MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY   FRESH BATCH BEGINS WITH FREE SEMINAR:5TH JAN'19 @ 11 AM
MITRASIAS: 39 PUSA ROAD SAMAYAK TOWER OPP. METRO PILLAR 120
Further Details Please Call us: 01145505509

Sociology Discussion Thread for 2017 Mains

Comments

• Aim_2017 said:

How do we attach a previous comment, to which we want to give a reply???

Use quote option below that comment
  • Aim_2017 said:

How do we attach a previous comment, to which we want to give a reply???

Use quote option below that comment
    Ok..thanks...got it
  • Nice to see thread is getting some response @all please keep posting :smile:
    @unbeatable I guess for politics and society along with basic concepts of paper 1 we need to Keep focus on the recent changing dynamics of politics .....in current scenario ... e.g ---> Personality cult [T.N], Protest over jalikattu etc......Jat agitation
    and Work and economic life and research is given well in haralamboss along with it IGNOU will suffice the need

Can you please post some questions everyday, on which we can post answers....the thread is again becoming dormant
  • According to Durkheim what is the function of crime ?

When someone commits a crime, he harms the collective conscience of the society. Collective conscience of our society endorses to the rules of law. Therefore, when someone commits a crime, it shakes the belief of people in their collective conscience. It weakens people's faith in collective conscience. To restore people's faith, the society punishes these deviants so that people's faith in collective conscience is restored and it strengthens the sanctity of rules of law. For e.g. if someone violating traffic rules is punished, it restores our faith in rules of law and strengthens our commitment to collective conscience.

Read it ...
    https://kpulawandsociety.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/durkheim-crime-serves-a-social-function/

STOP USING FAKE PROFILE PHOTO
    @CreditCardCVV Bhai someone is again using this profile pic... Your sociological opinion is needed ...

Ques. Plz shed some light on the need for boys to present themselves as girls on a public platform to get immediate attention and response ...

Read it ...
    https://kpulawandsociety.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/durkheim-crime-serves-a-social-function/

@CreditCardCVV Bhai someone is again using this profile pic... Your sociological opinion is needed ...

Ques. Plz shed some light on the need for boys to present themselves as girls on a public platform to get immediate attention and response ...
    bhayo... He just wants to grab attention that's all. Maybe he has more estrogen than :trollface:

Read it ...

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1105754/#Comment_1105754

Read it ...

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1105754/#Comment_1105754

According to Durkheim what is the function of crime ?

Read it ...

bhayo... He just wants to grab attention that's all. Maybe he has more estrogen than :trollface:
    bhayo jaldi answer mil jaata hai internet pe agar ladki ki pic use karta hai koi to... wo bhi karachi girls :trollface:

When someone commits a crime, he harms the collective conscience of the society. Collective conscience of our society endorses to the rules of law. Therefore, when someone commits a crime, it shakes the belief of people in their collective conscience. It weakens people's faith in collective conscience. To restore people's faith, the society punishes these deviants so that people's faith in collective conscience is restored and it strengthens the sanctity of rules of law. For e.g. if someone violating traffic rules is punished, it restores our faith in rules of law and strengthens our commitment to collective conscience.
    thanks sir

can you explain me What is Sanskritization?
    @Sneha_Singh ye lo : http://bfy.tw/A4mS :trollface:

thanks sir

can you explain me What is Sanskritization?
    @Sneha_Singh ye lo : http://bfy.tw/A4mS :trollface:
    Bhai Sahab ... :D :D
  • Aim_2017 said:

What are the major dimensions of secularisation in modern world

Does anyone know about this
  • edited February 2017
    Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

Stumbled across this... Found it a good read... Do read and review
    http://cadmus.eui.eu/bitstream/handle/1814/29698/MWP_LS_2014_01_Riesebrodt.pdf

P.S. On a side note, profile pic mein kisi ladki ki photo dalo; u'll get instant results ...
  • edited February 2017

Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

P.S. On a side note, profile pic mein kisi ladki ki photo dalo; u'll get instant results ...
    @Atulesh Jha If "possible" please summarize the same :)
  • Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

Padho bhai, I'm not much for summaries ... I try to read and revise..
  • Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

Firstly, the article talks about the prediction of weber that religion will become privatised and obsolete in the modern secularised world. Then it gives several examples, where the resurgence of religion can be seen all over the world. It is a good read if we want to learn about the connection between secularisation in prgress in the world and the reasons why religion is again gaining a stronghold. But the article does not answer the question.
    Actually, i am not able to understand the meaning of the question. I may be able to answer it, once i understand the context of "dimensions" asked in the question.
  • edited February 2017
    Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

Firstly, the article talks about the prediction of weber that religion will become privatised and obsolete in the modern secularised world. Then it gives several examples, where the resurgence of religion can be seen all over the world. It is a good read if we want to learn about the connection between secularisation in prgress in the world and the reasons why religion is again gaining a stronghold. But the article does not answer the question.
    Actually, I am not able to understand the meaning of the question. I may be able to answer it, once i understand the context of "dimensions" asked in the question.
    Bhai, get some clarity; if you didn't get the ques. , how did you come to the conclusion that reading the lecture doesn't help you answer the ques.

Moreover you need to draw out dimensions from the lecture, namely political, economic, etc. A lot of instances are given with reference to the modern world...

For sure prima facie it reflects more on religion than secularisation, but both can be studied axiomatically. Since secularisation is nothing but the decline of religion in temporal affairs.

P.S. If someone is under the impression that you will get ready-made answers as in MAINS SOLVED of Forumias, then you are in for a rude shock from my side, I am yet to give an attempt and have taken up socio in late December, so can only provide material that I stumble across and NOT full-fledged answers.
  • Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

Actually, I am not able to understand the meaning of the question. I may be able to answer it, once i understand the context of "dimensions" asked in the question.
    Bhai, get some clarity; if you didn't get the ques. , how did you come to the conclusion that reading the lecture doesn't help you answer the ques.

Moreover you need to draw out dimensions from the lecture, namely political, economic, etc. A lot of instances are given with reference to the modern world...

For sure prima facie it reflects more on religion than secularisation, but both can be studied axiomatically. Since secularisation is nothing but the decline of religion in temporal affairs.

P.S. If someone is under the impression that you will get ready-made answers as in MAINS SOLVED of Forumias, then you are in for a rude shock from my side, I am yet to give an attempt and have taken up socio in late December, so can only provide material that I stumble across and NOT full-fledged answers.
    Yr i am not asking for full fledged answers....i already said that i was not able to get the gist of the word "dimensions", i.e. if it was types of secularisation or different forms in which it is present in different countries or something else....but now that you have told that it must be different aspects like political, economic, etc.of secularisation, i will be able to write the answer accordingly....so thank you for that
  • Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

relating different dimensions of secularization to other institutions in society is like answering it in GS mode but this question need to be dealt through what constitutes its core.The above dimensions mentioned can just be a periphery of your core answer . So basically there are three specific dimension when we talk about secularization:religious participation ,religious beliefs and religious values.

1)Religious participation : secularization dealing with role of religion behaviour...i.e the way society as a collective perform religious rituals ..be it assembling in temples , mosques ,church in day to day life ...Here a shift has taken place where this collective manifestation has relegated to individual arena ..so its like a rather then decline in religious behaviour..its like evolving a new form.

2.religious values: its like how values hold relevance in shaping desired goals for society and individuals.here contrast can be shown how religion played a role in rise of capitalism ..and present context where its role is minimal .plenty of scope here to add current stuff.

3.religious beliefs: need to show how secularization has played a role in weakening of age old belifes ,and this in turn is also affecting ability of religion in shaping the above too(religious participation and religious values).

After that it can also be mentioned how in present scenario....lifestyle driven by high ended globalization consumerism industrialization...etc ...its leading to renewed arrival of ‘re-coupling’, ‘de-differentiation’ and ‘de-secularization’.when it comes to interaction of religion and scoiety.

Life will be good.Eventually
  • Aim_2017 said:

Aim_2017 said:

relating different dimensions of secularization to other institutions in society is like answering it in GS mode but this question need to be dealt through what constitutes its core.The above dimensions mentioned can just be a periphery of your core answer . So basically there are three specific dimension when we talk about secularization:religious participation ,religious beliefs and religious values.

1)Religious participation : secularization dealing with role of religion behaviour...i.e the way society as a collective perform religious rituals ..be it assembling in temples , mosques ,church in day to day life ...Here a shift has taken place where this collective manifestation has relegated to individual arena ..so its like a rather then decline in religious behaviour..its like evolving a new form.

2.religious values: its like how values hold relevance in shaping desired goals for society and individuals.here contrast can be shown how religion played a role in rise of capitalism ..and present context where its role is minimal .plenty of scope here to add current stuff.

3.religious beliefs: need to show how secularization has played a role in weakening of age old belifes ,and this in turn is also affecting ability of religion in shaping the above too(religious participation and religious values).

After that it can also be mentioned how in present scenario....lifestyle driven by high ended globalization consumerism industrialization...etc ...its leading to renewed arrival of ‘re-coupling’, ‘de-differentiation’ and ‘de-secularization’.when it comes to interaction of religion and scoiety.

Thank you @lutiyanzone 1988 ...this can also be an aspect of understanding the question.
    I had one more theory to understand the meaning the word dimension, by potraying how secularisation prevails at individual, organisational and societal level. As dimensions of a physical concept spread according to the ways it is seen or observed by the researcher, so i think there can be multiple answers to this question.
    1. Individual level: This is the most commonly observed dimension, where a person gives more importance to logic and reason and does nt indulge in religious fundamentalism
    2. Organisational level: Where relgious institutions like churches and other religious associations, start taking help of scientific concepts to substantiate their own teachings. This has led to emergence of several types of churches, apart from the traditional catholic
    3. Societal level: Where a society gives more importance to logic and reasoning to solve their routine problems, rather than indulging in superstitious practices.

What do you think about this one??? @all
  • Examine the influence of industralisation on caste ?i cud think one or two points but answer is of 15 marks .kuch samjh nhi aa rha how to elaborate for 200 words.i often found such questions which are difficult to elaorate .please me or guide me how to deal with such ques....
  • Its correct man .Definitely this can also be an aspect ...its all the same just the way we frame is what constitutes the difference
    your answer after mine reminded me of the parsons theory where different ways of behavior are institutionalized in different subsystems.Similarly these beliefs practices and values which constitutes the religion you have taken them a level above and dealt them from there.Absolutely correct..Just a matter of choice and approach.
  • nybody active currently to clear my doubts
  • Its correct man .Definitely this can also be an aspect ...its all the same just the way we frame is what constitutes the difference
    your answer after mine reminded me of the parsons theory where different ways of behavior are institutionalized in different subsystems.Similarly these beliefs practices and values which constitutes the religion you have taken them a level above and dealt them from there.Absolutely correct..Just a matter of choice and approach.

Thnx for the answers..
    Yes, you rightly pointed out that drawing out the dimensions pointed out by me will be nothing more than an elaborate GS answer, reflecting on the common sensical understanding which will be penalized in the optional. :'(

Attempt an answer... Probably others can add to it ...

you start with your view and others can certainly add to it as @Atulesh Jha said.

First we need to see what are the features which led to sustainence of caste system in India.

Rules of Endogamy and Exogamy,
    commensality or inter-dining
    Interdependence of Occupations
    Social and Occupational Mobility
    Hierarchical Relations are based on Caste
    Importance of Caste in Various Stages of Life:
    Caste Associations
    Dominant Caste
    Village Economy and Caste

Now we can analyze which all has been challenged by the industrialization. for eg i can mention few.

first and foremost is loosening of linkage between the caste and occupation.Industrialization created numerous new occupations which just cannot fit in traditional structure leading to in principle seperation of occupational role and role occupant.

relegation of caste to largely personal or religious matters especially in urban areas.

untouchability has weakened though not completely abolished

barriers of endogamy have started to be broken though it still maintains its stronghold

commensality or inter-dining rules of caste system has certainly weakned and there is continuous and steady erosion of these rules as modern conditions of life and work has rendered many of them obsolete.

you start with your view and others can certainly add to it as @Atulesh Jha said.

First we need to see what are the features which led to sustainence of caste system in India.

Rules of Endogamy and Exogamy,
    commensality or inter-dining
    Interdependence of Occupations
    Social and Occupational Mobility
    Hierarchical Relations are based on Caste
    Importance of Caste in Various Stages of Life:
    Caste Associations
    Dominant Caste
    Village Economy and Caste

Now we can analyze which all has been challenged by the industrialization. for eg i can mention few.

first and foremost is loosening of linkage between the caste and occupation.Industrialization created numerous new occupations which just cannot fit in traditional structure leading to in principle seperation of occupational role and role occupant.

relegation of caste to largely personal or religious matters especially in urban areas.

untouchability has weakened though not completely abolished

barriers of endogamy have started to be broken though it still maintains its stronghold

commensality or inter-dining rules of caste system has certainly weakned and there is continuous and steady erosion of these rules as modern conditions of life and work has rendered many of them obsolete.

Adding to what @lutiyanzone 1988 said, we can also include following points:
    1. Ascribed status of caste has lost importance
    2. Inter mixing and inter dining of people of different castes, who work in a an industry
    3. No discrimination in educational institutions on basis of caste
    4. More upward mobility among lower castes, due to equal job options being available to all
  • thanks@ lutiyanzonezone and aim_2017 ..aim -2017 educational institute wala pt is ans me likh sakte because its specifically written industralisation m i rgt...i ll certainly with answers accha bekaar jo bhi please guys review my answers. m tired of preparing sociology alone ..thanks once again
  • industralisation and urbanisation ke liye koi accha material ha kya .IGNOU sociological thinkers ke perspective hain kya ?is it good enough?topics like child labour informal sector evolution of modern industry
  • For indian society there are so many books which are must read books for answer writing and getting deeperinsights and nt bulky
  • Hai I am preparing for 2017 CSE my optional is sociology any ideawhich is the best material available in the market to study??
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog