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    What gives you the idea that your idea is wrong?

Some additional inputs:
    The barrage also has the potential to disrupt the triple canal project of Pakistan-Upper Jhelum Canal, Upper Chenab Canal and the Lower Bari Doab Canal.

According to the original Indian plan, the barrage was expected to be of 439-feet long and 40-feet wide, and would have a maximum storage capacity of 0.30 million acres feet of water.

Pakistan's View: With some 95 per cent of its river water originating or running through Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistan can hardly ignore Wullar Barrage. It claims India is violating the Indus Water Treaty of 1960 that was signed after international negotiations.

India's View: Says it is not an effort to divert water flowing into Pakistan. The project is to make the river navigable during summer.

Progress: Pakistan took the case to Indus Waters Commission in 1986, a year later it admitted its failure to resolve the issue. Before Pakistan moved International Arbitral Court, India stopped construction.

Eight rounds of talks have been held till now. The ninth round is being held from July 29, 2004.

(Source: Times of India & Rediff.com)
    Sharpen your axe, before cutting down the tree...
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog