MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Why The Hindu is Most Important?

edited August 2013 in Current Affairs
Hello guys,

I am preparing for Civil Services Examination. i am doing it without coaching. whenever i meet any aspirant
they always tell me to read hindu regularly and make notes from it.
i have few question in my mind

why the hindu is important if we have magazines like CST and Cronicles?
for editorials we have good option like Frontline...
why should one make notes from the hindu?

i made notes but it is very time consuming,takes 3-4 hrs a day....

Thanks

Comments

• I seriously doubt the importance of current affairs in new syllabus. It is not explicitly mentioned anywhere in the syllabus. however it does mention about awareness of science and technology , bilateral relations , diaspora , international institutions , security etc. So should we cram everything in current affairs ?

Among EPW , the hindu and frontline i find epw useful . Although i am sick of their pseudo secular language. Fortunately i donot buy their sickular theories. All three are Modi bashers . Give the guy a fair share , Modi deserves it. The Hindu should name it self ' The Muslim.
  • I completely agree with @ghochu
    There is no need to read Hindu at all, current affairs is not mentioned so better spend time on other stuff. This apart from giving you a 'justificatory jubilation' will also make the road easier for others to get through. Get started asap, time is running out.
    I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.
  • edited August 2013
    The Hindu helps you to how to understand an issue critically . But the problem if you read just one newspaper you will tend to bias and cynic to each and every political [here I used this term in a broad meaning] issues . So kindly cultivate a habit to read other newspapers too .
    For the first time , it will take time to learn how to make notes . Brick by brick , you will come to know it . Dont worry about it .

@gochu , a personal request if you cant answer a person effectively and precisely dont attempt to answer . And its individualistic to accept or deny a political party[or a person] . So in this democratic nation , every non-hatred views need to be respected .

I find it difficult to clear prelims , but for me its easy to pin-point no.of issues hovering our nation , its includes Modi factor too .

[Moderator Note: You are requested to reply to the person who has asked a query. Please allow others to express their views freely.]

2017--> 8th attempt
  • @Vibin

when you read the hindu you read extreme leftist views. when you read my post you read extreme rightist views. Just as you dictate me to respect their views , you should also respect my views. so read and move on.
  • edited August 2013

@gochu , a personal request if you cant answer a person effectively and precisely dont attempt to answer .
    @Vibin Sorry to prick your bubble but you have done the same in quite a few occasions. So I'd say live and let live. Everyone has a right to voice their views.

@NightRider It's important to keep yourself abreast of the news happening around you so that you become the 'well-informed' person UPSC is expecting. It doesn't matter much which newspaper you follow. That's totally your choice. I know a person who only followed IE(and he never made notes) and managed to clear prelims this year.
  • Yup , accepted .. Mistake is regretted .
    2017--> 8th attempt

• @gochu , a personal request if you cant answer a person effectively and precisely dont attempt to answer .
    @Vibin Sorry to prick your bubble but you have done the same in quite a few occasions. So I'd say live and let live. Everyone has a right to voice their views.

@NightRider It's important to keep yourself abreast of the news happening around you so that you become the 'well-informed' person UPSC is expecting. It doesn't matter much which newspaper you follow. That's totally your choice. I know a person who only followed IE(and he never made notes) and managed to clear prelims this year.
    Carrying forward what @Sina said, RV Varun Kumar(AIR 3) 2010 only read IE(I attended his workshop back then in 2011). In fact I second @Sina with my limited experience that it doesn't actually matter what newspaper you read - you should have some insight of the topic you are being asked to discuss in the paper. That's beginning and the end of everything.
    You can even try The Telegraph, The Statesman, Asian Age, etc. Although they originate in the East, their Delhi Edition is quite intellectual in its leaning. However, strangely they are constantly underrated.

I do not agree with the viewpoint that Current Affairs need not be prepared at all. Topics in the GS syllabus such as -
    1. Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
    2. Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
    3. Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
    4. Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector or Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources. etc.( I can go on and on).[The list far from being exhaustive, is only indicative]
    These topics make an overview of Current Affairs not only desirable but imperative.

As an example, 'Role of civil services in a democracy' a topic in Paper 2 if asked to elaborate upon in the exam(in any form), will be expected to be done in the light of what happened to Durga Shakti Nagpal(and the 'democratic' fallout that ensued). A candidate's answer will look stupid to not include the case in consideration while answering it.

Now, extending the above explanation a little further - the depth of your answer will be directly proportional to your command over current affairs(a fancy word for whatever is happening around you). On a scale of average to brilliant answers, answers might include:
    Average: Might include Durga's case
    Above Average: Durga and Khemka's case
    Excellent: Durga, Khemka and C Umashanker's case
    [i.e. in increasing order of your command over the current topics and themes affecting India and its people]
    The example, again, is only an illustration of my point. Neither am I suggesting that mere inclusion of current cases would increase the brilliance of your answer, nor the notion that writing style is any less important. All I am trying to convey is the fact that content is extremely important(and a grip on current affairs would add to that dimension).

Bottom Line: Without a trace of current affairs in your answer,s you would come across as a recluse. The exam on the other hand is structured and intended to test your 'social' skills.

*Views are personal and should not be construed as any kind of preaching, am in no mood to debate.
    When victory is certain, even the cowards can fight.
    Brave are those who fight even when their defeat is certain.
  • @Nightrider
    Yes ,you are right in one thing that the notes making does take time but when each aspirant recommends Hindu its not without any reason.
    UPSC expects us to know about latest happenings in & around the world to be a well informed person as @sina said earlier in his post.

Now the current affairs can be read from any good source you wish but all i am saying is that if (after years of preparation )most cse aspirants prefer Hindu & TOI then it is not likely without any substance.
    Hindu & TOI have a good coverage of national & international events.You can very well cover the editorials with frontline & any good magazine.

Yes they can be leftist sometime in their tone but they never force their opinion on a reader & in the end choice is left with the reader only .
    Moreover i am irritated by this constant Leftist vs Rightist debate on this forum.Cant we see a newspaper as a an instrument of expression ,through which a reader comes to know about different views .Now if they have given views having negative undertone about a policy then reader can simply analyse their side of the story & similarily look for positives by not depending on anyone source.The newspaper only shows us two side of the same coin & if one feels that a side is being deliberately being hidden from him then he is all free to look for other source that deal with positives .
    Matter of the fact is we need both views to judge the pros & cons of a policy decision of govt as it impacts lives of millions of people.Hindu does carries a debate column (you must have read it) in which views and counterviews both are taken simultaneously .
    In case of Modi too they carried a similar debate column on 12 Jul 2013 ,in which Mr. Venkat Goli (of Yudofud foundation) had criticised in his article "An Unfair Tirade against Modi" the earlier Op-ed article "Rambogiri in the year of flood" authored by Mrinal Pande(Chairperson of prasar bharati) & published in 11 July edition of Hindu.So they might have given leftist to take lead but they also gave the rightist his chance to pen his thoughts.

In the end the decision of wisely analysing both arguments rests with us & only we can form our own viewpoint regarding any issue be it Modi or anything else.

Personally making notes give me a ready to refer current affairs manual at the end of the year which a person who has not been making notes will not have & memory cant be relied upon to be able to recall all that has happened in previous year, so in such a case what one will need is a ready compendium of notes at his disposal.Also i dont find the current affair clutter that invades market just before pre with truckloads of info in each edition.Its far better to take in measured quantities of info rather than the whole dosage at one time.

@gochu
    You seem to have ignored the possibility of current affairs questions in PT .Now it is clearly mentioned in CSE Notification that factual & conceptual knowledge being already tested earlier through a subjective exam & the purpose of the interview will be not only an assessment of a candidate's intellectual traits but his social traits & his interest in "Current Affairs".

So if cse notification covers it where remains the doubt in not preparing current affairs.
    Also logically too once you have cleared mains one can't expect board members to simply ask subject specific questions which in anyway would be redundant ,so they would surely ,inevitably couple it with current affairs questions.

Lastly, A strategy for current affairs is totally your prerogative my friend ,i have only given you reasons as to why i follow Hindu & make notes.
    ;-)
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • edited August 2013

*Views are personal and should not be construed as any kind of preaching, am in no mood to debate.

:D anticipatory bail granted .. I was supposed to comment similar thing , but words backfired ..
    2017--> 8th attempt
  • The premise behind special emphasis on reading The Hindu newspaper for the CSE.
    1) Current Affairs is specifically mentioned in the syllabus of prelims-2013.
    2) The questions in the previous year question papers are directly from this newspaper.
    3) For being a civil servant you will have to be aware about the current happenings of the world, to take the apt actions.
    4) The interview questions/mains GS questions are about your personal opinion.

Though there is a change in the CSE syllabus but what I expect is that the questions in the GS mains would be on the similar format of GS prelims i.e. ~60% conventional/static topics and ~40 current affairs.
    So a serious aspirant would focus both on "conventional/static topics" as well as "current affairs".
  • hi guys, i am preparing for civil services and i will be giving my first attempt in 2015.How can i take help of newspaper in my preparation?. Should i concentrate on current affairs from now or prepare for it just 1 year before the exam?
    Thank you
  • @Sudeep
    Its better if you start now buddy because newspaper reading is easy but to make notes out of it is what takes time.
    By being an early bird you can polish & refine your this crucial notes making skill .
    So in my advice start early .
    ;-)
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • @LuV
    Thank you for your valuable advice.I have one more doubt when i go for basics behind news its a never ending process for me( there are so many things i don't know).Should i start the note making for a particular topic from its basics or just important points from the newspaper and for basic go to the conventional books.
  • @Sudeep
    I can understand buddy.
    When reading a news item note down the important points but to clearly understand them.you would need to cover basics too & that is the purpose of newspaper reading .It helps you understand the happenings in & around the world in a better way .
    let me give you an example :
    INS Arihant was recently in news as it became India's first indigenous nuclear powered submarine. to be inducted in Navy.
    Now first you note down the obvious important headline for its obvious importance to india.
    The above is conventional part.What would basics cover is as follows ,
    2).Submarine's reactor goes critical ,Now meaning of term 'Critical ','Supercritcality' ?
    3).It employs nuclear fission .What is nuclear fission & how it is used in producing energy ? Who invented it ?
    4).Whether a overbearing programme covers this new advancement like in this case its ATV(Advanced technology Vehicle )Programme started by indira gandhi in 1974 .(Why she started it is also interesting ,google it n find it our yourself)
    5).The reactor uses enriched uranium.What is its source.What is enriched uranium ?

My simple funda is this ,
    Imagine yourself explaining the above news to a layman who doesnt know what nuclear means ,what uranium means,what is meant by criticality of a reactor or simply what is so special about this news at all ?
    Now each of term mentioned like nuclear fission or uranium enrichment etc are subjects in themselves so dont go into minute detail like useless scientific terms & other facts figures etc.
    Feel free to ask any more doubts here.
    ;-)
  • @LuV
    Thank you for your detailed explanation.
  • @Sudeep
    Its my pleasure ...
    ;-)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog