MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY   FRESH BATCH BEGINS WITH FREE SEMINAR:5TH JAN'19 @ 11 AM
MITRASIAS: 39 PUSA ROAD SAMAYAK TOWER OPP. METRO PILLAR 120
Further Details Please Call us: 01145505509

Sociology Discussion Thread for 2017 Mains

Comments

• federer said:

My strategy or plan

1. Mental preparation - Dont divide the syllabus in two.Let it be a whole continuum.

I focussed more attention towards so-called " Paper 1 syllabus ". "So called " because there is no such dichotomy or even distinctness in both papers' syllabus as most of freshers prepare like.This is "mental preparation" part.

2. Actual execution

I took coaching from vajiram for sociology;though I didnt take any GS coaching.However Vajiram sociology coaching was just okayish.He taught "paper 1" "not so good".However he covered Indian sociology nicely.

So what I did is that after sociology coaching got over I devoted 3 months exclusively to sociology notesmaking.I made TOPICWISE extensive notes from haralambos(new edition),(read nd underlined rest parts), ritzer (a gem of a book.must read for thinkers) , IGNOU ESO and two booklets of MSO .It took me around 3 months.i covered 100% syllabus for Paper 1 and 60% for Paper 2- all in my own exhaustive notes.However it gave me a rock solid bed for both sociology papers.Rest 40% Paper 2 syllabus(which didnt match with paper 1),i covered from vajiram old notes,class notes and sindhuri mam's notes(ache h).I underlined and marked d pages which covered my that 40% paper 2 syllabus.So now,all set.Weeds separated.

I didnt read any books for paper 2,to be honest .though i did read about indian sociologists(mentioned in syllabus) from internet and made notes of them.Make notes of whtever u read,in sociology.It adds value to ur knowledge and answers.
    Keep adding to your notes based on current happenings.

Now what i did was - kept all books aside nd just read my own notes and what i underlined in other notes for 40% syllabus for paper 2.i revised them 6-7 times.First revision took 7 days and final revisions took just 5 hours,before sociology mains.Finally those 3 months toiling seemed to give rewards.So having a definite and compact material to revise is I think most important thing.And what better than your own notes- believe me,it will leave your mark in your answers and mke them stand out.your concepts will become CRYSTAL CLEAR when you will make notes of any topic.Believe me.If you dont,just try making notes of any topic and see for yourself.

And stick to the syllabus.I would say not to read much books.3-4 books are more than enough along with IGNOU(ESO and selectively MSO) material.Haralambos,ritzer are must.

3. Writing practice

For answer writing,i joined vision test series after prelims.Again,they organise it well.Especially i would highly recommend to atleast read their solved tests for PAPER 2.Some nice answers for most of the topics.I would say,do join a test series if you are a first timer.Join any.

Rest I wrote in my copy,all topicwise questions right from 1970.Read them all nd framed their answers in my mind.this is very important exercise.atleast do last five years papers.you will feel confident.

And i used my sociological knowledge well in my both essays,I think.Hehe.learn the technique of generalising the sociology to use it in GS.its pretty helpful to add necessay fodder and a different angle.
    Linking current with socio is pretty important to keep your answers crisp and fresh.But DONT OVERDO IT in your answers.

So summary of above long post -

1. Cover most of syllabus as one whole

2. Have your own notes, atleast for some high yielding topics.

3. Clear the concepts of paper 1.Dont rush here.You can rush later

4. Revise as much as u can.

5. Keep answer simple but unique.

will tell my approach to actually writing an answer next time.That is very important part as sociology is on way to become most crowded optional.thank you for reading this.hehe.Cheers !!

And if you want to know source for covering any topic of syllabus,let me know.will tell you the best source for that topic,which helped me.

bhai mera to sociology hai bhi ni .still padha maine ... good yaar :)
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

https://sudhirgahlot.wordpress.com
  • federer said:

federer said:

My strategy or plan

1. Mental preparation - Dont divide the syllabus in two.Let it be a whole continuum.

I focussed more attention towards so-called " Paper 1 syllabus ". "So called " because there is no such dichotomy or even distinctness in both papers' syllabus as most of freshers prepare like.This is "mental preparation" part.

2. Actual execution

I took coaching from vajiram for sociology;though I didnt take any GS coaching.However Vajiram sociology coaching was just okayish.He taught "paper 1" "not so good".However he covered Indian sociology nicely.

So what I did is that after sociology coaching got over I devoted 3 months exclusively to sociology notesmaking.I made TOPICWISE extensive notes from haralambos(new edition),(read nd underlined rest parts), ritzer (a gem of a book.must read for thinkers) , IGNOU ESO and two booklets of MSO .It took me around 3 months.i covered 100% syllabus for Paper 1 and 60% for Paper 2- all in my own exhaustive notes.However it gave me a rock solid bed for both sociology papers.Rest 40% Paper 2 syllabus(which didnt match with paper 1),i covered from vajiram old notes,class notes and sindhuri mam's notes(ache h).I underlined and marked d pages which covered my that 40% paper 2 syllabus.So now,all set.Weeds separated.

I didnt read any books for paper 2,to be honest .though i did read about indian sociologists(mentioned in syllabus) from internet and made notes of them.Make notes of whtever u read,in sociology.It adds value to ur knowledge and answers.

Now what i did was - kept all books aside nd just read my own notes and what i underlined in other notes for 40% syllabus for paper 2.i revised them 6-7 times.First revision took 7 days and final revisions took just 5 hours,before sociology mains.Finally those 3 months toiling seemed to give rewards.So having a definite and compact material to revise is I think most important thing.And what better than your own notes- believe me,it will leave your mark in your answers and mke them stand out.your concepts will become CRYSTAL CLEAR when you will make notes of any topic.Believe me.If you dont,just try making notes of any topic and see for yourself.

And stick to the syllabus.I would say not to read much books.3-4 books are more than enough along with IGNOU(ESO and selectively MSO) material.Haralambos,ritzer are must.

3. Writing practice

For answer writing,i joined vision test series after prelims.Again,they organise it well.Especially i would highly recommend to atleast read their solved tests for PAPER 2.Some nice answers for most of the topics.I would say,do join a test series if you are a first timer.Join any.

Rest I wrote in my copy,all topicwise questions right from 1970.Read them all nd framed their answers in my mind.this is very important exercise.atleast do last five years papers.you will feel confident.

And i used my sociological knowledge well in my both essays,I think.Hehe.learn the technique of generalising the sociology to use it in GS.its pretty helpful to add necessay fodder and a different angle.
    Linking current with socio is pretty important to keep your answers crisp and fresh.But DONT OVERDO IT in your answers.

will tell my approach to actually writing an answer next time.That is very important part as sociology is on way to become most crowded optional.thank you for reading this.hehe.Cheers !!

And if you want to know source for covering any topic of syllabus,let me know.will tell you the best source for that topic,which helped me.

bhai mera to sociology hai bhi ni .still padha maine ... good yaar :)
    Ab tu to bhai h apna.padhega hi.hahaha.
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

• Any good, crisp reading for AGIL ?
  • Any good, crisp reading for AGIL ?

Read Vajiram old notes(2002,i think) ; not their current notes.yiu can find that in ORN in photocopy.i assure u that nowhere else u will find parsons explained better and simpler than this.i searched many sources but parsons remained an enigma,until this.i think thats total 40-50 pages for all concepts of parsons.As good as it gets.Thanks.Maza aa jaega padhke and you will feel parsons as easiest.This time too there were some intrresting questions on parsons.
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

• Bhai regarding answer writing , i have heard that vajiram has provided a very interactive platform for practising mains questions where students can post their answers and it is reviewed by vajiram staff as well as fellow students on daily basis. It can be a very good platform to find your weaknesses and see the best possible answers.

• sigma said:

Bhai regarding answer writing , i have heard that vajiram has provided a very interactive platform for practising mains questions where students can post their answers and it is reviewed by vajiram staff as well as fellow students on daily basis. It can be a very good platform to find your weaknesses and see the best possible answers.

Vajiram person.Cheap/poor marketing
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

• federer said:

My strategy or plan

2. Actual execution

3. Writing practice

federer said:

My strategy or plan

2. Actual execution

3. Writing practice

Thanks for sharing. Best of luck for interview.
  • Can any one explain the term Ethnomethodoglogy.

As far as my understanding goes , Ethnomethodology is a methodology used in sociological research which focuses on using 'people's methods' that is takig into consideration the language they use and symbols and meanings attached to it.
    For example take the term 'ram-ram' generally used as a greeting in norhern india , now w/o taking local's meaning into consideration researcher must find it bizzare why someone will call God twice on seeing someone :tongue: but for the local it is just a greeting ,that is used to greet someone in an informal day to day maner.Understanding such nuances about 'subject's' culture can give researcher a Better understanding of researched society.

I hope I was clear any further doubt/,discussion most welcome ..
    :smile:

Nicely explained bestattempt. Mahapatra sir in Vajiram explained it exceptionally well. One can go through his notes to understand it in a better way
  • federer said:

My strategy or plan

2. Actual execution

3. Writing practice

Wow! Thanks this is brilliantly put!! But I have one very important question- when did you invest these 3 months? How did you manage doing GS also alongside? I would do it too..but its always the time management issue with me. Please help.
    How did you manage being so meticulous? Did you finish the syllabus first and then later joined the test series or did you do the two together?
    All the best with interview! Take this hardworking, innovative and professional personality along and you will definitely sail through! Afterall this is what our nation needs...
  • Thankyou @khatoonkamyab bro for the encouraging words.I completed my graduation in june 2014.I was underage even for 2015 attempt as was only 19 years,then. so i knew i have two years in hand as 2016 would be my first shot.That gave me solace and peace of mind.Then spent 2 months in deciding oprional.Then joined vajiram sociology coaching in august.but did not join GS coaching.I live in haryana so it meant 4 hours of travelling to and fro for class.So from august-december,I did nothing other than sitting in sociology class.Half heartedly.

I started preparation in december,being at home.

1. I gave those 3 months from april-june 2015

I didnt do any gs other than current affairs in these 3 months.

However for rest of time,maintain a balance.Dont put optional on hold till it gets too late.Give it two hours daily,even after first reading of full syllabus.Revision is key in optional.

2. Joined sociology test series after 2016 pre.

3. For time management,the best thing i can suggest you is to start waking up early like 6 am and starting studies quickly.believe me,you dont need any other better advice than this.Take rest in the day.Have fun too.Hehe.

So best of luck for your attempt.Gain clarity in optional.The best way is your own notes.May be you can make them for just half of syllabus of only Paper 1.Thats enough.Not much need for paper 2 specific OWN notes,if dont have time

Rank 42 , CSE 2017

Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

• federer said:

Any good, crisp reading for AGIL ?

Read Vajiram old notes(2002,i think) ; not their current notes.yiu can find that in ORN in photocopy.i assure u that nowhere else u will find parsons explained better and simpler than this.i searched many sources but parsons remained an enigma,until this.i think thats total 40-50 pages for all concepts of parsons.As good as it gets.Thanks.Maza aa jaega padhke and you will feel parsons as easiest.This time too there were some intrresting questions on parsons.
    Thnx for the feedback
  • federer said:

My strategy or plan

2. Actual execution

3. Writing practice

Thanks a lot for sharing in such detail. It shows hard work definitely pays up. Congratulations on your success, I'm sure you'll secure good rank.

Please do share your answer writing approach.
    How did you create thought framework/structure for each answers and what all you did to make your answers stand out , is it necessary to quote thinkers ( I didnt and failed, could this be a reason ? )
  • Especially about compulsory questions in both papers, how do you tackle them ? (Sociological perspective )
  • Will write on answer writing part very soon bro.
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

• Suggested book list for sociology - people?
  • Can any one suggest good online test series for sociology... I am not based in Delhi so can't join offline.
  • Suggested book list

1. Harlombos and Holborn.new edition.I can give you chapters numbers to read,which cant be missed at any cost.

2. George ritzer , just for those 5 thinkers(excluding parsons).The best book for thinkers' analytical understanding.BUT READ IT ONLY AFTER READING ESO 13.PLEASE.

3. MSO for some very very selective studies.You can ignore it.No problem

4. ESO for thinkers(highly important) .Also for stratification part too its good.Best use of ESO can be made for picking up case studies for paper 2 and reading between the lines to get into the heart of a concept.Will make your answers stand apart.I can give you booklet numbers which are to be read,if you want.

I recommend only these books.because i believe that aport from these books,reading any book will give very very poor ROI.

Best way out to FILL THE GAPS would be to search for a topic online if you dont get satisfied.In sociology,satisfying yourself about "understanding the topic" is pretty imp to get confidence.Atleast,i believe in this.

Sindhuri Mam notes too are good for paper 2.Read them at a pace.

Please dont refer any coaching notes for thinkers part and infact for whole Paper 1 syllabus.Will weaken your base and you will go in wrong direction.Read those 3 sources for it.

Thank you.Cheers !!
    Rank 42 , CSE 2017

Live intensely.
    Dont become.Be

• federer said:

Suggested book list

1. Harlombos and Holborn.new edition.I can give you chapters numbers to read,which cant be missed at any cost.

2. George ritzer , just for those 5 thinkers(excluding parsons).The best book for thinkers' analytical understanding.BUT READ IT ONLY AFTER READING ESO 13.PLEASE.

4. ESO for thinkers(highly important) .Also for stratification part too its good.Best use of ESO can be made for picking up case studies for paper 2 and reading between the lines to get into the heart of a concept.Will make your answers stand apart.I can give you booklet numbers which are to be read,if you want.

I recommend only these books.because i believe that aport from these books,reading any book will give very very poor ROI.

Best way out to FILL THE GAPS would be to search for a topic online if you dont get satisfied.In sociology,satisfying yourself about "understanding the topic" is pretty imp to get confidence.Atleast,i believe in this.

Please dont refer any coaching notes for thinkers part and infact for whole Paper 1 syllabus.Will weaken your base and you will go in wrong direction.Read those 3 sources for it.

Thank you.Cheers !!

Are there any significant changes in the newest edition of Harlombos from the older ones?

Waiting for the day...
  • federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

Thanks @Fedrer for you excellent guidance on sociology.
    Your writing on this thread is a source of inspiration.
    Can you please elaborate more on Point 1, i.e Chapters numbers to read ?
    At Point 2, reading from ESO 13 - Is it supposed to be covered fully including Malinowski/ Radcliffe or excluding them.

Also, can you elaborate how syllabus should be targeted i.e syllabus wise or Thinkers First.

Regards
  • Aytas said:

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

At Point 2, reading from ESO 13 - Is it supposed to be covered fully including Malinowski/ Radcliffe or excluding them.

Also, can you elaborate how syllabus should be targeted i.e syllabus wise or Thinkers First.

Regards

@Aytas for covering syllabus as feder has already mentioned that it should be in integrated manner Paper1 & Paper2 for more information on integration you can read this blog (10 SLOTS for both paper independent + dependent units):-
    https://princedhawan.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/strategy-for-sociology-by-mr-rajanvir-singh-kapur-air-92/

I think reading ESO 13 helps a lot in developing a good grasp over thinkers part.

Rest other members can add their view point.

• @akrao_iimb @choudhary_007 @Geheimnisse @never_back_down @MD47 @Kisaan @diablo2 @raksha @Jaime_Lannister @aman131 @GlobalBaba @

Your Suggestions are most welcome from experience of 2016 Mains Paper

my first attempt 2017.. self preparation
    My best wishes are with you, but my personal experience says that one should take proper coaching before giving the attempt. The logic behind is, it aligns ones focus towards the exam only. I did it in Vajiram, where Mahapatra sir had coached us, and I could feel the difference in the attempts I took with n without coaching. Infact Upendra sir is also very good with Sociology optional. If you want you may give a try to any of them or any other. All the best.
  • i dont stay in delhi and havent taken coaching for sociology ! many people have suggested me mahapatra sirs notes for paper 2!would it be relevant without taking his coaching ? i was thinking IGNOU and c n shankar rao would be good enough for paper 2! please suggest guys

Well, Mahapatra sir's notes are good enough for Paper II. For Paper I his notes along with text books like Antony Giddens and Haralambos(Orange cover) would work. If you can then take the classes, otherwise these things are likely to work for you if followed religiously.
  • yaar koi sociology ke liye kitabe bata do aur please material khuch available hai toh post kr do

Haralambos(Orange cover), Antony Giddens, notes of Mahapatra sir and Upendra sir - paper I
    Ram Ahuja, notes of Mahapatra sir - Paper II
  • Can someone please please tell when will new batch of upendra sir's classes start?
  • Ferdinand said:

Hai I am preparing for 2017 CSE my optional is sociology any ideawhich is the best material available in the market to study??

Hi Ferdinand
    For Paper I, Haralambos(Orange cover), Antony Giddens, notes of Mahapatra sir and Upendra Sir
    For Paper II, Ram Ahuja, notes of Mahapatra sir
  • Can someone please guide me as to which all test series will be starting in March, how is the discussion part and are they online/offline ?

Thanks for ur guidance

For Mains, Vajiram has started its test series, the next test will be held on March 6th as per my information.
    Vision too had extended the date of it's mains test series till last week of April I guess. Others I dont find worth mentioning.
  • Ferdinand said:

Hai I am preparing for 2017 CSE my optional is sociology any ideawhich is the best material available in the market to study??

Hi Ferdinand
    For Paper I, Haralambos(Orange cover), Antony Giddens, notes of Mahapatra sir and Upendra Sir
    For Paper II, Ram Ahuja, notes of Mahapatra sir
    Hi optimist, do you mean the printed or the written notes of Mahapatra Sir?
    pdf
    pdf
    Phenomenology_and_Linguistics.pdf
  • Aytas said:

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

Regards

@Aytas for covering syllabus as feder has already mentioned that it should be in integrated manner Paper1 & Paper2 for more information on integration you can read this blog (10 SLOTS for both paper independent + dependent units):-
    https://princedhawan.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/strategy-for-sociology-by-mr-rajanvir-singh-kapur-air-92/

I think reading ESO 13 helps a lot in developing a good grasp over thinkers part.

Rest other members can add their view point.

Thanks
  • Aytas said:

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

federer said:

Suggested book list

Thank you.Cheers !!

Regards
    But aren't Sinduri maám's notes too difficult to comprehend? considering the handwriting and the poor alignment of topics?

If I'm doing Mahapatra sir's notes, should that suffice? Can I skip sinduri in that case? Also, can you throw some light on the important chapters from IGNOU particularly for paper 2..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog