Sociology Discussion Thread for 2017 Mains

Comments

• Sociology as discipline aims at holistically understanding society especially chnges taking place in it due to effect of modernity.It is a comparitively newer discipline.The nature of the subject has been a matter of debate in sociological intellectual traditions since its inception.The major schools in this regard can be divided in two groups ,namely,positiviatic and non-positivistic,where former advocates sociology being a science and latter contradicting to it.

The early sociologists,Such as St. Simon,August Comte and Durkhiem,considerd the subject as science.This school is reffered as positivistic school.According to this school sociology is not only a science but moher of all sciences since its easy to apply scientific method on non-living matter but hardest to do so wen subjects are human being and sociology does exactly that.This school advocates that whatever happens in society is sociologucal fact,data about which can be collected in objective manner and than analysed on basis of scientific principals.Also sociolofy us a science because it goes for causal analusis as well as logico deductive analysis which is a basic pillar of science.Thus as sociology goes for idiographic inquairy it is a science.Durkhiem conductice various sociological studies using scientific techniques and standards and eshtablished sociology as a science.

However,contradicting to above tradition ,interaction school considers reality is subjective and it is impossible to conduct sociological study on scientific lines.Max weber also advocated that sociology is objective study of subjective reality,and not purely a science.

Hence,while positivists give convincing arguments in faviur of sociology being a science ,non-positivistic schools reject their analysis.Thus while sociology continues to flourish using both methods of research and inquiry ,the question of its exact nature is yet to be settled.
  • P.S. :- It is one of the earlier topics and you can clearly see inthe answer that i havnt revised it ...so i lack content right now ....But yet your review will be highly appriciated on wrutung style,any point you want toadd etc.

Also my question is whether above approach to answer question is correct or we need to focus only(or mostly) on the arguement that sociology is a science.
  • P.S. :- It is one of the earlier topics and you can clearly see inthe answer that i havnt revised it ...so i lack content right now ....But yet your review will be highly appriciated on wrutung style,any point you want toadd etc.

Also my question is whether above approach to answer question is correct or we need to focus only(or mostly) on the arguement that sociology is a science.

Overall answer is good @bestattempt few points which can be added

1. Intro I think should contain definition of science :- What is science?(Science refers to systematic investigation and understanding of world around us) .....then explain how subject matter of sociology related to science.....
    2. Other things which can be included to support the argument ---> Maintaining Objectivity, generalization, rational and logical thinking, experimentations, quanitative analysis.
    3. Also, science can be seen as reflection of society like use of term power, force in science has its source from society itself.
    4. Then, other side of the picture ---> Non-Postivist ---> weber..... study of individual behavior ....subjectivity ..... n all
    5. Conclusion is good as it gives both side of the picture.

Overall answer is good @bestattempt few points which can be added

1. Intro I think should contain definition of science :- What is science?(Science refers to systematic investigation and understanding of world around us) .....then explain how subject matter of sociology related to science.....
    2. Other things which can be included to support the argument ---> Maintaining Objectivity, generalization, rational and logical thinking, experimentations, quanitative analysis.
    3. Also, science can be seen as reflection of society like use of term power, force in science has its source from society itself.
    4. Then, other side of the picture ---> Non-Postivist ---> weber..... study of individual behavior ....subjectivity ..... n all
    5. Conclusion is good as it gives both side of the picture.
    Excellent points ...specially point#3 i never thaught that way.I will try to incorporate them in my answer.Thank you!
  • Review plzz...is sociology a science
    @bestattempt your answer is good ..nice point incorporated but give and write about critical aspect too..u wrote about nonpositivist approach but it should have been a bit elaborated. .and give defination too as @CaptainCool mentioned and suggested nice points ..here is my answer. .give feedback
    20161226_231045-734x1305.jpg
    734 x 1305 - 219K
    20161226_231058-734x1305.jpg
    734 x 1305 - 213K
  • I think we all have done first unit so posting two questions for tomorrow
    1.write short note on emergence of sociology is an outcome of modernity and social change in Europe, keeping sociological perspective in view (150 words)
    2.sociology without history is rootless and history without sociology is fruitless. Elaborate
  • edited December 2016
    raksha said:

Review plzz...is sociology a science
    @bestattempt your answer is good ..nice point incorporated but give and write about critical aspect too..u wrote about nonpositivist approach but it should have been a bit elaborated. .and give defination too as @CaptainCool mentioned and suggested nice points ..here is my answer. .give feedback

Thanx a lot for the review @raksha ,i will try to rectify my mistakes .

Your answer is nice.Especially content is well balanced which is really nice.A little work on logical flow between paras will gI've your answer an edge. Do consider it. :)
  • raksha said:

Review plzz...is sociology a science

Thanx a lot for the review @raksha ,i will try to rectify my mistakes .

Your answer is nice.Especially content is well balanced which is really nice.A little work on logical flow between paras will gI've your answer an edge. Do consider it. :)
    Sure @bestattempt will look for the same ..:)
  • Want to form small group for discussion of 3 4 veterans for socio mains 2017 in ORN........interested and serious students reply..........................
  • 1.write short note on emergence of sociology is an outcome of modernity and social change in Europe, keeping sociological perspective in view (
  • Wenkula said:

1.write short note on emergence of sociology is an outcome of modernity and social change in Europe, keeping sociological perspective in view (

• edited December 2016
    Sociology in west was an intellectual response a cognitive system to the problems whichbthat society was facing as a resultbof industrialisation and the type of social upheaval and transformation that were taking place .
    The intellectual revolution embodied in the movement for enlightment the scientific and commercial revolutions which took a shape as a modernity spanned the period b/w the 14-18 century the french revolution of 1789 and the industrial revolution dealt a deadly blow to the age old feudal system of monarchy and thevtale of theirvwoes started there was great uncertainity about values and sociak order in thevnew situation.
    Emergence of sociology came by waybof addn cognitive system which the industrial bourgeoisie in theveuropean content tried to develop a response as a kind of world view to overcome the problems of the disintegrating traditional worldview and at the same tinevthe disintegrating pradigams of knowledge.

• Q. Are the tribes in india lower caste hindus ?
    Discuss critically with suitable examples
  • Happy New year to all...wish you a great and prosperous year ahead.....full of joys and learning :)
  • edited January 2017

Happy New year to all...wish you a great and prosperous year ahead.....full of joys and learning :)

Wish you all a very happy and successfull new year..!!!enjoy @captaincool @lutiyanzone 1988 @raksha and @all :star:
  • Happy New year to all...wish you a great and prosperous year ahead.....full of joys and learning :)

Wish you all a very happy and successfull new year..!!!enjoy @captaincool @lutiyanzone 1988 @raksha and @all :star:
    Happpyy new year to all friends. ..best wishes :) :)

Happy new year to you all ..i wish and i hope its a good year for socio people :)

Life will be good.Eventually

Happy new year to you all ..i wish and i hope its a good year for socio people :)

Haha thats what we all wish for :joy:
  • has anybody joined any ongoing socio test series here ?
    Life will be good.Eventually

Iski sabje jyda zaroorat hai..nai th socio wale viluptpray jeev ho jyenge ane wale dino me :#
  • Qn."Anomie is rooted in social structure.” Explain with reference to R.K. Merton’s contribution.

Koi ispe prakash dale....
  • @akrao_iimb @choudhary_007 @Geheimnisse @never_back_down @MD47 @Kisaan @diablo2 @raksha @Jaime_Lannister @aman131 @GlobalBaba @

Your Suggestions are most welcome from experience of 2016 Mains Paper

my first attempt 2017.. self preparation
    I lost my soul.. दिल के रास्ते मत चलियो ये जीते ज़ी मरवा देगा !
  • raksha said:

@akrao_iimb @choudhary_007 @Geheimnisse @never_back_down @MD47 @Kisaan @diablo2 @raksha @Jaime_Lannister @aman131 @GlobalBaba @

Your Suggestions are most welcome from experience of 2016 Mains Paper

Sorry..did not write. :'(
    dont worry you will write this year :smile:
    I lost my soul.. दिल के रास्ते मत चलियो ये जीते ज़ी मरवा देगा !
  • even mine self prep too..!!!
    kuch notes votes dedo yaar..!!
  • What are the major dimensions of secularisation in modern world?
    Please help
  • @CaptainCool regarding the question "Anomie is rooted in social structure", i am writing my answer here

Robert Merton’s theory of social structure and anomie seeks to explain deviance. In this theory, Merton believes that deviant behavior is due to conditions in the social structure. Society creates a strain between culturally prescribed goals and the socially structured means to achieve them. Culturally prescribed goals are the values in a society and the socially structured means are the norms in a society. Merton talks about five different modes of adaptations to an anomic society. Conformity is when a person accepts both the goals and means of a society. Innovation is when a person accepts the goals but rejects the means. Ritualism is when a person rejects the goals but accepts the means. Retreatism is when a person rejects both the goals and the means. Rebellion is when a person does not want the goals and the means of society, and wishes to change the social structure.
    Deviance results because of an imbalance of the goals and the means. Society sometimes does not give everybody the same opportunity to achieve the goals. For example, people in a low class do not have the same opportunities as people in a high class. Anomie comes about when there is too much emphasis on the goals of society and not enough means to achieve them. Society emphasizes financial success but not everybody can be financially successful. Therefore, this creates a strain which leads some people to become deviant.
  • hello to everyone .how u all are preparing POLITICS AND SOCIETY of PPR 2.please tell me the sources.WORK AND ECONOMIC LIFE aur RESEARCH METHODS of PPR1 as wel...
  • edited February 2017
    Nice to see thread is getting some response @all please keep posting :smile:
    @unbeatable I guess for politics and society along with basic concepts of paper 1 we need to Keep focus on the recent changing dynamics of politics .....in current scenario ... e.g ---> Personality cult [T.N], Protest over jalikattu etc......Jat agitation
    and Work and economic life and research is given well in haralamboss along with it IGNOU will suffice the need
  • aman131 said:

I have doubt over the questions in paper 1 which are application based e.g -

QN. Analyze the manifest and latent function of 'security of tenure of bureaucrats in the light of Merton's theory. (2016)

QN. Using Merton’s concepts of ‘manifest ’ and ‘latent ’ functions, explain the persistence of corruption in
    Indian society
    .(2014)

Even after reading R.K merton theory of manifest and latent function i am unable to find any source which refer to the aspect related to bureaucracy or corruption in Merton's theory.

Manifest function of security of tenure- B remains committed -dedicated -do not fall for any form of influence both internally and externally-free from corruption.

Latent function-Same security of tenure makes it inefficient-Makes B indulge in corruption considering the provision of securoty of tenure-quote how art 311 ended up serving this latent function from originally being meant to serve the manifest function.

Now try corruption brother else will throw light on it also :)
    I will give you hint for corruption wala question.
    Just think of obvious perceptions/consequences of corruption as it is observed by a layman- thats manifest

now despite so many problems and negatives of corruption which you have thought above, why it persists? Kuch to functional role play kr raha hoga ..think ;)( u can take hint from usa ka political achine) :)
    Keep writing :)
    Hello. Can you please mention your sources for both paper 1 and paper 2?
  • How do we attach a previous comment, to which we want to give a reply???
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog