Ranklist & Marks ! Offline Test Takers of ForumIAS Simulator Test 0
Click here to view score and results
We are hiring!
Visit http://go.forumias.com/changetheworld to apply now!

The Art of "TUKKA" Making !!

Is Tukka making a Art or Just a sheer luck ???.. Those who think IT'S AN ART...Please share here any tip/strategy/standard operating procedure ...IF ANY IN YOUR OPINION.. any gem of Wisdom/Experience you learnt in your Upsc journey.. which you think can help us to make a comparatively BETTER,REASONABLE GUESS !!..Koi Fundaa Koi Trika Koi Vichaar etc which YOU THINK can help All of US or SOME of Us who believes and practice them in last phase ..which can increase even a SINGLE MARK in final exam.. Please do Share here !!! ( If possible explain with 1 or 2 similar kind of Question Examples !!)..

PS- Common sense point to remember.. NO BAKAR TIME..IF you think No such thing exist then just Put your point in Decent and Personalized manner Only ..so that it don't Dissuade others.. Also if you don't find any solution/funda as Useful then please don't criticise it bitterly..LET OTHERS SHARE THEIR INNER THOUGHTS.. Everyone here is Mature enough to decide What to Take and what Not !!..

@mods please keep this thread running for few days..if no good response please close/delete it !!..also keep a VIGILE for few MDS vitiating cordial and decent atmosphere of thread !!

Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
But I have promises to keep..
But I have promises to keep..
And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Read all past 2-3 year question papers of all examinations and their official keys......observe how upsc designs options such 1 only, 1 & 2 only,none of these, all of these, etc etc
    Try this in examination for tukkebazi even if you know nothing and you still want to attempt question .....it works if day is yours ;)
    For me it works most of the time..

• Personally i feel tukka can work upto some extent only and in approx. around 20-30% questions,in an exam like cse prelims questions like options of multiple answers can be tackled upto some extent by tukka in eliminating options like if any option is repeated in options then in 90% cases that will be the answer for sure so in this way the option which does not contain the answer can be eliminated....but personally i feel that this method should not be adopted bcoz it can be fatal.
    CSE is an exam of talent and analytics any thing like guessing should be done in limited questions like 5-10 questions only.
  • edited July 2016
    These are the marks of "No Clue" questions in around 21 tests.
    Avg. comes around 3.
    In real dilemma, should such questions be attempted in the final exam or not ? :'(
  • edited July 2016
    Lets do simple maths. In this upsc format of +3, - 1, absolute random guess should give a 0 score(dont bring probability, I am simpligying things). If you are able to eliminate even one option, you should attempt the question because it has a net positive outcome.

But the issue is twofold: it requires nerves of steel to actually do it in exam and upsc is clever in setting the options to somewhat dent this strategy because of surprise factor i.e. the 100% eliminated option is actually correct in more cases that I am confortable in...

But since you cannot really attempt 60 questions and hope to clear the exam, you really have to make educated guesses.

One more thing, if an option is like all of these, earlier it used to be the correct one in more than its rightful share i.e. 25%, actually going far over it. But it was brutally massacred last year. It hurt some guessers like me.

All in all, apna luck pehen ka chalo, you'll need it.
  • i have appeared in a number of upsc exams involving gs paper.. and have attempted 100 per cent all the time.. what i have from my experience/ananlysis is .. the type of questions can be divided into three heads..
    1. the questions you are almost certain about (80-100% certainity)...lets call them sure shot ones... i will usually get 8 or 9/10 correct in this type( even if one goes attempting questions with 100 per cent certainity one will still get nearly 10 per cent wrong)
    2. the questions which you are absolutely blank about.. you dont have any idea at all..either you have left the subject completely or you are hearing about that topic for the first time..
    now tukkas in these questions even out if the sample space is large.. i.e. lets say there are 16 such questions.. trust me if you are extremly lucky you will get 6/16 and if extremely unlucky 2/16.. i.e. with negative marking ...it will be a range of nearly (-5 , 5) marks on 16 questions.. thats nearly (-0.33,0.33) marks per question..
    3. everything that is not in 1 and 2

the art lies in dealing with type 3... however since the variation in attempting type 2 is very low..one can avoid these completely..there is a pro and con related with that..
    pro: you save time.. when you know nothing like john snow.. you tend to make a wierd logic .. what can be.. what should be type.. it takes time.. puts pressure on your mind and eventually half of the time you will end up getting negative marks for the excercise..

con: you are in a hurry to skip the question.. i.e. a question which by applying a little bit pressure on your brain could have been a type 3 question .. you end up leaving it..

now the type 3 ones really pay high dividends..(unless you are really unlucky that day)...there is no art.. perhaps few thumb rules..
    1. if there is a option which in the recent past you have come across... and your subconscious is yelling about go for it.. most of the time it will be right..
    2. the statement/option which is the most loaded one with information .. has a good probability of being right..
    3. in the statement questions unless you know the statement is wrong, assume that the statement is right( except those containing date/year.. upsc has a habit of playing with dates).. in this regard you have to practice with upsc previous year papers for this.. coaching papers tend to tweak 8/10 statements.. so being in that temperament you will end up looking at every statement very suspiciously ..

Disclaimer: i have only shared my experience/analysis.. i am neither discouraging nor encouraging anyone to go for 100 questions or aggressive guess making.. play the game at your own risk :)
  • edited July 2016
    Tukka making is a real thing but I think it give results only when one knew something related to that topic( Long term memory+ Common sense plays An important part here)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • edited July 2016
    @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh
    One way of elimination "Can be" to understand the thought process that the guy may have used while he was framing the question..
    For example,
    With reference to dugong, which of the following is correct?
    1. Its a herbivorous marine animal.
    2. It is found along the entire coast.
    3. It is given legal protection under schedule I of wildlife act 1972.

a. 1 and 2
    b. 2 only
    c. 1 and 3
    d. 3 only

Every year or at least once in two years.. You can see a question or two about important animals in India..
    He looks up maybe in the schedules of wild life act or maybe vulnerable or endangered lists or list of animals that have been in the news lately. Once the guy decides to ask a question on dugong, whats the first thing he can do?
    He will obviously go through some source to know more about the animal..

1. Its a herbivorous marine animal - Why did he choose this statement? Unlike the questions in various test series, options in upsc are not meant to confuse students but are framed in a way to guage factual/analytical concepts.
    For people who know dugong is also called sea cow, it may be easy to guess its a marine animal..
    its quite obvious that upsc wont expect the students to know whether the animal is a herbivore or the guy framing the question wont trick on "herbivore" part. I mean i dont know about others but thats the way i feel. So when i see such statements, I feel its picked as it is from the source.

2. It is found along the entire coast.
    Usually statements which indicate extreme values are not true. The animal is not commonly heard of, the source would have obviously mentioned some specific places where they are found. If the guy had mentioned some specific places, i would have felt its true, but instead its a statement with extreme value, isiliye i felt it must be false.

3. Legal protection under schedule I - People who have seen the list know how long it is :tongue:
    I cant expect guy to see which animals are not protected under such a long list and therefore make a false statement..Too much of time waste if i was the guy framing the question.. The statement again, is picked up as it is from the source.. Therefore it must be true..

1 and 3 is correct.

You may have noticed this, Tukka cant be made out of thin air.. one should have atleast a little idea(sea cow, the length of the wpa,1972 schedule list) about the question.. Or else tukka will definitely become sukka :D

Good Bye. See you Later.
  • maximbady said:

i have appeared in a number of upsc exams involving gs paper.. and have attempted 100 per cent all the time.. what i have from my experience/ananlysis is .. the type of questions can be divided into three heads..
    1. the questions you are almost certain about (80-100% certainity)...lets call them sure shot ones... i will usually get 8 or 9/10 correct in this type( even if one goes attempting questions with 100 per cent certainity one will still get nearly 10 per cent wrong)
    2. the questions which you are absolutely blank about.. you dont have any idea at all..either you have left the subject completely or you are hearing about that topic for the first time..
    now tukkas in these questions even out if the sample space is large.. i.e. lets say there are 16 such questions.. trust me if you are extremly lucky you will get 6/16 and if extremely unlucky 2/16.. i.e. with negative marking ...it will be a range of nearly (-5 , 5) marks on 16 questions.. thats nearly (-0.33,0.33) marks per question..

the art lies in dealing with type 3... however since the variation in attempting type 2 is very low..one can avoid these completely..there is a pro and con related with that..
    pro: you save time.. when you know nothing like john snow.. you tend to make a wierd logic .. what can be.. what should be type.. it takes time.. puts pressure on your mind and eventually half of the time you will end up getting negative marks for the excercise..

con: you are in a hurry to skip the question.. i.e. a question which by applying a little bit pressure on your brain could have been a type 3 question .. you end up leaving it..

now the type 3 ones really pay high dividends..(unless you are really unlucky that day)...there is no art.. perhaps few thumb rules..
    1. if there is a option which in the recent past you have come across... and your subconscious is yelling about go for it.. most of the time it will be right..
    2. the statement/option which is the most loaded one with information .. has a good probability of being right..
    3. in the statement questions unless you know the statement is wrong, assume that the statement is right( except those containing date/year.. upsc has a habit of playing with dates).. in this regard you have to practice with upsc previous year papers for this.. coaching papers tend to tweak 8/10 statements.. so being in that temperament you will end up looking at every statement very suspiciously ..

Disclaimer: i have only shared my experience/analysis.. i am neither discouraging nor encouraging anyone to go for 100 questions or aggressive guess making.. play the game at your own risk :)

I completely agree with the bold part. :+1:
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • have rarely used tukkas.i missed 2014 prelims by 1 mark due to some gut instinct wala tukkas.
    in 2015 i just attempted questions which i was sure of.had calculated my score to be around115, and then made 3 tukkas.2 wrong 1 right.
    do not make blind tukkas, use only when you are sure only about two choices.

"i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • pizza said:

maximbady said:

i have appeared in a number of upsc exams involving gs paper.. and have attempted 100 per cent all the time.. what i have from my experience/ananlysis is .. the type of questions can be divided into three heads..

I completely agree with the bold part. :+1:
    +1
  • @yo_yo_choti_singh
    Similar examples,

With reference to the use of nano-technology in health sector, which of the following statements is/are correct?
    1. Targeted drug delivery is made possible by nanotechnology.
    2. Nanotechnology can largely contribute to gene therapy.
    Select the correct answer using the code given below.
    (a) 1 only
    (b) 2 only
    (c) Both 1 and 2
    (d) Neither 1 nor 2

statement 1: Out of all the technologies in the health sector, choosing something specific like "targeted drug delivery" to make a false statement? Highly improbable because it would take time to search for things which are "not associated" with something. Usually the internet or any source if full of result that involve associations with something.
    Therefore statement has to be true.

Statement 2: Again "gener therapy" is something specific and has to be true. Also notice the word "Can". Usually words like can, may be are true.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the context of modem scientific research, consider the following statements about ‘lceCube’, a particle detector located at South Pole, which was recently in the news :
    1. It is the world’s largest neutrino detector, encompassing a cubic kilometre of ice.
    2. It is a powerful telescope to search for dark matter.
    3. It is buried deep in the ice.
    (a) 1 only
    (b) 2 and 3 only
    (c) 1 and 3 only
    (d) 1, 2 and 3

Statement 1: As maximbady said, a statement with full of info is mostly true. "largest" "neutrino detector" "cubic kilometre" "ice". 4 pieces of information
    Statement 2: "Telescope" and "Dark matter" are specific words, they have to be true.
    Statement 3: Buried deep in ice. This one is tough, You really cant guess if its inside or outside. But the options made it easy.. Since there is no 1 and 2 option.. it also has to be true :D
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • MD47 said:

Tukka making is a real thing but I think it give results only when one knew something related to that topic( Long term memory+ Common sense plays An important part here)

+101
  • Just wanted to share my 2 cents here.

I gave my first attempt in 2015. I have given many mock tests before and it is safe to say that I had ample practice in attempting the paper. However, sitting inside an examination hall is entirely a different game. I realised it once the invigilator was distributing the paper and all sorts of 'strategies' that are to be employed were revolving in my mind. Here's what I did.

I went through a quick glance at all 100 questions, did not touch the OMR and attempted the questions on the question paper which I am 100% confident of. Somewhere around 40 were answered. The second round required greater scrutiny and elimination of options (no guesses) and that added another 20 questions to the tally. Now I started to mark these on the OMR carefully, so that I won't screw up with the question-answer combo. The third round was very difficult and I attempted questions which I was 95% sure of and this made my final tally to 64.

My final result was 58:6, with a score of 112 and I am in for the second round.

TL;DR - Never did any so called 'tukka', but eliminating options will easily add 5-10 questions.
  • pizza said:

@yo_yo_choti_singh
    Similar examples,

With reference to the use of nano-technology in health sector, which of the following statements is/are correct?
    (a) 1 only
    (b) 2 only
    (c) Both 1 and 2
    (d) Neither 1 nor 2

statement 1: Out of all the technologies in the health sector, choosing something specific like "targeted drug delivery" to make a false statement? Highly improbable because it would take time to search for things which are "not associated" with something. Usually the internet or any source if full of result that involve associations with something.

Statement 2: Again "gener therapy" is something specific and has to be true. Also notice the word "Can". Usually words like can, may be are true.

In the context of modem scientific research, consider the following statements about ‘lceCube’, a particle detector located at South Pole, which was recently in the news :
    1. It is the world’s largest neutrino detector, encompassing a cubic kilometre of ice.
    (a) 1 only
    (b) 2 and 3 only
    (c) 1 and 3 only
    (d) 1, 2 and 3

Statement 1: As maximbady said, a statement with full of info is mostly true. "largest" "neutrino detector" "cubic kilometre" "ice". 4 pieces of information
    Statement 2: "Telescope" and "Dark matter" are specific words, they have to be true.
    Statement 3: Buried deep in ice. This one is tough, You really cant guess if its inside or outside. But the options made it easy.. Since there is no 1 and 2 option.. it also has to be true :D

Upsc sometimes do this.
    They give question about laddakh wala observatory and give some options from Western ghat wala observatory or Ligo observatory.. options would be as specific as in these above questions. These days some coaching test series (always try to copy upsc, unsuccessfully mostly) also following the same method to confuse the test takers... Your formula seems workable in case if we know one option.
    But is baar mai jai mata di bol ke try karunga ye wala concept agar kuch bhi idea nahi hoga options ka. :D
  • pizza said:

@yo_yo_choti_singh
    Similar examples,

(a) 1 only
    (b) 2 only
    (c) Both 1 and 2
    (d) Neither 1 nor 2

(a) 1 only
    (b) 2 and 3 only
    (c) 1 and 3 only
    (d) 1, 2 and 3

Good analysis ++1
    I am the one who knocks...
  • Never go for blind gasses bros. u should b able to eliminate atleast one option . Preferably two.
    hey bro
  • Try to mark the option which is different from other three like zero. If u don't distinguish between options, try to relate them with all your life experience, your inner conscious will guide you to go with the option.
  • Blind gasses may not be seen but they pinch very hard after result. Pain is real
    hey bro
  • edited July 2016

pizza said:

(a) 1 only
    (b) 2 and 3 only
    (c) 1 and 3 only
    (d) 1, 2 and 3

I hadn't heard about IceCube at all until then. But in this question, I knew neutrino detectors are placed underground to prevent interference and all that.
    So I took S1 and 3 as correct.
    For S2, I thought "How can a telescope be placed underground?", without paying much attention to the dark matter.
    As a result, I marked option C and it turned out to be incorrect.

Moral: You won't be sure whether you are using the correct line of reasoning in the exam hall or not. So educated tukkas are advisable only when you have sufficient leeway -- like you've attempted ~60-65 questions with sufficient accuracy. Blind tukkabaazi is a strict no-no.

+1

In that NFC question last year, they had tweaked with the range of NFC, a fact. Tweaking with numbers is not unheard of then. :/
    The white raven has come. Winter is finally here.
  • BAN ALL INSIDERS
  • tukka making should not constitute a major part ofyour attemppt else it can backfire like Sh!t ... i been a victim
    कृपया यहां ज्ञान न बांटे यहां सभी ज्ञानी है
  • koi kuch bhi bole leaving aside those who have 95%+ accuracy and clear with less than 65 attempt,the rest of us are dependent on luck in one way or another.On a good day one might be comfortably clearing by a 30 marks margin and failing by 1-2 mks on another.Even those few with 95% accuracy might hurt if they attempt very less or make even a few silly mistakes on account of a difficult Paper.Bottomline is it all depends on the 2 hr russian roulette that gs csp is,people having studied fr years and cleared mains etc havent cleared pre whereas a few non serious banking/ssc aspirants made it with 110+ last year.So decide everything on that first sunday of aug and best we can do is self confidence and belief.People starting pre study today might make it whereas those who have done everything 5 times already won't.So be smart,attempt in an optimal range and just hope that its your day and believe in yourself.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
  • Tukka is art or not i don't know but i have felt..
    "when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

though it is a quote by Coelho...its true to the core.

Believe me it happens.
    ust listen to your Subconscious once.By,7th you would have done your part.On the D-Day its your mind and Destiny.

“Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.”
  • It is good @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh , that you opened this thread after the papers have been set for the year.
    UPSC reads these threads and won't hesitate in tweaking the questions to circumvent these giveaways next year.

P.S.: For those who think that is not possible, they know what ForumIAS is and they asked Neyawn about it in his interview too. AS ma'am once also asked someone what the Forum public thought of her, if I remember correctly.. :tongue:

bhai fir to is bar Vision CA and Nitin Singhania se kuch nahi ayega :D
  • pizza said:

(a) 1 only
    (b) 2 and 3 only
    (c) 1 and 3 only
    (d) 1, 2 and 3

I hadn't heard about IceCube at all until then. But in this question, I knew neutrino detectors are placed underground to prevent interference and all that.
    For S2, I thought "How can a telescope be placed underground?", without paying much attention to the dark matter.

Moral: You won't be sure whether you are using the correct line of reasoning in the exam hall or not. So educated tukkas are advisable only when you have sufficient leeway -- like you've attempted ~60-65 questions with sufficient accuracy. Blind tukkabaazi is a strict no-no.

I would like to humbly point out a thing if you dont mind :tongue:
    "How can a telescope be placed underground?" is something which we are reasoning through our knowledge base, This sort of reasoning works only when we are 100% sure of the fact. In this case, we are not sure about it.

Therefore it would have been more beneficial if you had thought from the point of view of the guy who framed the question.
    Why is the word "telescope" present here? Just think why did he use something specific like a telescope to make a wrong statement?
    imagine the number of sources he has to go through just to make sure "Telescopes cant be used to detect neutrinos" :tongue: ... Its highly improbable that people are ready to take up so much work just to confuse students, unless they are coaching centres :D

ps, this is just logical reasoning when u have some idea(About the telescope). And yes i too agree that blind tukkebaazi is harmful.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • pizza said:

pizza said:

(a) 1 only
    (b) 2 and 3 only
    (c) 1 and 3 only
    (d) 1, 2 and 3

I would like to humbly point out a thing if you dont mind :tongue:
    "How can a telescope be placed underground?" is something which we are reasoning through our knowledge base, This sort of reasoning works only when we are 100% sure of the fact. In this case, we are not sure about it.

Therefore it would have been more beneficial if you had thought from the point of view of the guy who framed the question.
    Why is the word "telescope" present here? Just think why did he use something specific like a telescope to make a wrong statement?
    imagine the number of sources he has to go through just to make sure "Telescopes cant be used to detect neutrinos" :tongue: ... Its highly improbable that people are ready to take up so much work just to confuse students, unless they are coaching centres :D

ps, this is just logical reasoning when u have some idea(About the telescope). And yes i too agree that blind tukkebaazi is harmful.
    Main bhi ek point rakhun :/

Exam dene ke bad right question ki reasoning kitni bhi divyang ho sahi lagti hai or galat hone ke bad kitni bhi sahi ho divyang he lagegi, 'arey yar eise sochna chahiye tha, s*** " :neutral: :/
    theek hai bhai, tum bina comment pade comment kar rahe ho toh main kuch nhi keh sakta :D
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • edited July 2016
    Growing up is the name of learning how to tell lies in a sophisticated manner..or to say in sophisticated language.."putting yourself across in way that everybody likes you". In social interactions form is always more important than content..to listen patiently and speak lies artistically is the best way to run social life smoothly i.e. understand everything but say only that thing which makes you people's favorite or at least don't make people indifferent or hostile for you.

Most surprising part is everybody goes to any extent to assert without any proof that how truthful he/she is ..or what fondness for truth he/she has. In economical terminology there is huge demand for truth but very less supply because traders of truth have done vulgar hoarding :wink:

Yeah! people like truth but only when it serves their interest..i rarely encounter a human being hard-wired in a way to like the truth even if it is hurting his/her interest.
    Why to be a "dahi bhalla" when you can become fried split black gram dumpling smothered with sweetened yoghurt, tamarind and mint sauce.
  • KrurSingh said:

It is good @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh , that you opened this thread after the papers have been set for the year.
    UPSC reads these threads and won't hesitate in tweaking the questions to circumvent these giveaways next year.

P.S.: For those who think that is not possible, they know what ForumIAS is and they asked Neyawn about it in his interview too. AS ma'am once also asked someone what the Forum public thought of her, if I remember correctly.. :tongue:

krur singh, comprehension practice kar lena ek bar :P .. he is talking about next year not this year ...:D...
    bhai isiliye maine "next year" wala part highlight nahi kiya tha.... :D

waise accha yaad dilaya ....last year se abhi tak apti ek baar bhi dekha....ab se roz 3-4 question karunga... :)

KrurSingh said:

It is good @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh , that you opened this thread after the papers have been set for the year.

krur singh, comprehension practice kar lena ek bar :P .. he is talking about next year not this year ...:D...
    Na na..
    Krur is correct.
    Since last prelims, everyone has been telling that Vision is sufficent-2.
    So UPSC may choose to deliberately select topics not covered in Vision.. :/

Though I feel that for prelims, the "dynamic" portion has now become static; everyone covers it from the same 2-3 sources.
    The basic subjects are becoming more dynamic. UPSC is already venturing into hitherto uncharted territory in history; maybe this time it will do so in polity or geo. :cry:
    It is scary..
    yeh sub kaisi ashubh baatein kar rhe ho :confounded: :cry:

Krur bhai sorry, main comprehension practice kar ke jaunga :P :D
    baat to sach me ashubh hi hai main sirf vision CA hi kar raha hu.....and agar usme se nahi aya to.... :s :'( :cold_sweat:
  • I feel tukka making is more productive for senior players...who know something about most of the questions....it could be fatal for freshers.And in 2011-13 papers,these tricks works quite well...even if you don't know anything you can make some question right through common sense.But now upsc is making question paper more factual 2015 CSE and 2016 capf.where the scope of tukka is very limited.
  • @Sir_Potassium_Pandey , shall we call them Truthitutes? :D :D

Certainly yes! if they have been successful truthitouts in the non-commodity market :wink:
    Why to be a "dahi bhalla" when you can become fried split black gram dumpling smothered with sweetened yoghurt, tamarind and mint sauce.
This discussion has been closed.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google