ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MITRA'S IAS - "ADMISSION OPEN" - NEW BATCH BEGINNING WITH WESTERN PHILOSOPHY STARTING FROM 16th NOVEMBER 11.AM (LIMITED SEATS)
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
Website:- www.mitrasias.com;  Address: MITRAS IAS , 39 PUSA ROAD, SAMAYAK TOWER OPPOSITE METRO PILLAR NO.- 120

I am quitting on Geography

Enough is enough...I dont know what these hexa and octagenerians at sealed chambers and gated walls of UPSC upto...why cant they leave geography or for that sake any optional alone..why cant there be neutral checking of mains paper judging candidate on merit...2012, 13 and now 15 have seen heavy onslaught on geography.. I am tired of keeping my future onto MOOD SWINGS of UPSC and at last, quitting on Geography optional......
PS: please suggest some good optional guyz

Comments

• padteraho said:

Enough is enough...I dont know what these hexa and octagenerians at sealed chambers and gated walls of UPSC upto...why cant they leave geography or for that sake any optional alone..why cant there be neutral checking of mains paper judging candidate on merit...2012, 13 and now 15 have seen heavy onslaught on geography.. I am tired of keeping my future onto MOOD SWINGS of UPSC and at last, quitting on Geography optional......

:o sir aapke marks kya the geo me pichle attempts me..??
    btw if u have decided to leave then Political Science,Anthro or any Science optional(in case u have any interest or knowledge) but with the time remaining Anthro is the most suited one (again no guarantee of selction.)
  • bass ye samjh lo geography was the biggest drag...
  • but sir what cud be the best optional in this less amount of time......... i am asking for mains 2016
  • but sir what cud be the best optional in this less amount of time......... i am asking for mains 2016

I would have chosen Anthro.(but please don't underestimate this subject.) Next in line is political science. Some also suggest that Philosophy can be done in 3 months but I highly doubt..just do some research and choose accordingly.
  • bhai kuchh samajh nahi aa raha .............ab kya kiya jaye...............ye to recession type ka condition hai

I would have chosen Anthro.(but please don't underestimate this subject.) Next in line is political science. Some also suggest that Philosophy can be done in 3 months but I highly doubt..just do some research and choose accordingly.
    yes bro don't underestimate anthro.. it was easy before 2011 when u could do just by reading 50% syllabus.. now they are going into social part as well..
    2015- prelims failed by 1 mark
    2016 - missed final list by 9 marks
    2017- missed final list by 4 marks
  • performance of political science was good last yr also................but after so much reading is it rational to quit geography at this time and will it be possible to complete any other subject in just 3 months after pre exam...........

bro I am shivering by fear .............. what to do next really unable to decide..............

Philosophy can be done in 3 months but avg prep can only be achieved..i.e. relying 100% on notes only..baki guarantee wagere ka koi pata nahi..n marks efforts k hisab se mile ye bhi guarantee nhi
    pre - 2, mains - 1*

Philosophy can be done in 3 months but avg prep can only be achieved..i.e. relying 100% on notes only..baki guarantee wagere ka koi pata nahi..n marks efforts k hisab se mile ye bhi guarantee nhi
    Any other subject ???? ....................really cant explain how I am feeling right now.............I am raising question mark over myself..........whether it is good to continue geography or is it the right time to explore some thing else..
  • performance of political science was good last yr also................but after so much reading is it rational to quit geography at this time and will it be possible to complete any other subject in just 3 months after pre exam...........

bro I am shivering by fear .............. what to do next really unable to decide..............

when after giving so much efforts and attempt u r not able to get good marks and u know thats its that optional which is dragging u without knowing what else u can do to improve then its always better to change ur optional..kehne ka matlab jab dil aur dimag dono bole ki optional change kar do to change ur optional..it is possible to finish optionals in 3 months depends on what kind of strategy u incorporate for preparations.

performance of political science was good last yr also................but after so much reading is it rational to quit geography at this time and will it be possible to complete any other subject in just 3 months after pre exam...........

• padteraho said:

Bro you are senior aspirant...............you wud have touch nerve of geography..............

I agree wid u in low success rate of geography this time also........but which subject can be completed in less time frame of 3 months after pre??????????

Do you have any idea........I am not and I have no one in ORN or MN so really cant evaluate........pls suggest
  • What about Psychology? Can it be finished in 3 months?
  • edited May 2016
    Ifvu want to change then think of political science...take guidance from shubra ranjan or atleast read her notes u will get through.
  • padteraho said:

:o sir aapke marks kya the geo me pichle attempts me..??
    btw if u have decided to leave then Political Science,Anthro or any Science optional(in case u have any interest or knowledge) but with the time remaining Anthro is the most suited one (again no guarantee of selction.) </blockquot
    This only a myth I am leaving philo and taking geo.
  • yaar i dont know which one to take.. but many in my circle are suggesting anthro which has many similarities with geog...and most probably i will also go with that.. its high time that geog should be vacated
  • padteraho said:

yaar i dont know which one to take.. but many in my circle are suggesting anthro which has many similarities with geog...and most probably i will also go with that.. its high time that geog should be vacated

Anthro k kuch books padhe the pehele..ek Nadeem Husnain ka tha..Physical Anthropology me maza ayega agar Biology tha 10+2 tak..baki to general hi hai
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
  • @Defcon1 bhai PSIR has highest pass percentage acc to official UPSC annual report at 10%, while for geog it is 5% and 4% for pub ad...
  • yaa i know.. i was comparing only conventional subjects with candidates >1000 writing mains...
  • maths lo bhai
    thok mei nikl rahe hain maths wale
  • Nevertheless, PSIR and Geography will be butchered this year, so no point making so much hue and cry.
  • mei bi geog pidhit hun... RKS ke answers padhe honge yahan pr logo ne.. aise ans likhke bi uska ni hua... ab toh bhgwan bi maalik ni hai phr
  • edited May 2016
    Neitzsche said:

Nevertheless, PSIR and Geography will be butchered this year, so no point making so much hue and cry.

how do you know both will be butchered ?
  • Just wondering! There are many who wean away from Geo and Pub ad every year? How come the numbers are still big? Or is it really big particularly with Pub ad? Would be really interested to know how many appeared with Pub ad in 2015 mains
  • padteraho said:

Neitzsche said:

Nevertheless, PSIR and Geography will be butchered this year, so no point making so much hue and cry.

how do you know both will be butchered ?
    Because In the interview prep thread, someone in his interview said The chairman said there are too many students entering with Geography, we should do something about it--- this explains geography.

PSIR - ever since Pubad started getting butchered, people started flocking towards pol science coz syllabus were similar on many fronts. People also took this subject coz it overlaps quite a bit with GS syllabus. Selection rates in the mains have been consistently high for PSIR for the last 2 years. Its becoming top notch choice for engineers, hell even doctors are no more opting for medical science or anthropology and are going for PSIR. If anyone can see it, I am sure UPSC will see it too.
  • agle saal kiske chances hai butchering ke?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog