Current Affairs for Prelims 2019 | Online | Offline | 25th March@5PM
Course is available in both Online & Offline Mode.
Join Online Classes | Join Offline Classes | Click here to know more
We are hiring!

Mains Answer Checking Doubt

Hey guys, suppose in 1 out of 20 questions, I somehow fail to present a neutral point of view and my answer seems leaning towards a particular ideology and if the paper checker is of the opposite ideology, will it affect the marks that he awards in the rest 19 answers of mine even though they are perfectly fine.

Won't he start reading rest of my answers more critically and award lesser marks as compared to other people's answers?

Does UPSC has a mechanism to remove this checker bias?

They expect us to be neutral and objective, but how do they ensure the same thing from the professors who check the papers?
The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Comments

• First of all just remove this ill conception. You are not appearing for an exam to enter a political party. And those who check upsc papers are the one who inspite of supporting one ideology respect others too. They are not like us who just keep fighting over these petty issues. And for answers you just need to be 'impartial'. That's all.
    A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of the sheeps.
  • Or if u can't be 'impartial'. You are the one who can't leave your beliefs. Then justify what you write.
    A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of the sheeps.
  • @aniket I never said that I can't be impartial that's why I specifically told that in only 1 out of 20 questions, my views doesn't match with the examiner. Moreover, ideology never meant supporting a party or being against it. I may have some different views towards governance, science, philosophy or any other topic. Don't narrow it down to just party politics.

I asked the question because whenever I read answers on insights and when I see that a particular person has not written a good answer, this is what goes into my mind "Iska answer dekhke pataa chalta hai ki ye banda toh chutiya hai, iske saare answers bekaar hi honge" even though I've just read one of his answers but I've formed my opinion over him

Won't the same thing feeling creep up in the examiner after all he's also human. That's why I asked, does UPSC has a double or triple check mechanism to remove this bias
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.
  • edited November 2016

@aniket I never said that I can't be impartial that's why I specifically told that in only 1 out of 20 questions, my views doesn't match with the examiner. Moreover, ideology never meant supporting a party or being against it. I may have some different views towards governance, science, philosophy or any other topic. Don't narrow it down to just party politics.

I asked the question because whenever I read answers on insights and when I see that a particular person has not written a good answer, this is what goes into my mind "Iska answer dekhke pataa chalta hai ki ye banda toh chutiya hai, iske saare answers bekaar hi honge" even though I've just read one of his answers but I've formed my opinion over him

Won't the same thing feeling creep up in the examiner after all he's also human. That's why I asked, does UPSC has a double or triple check mechanism to remove this bias

Firstly,I don't believe that the General Studies answers demand to present one's strong ideological positions.All we are supposed & expected to is presenting our understanding,analysis of scholarly,scientific,empirical studies,views.You aren't invited to propound theories,ideologies & models.

Secondly,as there is no one best approach to an issue or a challenge,we cant stick to one particular viewpoint.We need to present argument based on diverse views.Not doing this might amount to your understanding of 'ideological bias'.

Thirdly,I dont think one bad answer shall decide the fate of the rest 19/24 of them.The examiners are matured,responsible enough in avoiding such notions.

Dont think too much and stop getting worried of things not in your control.

ATB :)
    I shall bomb the world one day !!
  • Trust me it won't. As all 20 questions aren't evaluated by just 1 examiner.

How can be you so sure?
    Now It Ends...

seriously? source please!!
    We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.
  • All questions for a particular GS paper are check by one evaluator only. Mrunal filed an RTI regarding the same some time back.

seriously? source please!!
    +1
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google