All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
Start Now
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Is "Presidential Debate" variant possible in India?

During presidential elections in the United States, it has become customary for the main candidates to engage in a debate. The topics discussed in the debate are often the most controversial issues of the time, and arguably elections have been nearly decided by these debates. Candidate debates are not constitutionally mandated.

Like this any variant is possible in India?
All are welcome to contribute :)
@TAR @ghostrider2016 @choco_dip @Kek @zil-i-ilahi @snapdragon @IWRA @DrKingSchultz @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh @hemu @pizza @Reddy_2ruly @Etat @hope16
be a UPSC killer than a UPSC lover

Comments

• edited September 2016
    I think it is not likely in India because in India the emphasis is on the parties, not the individual.
  • It is entirely possible..! But, I don't know whether candidates would have the balls to come on the stage..! The one characteristic that pervades almost all our politicians has been "Hypocrisy".

Public Debate will not be congenial for the hypocrites to survive the onslaught..!

And No, our Paliamentary form of Govt that emphasis on Party system will not be a hindrance to such debates...! Even, election campaigns are oriented towards "personification" of Party Leadership. Congress struggled in this aspect in 2014 while BJP had an advantage called "Modism".

Hoping for such debate in next LS election..! I think Kejriwal ji called for such a debate in Delhi election..!

“Sometimes, it’s wise to be foolish”

2015: Cleared Prelims.
    2016: Cleared Prelims.
    2017: Cleared Mains.
    2018: Cleared Mains.
  • Kek said:

It is entirely possible..! But, I don't know whether candidates would have the balls to come on the stage..! The one characteristic that pervades almost all our politicians has been "Hypocrisy".

Public Debate will not be congenial for the hypocrites to survive the onslaught..!

And No, our Paliamentary form of Govt that emphasis on Party system will not be a hindrance to such debates...! Even, election campaigns are oriented towards "personification" of Party Leadership. Congress struggled in this aspect in 2014 while BJP had an advantage called "Modism".

Hoping for such debate in next LS election..! I think Kejriwal ji called for such a debate in Delhi election..!

:D
    One problem: In India, all party does not disclose the Prime Ministerial candidate in advance.

• Not only is this possible, India is heading towards it. In the next 3-4 elections this practice will creep in. The only thing that can delay it will be the return of post-poll coalitions.

But it will be a 'huge' waste of public money.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    contactjaime123@gmail.com
    twitter @contactjaime123
    My Book https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B2N695F
  • After watching yesterday's debate. I felt america is moving towards Indian news debate aka shouting and name calling style .
    History Optional
    "Let the fear find you again "
  • Mr_Wayne said:

After watching yesterday's debate. I felt america is moving towards Indian news debate aka shouting and name calling style .

It's the other way around. And there is a reason for that. Check who owns most Indian private news channels and compare it with USA media corporations.
    twitter @contactjaime123
  • Mr_Wayne said:

After watching yesterday's debate. I felt america is moving towards Indian news debate aka shouting and name calling style .

It's the other way around. And there is a reason for that. Check who owns most Indian private news channels and compare it with USA media corporations.
    Yh I know its fox news style. Which others like times now have adopted.
    But the presidential debate has become Indian style. It used to be about policies, yesterday it was just accusations and ridicule.
    History Optional
  • Whoever wins America will still be ruled by them lobbies...
  • Mr_Wayne said:

Mr_Wayne said:

But the presidential debate has become Indian style. It used to be about policies, yesterday it was just accusations and ridicule.
    True. But what can you expect from a 'hot gas balloon' and Rabi Devi of the west. Apparently both Trump and Clinton are fighting against the only person they have the calibre to defeat.
    twitter @contactjaime123
  • edited September 2016

Mr_Wayne said:

Mr_Wayne said:

True. But what can you expect from a 'hot gas balloon' and Rabi Devi of the west. Apparently both Trump and Clinton are fighting against the only person they have the calibre to defeat.
    Rabdi devi of west :lol: :lol:
    Well put
    History Optional
  • Btw till the real debaters (on this forum) appear here, enjoy this bad lip reading...

twitter @contactjaime123
  • In Parliamentary democracy, one man show isnt really desired as such. The relevance of manifesto holds importance in countries like india, italy etc..
  • India is a diverse country. And in our const. also rule by plurality i.e. the COM is provided but what we witnessing after Indira Gandhi is.. a one man/woman show. Though for some time we had exp of coalition form. But again we come back to that era. Plurality is what requires in such a diverse multi cultural, multi ethnic, multi religion country.

And plz dont compare with USA. We are still a developing where every 3rd child is a mal-nutrient. If any such comparisions are done with 'My friend Barak" wearing a 10 lac suit where 50% population go to bed (read roads/flyover etc) without food every night then it will be only superficial .
    दूर रह पाये जो हमसे दम कहा मंजिल मे है... सरफ़रोशी की तमन्ना अब हमारे दिल मे है
    देखना है जोर कितना बाजू ए कातिल मे है ।I
  • edited September 2016
    Debates of this kind are certainly needed, especially in contemporary situation where it seems that politics has become overwhelmed with the 'cult of personality' syndrome . what we need is not a debate between two candidates but between different parties on ( keeping in mind that in India theoretically its the parties which contenst elections and openly declaring the name of their prime misnistirial candidate is not the norm.) Different parties can nominate their representative and the latter can debate .
  • edited September 2016
    I remember a debate regarding NJAC where personalities like Arun Jaitley, Retd. Justice Lodha and some more participated. It was one of the very few enlightening and sober debates that have been conducted in recent times and also among the very few where the moderator spoke less than the participants.
    2013-Failed Pre by 7 marks
    2014-Failed Pre by 1 marks
    2015-Failed Mains by 25 marks
    2016-Failed Pre
    2017-Final Battle
  • jaljal
    edited September 2016
    Presidential type of debate is needed,but only when there is a substantial difference in policy perception between parties. But, in India, there is always a general agreement between parties about policies. Even, if one doesn't believe in one policy, it will not declare it openly.eg no party has gumption to criticise freebies openly. Campaigning here are on fringe identity issues , with broad reference to developmental issues where there is broad agreement . So even debate happens, it will be on issues of secularism , ucc, reservation etc .
    These issues are purportedly used to mobilise people. Winning an argument is not necessarily the goal. So I think parties don't feel like debating and winning with logic and reason.
    Secondly,we have parliamentary system . So the fora for debate is always functioning. Stances of parties are known on major issues . To have a separate fora to represent same old arguments is not needed by the people. Leaders of parties don't take separate stance wrt their parties .
  • in a multiparty system, no it is not possible, and it should not be even!!
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
  • edited September 2016
    in india after modi i think party warty is over n individualism era has been started like one man show ,days of indira gandhi
    but we have to see for how long modi wave for bjp ???
    chocolate is my life
  • if this happens in India then India will be ruled by MODI forever (till he dies)..
    just imagine, PAPPU debating against modi.. :D :D :D

Positive: maybe the fear of facing modi would get him out of politics which might help in creating a real opposition. :)
    AIR-128. CSE-2016.
    IRS IT.
  • @TAR but local level par mene dekha hai modi wave slow ho rahi hai
    One day I will clear this exam and resign the next day to start coaching for poor students
  • i think the day will come when americans witness "chai pe charcha" and "khat pe charcha" instead of fancy presidential debates.we r seeing presidential like debate on daily basis at aajtak,india tv,zeenews..wait one more times now :D between mla in waiting,mp in waiting,cm in waiting and pm in waiting along with "verbal wwe" touch..what more we need?
  • @TAR but local level par mene dekha hai modi wave slow ho rahi hai

Are yaar sirf bolne ki baat kar raha hun..baaki kaam se to lagi hi huyi hai modi ki..
    He cannot be defeated in debating atleast..

Waise mazak ki baat hai, bcoz its not only debating that decides who wins..there are a lot of other things too..
    AIR-128. CSE-2016.
    IRS IT.
  • jaljal
    edited September 2016
    TAR said:

@TAR but local level par mene dekha hai modi wave slow ho rahi hai

Are yaar sirf bolne ki baat kar raha hun..baaki kaam se to lagi hi huyi hai modi ki..
    He cannot be defeated in debating atleast..

Waise mazak ki baat
  • Struggle said:

I remember a debate regarding NJAC where personalities like Arun Jaitley, Retd. Justice Lodha and some more participated. It was one of the very few enlightening and sober debates that have been conducted in recent times and also among the very few where the moderator spoke less than the participants.

• Struggle said:

I remember watching that debate..! TimesNow organised that I guess..! It was very mature and enlightening as u say..! Arnab was totally shunned out..! Intellectuals drove the debate..! If time permits, Guys pls watch..you will not regret..!
    “Sometimes, it’s wise to be foolish”

2015: Cleared Prelims.
    2016: Cleared Prelims.
    2017: Cleared Mains.
    2018: Cleared Mains.
  • Already many channels in India organise such events atleast during elections in which a member of all famous/top parties on a stage debate and counter each other. People ask questions as well in them.

Debate among candidates and political parties, should happen and they will happen definitely as "Modi effect" is very much about his orating skills. Pm Modi is a politician. And Previous PM was not politician though one of the greatest economist from India, but he was disliked inter alia for not being able to argue or speak like Mr. Modi. So the trend has been set and we are likely to see debate directly among Prime Ministerial candidates or Chief ministerial candidates in coming elections.

But debates create a perception in the public that one who speaks well will be the one who will perform well as a minister which may not be true. Speaking skills will have to be inculcated whether a candidate is a career politician or not. We are already witnessing personality cults and hero or heroine worshipping in many parts of India, such practices will be strengthened. Rallies and processions will increase.

Despite of this, debates will ensure accountability. In US, students directly ask from both presidential candidates that I am from this clg, have got this many % of marks - will i get a job. An employee of a company asks about taxes, what will be done for his future.. One who convinces better generally wins.
    Such debates and asking questions will be very good for India also.

But again India is a different society, elections are not won on tax policies, clean energy, climate change but on identity like caste and religion.
    And moreover in debates that we see in our newschannels, politicians counter each other through something which is in news, looks like more opportunistic issues but not on long term policies. Issues and projects that will give immediate result and brownie points are preferred to be debated.

As citizens become more and more aware things will change and we are heading towards US style debates.

• Bhairvi said:

Already many channels in India organise such events atleast during elections in which a member of all famous/top parties on a stage debate and counter each other. People ask questions as well in them.

Debate among candidates and political parties, should happen and they will happen definitely as "Modi effect" is very much about his orating skills. Pm Modi is a politician. And Previous PM was not politician though one of the greatest economist from India, but he was disliked inter alia for not being able to argue or speak like Mr. Modi. So the trend has been set and we are likely to see debate directly among Prime Ministerial candidates or Chief ministerial candidates in coming elections.

But debates create a perception in the public that one who speaks well will be the one who will perform well as a minister which may not be true. Speaking skills will have to be inculcated whether a candidate is a career politician or not. We are already witnessing personality cults and hero or heroine worshipping in many parts of India, such practices will be strengthened. Rallies and processions will increase.

Despite of this, debates will ensure accountability. In US, students directly ask from both presidential candidates that I am from this clg, have got this many % of marks - will i get a job. An employee of a company asks about taxes, what will be done for his future.. One who convinces better generally wins.
    Such debates and asking questions will be very good for India also.

But again India is a different society, elections are not won on tax policies, clean energy, climate change but on identity like caste and religion.
    And moreover in debates that we see in our newschannels, politicians counter each other through something which is in news, looks like more opportunistic issues but not on long term policies. Issues and projects that will give immediate result and brownie points are preferred to be debated.

As citizens become more and more aware things will change and we are heading towards US style debates.

Mention of long term policies is awesome.
  • As @jal previously mentioned, long term policies cannot be discussed because then you won't be able to tell who belongs to BJP and who to Congress. GOP and Democrats have very fundamental and acute differences in their policies (which are narrowing btw in recent years), hence long term and policy related debates are possible there and not in India.
    Debates will of course spread the illusion of democracy the same way that online 'open network' of Airtel or online railway booking by IRCTC is selling the illusion of transparency (although it also does provide it, but in very small portions)
    twitter @contactjaime123
  • i agree with Jamie and Jal that because all parties have almost same long term policies [infact even short term policies are also not very different], debates on long term policy is unlikely at present.

But any political party that will talk about long term policies across various sectors will be rewarded by votes in future [and today also]. As with the reach of social media and electronic media, citizens are becoming aware of whats happening in the country and in future this will increase only.

So any candidate that is asked " where do u see India in 10 years or 20 years" and candidate answers them by " this is our vision, these are the steps, these are challenges, this is how we will overcome- plan" will obviously be liked by the people.

Rallies which mostly include goons and hoodlums also spread illusion of democracy and If debates also spread illusion, public will catch them whether in that very election or next election.

Its true that parliamentary democracy is not about one person rather about team/party, but we have seen examples of both where public voted for party and public voted only on the basis of face of the party or CM or PM candidate.
  • Not possible right now. No one would like to debate modi. we have seen in the LS/RS and also various conclaves by news groups.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google