Sociology Discussion Thread for 2017 Mains

Comments

• Can any one explain the term Ethnomethodoglogy.

lets open it step by step:

Earlier focus on social action ,interaction..two dimensions either structural influence or the influence of human consciousness.

what ethnomethodologist do..they analyze the minutes aspects of these social praxis ..whta garfinkel saw was that everyday life and daily experinces cannot be defined merely through structures and institution or for that matter through goffmans interaction..lets suppose u go to a doctor and talks about problems or say cricketer and ..how they perceive the problem how it is conveyed ..how other party reacts and responds..so u can see here goes continuous cycle of social action or interaction takes context becomes signification and its always locally produced in every specific situation by previous moves ,action or line of the actor and reflexively each move will either sustains i.e for eg in you initiation of Hello if i say Hi..or if doctor ask how are you and i said not good or alters the local context like if u say hello i say u will get highest marks in sociology it seems then it has altered the context now that shapes the significance of the next move...

So if i can sum up we can say its like they believed that beyond structures beyond consciousness there is something more fundamental which is concerned with how people make sense of their circumstances and act on them....now u can see like others like structuralist or intreactionists they do not see social order is given ....they tend to enquire about it..they believed sense making is the starting point of everything that is possible in ths world.so they analyze how this act of sense making ,and its contribution as an input in social action or structures.

one last thing this act of sense making is done methodically using procedures people share in local context ..and since the methods are shared by the members of culture and sub cultures..thts the reasons Garfinkel called them ethnomethods and its study as ethnomethodology..so what i explained above is what ethnmethodologist try to understand and through these socially shared ethnomethods.

Hope it make the concept clear to you :)

Life will be good.Eventually
  • edited December 2016

How it is different from symbolic interaction-ism because there also we use symbol, language to relate to the meaning of human reaction in response to any external stimuli.

Though i have mentioned it in my answer to your question but let me make it specific if i can..

see the basic point is that since both try to make sense of our daylife events and cirumstances..but the point is where does the basis for understanding lies...for phenomenology ..its focus is more upon psychological or cognitive component while making reasoning whereas for ethnomethodology the basis is sociological..how..bcoz Garfinkel stress on the fact that in analyzing the action people make joint sense of their social world together hence for him the real world is created through the interactional skill or intrepretative skill of the social actors together and they do so methodically.and thats the reason its ethnomethod
  • How it is different from symbolic interaction-ism because there also we use symbol, language to relate to the meaning of human reaction in response to any external stimuli.

Though i have mentioned it in my answer to your question but let me make it specific if i can..

see the basic point is that since both try to make sense of our daylife events and cirumstances..but the point is where does the basis for understanding lies...for phenomenology ..its focus is more upon psychological or cognitive component while making reasoning whereas for ethnomethodology the basis is sociological..how..bcoz Garfinkel stress on the fact that in analyzing the action people make joint sense of their social world together hence for him the real world is created through the interactional skill or intrepretative skill of the social actors together and they do so methodically.and thats the reason its ethnomethod

+1 agreed.
    Symbolic interactionism and Ethnomethodology are both branches of interactionism and only difeer slightly.

I have a question though,
    Can it be said that in case of 'khap rules on marriage in haryana' ,ethnomethodological approach will study about people's accepted khap marriage norms and the good-bad meanings they attach to certain kind of marriage while symbolic interactionism would be intrested in knowing how a persons decisions and perception about other persons will change due to habing been raised in such society ,for example,say,adopting a tabood approach toward love marriages.

Please clarify if my concept correct or not?
  • edited December 2016

How it is different from symbolic interaction-ism because there also we use symbol, language to relate to the meaning of human reaction in response to any external stimuli.

@lutiyanzone 1988 and @bestattempt thanks nice explanation can we think of more examples in context of India taking any social issue and how to approach from both SI and Ethno perspective as pointed by @bestattempt

• I have a question though,
    Can it be said that in case of 'khap rules on marriage in haryana' ,ethnomethodological approach will study about people's accepted khap marriage norms and the good-bad meanings they attach to certain kind of marriage while symbolic interactionism would be intrested in knowing how a persons decisions and perception about other persons will change due to habing been raised in such society ,for example,say,adopting a tabood approach toward love marriages.

Please clarify if my concept correct or not?

yes they are continuously constructing this social reality its correct

• Is religion antithetical to science?comment (paper1 2013)
  • Koi Sociology WhatsApp group banaye hi kya???? :)
  • Everyone is so quite here ...where's everyone :/ ..@captaincool @lutiyanzone 1988 @raksha @all ....are we continuing with answer writing?
  • Everyone is so quite here ...where's everyone :/ ..@captaincool @lutiyanzone 1988 @raksha @all ....are we continuing with answer writing?

M n @bestattempt ..will try to write the question u posted .. :) I would suggest u to post 2 questions every alternative day(provided u dont have time constraints ) from paper 1 as well as paper 2 so that we can develope writing habit on the daily basis. :)

• raksha said:

Everyone is so quite here ...where's everyone :/ ..@captaincool @lutiyanzone 1988 @raksha @all ....are we continuing with answer writing?

M n @bestattempt ..will try to write the question u posted .. :) I would suggest u to post 2 questions every alternative day(provided u dont have time constraints ) from paper 1 as well as paper 2 so that we can develope writing habit on the daily basis. :)

Will try or better depending on no. of persons contributing we can develop a system ie. Each of us take turns in posting others answer and try to review one unreviewd answers ....so that each answer get atleast one review.One can post their query related to the topic and discussion can follow.Initially we will restrict ourselves to previous year questions. All this won't cost any one person much time ...and all of us can gain multiple perspectives to the topic which is much needed in current scheme of things.

• edited December 2016

Everyone is so quite here ...where's everyone :/ ..@captaincool @lutiyanzone 1988 @raksha @all ....are we continuing with answer writing?

Actually I have not cover the topic religion yet. So have not wrote the answer. We all are here only. We will continue to do the writing practice. Please accept my apologies.
  • i dont stay in delhi and havent taken coaching for sociology ! many people have suggested me mahapatra sirs notes for paper 2!would it be relevant without taking his coaching ? i was thinking IGNOU and c n shankar rao would be good enough for paper 2! please suggest guys
    Sab yeh sochte hai ki hero woh hota hai joh jeetta hai.
    mera yeh manana hai ki hero woh hai joh haarta hai ... kyun ki wohi jaanta hai jeetne ki asli value!
  • Lets decide a framework ....and based on that we can put up questions and answer it accordingly.For eg we can take two units per week or some thing like that so that by end of Jan we can finish discussing important units of paper 1 .Its difficult to write randomly as many will be preparing simultaneously too.
  • i dont stay in delhi and havent taken coaching for sociology ! many people have suggested me mahapatra sirs notes for paper 2!would it be relevant without taking his coaching ? i was thinking IGNOU and c n shankar rao would be good enough for paper 2! please suggest guys

Hey ..@never_back_down ..mahapatra sirs notes are good provided u have covered all the syllabus and have few relevant information on the topics as concepts are very haphazard and scattered so u have to pic significant things from the notes.so if u are first timer i would suggest u to read few good books for the paper 2 like ..modernisation of indian tradition by yogendra singh, social change in modern india by ms srinivas , indian society by sc dubey ..these standards books will give you concrete understanding about paper 2 .and plz refer news paper and try to find contemporary changes related to topics of paper 2 as in exam they ask general stuff related to social happenings ..i dont have idea about cn shanakr rao..all the best..
  • raksha said:

Will try or better depending on no. of persons contributing we can develop a system ie. Each of us take turns in posting others answer and try to review one unreviewd answers ....so that each answer get atleast one review.One can post their query related to the topic and discussion can follow.Initially we will restrict ourselves to previous year questions. All this won't cost any one person much time ...and all of us can gain multiple perspectives to the topic which is much needed in current scheme of things.

I will post questions whenever get time to do so..i m agree with u as participants are less here..anyways start with them only ..
  • edited December 2016

Lets decide a framework ....and based on that we can put up questions and answer it accordingly.For eg we can take two units per week or some thing like that so that by end of Jan we can finish discussing important units of paper 1 .Its difficult to write randomly as many will be preparing simultaneously too.

@lutiyanzone 1988 agree with you it would be better that we devise a plan then start writing. It will help new biees as well as those who have already done syllabus once to go through syllabus again and complete them topics wise let's say till mid - Feb. Earlier I shared the IAS BABA's questions link which can be used as guidelines if we all agree. They have questions mostly from previous year.
  • im just started with sociology prep.. your answers are good.. @CaptainCool @raksha @lutiyanzone 1988 ..will start with it soon.. thank you..!! keep this alive..!!
  • i am up for any plan :smiley: ......
  • edited December 2016
    General discussion..... What is serdipity? ( asked in UPSC 2010)
  • yaar koi sociology ke liye kitabe bata do aur please material khuch available hai toh post kr do
  • General discussion..... What is serdipity? ( asked in UPSC 2010)

Do you mean serendipity?

Funnily enough i dont have any idea to which topic does it relates to :sweat_smile:
    However general meaning of serendipity is a positive coincidence.How do we write a sociological answer for above question?
    Where did you find the question.Was there an answer there?

• Yes serendipity.... :# thanks for correcting. No I didn't find answers. But I think it is related to..... R.K Merton's analysis...

Do you mean serendipity?

Funnily enough i dont have any idea to which topic does it relates to :sweat_smile:
    However general meaning of serendipity is a positive coincidence.How do we write a sociological answer for above question?

• edited December 2016

Do you mean serendipity?

Apart from general meaning of serendipity, for sociological perspective we can relate this concept to RK Merton's essays where he explained relationship between theory and research. While talking on intiating a new theory under bearing of research on theory- he argued that sometimes anomalous but strategic data come to light which exert pressure for initiating a new theory. This is called as serendipity. For e.g. social research of Hawthrone studies actually led to finding of "informal groups" that led to growth of Human relations approach.
    Similarly you can relate it to other social phenomenon.
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
  • edited December 2016
    aman131 said:

General discussion..... What is serendipity? ( asked in UPSC 2010)

Apart from general meaning of serendipity, for sociological perspective we can relate this concept to RK Merton's essays where he explained relationship between theory and research. While talking on intiating a new theory under bearing of research on theory- he argued that sometimes anomalous but strategic data come to light which exert pressure for initiating a new theory. This is called as serendipity. For e.g. social research of Hawthrone studies actually led to finding of "informal groups" that led to growth of Human relations approach.
    Someone has written answer in previous thread i have just pasted it (not mine....just found on one of the previous threads).This might be helpful.....
    Q1. Write a short note on serendipity.
    Serendipity in general term is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely. Robert Merton made wide use of this term in theorizing. For him it is a methodology for scientific research. In 1946, Merton revealed his concept of the “serendipity pattern” in empirical research, of observing an unanticipated, anomalous, and strategic datum, which becomes the occasion for developing a new theory or for extending an existing theory. The serendipity pattern is Merton’s proposal to attempt to complete the hypothetical-deductive model, which is a logical model, and so fails to describe much of what actually occurs in fruitful investigation.

A research directed towards the test of a hypothesis yields a fortuitous by-product, an unexpected observation which bears upon theories not in question when the research was begun. The observation is anomalous, surprising, either because it seems inconsistent with prevailing theory or with other established facts. The seeming inconsistency may provoke some researcher to avoid those observations but Merton says that such observations should be utilized. Observer must detect the universal in the particular.

Merton has said in this context that “Scientific inquiry cannot be metaphorically represented as hunting a hare (searching for a specific applicable scientific theory) with a rifle (the rules of scientific method). Indeed if you are clever enough to take advantage of the opportunity, you may capture a fox thanks to accidental circumstances while searching for hares”.

The serendipity pattern not only refuses deterministic positivist approach, but also the opposite interpretive approach which tries to understand meanings assigned by actors, in a social research. It relies on the observation and not ignoring any of them. Serendipity pattern says too much planning in science is harmful and one cannot plan discoveries, but can plan work that will probably lead to discoveries.
  • aman131 said:

Do you mean serendipity?

Thanx..yeah now i can recollect it...i could only vaguely recall it upon seeing the question...revision much needed...

Yep @captaincool it relates to Merton ....i need to revisit..thinkers...i have only done one reading of that part and it already is sliping away :sweat_smile:

• @ captaincool thanx for the answer....:)it explains very well
  • @aman131
    How to approach paper 2 population dynamics part ..any specific strategy. .i found it very much linked with current affairs. .how to bring sociological views in subtopics like ageing,morality birth death etc..your guidance would be valuable for all.. :)
  • edited December 2016
    raksha said:

@aman131
    How to approach paper 2 population dynamics part ..any specific strategy. .i found it very much linked with current affairs. .how to bring sociological views in subtopics like ageing,morality birth death etc..your guidance would be valuable for all.. :)

Basic for this topic is kanitkar's book but I thnk its not updated with latest census data. Besides this Nothng much can be done in population dynamics but yes vision model answers of past few years provide a good content on the topics u mentioned.
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
  • aman131 said:

raksha said:

@aman131

Basic for this topic is kanitkar's book but I thnk its not updated with latest census data. Besides this Nothng much can be done in population dynamics but yes vision model answers of past few years provide a good content on the topics u mentioned.
    Thanku :)
  • Is sociology a science .comment
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog