ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

If masala bond - what's the correct answer?

From attached snapshot it seems masala bond wala question bji galat ho gaya. Answer seems to be one only, option a.

Guyz please somehow prove the answer is both a and b
Screenshot_20160815-091959.png
720 x 1280 - 169K

Comments

• Someone tell what's the correct answer for OFC masala bond.
  • Read this and conclude yourself :
    http://www.arthapedia.in/index.php?title=Masala_Bonds
    Particularly that "IFCs Masala Bond" section.
    PS: this website is maintained by deptt. Under MoF, and written by Indian Economic services guys.
    image.jpg
    640 x 960 - 288K
    Not active.
  • Means answer is one only
  • Ho gaya galat ek aur question
  • I'm not so sure... I have read about IFC very well before prelims and so marked A.
    But the thing is not a single coaching answer key has given only A as answer.
    So let's see.

In the hindsight, I feel UPSC wanted to check this knowledge about function of IFC, that is it's exclusively private sector focused.
    Not active.
  • "The term Masala bonds now extends to any rupee denominated bonds issued to overseas buyers even though RBI has not resorted to the use of this name in their guidelines."

" Further, as on date, the present issue of masala bonds is a one-time issue. Hence, subsequent issuances of the off shore rupee bonds by IFC may also not be under this nomenclature."

Does it clear the confusion now which is going on that question that it was specifically talking about 'ifc masala bond' ?

Now initially they were meant for private only but now PSU can do that too. As per RBI any entity can issue them. Hence both are corewct. There is an unncecesaary confusion raised by people here. Both are correct statements.

IFC masala bond is actually masala bond only.
    IFC was there to confuse people :|
  • "The term Masala bonds now extends to any rupee denominated bonds issued to overseas buyers even though RBI has not resorted to the use of this name in their guidelines."

" Further, as on date, the present issue of masala bonds is a one-time issue. Hence, subsequent issuances of the off shore rupee bonds by IFC may also not be under this nomenclature."

Does it clear the confusion now which is going on that question that it was specifically talking about 'ifc masala bond' ?

Now initially they were meant for private only but now PSU can do that too. As per RBI any entity can issue them. Hence both are corewct. There is an unncecesaary confusion raised by people here. Both are correct statements.

Second statement in question says with reference to ofc masala bond, it is used to finance public and private sector. But reality is ofc masala bond are used to finance Pvt sector only. Check the snapshot attached by me
  • @warrior0602 please read second statement in question. It specifically talks about if masala bond. And then read highlightedv text of my first post in this thread.
  • arey this is all bal ki khal nikalana
    both are correct
    period
    it was issued for NTPC and railways which are public sector
    UPSC doesnt want indepth knowledge
    just accept and leave it to faith
    dont waste time and use it somewhere else
  • 24madaeve said:

@warrior0602 please read second statement in question. It specifically talks about if masala bond. And then read highlightedv text of my first post in this thread.

i marked only A after considering that.
    But now i think they were talking about masala bond only. since ifc launched it first so they mentioned ifc masala bond. Writing simply masala bond wouldn't have reflected the meaning clearly. As it was given a nick name by ifc.

2ndly upsc doesn't play with words at this level.

So most probably ans will be C unless and until examiner deliberately framed it for this.

PS: i marked A in last 5 min after giving too much thought. And when i think too much generally i mark wrong ans :D
  • I'm not so sure... I have read about IFC very well before prelims and so marked A.
    So let's see.

In the hindsight, I feel UPSC wanted to check this knowledge about function of IFC, that is it's exclusively private sector focused.

This is wrong. Do you want to read one pdf of IFC only in which they have listed how they are working and funding state govt power projects and public private too? No org work like this in Silos. WB is concerend with developmentnof poor countries but it works for climate change too. UNEP is for env butnit works for poverty reduction too. There is always linkages and integration.
    Actually I have read about IFC in wiki and google days before, and I had put this in my mind that IFC is for private sector and rest WB works mostly with public sector.
    So after seeing the question I didn't think too much, and marked that statement false.

Had I not known this beforehand, I would have also guessed it is for both.

and I still claim that IFC is an arm of WB exclusively for private sector. But I am also sure that B statement may be correct as per UPSC.
    Let's see what UPSC thinks. I may be wrong, I accept that.. And I have calculated my marks after taking it as incorrect as no Key has given A only as answer.
    Not active.
  • I think final answer will be a only. Read the highlighted text of my snapshot in conjunction with second statement. Everything will be crystal clear
  • 24madaeve said:

@warrior0602 please read second statement in question. It specifically talks about if masala bond. And then read highlightedv text of my first post in this thread.

But now i think they were talking about masala bond only. since ifc launched it first so they mentioned ifc masala bond. Writing simply masala bond wouldn't have reflected the meaning clearly. As it was given a nick name by ifc.

So most probably ans will be C unless and until examiner deliberately framed it for this.

PS: i marked A in last 5 min after giving too much thought. And when i think too much generally i mark wrong ans :D
    Examiner doesn't seem to deliberately frame this question as options almost match word by word with Indian express article. Both should be correct.
    If u play with words then both options are incorrect...and... That's less likely.
  • kabira_1 said:

24madaeve said:

Examiner doesn't seem to deliberately frame this question as options almost match word by word with Indian express article. Both should be correct.
    If u play with words then both options are incorrect...and... That's less likely.
    1st statement is not wrong. ifc is an arm of WB only. Its part of wb group.
    its like telling reliance petrochemical is not arm of ril rather ril group of industries :D
    see how bod are appointed of ifc how it functions how wb controls it etc .

2nd statement depends upon examiner what he meant from ifc masala bond. if for him it means same as masala bond which i think then option c is correct.
    otherwise A in some probability.

So let's see.

This is wrong. Do you want to read one pdf of IFC only in which they have listed how they are working and funding state govt power projects and public private too? No org work like this in Silos. WB is concerend with developmentnof poor countries but it works for climate change too. UNEP is for env butnit works for poverty reduction too. There is always linkages and integration.
    Actually I have read about IFC in wiki and google days before, and I had put this in my mind that IFC is for private sector and rest WB works mostly with public sector.
    So after seeing the question I didn't think too much, and marked that statement false.

and I still claim that IFC is an arm of WB exclusively for private sector. But I am also sure that B statement may be correct as per UPSC.
    Let's see what UPSC thinks. I may be wrong, I accept that.. And I have calculated my marks after taking it as incorrect as no Key has given A only as answer.
    Upsc is final god to decide but if such word game is there then S1 can also be wrong as technically upsc can also consider it to be a part of WB group but we know upsc dont play with words like this :/ ... anyway, drip ka kya hai 12 ya 13 :grimace:
    Bhai maine to, 1&2 lagaya hai, after excessive thinking about all the options in the exam hall. When I read this question I started searching the option 1,2&3 but I was temporarily shocked to not find that option, and then started to think A LOT :P
    And I also thought, it would be the most discussed question like custodian on forumIAS( but here I'm wrong, Chief Secretary is winning by a margin :P)
    God(UPSC) knows what would be the answer.
    I went for 2 cause I had this thing in my mind that flood irrigation (esp. in Punjab/Haryana) causes salinity, which is true. And thought, Flood irrigation itself doesn't necessarily cause erosion, so If drip is to be promoted then it should be more for salinity than erosion.
    But I will humbly accept 1&3 by UPSC. :(
    Moreover no coaching key is giving 1&2 :/

@Captain_Peroxide yr do you remember if any coaching had given lack of ITCZ as an answer for no cyclone in South Atlantic? #justAskingtoKnow if UPSC used to give shock to coaching keys?
    Not active.
  • Btw what's the answer for Redd+
  • examiner itna nhi sochta jitna hum soch rhe, Upsc question are always direct... They wrote 'ifc masala bond' cos they wanted to ask about ifc as world bank private lending arm statement is correct or incorrect and whether these bonds are for public and private, initially it was for private but now public too are raising it hence correct. Words se play krkr agar tension leni hai toh bhai keep doing...

After reading this: http://indianexpress.com/article/business/business-others/ifcs-rising-rupee-offerings-add-spice-to-masala-bonds/
    I'm pretty sure, UPSC based the question on this article :/
    And Both statement are correct!!
    Not active.
  • 24madaeve said:

Btw what's the answer for Redd+

its all.
    read india's argument for redd+.
    its 100% sure.

So let's see.

Upsc is final god to decide but if such word game is there then S1 can also be wrong as technically upsc can also consider it to be a part of WB group but we know upsc dont play with words like this :/ ... anyway, drip ka kya hai 12 ya 13 :grimace:
    Bhai maine to, 1&2 lagaya hai, after excessive thinking about all the options in the exam hall. When I read this question I started searching the option 1,2&3 but I was temporarily shocked to not find that option, and then started to think A LOT :P
    And I also thought, it would be the most discussed question like custodian on forumIAS( but here I'm wrong, Chief Secretary is winning by a margin :P)
    God(UPSC) knows what would be the answer.
    I went for 2 cause I had this thing in my mind that flood irrigation (esp. in Punjab/Haryana) causes salinity, which is true. And thought, Flood irrigation itself doesn't necessarily cause erosion, so If drip is to be promoted then it should be more for salinity than erosion.
    But I will humbly accept 1&3 by UPSC. :(
    Moreover no coaching key is giving 1&2 :/

@Captain_Peroxide yr do you remember if any coaching had given lack of ITCZ as an answer for no cyclone in South Atlantic? #justAskingtoKnow if UPSC used to give shock to coaching keys?
    If I am correct then shankar ias had given ITCZ option.
  • @maverick .... what is your score brother?
  • edited August 2016
    I thought alot about putting IFC word before masala bond. I came to two conclusion:
    One, UPSC wants to give some importance to IFC for coining this term.

Two, so that people do not counfuse and think masala bond as bond having masala as underlying asset. :D (similar like gold bond ) :D :D

• @Captain_Peroxide thanks bhai.. trying hard to get that momentum back. :neutral: and I seriously want you too to start the mains prep now, (its been a week already ), don't exactly know about ur marks, but I'm sure you would clear easily, so start! :blush:

@kabira_1 bhai Shankar se I'm getting 128.66 (71C 20W) baki 126-131.33(InsightonIndia-Vajiram) tak float ho jaa rha hai..
    Not active.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog