ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Strategy for Geography Optional

JKNJKN
edited July 2013 in Geography & Geology
Hi Guys!!
This is my first attempt and have decided to take geography as an optional. I am finding it difficult to get started. I request seniors/guys who are in a good grove to please share their strategy on how to go about it. What I would specifically like to know is 'How one should cover the portion?' Like first complete this and then go about this, then cover this portion...sort of stuff. So what I am asking is about the chronology in which the Geography portion could be optimally covered. I know that everyone has a different way to go about it and one has to find his one way, but still I would like to hear from you guys. I have read Mangesh Kumar's strategy but he doesn't talk about this.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited July 2013
    bro/sis buy Rupa made simple. it is a great book and explains the topics in a brilliant manner. no need to look for every why and why not. use youtube. there are great vids explaining the physical geo concepts in an apt manner.
    there is no chronology as such. but it would be better if you finish p1 first and then go after p2 topics.

to make it simple i will share what i am doing currently/planning to do
    1. geomorphology+oceanography
    2. climatology
    3. human and then others.
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • Thanks a lot buddy :)
  • bro/sis buy Rupa made simple. it is a great book and explains the topics in a brilliant manner. no need to look for every why and why not. use youtube. there are great vids explaining the physical geo concepts in an apt manner.
    there is no chronology as such. but it would be better if you finish p1 first and then go after p2 topics.

2. climatology
    I am slightly highjacking the discussion, for my optional is not Geography and my interest in it is limited to GS Paper - 1. Do you have a question bank for mains pertaining to Geography?

I have last years' paper (already uploaded in Resources Folder) but nothing that can be called 'question bank'.

Or any idea/hint as to how to get it?
    Sharpen your axe, before cutting down the tree...
  • Hi, I want a good book for Physical Geography! Is Majid Hussain's good enough? Rookie here. Desperate for guidance :-??
    Hold fast to dreams,For if dreams die
    Life is a broken-winged bird,That cannot fly.
  • bro/sis buy Rupa made simple. it is a great book and explains the topics in a brilliant manner. no need to look for every why and why not. use youtube. there are great vids explaining the physical geo concepts in an apt manner.

2. climatology
    I am slightly highjacking the discussion, for my optional is not Geography and my interest in it is limited to GS Paper - 1. Do you have a question bank for mains pertaining to Geography?

I have last years' paper (already uploaded in Resources Folder) but nothing that can be called 'question bank'.

Or any idea/hint as to how to get it?
    @arpit sir
    apologies. i have no such compilation of GS question bank for geography as such. neither am i aware about the availability of any such material in the market.
    i have compiled only IR and Economy questions that too of the past 5 years only. :P
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • @Woodpecker bhai, why call me sir?
    :-O
    I am yet to qualify... :P
    Sharpen your axe, before cutting down the tree...
  • Well I m referring to only Majid Hussain physical geography and some classics videos on Youtube.

For beginners I would suggest start with Plate techtonics and theories on formation of mountains, volcanoes, rift valleys.

Then start reading that after this formation how they are eroded. And this erosion causes siltation and formation of other land forms.

So slowly start to ask question urself and try to analyse, and you will knw that geo is very easy interesting optional.
  • @dp81
    could you please share the specific links for the videos or the channels to be subscribed or you just arbitrarily searched according to the topic?
  • Anyone here going for any coaching for geography? Any review? Is it possible to study geo without coaching. As i dont have any background, im engineering graduate.
  • searching topic as per requirement is my strategy as some time same person or channel cannot explain all topic well....

Can plz wht r u reading now in geography and in wht r u facing problems ??
  • Anyone here going for any coaching for geography? Any review? Is it possible to study geo without coaching. As i dont have any background, im engineering graduate.
    no need for caching.....youtube and google r best coaching classes...
  • @dark_knight
    I haven't joined any coaching. I am also an engineering graduate. Although joining coaching or not is an individual choice, I would recommend you buy Savindra Singh and go through some initial chapters on Geomorphology. You would get an idea of level of difficulty of the syllabus and thus the need for coaching or otherwise.
  • I am currently reading rupa series on physical geo. I am not facing any particular problem as such, but frankly, I didn't cover any of the paper I syllabus before prelims and have covered just the syllabus of paper II which was necessary for prelims. So I am in a crunch situation right now and hence the above question of approach/chronology of syllabus
  • Thanks guys for quick reply. I have savindra singh, i have finished 11th 12 geo ncert for basics,didnt feel need for coaching up till now. But need guidence, you guys are doing great, do share some more tips.
  • For Paper-I Physical geography is the most important. And to understand this u have to follow the sequence from the cause of the phenomenon...

Continental drift > Plate techtonics > Development of landform (mountains, volcanoes, valleys etc) > Rock formation and their types > Mass wasting, Weathering, Erosion and agents of erosion > Soils > based on soils u will get vegetation

So u can see all are inter-related.

Climatology, Human geography, economic geography is/are very small and independent topic
  • @dp81
    bro this was really insightful
  • slight correction above:
    bro/sis
  • how to go about for map related questions ?? i mean practice stuff.....
    any idea what map is given in mains by upsc ?? blank, with state boundries, world etc......?
  • For map first you categorise the things like :
    For INDIA:-
    Rivers
    Mountains
    Shields
    Islands
    Plateau
    Forests
    Ports
    Volcanoes
    Mountain peaks
    Dams
    Religious places
    Cities in news
    Gulfs
    Straits
    Glaciers
    Lakes

Add if i have missed something...
  • @all How is the magazine Geography and You and is it relevant from exam point of view?
  • How to prepare for the philosophical part of geography ? (schools of geography , geographical thought etc....
    " DO NOT CRIB "
  • How to prepare for the philosophical part of geography ? (schools of geography , geographical thought etc....
    by reading... :-??
  • @dp81 Could you suggest some references/reading material for the question posed by @Spellbound ? Even I have similar doubts.

Thanks.
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
  • @PoliceWala
    @Spellbound

Evolution of geographical thoughts by Majid Hussain....
  • @dp81 : Finished it already .. except the historical schools of geography rest all is obscure without any clarity . In fact last portion on postmodernism was not even intelligible ... Even tried my hands on Richard Peet's Modern geography but that one is too heavy ...

do you know any other book for this part ??
    " DO NOT CRIB "
  • Seeing the questions no strategy seems to work...only god help us
  • @Spellbound

Bro..which topic u want to study in school of thoughts...as i think all r mentioned in Majid Hussain..
  • guyz i ws going through the book "human goeg." by majid husain, chapters are really interesting bt felt exhausted while preparing notes.. can u plz suggest me how to prepare notes or if anyone of u can share ur self prepared notes with me..??
  • @doctorgirl @ram @Siddharth @Vivekanand @vagabond1 @Spellbound @ajaysingh @DrSheldon @aashu_delhi @mahek @PoliceWala @Aspirantcse

I think we should not precious time in other discussion....
    I know there are some within this discussion who appeared for mains 2013 and expecting interview but we should also not forget that we should also not de-rail us from the track....so before its get late and we start losing interest we should keep discussing topics of geography...even if anyone of us feel that question might be stupid.....
  • Although I will eventually prepare, I am actually quite apprehensive about optionals in interview. I've read some interviews in the past where general questions have been asked related to geography e.g. sequence of tributaries of river Ganga. On the other hand, there have been interviews where the chairman has intervened to stop board members from asking geography Qs since the candidate has already been tested in his written paper.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google