Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Click Here to Subscribe for the classes.
Classes to be held every Monday and Tuesday, 5 PM. 

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

What is the difference between Nirvana and Moksha?

edited April 2016 in History & Culture
1-are nirvana and moksha same concepts in Hinduism?
2-buddism denied moksha but defined nirvana.
Does Buddhism consider both things as different?

Moksha means getting rid of cycle of death and birth.if I understand correctly in Hinduism it is obtained after death .what is nirvana in hinduism then?is it same like moksha in Hinduism??

Nirvana means getting rid of cycle and birth in the lifetime itself ,by following moral code.this is as per Buddhism.
Buddism denied moksha.

There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
Usain bolt

Comments

• Philosophy,history, spiritual people.plz enlighten me,by throwing some ray .
    Usain bolt
  • @Usainbolt @Captain_Peroxide

Nirvana is the state of supreme realisation. Ultimate bliss or happiness. A mind free from all emotions..namely anger, worry, lust etc. In this state lies what Buddha called as "Enlightenment".

Moksha refers to transendence of Soul. In simpler terms salvation from cycle of birth and death.

In Buddhism, following, eight fold path leads to Nirvana.

Attaining Nirvana, is a step further towards Moksha.

Only an Enlightened person can attain Moksha.

This is from my understanding. A philosophy student can give a better picture.
  • The definition of Moksha also varies from philosophy to Philosophy.

For Advaita Vedanta ( a subpart of Vedanta school) moksha is assocaited with concept of "Jeevanmukata" which in a way relates to "Enlightened person" but no such emphasis on "salvation form cycle of birth and death".

For them, Atama and Parmatama are same and understading of this fact can bring them liberation while they are living. This understanding is though very hard to come. :)
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
  • edited April 2016
    Yes .
    Six schools of philosophy and other various like dvait,advait,dvait advait,vishishtaadvait,shuddaadvait philosophies etetc. have their own ways to achieve salvation. All have same objective but path chosen is different.
    But my question is still not clear.
    Thanks @IWRA @Captain_Peroxide @MISSION for giving your insight.
    Usain bolt
  • I think here when we compare nirvana of Buddhism and moksha of Hinduism ,we need to include or for that matter consider the point of transmigration of soul.
    In Buddhism transmigration of soul is not accepted, whereas in Hinduism transmigration of soul is considered.
    So ,in Buddhism since no transmigration of soul so attain nirvana in lifetime itself, but in Hinduism there is concept of transmigration so moksha is after death.
    I thing is a connecting link,and the basis for difference.
    What do you say @IWRA @MISSION .
    Usain bolt
  • @Usainbolt yes..u got it right..this is the connecting link.

• Buddha's Dharma doesn't believe in soul as is believed in all other religions i.e. an invisible infinitely small entity living inside body separate from it. It believes in consciousness/mind which is property of body being in nature/universe. So, it doesn't believe in Vedic concept of transmigration i.e. soul going from body to body after death.

So as MISSION above said Nirvana is supreme realisation of nature of reality and mind and results in genuine happiness. It is a state of mind free from all negative emotions like anger, hate, delusion, pride, worry, lust etc. which leaves one with only positive emotions like love, kindness, humility, understanding, peace etc. One who discovers/realises Nirvana by himself is called a Buddha. So, Buddha is a title and not a name. One who reaches Nirvana with help of Buddha is called Arhat/Arahant.

Whereas Advaita Vedanta (major strand of present hinduism) which is based on Vedas believes in individual soul - Atman and an universal soul - Brahman. Until individual souls inside bodies of living beings don't achieve Moksha they reincarnate/transmigrate based on actions of previous life in an higher or lower being. When an individual realises that he was all along a part of Brahman, he achieves Moksha and is freed from cycle of birth and death when he dies.

So, strictly speaking there is no Moksha in Buddhism and no Nirvana in Hinduism but lay people use them interchangeably.

Sorry for such long reply but I think it is necessary to clear doubts. Hope your questions are answered. o:)
  • @srikanth_theseeker thanks for elaborating it further and making it clear.

As you mentioned one who realises himself is called Buddha.
    Is this sentence hinting towards Bodhisattva?
    Usain bolt
  • IWRA said:

The definition of Moksha also varies from philosophy to Philosophy.

For Advaita Vedanta ( a subpart of Vedanta school) moksha is assocaited with concept of "Jeevanmukata" which in a way relates to "Enlightened person" but no such emphasis on "salvation form cycle of birth and death".

For them, Atama and Parmatama are same and understading of this fact can bring them liberation while they are living. This understanding is though very hard to come. :)

If that understanding dawned upon a person, one would definitely 'renounce' upsc.
  • I want to read philosophy for knowledge purpose only not for exams. Kindly suggest some good books where I can develope a basic understanding of philosophy( specially hindi books). TIA
  • MISSION said:

@Usainbolt @Captain_Peroxide

Nirvana is the state of supreme realisation. Ultimate bliss or happiness. A mind free from all emotions..namely anger, worry, lust etc. In this state lies what Buddha called as "Enlightenment".

Moksha refers to transendence of Soul. In simpler terms salvation from cycle of birth and death.

In Buddhism, following, eight fold path leads to Nirvana.

Attaining Nirvana, is a step further towards Moksha.

Only an Enlightened person can attain Moksha.

This is from my understanding. A philosophy student can give a better picture.

+++++++++++++++++1
  • According to the Bhagwat Gita, you keep imbibing Karma till such time that you live in ignorance of Avidya. Once you realise the Supreme Truth of non-discontinuity with Brahman, you break the shackles of Karma.

You live out your life experiencing the fruits of the Karma you had accumulated till such point and all your future actions become 'Nishkarma Karma' - they do not accrue.

Rebirth being an effect of Karma, also ceases. Again, being one with Brahman, you transcend the concept of life and death.

This aforementioned point is the Hindu equivalent of the Buddhist state of Nirvana. Moksha, in Hinduism, follows this point. However, in Buddhism, there is no God or soul. Therefore, the concept of Moksha is both unnecessary and contrary to the Buddha's teachings. Buddha never discussed about what happened after death. For him, Nirvana was the goal. For Hindus, the equivalent state of Nirvana is the necessary removal of the hurdle against Moksha.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • >Moksha is a concept in Hinduism. Moksha in Hindu religion refers to liberation from the cycle of births and deaths as
    human life is believed to be one full of pains and sufferings.

Nirvana: Nirvana in Buddhism is believed to be a state of mind that is attained when one reaches enlightenment.
  • Thanks @Etat @mannu_madhopur .
    Etat what is avidya??
    Usain bolt
  • Nirvana is a music band. Super music!! Smells like the teen spirit, all apologies, come as you are, heart shaped box are some of the greatest songs. Dave Grohl is super on drums. Hardcore drums, dirty riffs, Trippy lyrics, and voice of legendary Kurt. Although, grunge died with its lead singer Kurt Cobain. Kurt shot himself in head in 1994. Kurt Cobain is synonymous with the word legendary.

Moksha is also a music band. It's an Indian music band. No one give a shit about them.

So Nirvana is awesome while Moksha is not.
  • ^^ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avidya_(Hinduism)

It's basically the key to Nirvana.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • edited April 2016
    nirvana:-buddhist concept, in buddhism (no soul but yes rebirth) nirvana means free from rebirth cycle ; in mahayana branch of buddhism buddhas delibretely delay/obstruct nirvana so that they can appear in world for others enlightment and bikkhu take vows for the same (means to achieve it throu meditation , good karma ,following dharma )(also u will have to must go to certain heaven even for few days necesasrily befre entering nirvana state )

moksha :-hindu concept,means are various (take dip in now-polluted ganga river at designated places,visit some temple (or die there at temple) visit holy shrine (religious tourism (which resulted in pollution and disaster liek of recent))).. what u get is also depends upon what u follow shaivites get mount kailash lok and vaishnav jan get vakoonth lok where they unite with god (aatma ka paramatam me milan )(buddhist dont beleive in soul )

similarity :- u will get away from the cycle of rebirth (UPSC final list is heaven zone and IAS/IFS is the nirvana .. and all this exam chorus of preparation is continuous rebirth and Dukha of sansar )(and some getIPS as for the enlightment of others thereby delaying there own nirvana )
    कृपया यहां ज्ञान न बांटे यहां सभी ज्ञानी है
  • Can someone explain, that if not soul- what is it, which according to Buddhism participates in rebirth?

What is that quintessential sense of identity that gets reborn again?
  • amargupta said:

Can someone explain, that if not soul- what is it, which according to Buddhism participates in rebirth?

1. Interaction of Karma and prakriti. Like waves producing secondary waves.

2. Nothing
  • Etat said:

amargupta said:

Can someone explain, that if not soul- what is it, which according to Buddhism participates in rebirth?

2. Nothing
    How can "nothing" be reborn again?
  • amargupta said:

Etat said:

amargupta said:

2. Nothing
    Nothing is reborn in Buddhism. Buddhism doesn't believe in soul or God. Reincarnation is not a part of the philosophy at all. It's basic idea is that Karma leads to effects - good or bad according to the nature of the Karma. However, life is predominantly 'dukkha.' Thus avoid negative Karma by following the 8-fold path. On a personal level, appreciation of the noble truths leads to Nirvana. This is the personal salvation.
  • I will not comment on this thread
    hey bro
  • edited April 2016
    Etat said:

amargupta said:

Etat said:

amargupta said:

2. Nothing
    Nothing is reborn in Buddhism. Buddhism doesn't believe in soul or God. Reincarnation is not a part of the philosophy at all. It's basic idea is that Karma leads to effects - good or bad according to the nature of the Karma. However, life is predominantly 'dukkha.' Thus avoid negative Karma by following the 8-fold path. On a personal level, appreciation of the noble truths leads to Nirvana. This is the personal salvation.
    Then how come dalai lama and jataka tales ?? Just curious
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    contactjaime123@gmail.com
    twitter @contactjaime123
    My Book https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B2N695F
  • edited April 2016

Etat said:

amargupta said:

Etat said:

amargupta said:

2. Nothing
    Then how come dalai lama and jataka tales ?? Just curious
    Basically, 'rebirth' doesn't mean a soul 'reincarnated,' rather an entity 'reborn.' This entity is not the same self but the same thing. Siddhartha Gautama lived only once but Buddhas have and keep coming and going.

I guess, you should see this as a post rather than a person.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirth_(Buddhism)

More : http://buddhism.about.com/od/karmaandrebirth/a/reincarnation.htm
  • @Usain_Bolt ..good question.
    You are talking about two different road leading to same destination.Now come to the point-

1. Niravana means being tasteless.You are free from any happiness, sorrow, pain etc. it is blissful state.It is a kind of state where you dont have any boundary. you can see, feel and control anything.Buddhism does not believe in soul and thats why it does not believe in Moksha. That is also why Nirvana can be attained as human only not after death because after death you dont have any existence. There might be question in mind that what about those who does not reach to niravana as there is no soul concept in buddism. It is basically memory( energy) who travels body to body untill you get nirvana..Very strange and typical concept of buddhism.

2. Buddsim does not denied moksha. Moksha means free from rebirths of soul.As soul find no existence in budhism thats why they dont talk about moksha. What Hinduism believe is that transmigration of soul. Soul is basically mini chip (energy) where all your karmic and birth information get stored birth by birth.When you reach to such a state where you are eligible for moksha , you dont require to take rebirth anymore and you get immersed into the deep ocean of supreme being.The story of soul is like a drop of water. Initially it is separated from ocean by cloud ,after rain it travels whole the earth in different different areas, different circumstances till it reaches to ocean and get immersed into it. When it get into ocean. it looses its existence as drop of water and become the whole ocean.this is concept of soul as per Hinduism. Really fascinating . Is not it?

If you need any further assistance, please drop more questions here related to this topic only.
  • Yes, I guess it's the consciousness that ought to be regrouping itself birth after birth. Pretty much like the flame from one wick to another. Good analogy.
  • ^^ Bingo. Expect a few questions in CSE for sure.
  • Thanks @Etat
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    contactjaime123@gmail.com
    twitter @contactjaime123
    My Book https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B2N695F
  • :)
  • @Usain_Bolt ..good question.
    You are talking about two different road leading to same destination.Now come to the point-

1. Niravana means being tasteless.You are free from any happiness, sorrow, pain etc. it is blissful state.It is a kind of state where you dont have any boundary. you can see, feel and control anything.Buddhism does not believe in soul and thats why it does not believe in Moksha. That is also why Nirvana can be attained as human only not after death because after death you dont have any existence. There might be question in mind that what about those who does not reach to niravana as there is no soul concept in buddism. It is basically memory( energy) who travels body to body untill you get nirvana..Very strange and typical concept of buddhism.

2. Buddsim does not denied moksha. Moksha means free from rebirths of soul.As soul find no existence in budhism thats why they dont talk about moksha. What Hinduism believe is that transmigration of soul. Soul is basically mini chip (energy) where all your karmic and birth information get stored birth by birth.When you reach to such a state where you are eligible for moksha , you dont require to take rebirth anymore and you get immersed into the deep ocean of supreme being.The story of soul is like a drop of water. Initially it is separated from ocean by cloud ,after rain it travels whole the earth in different different areas, different circumstances till it reaches to ocean and get immersed into it. When it get into ocean. it looses its existence as drop of water and become the whole ocean.this is concept of soul as per Hinduism. Really fascinating . Is not it?

If you need any further assistance, please drop more questions here related to this topic only.

u really looks like disciple of jagadguru adi shankaracharya the way he defeated buddhist monks mundan rishi in shastrathas debates...har har shankara
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly