‘Microbial toxins found in popular e-cigarettes’ In a first, NASA probe detects ‘marsquake’ on the Red Planet HC lifts ban on TikTok, but with a caveat IEPF Authority in a major success recovers Rs 1514 Cr of Depositors Money Madras High Court bats for extending legal abortion period upto 24 weeks
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Preference: IAS/IPS/IFS/IRS ?

edited July 2013 in Miscellaneous
Have heard that topper generally goes for IAS making it to be the most most demanding service . However i have heard that , IFS is also prefferd service among the topper.
I would like to know from you guys about how much it is reality and how much is myth.

Regards

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Ias is most prefered no doubt about that.
    Generaly scenario is
    ias-ifs/ips-irs
    but it depends on personel choices.
  • I think IFS is least preferred now among IAS IPS and IFS. Despite of very few vacancies in IFS, IPS and IFS both closed at almost same rank.
  • but service allocation data says that IFS is equally favorite among toppers.....
  • I think IFS is least preferred now among IAS IPS and IFS. Despite of very few vacancies in IFS, IPS and IFS both closed at almost same rank.
    Check Personnel department site, mate. IFS generally closes around 150 and IPS around 300. That's hardly the same rank!
  • Will cross the bridge when I get there.

Still undecided on this topic. I mean, you know all the functions/scope of each from Pub Ad etc but the nuances, scope for deputation and further promotion, satisfaction among others are still variable factors. I do not know which one to pick,yet.
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
    Check Personnel department site, mate. IFS generally closes around 150 and IPS around 300. That's hardly the same rank!
    Actually I got it wrong because I was concentrating on frequency of candidates opting for IPS. If you will look at rank wise merit list between rank 100 and rank 160 ( IPS allocation started from 101) round about 20 got IPS and 16-17 got IFS. This was for 2011.
    In 2010 till rank 140 where IFS allocation ended 17 got IFS and 24 ended with IPS. Moreover some opting for IPS because of medical test failure end with IFS. So the intention was to convey that preferance for IPS is marginally greater than IFS.
    Thanks for making correction
    :)
  • Another thing to factor in is that you cannot take the exam again if you are allotted IFS. So many people who have attempts left will put IPS as second choice, so that they have another shot at IAS.
  • IAS have always enjoyed no. 1 choice, followed by IPS , but if by IFS you mean Foreign Service then I would choose IFS ( as if some1 has offered me :D ) as my second option for sure. Reason- "IFS is the highest central service in term of prestige ,status, pay and emolument ,competes with AIS in terms of position status"
    Source- Our very own Laxmikanth !
    What though the field be lost
    All is not lost
    The unconquerable will and the courage
    Never to submit or yield- Zahiruddin Babar
  • @asim
    If i am alotted IFS i wont hesitate to opt for it.
    Like @arav_kumar2013 said quite aptly ....
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • @asim
    If i am alotted IFS i wont hesitate to opt for it.
    Like @arav_kumar2013 said quite aptly ....
    I quite agree with you. In fact, IFS is my second choice as well.

However, of late, regardless of what Laxmikanth says, there is a debate on the quality of work of a young IFS officer as compared to a Collector (IAS) or SP (IPS) who have huge responsibility in district admin. I have read that things have changed quite a bit from the days when IFS was the top choice (in the 60s and 70s). When Nehru was PM, he used to personally interview each IFS recruit to decide his country of posting :)
  • edited July 2013
    @PoliceWala
    Will cross the bridge when I get there.

Still undecided on this topic. I mean, you know all the functions/scope of each from Pub Ad etc but the nuances, scope for deputation and further promotion, satisfaction among others are still variable factors. I do not know which one to pick,yet.
    Bro I thought you'd opt for IPS because of your name!!! :)
    When victory is certain, even the cowards can fight.
    Brave are those who fight even when their defeat is certain.
  • @PoliceWala

Bro I thought you'd opt for IPS because of your name!!! :)
    Yeah, that would be true if I had decided. My choices keep evolving. On some morning after I read the Hindu and I see India's foreign policy being held hostage by Maldives, I want to be an IFS officer. Similarly, somedays I feel IAS is the best as it gives me a wider spectrum to act in. IPS is for obvious Khaki Vardi and tashan and Dabangg/Gangajal and all that. I guess when I was choosing my username, I was in one of those IPS moods.

So yeah, I need to sit down and think maturely someday over this. Hopefully, this pre result will provide me this much awaited opportunity. :)
    A republic without a pub is a relic | Criticize the post, not the poster |
  • I must say, I thought it was only guys new to the whole upsc preparation who felt that their minds were wavering such as myself.

After 3 months over, I just feel even more confused than I was way before starting, although surely I am intellectually more powerful.

@PoliceWala Bhai you make me happy as well as scared because as we know so much of time and efforts go into getting into that top 150 or so rank list, and if one feels he has taken a wrong turn after service allocation then it can prove costly.

It gets me thinking, the final round, they call it personality test, wouldn't it be appropriate if they really do recommend services based on an individual's personality?

Or would a psychological determiner help us know more about ourselves? such as Meyer-Briggs test?

P.S. I am attaching the link for the Meyer-Briggs personality test.
    It's interesting although surely it can't analyze in-depth each individual's personality but can help in getting ideas.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Let's just share the results for fun.

I am an INTP, apparently same personality grouping as Einstein :P
    Be a loner. That gives you time to wonder, to search for the truth. Have holy curiosity. Make your life worth living. - Albert Einstein
  • @srinath - I took that test 2-3 times........results varied :P ENTJ (Fieldmarshals) / INTJ (Masterminds) - Confused about whick one to pick :))
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • ISTJ.
    Apparently Harry truman & our beloved schumachher share this type of personality .
    :-)
    The fault , dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings .
  • @ArindamSarkar Yeah mine varied too :D but majority was INTP
    Be a loner. That gives you time to wonder, to search for the truth. Have holy curiosity. Make your life worth living. - Albert Einstein
  • @ArindamSarkar

Although yours is a bit extreme, in one result you are an extrovert and in another introvert @-)
  • edited July 2013
    @ArindamSarkar Yeah mine varied too :D but majority was INTP
    Yeah mine has INTJ 3/5 times that I've taken it till now - other 2 were ENTJ...
    @ArindamSarkar

Although yours is a bit extreme, in one result you are an extrovert and in another introvert @-)
    That's the reason for the " :P " and " :)) "

Guess, I'll choose depending upon service allotment (I know, getting ahead of myself).
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • @srinath - I took that test 2-3 times........results varied :P ENTJ (Fieldmarshals) / INTJ (Masterminds) - Confused about whick one to pick :))
    mine has always been INFP. took this test quite a lot of times when psycho was an option.
    it says i should be an author >:)
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
    mine has always been INFP. took this test quite a lot of times when psycho was an option.
    it says i should be an author >:)
    "education is the movement from Darkness to Light :)" - That's a nice start. :P
  • @Woodpecker

Rousseau, Orwell, Camus, Shakespeare, Rowling..writing definitely seems perfect

On the flip side, John Kerry seems to make it in INFP too

Diplomacy maybe?
  • edited July 2013
    @srinath haha. their writing seems perfect not mine. :-&

diplomacy has always been an attractive option and also my first choice (IFS). let's see what this magic hat(life) has to offer.

i only know one thing- Predictions always go wrong while Preparation never does. :)

@ArindamSarkar "education is the movement from Darkness to Light sirjee you should be an author or a motivational speaker (maybe).. :D
  • @woodpecker that is your bottom line!

education is the movement from Darkness to Light

Check it out!

Lolz! :D
  • @woodpecker that is your bottom line!

education is the movement from Darkness to Light

Check it out!

Lolz! :D
    hahaha. rofl.. mother of ignorance. =)) did not pay attention. apologies. =)) =))
  • Got INTJ, cant say unexpected coz i know im an introvert and i have to say i like being one. :)
  • edited July 2013
    We introverts have been shunned a lot in the modern world. It definitely led me to have a lot of negativity during school and college, thankfully I am over all that. This has made me a kind of informal motivational speaker for all young 'uns, (school and college kids)whosoever cares to listen.

The point is the world needs us introverts. We make good listeners, we make good strategists, we make good analyzers and maybe better lovers too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4
  • We introverts have been shunned a lot in the modern world. It definitely led me to have a lot of negativity during school and college, thankfully I am over all that. This has made me a kind of informal motivational speaker for all young 'uns, (school and college kids)whosoever cares to listen.

The point is the world needs us introverts. We make good listeners, we make good strategists, we make good analyzers and maybe better lovers too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4
    +1 to that bro.
    Cheers
  • @ArindamSarkar The I-E dichtomy is quite common. Most people lie in the grey areas between types esp I-E. So basically you'd be xNTJ.

Cheers!!
  • @ArindamSarkar The I-E dichtomy is quite common. Most people lie in the grey areas between types esp I-E. So basically you'd be xNTJ.

Cheers!!
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google