Navy’s MiG-29K to take on France’s Rafale-M off Goa China’s GDP grows at 6.4% in Q1,defies expectations slowdown China unmoved by U.S. bid to discuss Masood Azhar in UNSC Madras High Court upholds President’s decision to cancel Vellore poll Chenchus believe the fox ushers in fortune

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Age 30, Working in IT, should I resign?

Hi,
I am working in IT since about 7.5 years. Earning about 12.5 lpa. But seriously disinterested in the IT kind of jobs. Doing it only for money. Gave two upsc attempts while working. Cudnt clear prelims, was getting around 105 this time. Was able to clear state psc, but cudnt crack mains. Not married, have some savings to support myself for about 2-3 years if I quit my job. Parents totally not supporting me quitting my job. Seriously unable to decide. Please advice guys.

Comments

• sir IT is a cruel sector, i am not an IT professional but can say today no industry is forgiving, once you resign you will face hell of a difficult task getting back in the industry(god forbid you fail to clear CSE).

try taking some low profile project before prelims so as to enable you to study for the exam. focus on the basic if you have failed to clear prelims in the past and try to read the current affairs daily from insightsonindia.

to be precise i would say DO NOT RESIGN from the current job unless you have a better offer in your hand. State PCS and UPSC are like a lottery with no surety that you would clear the examination and make it to final list.

good luck for your career and chose wisely :)
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • Do not resign from your job. Try to manage studies with job itself. Even if you are getting 3-4 hours daily, it is enough provided you utilise your weekends fully for preparation. You have been preparing so it would not be difficult to you.
    But if your project is such that it hardly leaves any time for preparation then I suggest you to exploit other options like getting release from project and sitting on bench by playing tantrums, taking medical leaves, leave without pay etc.
    This I am telling fromm my experience. I had been in IT industries for around 8 years and believe me leaving job puts huge pressure on you which sometimes may have negative repercussions. Moreover now the pattern is such that you rely more on internet and dynamic content which is very much manageable in IT work(agar you are not on VPN :) to).

So final advice donot resign. Adjust and prepare smartly along with job.
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
  • I have a 2.5 years IT experience before I resigned that job to join less paying Govt job. My only motive was to prepare for civils. In due course of my time I encountered many friends who left their jobs to crack UPSC, but couldn't. Now when I speak with them they seem under immense pressure.

My advice shift to less hectic job but don't risk your career just in hope of UPSC.
    Prelims 4 ,Mains 4* Interview 0
    #Working #Political Science
    #Tu Shaheen hai Parwaaz kaam tera , Tere age abhi asmaan aur bhi hai"
  • bhai dont take this UDTA TEER.........my ass is bleeding due to this GUT feeling type decisions.........left a good PSU job with package of 10 lacs..........now only thing i have is regret
  • @rr0410

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR JOB.

Try to squeeze 6-7 hours apart from job timings and try your best to study for 1-2 hours at workplace, :wink:
    Plus 8-9 hours marathon on weekends. Trust me, leaving job is not advisable at this age, considering uncertainty level of this exam. ALSO, exam pattern changing almost every year, its best to prepare alongside job ( a less hectic one would do, teaching for ex.)

Give it a thought!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
  • Why u want to act like a FIDAYEEN.
    Have u recently watched some useless Bollywood movie that is giving u such inspiration.
    CSE is not very very tough and uncertain.
    Chances of success is very low at times even when u r meritorious and talented.
    What's guarantee that u will qualify ???? What if u dnt qualify which is more probable ????
    You make a visit to Karol Bagh, ORN and Mukherjee Nagar in Delhi and many more places in India you will see THOUSANDS of frustrated lot who resigned from their plum job and now they are no where. Dnt get inspired by few success stories. There are thousands perishing every year.
    You dnt have much options now as u r already 30.
    Please learn from others mistakes rather than learning from ur failure. My honest suggestion-----BIG NO to quitting the job.
  • bhai abhi toh job k sath hi padho... govt ka koi bharosa nahi.. aapki age 30 hain... padhai toh theek hain.. agar saalo ne age limit kam kardi toh aap na ghar k rahoge na ghaat k .
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • leave job give one attempt...u will easily get IT job again..we four friend left IT all having 4-5 yrs exp, 2 friends again joined IT n they got it very easily, i didnt join as i got govt job...4th one didnt get job in IT coz he confined his options like only noida gurgaon n also he dont want job in his previous domain
    u have 7.5 yrs exp dude IT will easily accomodate you, but this chance you will not get always...do give urself a chance ...
    IT sector mein gadhe ghode sab ghus jaate h ...
    mein to sabko job chhodne ki salaah deta hoo,just leave job n aazad hava ka maza lo bhai bas thodi fategi to kya hua yoyo.... :yum:
    मैं खड़ा हूँ उसी दोराहे पे, आज भी इंतज़ार में तेरे !
    या तो ज़िन्दगी आये तेरे लिबास में! या मैं चलूँ फिरदौस की तलाश में !!
  • Thanks a lot guys for ur suggestions. Even I'm aware of the uncertainty pertaining to these exams. But I just cannot see myself do this job for the rest of my professional life. And if I look out for other careers, civils is one that I really am attracted to(like a million other people). To be frank, I hate IT jobs. But of course, duniyadari bhi dekhni padti hai - need a source of income. If I study full-time, chance to badhega clear karne ka(unless I waste my time). So basically, I'm just not able to digest the fact that I should continue in a job to earn money and survive, so that I can continue doing the same job. Sorry if it's confusing.
  • I would suggest my approach as I am in same situation at 30, in IT for 8.5 years and 2 mains.
    Apply for new job by Jun, quit your current job after prelims if you are sure of clearing.
    Given that you are getting back to writing with pen and paper after 7 years, you will definitely need few months for your first mains.
    Join your new job after mains.
    There is no dearth for open roles at your level and you would easily get a good hike.
    My advice is not to give up job for more than 8-10 months.
    The mains pattern in last few years are no longer conventional in that you need to study all year long (given that you are preparing for 2 years now, you should be having a good foundation).
    Keep your weekends and 2-3 hours of weekdays for revising / answer writing practice.

If you could negotiate an LOA, it is the best option!
  • rr0410 said:

Thanks a lot guys for ur suggestions. Even I'm aware of the uncertainty pertaining to these exams. But I just cannot see myself do this job for the rest of my professional life. And if I look out for other careers, civils is one that I really am attracted to(like a million other people). To be frank, I hate IT jobs. But of course, duniyadari bhi dekhni padti hai - need a source of income. If I study full-time, chance to badhega clear karne ka(unless I waste my time). So basically, I'm just not able to digest the fact that I should continue in a job to earn money and survive, so that I can continue doing the same job. Sorry if it's confusing.

Yaar bura mat maan na but aapko civil service ki nhn break ki jarurat hai..aap jitna effort CSE ke liye doge itne mein aap domain/ platform/language change kar loge. Ek suggestion deta hun..kisi starup mein job change kar lo..resume mein gap bhi nhn aayega aur change bhi mil jayega aur startup nikal padi toh acche khaase pasie bhi ban jaayenge....yeh IAS IPS sab moh maya hai jahan acche acche fannekhano ki hawa nikal jaati hai....matlab totally uncertain..baaki aapki marzi
  • bourgeois said:

I would suggest my approach as I am in same situation at 30, in IT for 8.5 years and 2 mains.
    Apply for new job by Jun, quit your current job after prelims if you are sure of clearing.
    Given that you are getting back to writing with pen and paper after 7 years, you will definitely need few months for your first mains.
    Join your new job after mains.
    There is no dearth for open roles at your level and you would easily get a good hike.
    My advice is not to give up job for more than 8-10 months.
    The mains pattern in last few years are no longer conventional in that you need to study all year long (given that you are preparing for 2 years now, you should be having a good foundation).
    Keep your weekends and 2-3 hours of weekdays for revising / answer writing practice.

If you could negotiate an LOA, it is the best option!

Bro, I had taken Loss of pay leave 2.5 months before last prelims. It would be difficult to get such a leave again. I had also thought about the strategy u r suggesting, about resigning before mains, after getting another offer. But it depends on getting an offer at the right time. Also, now that pre is completely on GS, some full-time study for pre might be needed ?
  • edited February 2016
    you can get back into IT easily courtesy your experience....if you want to give civils a shot...quit now and study for the rest of the year...post this attempt you atleast won't regret that you never tried..try 2016 or 2017 cse.....
  • rr0410 said:

Thanks a lot guys for ur suggestions. Even I'm aware of the uncertainty pertaining to these exams. But I just cannot see myself do this job for the rest of my professional life. And if I look out for other careers, civils is one that I really am attracted to(like a million other people). To be frank, I hate IT jobs. But of course, duniyadari bhi dekhni padti hai - need a source of income. If I study full-time, chance to badhega clear karne ka(unless I waste my time). So basically, I'm just not able to digest the fact that I should continue in a job to earn money and survive, so that I can continue doing the same job. Sorry if it's confusing.

People have been frustrated of IT jobs since quite some time. However normal course of action is to pursue MBA or go onsite.

If you are preparing for civils. Acknowledge the fact that you are entering race with one leg tied. But this can be turned into advantage as you have backup of job regardless of other full time students.

My advice don't quit. If you clear pre then submit medical reason like broken leg or slip disc which can get you few months leave. But if you quit status of joblessness hangs like sword of democeles over head. And civil preparation is like sisyphus rolling stone up the hill to see it roll down. Without job or backup the stone will only roll over you if you do not succeed.
  • start applying for other companies in similar positions.. quit your job after prelims .. give mains.. join the other job after mains.. continue this..
    1st Attempt - 2014 - CSM-fail
    2nd Attempt - 2015 - CSP fail, Opt - Pol. sci. ,
    "A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work."
  • rr0410 said:

I also resigned after working for 2.5yr in TCS , some 2 1/2 years back. This is my second mains since then but still not sure of my future. Now i have started giving Bank POs and other such type of jobs. When i look back now, i would say that i don't regret my decision of quitting my earlier job but yes i would accept the fact that had i been given proper advice or had i given a second thought to my decision, i would have not left my TCS job and continued my prep simultaneously.

After close to 3 yrs of CSE preparation, i think i could give some clarity to your thoughts.

Preparing for CSE is never an easy job either full-time or with job.
    Though, its a fact that the later option is a little bit tougher but it also has its own advantages. Money and job security is never a problem and let me tell you from 1st hand experience that since the first failure, the biggest worry in anybody's mind is related to this only!.

Also, since you had given prelims twice,you are not completely unaware of the course, NCERT's etc. You only need to allign your strategy and focus in the right direction.

So my advice would be to continue with your job, join online coaching classes, test-series, etc. Strengthen your Optionals, join mains test series, etc. According to me, .the only thing that matters in this CSE prep is giving "Daily some hours to the your preparation for the whole year".

Many people have cleared CSE while working and also lot many have not been able to clear even after resigning from their job! Take your decision wisely!!

(PS: i hope i dont land up in the later category... ;) )

• I am exactly in the same condition.. it is difficult in job and at this age it is very risky to resign.. gave 4 mains couldnt clear 3 of them.. waiting for the 4th result outcome.. upsc is highly uncertain so dont resign. just hang on there and do timepass on forum ias from office as im doing now :P
  • Bas 1 saal ka break le lo aap...civil ka 1 attempt full throttle ho ke de do life me yeh afsos to nhi rahegi ki apne sapne ke liye nhi gye..agar nhi hua to wapas laut Jayega apne field me ..itna experience hai, jyada kuch to nhi jayega mere khyal se...apne dreams ke liye itna risk to banta hai..
  • Bas 1 saal ka break le lo aap...civil ka 1 attempt full throttle ho ke de do life me yeh afsos to nhi rahegi ki apne sapne ke liye nhi gye..agar nhi hua to wapas laut Jayega apne field me ..itna experience hai, jyada kuch to nhi jayega mere khyal se...apne dreams ke liye itna risk to banta hai..

bhai is industry mein agar ek saal ka gap le lia to its very diff to get back.. technology is changing so fast ki apna resume relevant banaye rakhna bohot diff hai.. but it all depends on what kind of work you have done so far.. agar resume tagda hai to u can switch.. but trust me all people with dilemma at this stage would have compromised somewhere on their career path in IT.. so 1 saal ka gap lena thoda risky ho jayega
  • I think you must leave the job,prepare seriously and give your best short.
    Yarr,don't worry about future.You already have good experience.
    Agar nahi bhi hua toh ,
    1koi na koi job mil jaigi IT sector mein ,salary se compromise kerna padega bas.
    2Can give CAT also ,nd do MBA ,life Dubara se start ho sakti hai

Regards
    Aspirant
  • @ rr0410 Since last couple of months, I was also filled with bewilderment and was lying in the same state of dilemma, as you have specified. I am an IT Professional with 6+ Years of IT Experience and 30 Years Old. Years back, I developed a will to succeed UPSC and was determined to qualify UPSC , one of the mighty examination of mother Earth and thus took a "suicidal step" (As they say) while working with one of top Telecommunication Company and was at the verge to get US Onsite for coming year, but I requested to get relieved from the company to prepare for 2011 (Exp: 2.7 Years). Failed. As I could not complete more than 42 Qs in P2 due to severe Cervical pain and vertigo. Disappointed, as I have fared well in GS paper 1 relatively. Within couple of week, I started searching job and got 2 back to back offers in reputed IT Organizations. But desire for Civil was still there. Turned away the Offers. And revitalized myself to prepare for 2012. prepared well but again missed the Prelims cutoff by single digit. P1 score was again relatively good. Was not having family support during these 2 Years as they were thinking that I was ruining my IT career prospects against a high degree of Uncertainty. Monetary stability was inevitable and thus started giving Interviews. This time, luck was hard for me. It took around 2 months and I landed to a Contractual Position with a major Indian IT giant and was fired due to scrap of project. Within 3 Days, I got another contractual job with top MNC and started working. It was a very rigorous and demanding project. I was putting around 15-16 hours daily for around 06 months. Hired on direct company roles and got promoted as Technical Lead with good salary hike. Lat year again, I turned away US Onsite opportunity to give my 2 attempts. Missed prelims by single digit mark again and again. Prelims has become my Achilles' heel. Aspiration for Prelims is not yet settled and thus called last suicidal step again this year to give Full Phase Shot. Due to load of of responsibilities as Lead, you can hardly escape yourself in organization. In case of sequential failure, I will focus completely in IT but who knows what's there in treasury of our fortune. Getting Job in to IT was never tough and will never be. As this has become a bunch of non technical managers now. One Final and Killer Shot can do wonders and consistent zeal and struggle will never go worthless. Each of us has some fixed saturation points when they efficiency and passion will die. For failure like, have to maximize the outcomes during phase of our saturation.

• @pandey2509 Take a bow man...
    To be, or not to be, that is the question...
  • @ rr0410 Since last couple of months, I was also filled with bewilderment and was lying in the same state of dilemma, as you have specified. I am an IT Professional with 6+ Years of IT Experience and 30 Years Old. Years back, I developed a will to succeed UPSC and was determined to qualify UPSC , one of the mighty examination of mother Earth and thus took a "suicidal step" (As they say) while working with one of top Telecommunication Company and was at the verge to get US Onsite for coming year, but I requested to get relieved from the company to prepare for 2011 (Exp: 2.7 Years). Failed. As I could not complete more than 42 Qs in P2 due to severe Cervical pain and vertigo. Disappointed, as I have fared well in GS paper 1 relatively. Within couple of week, I started searching job and got 2 back to back offers in reputed IT Organizations. But desire for Civil was still there. Turned away the Offers. And revitalized myself to prepare for 2012. prepared well but again missed the Prelims cutoff by single digit. P1 score was again relatively good. Was not having family support during these 2 Years as they were thinking that I was ruining my IT career prospects against a high degree of Uncertainty. Monetary stability was inevitable and thus started giving Interviews. This time, luck was hard for me. It took around 2 months and I landed to a Contractual Position with a major Indian IT giant and was fired due to scrap of project. Within 3 Days, I got another contractual job with top MNC and started working. It was a very rigorous and demanding project. I was putting around 15-16 hours daily for around 06 months. Hired on direct company roles and got promoted as Technical Lead with good salary hike. Lat year again, I turned away US Onsite opportunity to give my 2 attempts. Missed prelims by single digit mark again and again. Prelims has become my Achilles' heel. Aspiration for Prelims is not yet settled and thus called last suicidal step again this year to give Full Phase Shot. Due to load of of responsibilities as Lead, you can hardly escape yourself in organization. In case of sequential failure, I will focus completely in IT but who knows what's there in treasury of our fortune. Getting Job in to IT was never tough and will never be. As this has become a bunch of non technical managers now. One Final and Killer Shot can do wonders and consistent zeal and struggle will never go worthless. Each of us has some fixed saturation points when they efficiency and passion will die. For failure like, have to maximize the outcomes during phase of our saturation.

So u preparing full time now?
  • Yes resigned last month and preparing Full Time now
  • Yes resigned last month and preparing Full Time now

Great..All the best!
  • @pandey2509 sir all the best...
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • Man go for it. Its doable. Few people are clearing this exam every year and defying that this exam is luck.
  • I am also an IT guy with 8 years of experience , about 10lac package , 3+ years at onsite and 31 years of age . Took two CSE out of which cleared prelims in 2015 (now waiting for the mains result) .

Since last two years(after returning from onsite) , I had maintained a low profile in the company.Though I got pretty average rating during the time but I am satisfied that I was able to clear CSE prelims atleast.

Brother at 30 years of age , I would suggest you the same (don't leave the job but maintain a low profile) , utilize the weekends to the fullest and also try for state PCS .

All the best.
  • @rr0410 Don't leave the job. Many people have cleared the exam while working. Latest example a guy from TCS got some rank between 400-410 and he applied for leave only for one month before writing mains.

Have faith and work systematically, every thing will be under your control. The biggest advantage that you have is that you are not dependent on anyone and it can ease out lot of pressure that comes because of cse.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google