ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Optional Subjects- which can be prepared before Prelims!!!!!

edited February 2016 in Miscellaneous
Hi guys!!!!
Well i know i m pathetic as i havent decided my optional till yet!!!! :o
But i m not among the one to give up!!!!
Initially i had read Anthropology for few weeks but eventually gave up on it... specially due to physical anthro :/
But Now really feeling helpless about my optional plus seeing people here reading so much and writing tremendous answers giving me migraine
Somehow gathered enough strength to even post this thread!!!
Thanks to my first time chat friend @Woodpecker who gave me a push to post this thread so that it can be of any help for the people in the same dilemma like me :(
Please suggest any optional that can be prepared before prelims or atleast paper 1 if not paper 2!!!!!
Also during this confusing phase i have contacted many people for many optional for booklist and strategy but was not satisfied with the responses
now posting this thread for proper analysis of optional- booklist,strategy pros,cons so that it can help aspirants like me If there are any :#
I m feeling really embarassed!!!! Dont know what will forum people say? :(

Comments

• edited February 2016
    bhai ek bat likho lo aur gath bandh lo agar tum apna optional khud nahi decide kar sakte to sorry to say cse ki prep rahane do, yaha har optional me master level ki prep karni padhati tab jake logo ka selection hota hai jo keval aapke natural selection se hi possible hai, i again sorry for hard words but its is reality, me apko demolised nahi kar raha, be brave n warrior good luck!!
  • edited February 2016
    @upmp Never Mind Bro Let it be coming :)
    I m ready for anything
  • Choose optional as per your interest.
    No more second thought.
    There is no such optional which can ensure 100 percent selection.at the same time there is no any optional which can stop you from selection.
    What matters the most is your interest.
    If you like your optional you can create wonders and if you don't like prepare it in 10 days still you will be in doubt.
    So it is your interest that must prevail in choosing.

There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
  • DBZ said:

@upmp Never Mind Bro Let it be coming :)
    I m ready for anything

very good its called administrative attitude
  • edited February 2016
    Philosophy can be done before prelims easily. My friend did it gave mains last year, got good marks in philo. You can watch online lectures of Mitra Sir they are good.
  • Anthropology le lo. Safe optional for more than 2 decades.
  • Bhai don't even think of taking philosiphy. Exception cannot be rule. 2 saal baad bhi aadhi cheeze sahi se samjh nhi aayegee. Fargee confidence rahega bas with superficial knowledge. Selection layak knowledge me bhut time lagega. @Abhinav37 nothing against u bhai. But saw many people wasting their money and attempt because it this illusion.
  • @Subhash_Nagre Bro read it for few weeks but could not handle physical Anthro!!!!!
  • DBZ said:

@Subhash_Nagre Bro read it for few weeks but could not handle physical Anthro!!!!!

dude there would be some topics in every optional which one wont be able to handle. no one loves every topic of the subject concerned.

i could not study indian geo, had to drop geography optional. psycho p2 is weird(less material no certainty of questions) etc. similarly you could nt handle physical anthro. so you have two options switch optional which you can afford(time spent) and is interesting according to your preferences.

decide quickly and try to finish p1/p2 before prelims. else it would be very difficult to get a good score in mains examination. :)
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • @Woodpecker Bro Physical Anthro is not only a dominating part of paper 1....Its one of the most scoring part of Anthro as well !!!!!
  • take socio or pol sc
  • edited February 2016
    Consider history; history has the advantage that you will be sure of all that you need to read; this is what attracted me first apart from my personal liking (i don't know if any such phrase like 'personal liking' means anything, though I had always wanted to study history, but i also wanted to read on philosophy, and management, and economics, and maths)

for me major starter for choosing history was to waste least time in dilemma; and it is also a subject that can probably never be butchered (though this was an afterthought); and anyway more experienced people should be able to comment more sensibly; i m still a novice

p.s. there is a history optional thread, you may contact some experienced history ladies and gentlemen there
    इस बात पर मुझे हँसना चाहिए।

Hobbies: Reading and Writing | Listening to Ghazals
  • @Woodpecker @DBZ Yes, I agree. All the topics cannot be liked by any candidate. These are the difficult parts with which one finds solace after reading the topics several times or preparing crisp notes. All the topics cannot be liked by any candidate of that particular optional, some are going to be easy for you and some are going to be tough. Crossing the optional that interests you is a cliche in upsc exam as most of the students go for optionals which have been popular and safe. It is the high time you choose an optional as it can make you or break you.
  • edited February 2016

@Woodpecker @DBZ Yes, I agree. All the topics cannot be liked by any candidate. These are the difficult parts with which one finds solace after reading the topics several times or preparing crisp notes. All the topics cannot be liked by any candidate of that particular optional, some are going to be easy for you and some are going to be tough. Crossing the optional that interests you is a cliche in upsc exam as most of the students go for optionals which have been popular and safe. It is the high time you choose an optional as it can make you or break you.

simple philosophy as stated by Gaurav Aggarwal sir - UPSC is giving you 500 marks to play according to your strengths, why waste it..!! make the max of it. choose wisely. good luck :)
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • pol sci le lo duniya ka sabse easy subject hai gs me bhi help karega.
    aur waise bhi upsc ko lottery kaha jata hai so psir ka bahout jagah hai optional,gs-2, gs-4 aadha, gs-1 quarter aur quarter gs-3.
    kanhi na kanhi toh lahega hi bas usi me kam ban jayega :)
  • @CharlieSheen completely agree with you.
    There are better starters than me but I'm a strong finisher.
    Usain bolt
  • Pol sci ka strategy plus booklists copying from some earlier post:-

"This is my personal opinion about books on Political Science and International Relations and yes, I do know how tedious and yet confusing it is to keep on hearing about more and more books.

1)Political theory- IGNOU 2 Booklets of MA(base material)+ O P Gauba. Do parallel study i.e. study suppose Justice from IGNOU then complement it with O P Gauba. If you are starting for 2015, then these 2 are enough or 2016 or later then after completing these 2, You can refer Andrew Heywood but first try to gain conceptual understanding then only make notes or do the fancy stuff as without understanding the significant portions you can't do all that.

2)Western Political Thinkers- Susheela and Ramaswamy+ IGNOUMA( complementary reading/parallel study as in point) Here UPSC has given the list of all the thinkers and after doing those thinkers do Antonio Gramsci and Hannah Arendt from Internet or any coaching notes.

3)Indian Political Thinkers- Himanshu Roy and M P Singh+IGNOU MA(complementary reading and parallel study)

4)Indian Govt and Politics- Half of these is static and the other half dynamic. Reading LAXMIKANTH's Indian Polity would be beneficial as we have to do that for GS but then its all not so over. The rest we need to read newspapers and have to be affiliated with current happenings in accordance to bills, committee reports, laws,acts everything. You can also check out OXFORD's Companion to Student Politics available in a green cover having 38 essays written by scholars. Reading that would also enrich you. Or you can read B L Fadia latest edition but newspapers would be the bread and butter here. Some topics such as Dalit Movements and Women Movements as well as National Commissions on Minorities/SC/STs and issues pertaining to such areas have been expressed very evenly and beautiful in IGNOU MA booklets. You can check that too. I would say: Read everything and understand. Full scale length notes are not needed as its a huge subject with so many grounds to cover and if you dont understand and think of shortcuts or ways to compress it then I dont think that would be justifiable.

5)Comparative Politics- IGNOU MA booklets. Period.

6)IR theory part- This area is a vital area. IGNOU MA is good but you have to rely on scholarly books such as Global Politics by Heywood/ Globalization of World Politics by Bayliss & Smith. My take is if you are a hardcopy soul that is you like to read hard copies then, read those 2 IGNOU MA booklets and along with that if you can get any of these 2 books written by western authors then that can suffice. Another option is International Relations Theory by Vinay Kumar Malhotra which is also good as it covers many areas and covers historical aspects. That's why your individual choice in this arena matters the most.

7)India and world- Current affairs is tandem here as we all know. Read the newspaper or any IR material. If you dont have any IR base book, then read the soft copy of Does the elephant dance by David M Malone(Canadian Diplomat), and if you dont get that just check IGNOU MA booklet. Yes, there is only a single 1 on this topic. But it only has historical perspectives and it has most of the things covered except the fact that you will need to cover the current happenings from 2000's era onwards. A lot of those things are shared by forum members here. Check and connect with that.

Also Shubhra Ranjan's Notes alone cant help you if you dont read the particular topics as explicited in the syllabus. See the topics mentioned in the syllabus get the study material and pinpoint yourself to those topics and read and understand them first. After go through her notes and thus revision would be over.

I have just told it subject wise and not Module wise! Also, I have suggested topic wise so if the topic is same there is no problem going through both of them u are beginning but if you are facing time crunch which we all think we face initially, then you must go with the MA books!

Also, IGNOU alone wont do! So take a look of the books such as Susheela and Ramaswamy+Himanshu roy+Andrew Heywood Global Politics+David M Malone does the elephant dance etc which I have earlier said!

Those books per topic mapped with IGNOU MA(not BA) books will help you 1st of all understand totally the various parts of the Syllabus! Now if you feel you have time(if u are preparing for 2016), then you can make notes but if you are preparing for this year(i.e. 2015), then I would say give 1 reading of each and every topic of the syllabus from those books+IGNOU MA books and after that keep seeing previous year question papers as how and what types of questions are being asked in the Syllabus! Why I am advising this? Being a begineer, you need to know the structure of questions otherwise it difficult for you! If u feel u have time, u can even attempt some after reading, before reading dont even try!

Now in your 2nd reading, narrow your visibility and focus on the important topics being asked and important aspects! Underline in the books itself whatever u feel is important and revise often so that after prelims when you sit to revise you dont have to search which is important and waste your time re-reading again! Even a better idea is that if you are a full time aspirant, after finishing the 2nd reading, you can underline and post-prelims when you will have given 2 readings minimum you will hae developed an idea pertinent to the topics and then would advice you to just copy-paste the underlined lines in a Notebook so that micro-notes can be formed! What are micro-Notes: they are brief notes which can be formed as in a structure of a Gist and after forming them when a person does revision, he/she can quickly recall that particular topic by just going through them!

The books you have mentioned in the MA part above coupled with the earlier books I have mentioned in my previous comments are good! Dont lose patience! Read,understand,underline, make notes, revise, practise answer writing= this is the process! Hope your doubts are cleared! "

bhai paancho optional ki strategy daal de :D :D
  • @CharlieSheen Sirji, geography ka strategy bhi bata digiye
    I am not among these vibrant group of youth that constitutes the common mass today. I am among those intellect group of youth who will lead the nation tomorrow.
  • You can consider literature optionals as well......Hindi, Maithili etc depending on your regional background........syllabus can be finished in 2-3 months....also they fetch good marks
  • @ajeetupadhyay Bro First tell me your optional !!!!!
    If its not any literature subject then i think you should have refrained yourself from giving suggestion!!!!
    I have asked many literature optional guys about hindi optional as many of them preparing on their own with english medium for mains and let me tell you everyone of them told me that it will take proper 6 months to complete this optional!!!!
    Also it is difficult to prepare this subject without coaching!!!!
    i think preparing in 2-3 months is a myth(i could be wrong though) As lots of revision is required after completing core areas,ans writing,
    But no hard feelings for you bro!!!
    I appreciate your suggestion!!!!
    Also thank you everyone for supporting me in this high time :)
    I m blessed with cool forumians :)
  • @DBZ

my 3 bits:-
    1.psychology---but result has not been great since 2010...no good source for paper 2.but syllabus is short and its the most objective optional among all social sciences after economics...so u can score well.
    2.Pub Ad---syllabus short---result is average since last few years---application based paper in recent years...do theory and see application from journals...u may do IIPA journals for application part.
    3.sociology---its vaaaaast in the sense that u may complete syllabus in short time but to get that sociological perspective u need to cover many books ,which will take time...u will need atleast 2 months to get a grasp of paper 1 thinkers to apply them in paper 2.
    4.anthropology---its short and has been safe since many years...not much idea.
    5.geography---vast subject---but it can be managed aong with preparation for prelims...so u have suffiecient time.
    6.literature optionals are vast wrt to syllabus and no of books
    forget about science and engg optionals..engg optionals u need at least 6 months to score high.
    HAR HAR MAHADEV
  • DBZ said:

@ajeetupadhyay Bro First tell me your optional !!!!!
    If its not any literature subject then i think you should have refrained yourself from giving suggestion!!!!
    I have asked many literature optional guys about hindi optional as many of them preparing on their own with english medium for mains and let me tell you everyone of them told me that it will take proper 6 months to complete this optional!!!!
    Also it is difficult to prepare this subject without coaching!!!!
    i think preparing in 2-3 months is a myth(i could be wrong though) As lots of revision is required after completing core areas,ans writing,
    But no hard feelings for you bro!!!
    I appreciate your suggestion!!!!
    Also thank you everyone for supporting me in this high time :)
    I m blessed with cool forumians :)

U got no rights to question anyone sir. U asked a dumb doubt that which optional can be prepared till prelims. Sir acc to me history can be prepared. Acc to someone else, maths can be prepared. So its personal thinking. Select optional acc to your own likings and dislikings. Dont question others. Because if u have so much info abt literature and all , then ask mods to close this thread.
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • @gaurav1267 Yes sir i agree with you!!!!
    i m not questioning him in actual...just asking him if he has read that optional than its good!!!!
    After all i have not anything against anyone :)
    Chill sir :)
    you are awesome :)
    you have helped me so much!!!!!
    Cant argue with you :)
    I m open to anything sir....:D
    i wont mind...Yes its a dumb ques..you can call it my kaamchori i would have selected optional long time ago but...
  • psir is a safe,intersting and easy optional
  • jattt said:

psir is a safe,intersting and easy optional

haan bhai psir se asan sub toh upsc optional choro duniya me koi nahi hai.
    jo log psir nahi lete hain unke kuch marks upsc ko deduct kar dene chahiye because of non rational choice.
  • jattt said:

jo log psir nahi lete hain unke kuch marks upsc ko deduct kar dene chahiye because of non rational choice.
    bhai tumhari kyo jal gyi??
    paper dekh psir k last 2-3 yrs k
  • jattt said:

jattt said:

bhai tumhari kyo jal gyi??
    paper dekh psir k last 2-3 yrs k
    are meri kanha jal rahi hai :D :D
    dekho meri comment history maine kanhi likha hai psir tough hai yadi hindi na samajh aaye toh batane ka? sabse pahla ish thread ka hi comment dekho.
    mera optional hi psir hi hai 3 saal kya pichle 35 saal ka paper kiya hai :D
    aur haan mains bhi clear :)
  • edited February 2016
    What about Economics as optional ? can it be completed properly in 3-4 months? Any one has its strategy kindly share.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google