All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Optional: Civil Engineering Book lists, Strategy & Planning

Comments

• @alphaqsecc Which book did you follow for Railway and Highway ? Are you also doing questions from old year papers ?
    btw I have finished strength of materials.
    For highway engineering, Justo & Khanna is better.
    I referred SC Saxena, SP Arora for Railway engineering.
    Btw which books you used for SOM??
    CSE 2014| 1st Attempt | AIR 470s| IRS C&CE
    ESE 2014| 1st Attempt | AIR 90s |
  • @KD123

Your way of thinking is correct upto some extent. CE is completely a different subject with respect to the GS. But, it is not true that you can score high in a subject related to GS. If you are intrested in CE, i feel you can score higher in CE than any GS related subject as if you can solve a problem, the examiner has to give you full marks for it which is not the case with theoritical subjects like pubad. Though it is completely depending on your interest, dont take a subject as you feel it is easy to score marks but choose the subject that motivates/ intrests you to study.

Decision is yours.

As far as my preparation is considered, i am very busy with my office works and trying to understand basics of economy and polity from NCERTs

@alphaqsecc

Hi bro

So you are done with trans? Do you think we should study any of the IRC/AASTHO codes to finish our highway preparation?
  • 2nd year ce student....is there any difference in books to refer for ese and cse???...presently i am going through f m white,r k bansal for fluids and timoshenko,vazrani and ratwani for mechanics of materials....indian author for solved example and other for concept part....any suggestions????
  • @shyamw

There are only minor differences in ESE and CSE syllabi for CE. Try to understand the basics of all the subjects and my advice is dont waste the most enjoyable phase of life by too much studies. All the best.

@madhur95

You will have a lot of opportunities in public ad private sectors. Dont worry about job. Set a goal and work for it. Enjoy the graduation days.
  • Hi all, can anyone suggest a good book/source material for preparing the 'Construction technology' part...(Paper-II...Section 1.2 )....specifically topics like...
    " Types of plastering, pointing, flooring, roofing and construction features.
    Common repairs in buildings.
    Principles of functional planning of building for residents and specific use – Building code provisions.
    Basic principles of detailed and approximate estimating - specification writing and rate analysis –
    principles of valuation of real property.
    Machinery for earthwork, concreting and their specific uses – Factors affecting selection of equipments –
    operating cost of Equipments. "
    Thanks.
  • Good going friends!!
    Planning to give my attempt next year!!
    2012 passout...presently working in a PSU!!
  • @KD123

Your way of thinking is correct upto some extent. CE is completely a different subject with respect to the GS. But, it is not true that you can score high in a subject related to GS. If you are intrested in CE, i feel you can score higher in CE than any GS related subject as if you can solve a problem, the examiner has to give you full marks for it which is not the case with theoritical subjects like pubad. Though it is completely depending on your interest, dont take a subject as you feel it is easy to score marks but choose the subject that motivates/ intrests you to study.

Decision is yours.

As far as my preparation is considered, i am very busy with my office works and trying to understand basics of economy and polity from NCERTs

@alphaqsecc

Hi bro

So you are done with trans? Do you think we should study any of the IRC/AASTHO codes to finish our highway preparation?
    @bharat141 IRC codes are needed for typical numericals and complete studying is not relevant I feel :)
    Sorry for late reply I was pre-occupied with other things.
  • edited October 2013
    @alphaqsecc Which book did you follow for Railway and Highway ? Are you also doing questions from old year papers ?
    @alphaqsecc For SOM I studied 'Timoshenko and Gere' and I found the book is awesome and after devoting some time on practice one will be able to solve questions given in mains within time frame.
    Flunked in CSE 2014 Mains
    “Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.”–William Arthur Ward
    "अपने हिस्से में समंदर नहीं आनेवाला चलो रेत निचोड़ी जाये"
  • edited October 2013
    @all Now I am going to start 'Surveying' in few days so which book to prefer ? B C Punamia, S K Duggal or any other book
    “Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.”–William Arthur Ward
  • @alphaqsecc Which book did you follow for Railway and Highway ? Are you also doing questions from old year papers ?
    @alphaqsecc For SOM I studied 'Timoshenko and Gere' and I found the book is awesome and after devoting some time on practice one will be able to solve questions given in mains within time frame.
    What are you referring to, for numericals in SOM??
  • @all Now I am going to start 'Surveying' in few days so which book to prefer ? B C Punamia, S K Duggal or any other book
    Best luck brother :)
    I'm doing environmental engineering I from SK Garg :)
  • @alphaqsecc Buddy for Numericals I have not started specific practice but I solved some previous year questions to gain some confidence and now I have finished survey also but only theory with practicing some ies question paper.
  • @all How you guys are progressing in G.S. How much has been studied in most important section ?? :-B
  • One more point guys, did any body got a look on Civil Engg paper of IFos ? And please search for candidates who will appear with civil engg in mains so that we can get an idea of change of question pattern if any .
  • @alphaqsecc
    For SOM numericals Vazirani and Ratwani(Part 1) is a good book which wil supplement Gere & Timoshenko(old one).
    Part 2 is even better, and is quite comprehensive, u just have 2 go through a few questions and ur syllabus for structure will be complete.
  • Do you people have any idea about how many civil engg. candidate appeared in 2012 mains?
    and finally how many got through :-?
  • Hello People. Great to see CE optional thread.

I am a civil engineer, 13 passout and I've decided to take up Sociology optional. (Despite topping my college, personal issues). I need help from you so that I won't get totally out of science stream discussions owing to my humanities Debates.

All I need is to upload standard books/pdf's/ppt's which you guys come across, so that, I can revive my past expertise. #Already in Delhi, Couldnt carry my text books along.

Hope you help ! ATB :)
  • Do you people have any idea about how many civil engg. candidate appeared in 2012 mains?
    and finally how many got through :-?
    @bruce look detail analysis of 2012 is not available to me but I know one person who qualified CSE-2012 with around 450 rank; Purnakam Singh. His score in CE was around 320. I have some previous year marksheet of candidates who appeared with CE. After paper wise analysis I found that people have scored even 190 in paper 1 and up to 180 in paper 2, although not by same student. At the same time I will say statistically Civil Engg. as optional is not as scoring as other popular optional are but standard deviation in civil was much less.
  • @bharat141 @alphaqsecc @rahul_cse @KD123
    Did anyone from this forum gave civil engg as optional?
    If yes, please share the paper.
  • Yes, i wrote civil engg mains. solved 210 in p1 and 160 in p2. Paper 1 was smaller as compared to prev yrs. p2 was lengthy - as usual. btw, my gs papers went worse than this! wat abt others on this forum?
  • @GPD90 Buddy it's a humble request if you can upload the civil engg. paper in any format either in pdf or photograph whenever you get time and Thanks in advance. On a different note how was difficulty level.
  • Yes, i wrote civil engg mains. solved 210 in p1 and 160 in p2. Paper 1 was smaller as compared to prev yrs. p2 was lengthy - as usual. btw, my gs papers went worse than this! wat abt others on this forum?
    Best of luck buddy. Will you please upload papers as suggested by @rahul_cse . We'd be thankful in ways more than one. :)
  • i am right now away from home and don't have the papers right now. i will try to post them once i reach home.
    the level of questions was same as prev yrs, maybe little easier, esp p1.
  • edited December 2013
    Toppers with CE as optional in 2012:

SK Mishra: (113+142=255): AIR 374
    Vineet Kumar: (142+157=299): AIR 409
    PK Singh: (144+168=312): AIR 455
    Danish A: (113+167=280): AIR 651

Civil Engineering is hopeful :)

@rahul_cse @GPD90 @Bruce
  • Papers are uploaded in upsc website if you people haven't checked it till now.
    I have seen the paper and paper 1 is quite easy and paper 2 felt lengthy but not very difficult. You may call it semi tough. If similar papers are given, you can hope to get around 300-350 in the optional which will be nearly half the cutoff for mains. So there is hope for civil engineering students in UPSC.
  • @bharat141 Around 300 is achievable, if similar difficulty level continues we all will do better :)
  • @alphaqsecc I agree but will there be any scaling for civil engg if scores are higher?
  • @alphaqsecc I agree but will there be any scaling for civil engg if scores are higher?
    I feel its irrelevant to talk about scaling as none of us actually knows how its done. There's lotta speculation in market. But my personal view is it seems there's no scaling in optional which is opted by very few people. (Eg. Stuti Charan(AIR 3) scoring 247/300 in Botany paper II in 2012)
  • Toppers with CE as optional in 2012:

SK Mishra: (113+142=255): AIR 374
    Vineet Kumar: (142+157=299): AIR 409
    PK Singh: (144+168=312): AIR 455
    Danish A: (113+167=280): AIR 651

Civil Engineering is hopeful :)

@rahul_cse @GPD90 @Bruce
    This is very encouraging. @alphaqsecc @bharat141 I think even if we manage to score 275/500 in Civil Engg. then this will be very good score, which, after seeing this year Q. paper doesn't appear very difficult.
  • edited December 2013
    @rahul_cse I'm planning to pool in answers of tougher questions of previous years' civil questions. If we all can contribute it'll do wonders :)
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google