MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

CSE 2014 Break-up of Marks of Selected Candidates (Making Spreadsheet)

Comments

• Rank 470 , GS2--56,GS3--68,GS4--64,interview--146..................These mean lack of knowledge in Politics,ethics,economics, still IAS ?

What do you mean by lack of knowledge , he cleared exam thats important what ever may be the optional and u should know that scoring that many marks is not easy and he must be an expert in that subject

Don't take it personal...................... I don't have any problem what optional he took. Problem is on so much deviation in marks.................between Optional & others..................

It is not college exams where we used get marks by any means.......... 76% in Literature is impossible...........

Difference in marks may be that people with other might not be that well prepared and everything is possible

Man, in reality it is not possible, an individual is getting 56/250,68/250 &64/250 in one hand & 190/250 at other hand.It is quite impossible in UPSC.

One guy who is intelligent & systematic enough to fetch 190/250 in a paper & he is getting in ethics GS4 -- 64, in GS2 --56,in GS3--68...............

Being an engineering student i can't swallow this logic that

"Difference in marks may be that people with other might not be that well prepared and everything is possible "

As i earlier said subsequently all papers can't be down scored except optional papers.In UPSC it is not possibled.
    He might have studied his optional sincerely but not all subject so that why he end up getting low score in other subject , its not the first time people do smart work rather than hard work , u have to understand the process
    "People are taking literature subjects like Pali and easily clearing the exam" - V Narayansamy, MoS, PMO, UPA2
    What a loser.
    Bhai jinki gaand mein dum who literature le na fir yahan bakchodi karke apna aur hamara time waste karwaraha hai

அம்மா செக்ஸ்
    Haha... I love the way you end conversations by either calling people losers or questioning the 'power of their asses'. No more from me on this. Stay well in your well.
    P.S: Cersie did not like you abising me in Tamil. Use english or hindi.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    contactjaime123@gmail.com
    twitter @contactjaime123
    My Book https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B2N695F
  • Rank 470 , GS2--56,GS3--68,GS4--64,interview--146..................These mean lack of knowledge in Politics,ethics,economics, still IAS ?

What do you mean by lack of knowledge , he cleared exam thats important what ever may be the optional and u should know that scoring that many marks is not easy and he must be an expert in that subject

Don't take it personal...................... I don't have any problem what optional he took. Problem is on so much deviation in marks.................between Optional & others..................

It is not college exams where we used get marks by any means.......... 76% in Literature is impossible...........

Difference in marks may be that people with other might not be that well prepared and everything is possible

Man, in reality it is not possible, an individual is getting 56/250,68/250 &64/250 in one hand & 190/250 at other hand.It is quite impossible in UPSC.

One guy who is intelligent & systematic enough to fetch 190/250 in a paper & he is getting in ethics GS4 -- 64, in GS2 --56,in GS3--68...............

Being an engineering student i can't swallow this logic that

"Difference in marks may be that people with other might not be that well prepared and everything is possible "

As i earlier said subsequently all papers can't be down scored except optional papers.In UPSC it is not possibled.
    He might have studied his optional sincerely but not all subject so that why he end up getting low score in other subject , its not the first time people do smart work rather than hard work , u have to understand the process
    "People are taking literature subjects like Pali and easily clearing the exam" - V Narayansamy, MoS, PMO, UPA2
    What a loser.
    Bhai jinki gaand mein dum who literature le na fir yahan bakchodi karke apna aur hamara time waste karwaraha hai

அம்மா செக்ஸ்
    Off topic, but tell me how is this pronounced by typing in english if you can please.
    அம்மா செக்ஸ்

Also, please tell me some more bad words in tamil.
    CSE 2015. Got in.

CSE 2016. Hopefully, the hallowed All India Services.
  • Bhai jyada paresan hone Ki jarurat nahi h....bs Shiv Sena(Thakre) walo ka dabav tha.... :D
  • satta hai baba satta!
    rationality dhundna gunah hai, other side of the coin socho aur sukhi raho! You cannot deny that upsc is the only body which is least impacted by any scams and have timely process. Baki sari chahe ssc ho state psc's ho- sabki lagi padi hai! corrupt and no professionalism!
    Interview me jiske kuch b links nahi hai, na hi literature optional hai, unki b rank 1 ayi hai aur >200! 2013 topper,2011 topper and many others yar! This body is much better than the rest.
    Like any human, i'm also looking for love and validation.
    Pre: 2; Mains: 1
  • CHANGEZ said:

satta hai baba satta!
    rationality dhundna gunah hai, other side of the coin socho aur sukhi raho! You cannot deny that upsc is the only body which is least impacted by any scams and have timely process. Baki sari chahe ssc ho state psc's ho- sabki lagi padi hai! corrupt and no professionalism!
    Interview me jiske kuch b links nahi hai, na hi literature optional hai, unki b rank 1 ayi hai aur >200! 2013 topper,2011 topper and many others yar! This body is much better than the rest.

Bhai jo body itna opaque ho usake scams kahan se bahar aayenge? U may not be knowing it but in 1985 a clerk of Upsc gamed the system and got 3rd rank, google it...samal kar k i think naam tha uska

• Look at thease marks in marathi literature...
    Rank 422...190+165 (355)
    Rank 470....183+174(357) :/

Thats why Guyz, Optionals should be removed & there should be a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD in the Main Exam, as this is the most important stage of the whole examination process. While filling DAF there was a QUESTIONAIRE that asked suggestions. I gave the same viewpoint & that too in BOLD LETTERS. My optional is Geography & iss baar bhoogol ne hamari le li hai. But I have suggested this viewpoint while filling DAF itself.
    GHAMASAAN YUDH HO,
    LEKIN BARABARI KA HO .
  • I too gave this suggestion in DAF. Optionals should be removed.
  • I completely agree with parity and levelplaying field arguments. But to say that all literature subjects are being favored is an exaggeration. Last year Telugu was butchered. highest 260. If I am correct highest in pubad is 320-330 and geo also is between 310-320. so whoever is making the argument that lit optionals are favored are WRONG. and the is no doubt in that.
    I will succeed not immediately but definitely
  • Here, nobody is claiming that all literature optionals are favoured.Here we are discussing a biased case specifically.

If one guy would get 330 in PUB AD & in GS 350, nobody would ask anything about his/her potential.

But if one is getting 267 only in GS papers as a whole & 190/250 in a optional paper then there is a sure default............manually or technically...................................
  • yes.... see they are favouring one optional at one time... irrespective of literature...
  • edited January 2016
    I don't think 320 was the highest of Pub Ad. I don't know anyone who got more than 280. Correct me if I am wrong.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • edited January 2016
    Bodo said:

Kitna jaloge be :D :D it all about strategy. Unhone optional pe focus kiya too much nd got desired result.they must hv given too much time for it.
    Everyone makes strategy fr himself.
    Apni padhai control karo. Ye thode na bologe ki - i studied gs fr 50 hr so others shud also study gs only fr 50 hrs ;)
    I hv seen engneerng maths optional getting 450 etc of 600 nd geting into top 10!!
    Toh kya waha bi biassed hai.
    Exceptionl bande har field me hote hai :)

Why is it that no one from Pub Ad, Geography and Sociology don't have the same strategy? Thousands of people take these options and not a single get so much marks.

Engineering and Mathematics subjects are scaled down for the very same reason. If someone is getting 450 in Mathematics and highest of Pub Ad is 320, then there is a clear bias. Scaling has removed this bias. But not in the case of Marathi literature.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • JohnSnow said:

I don't think 320 was the highest of Pub Ad. I don't know anyone who got more than 280. Correct me if I am wrong.

Highest is 282 harshal pancholi rank 56
    May 94 born
    Ex - Assistant commandant (ITBP)
  • edited January 2016
    Guys its not the SUBJECT THAT SCORES, but it is the PERSON WHO SCORES. But why optional subjects? Why there should not be PARITY in this remaining 500 marks too??
  • JohnSnow said:

Bodo said:

Kitna jaloge be :D :D it all about strategy. Unhone optional pe focus kiya too much nd got desired result.they must hv given too much time for it.
    Everyone makes strategy fr himself.
    Apni padhai control karo. Ye thode na bologe ki - i studied gs fr 50 hr so others shud also study gs only fr 50 hrs ;)
    I hv seen engneerng maths optional getting 450 etc of 600 nd geting into top 10!!
    Toh kya waha bi biassed hai.
    Exceptionl bande har field me hote hai :)

Why is it that no one from Pub Ad, Geography and Sociology don't have the same strategy? Thousands of people take these options and not a single get so much marks.

Engineering and Mathematics subjects are scaled down for the very same reason. If someone is getting 450 in Mathematics and highest of Pub Ad is 320, then there is a clear bias. Scaling has removed this bias. But not in the case of Marathi literature.
    Reasons-
    1. Most of people who score exceptional are expert in their subjects ie phd, high class engnrs etc
    2. Questions are direct. If one knowes chances of scoring is very high. Nw a days pub etc hs more indirect qstn fr which perfect answers cant b writen.
    3. Except hindi examiners of regional language hs little bit bias. But nt much.

PS- agar literature etc mein itna hi bias hota aur high score lana itna hi easy hota toh-- instead of 10000 writing mains wid pub ad, geo etc everyone wud hv gone after so called high scoring optnl.
    I personly blv 9 papers of mains are grt equalizer. One hs pub ad geo etc..he may get less marks in optnl but optnl wil help him getng more marks in gs. Similarly one hs out of league optional..optnl will b so disconnected dt he wl score less in gs.
    Mains is 2000 meter race...runner can choose themselves whether they will run faster at initial middle or last part of the race.
    कसूर ना उनका है ना मेरा, हम दोनो रिश्तों की रसमें निभाते रहे;वो दोस्ती का एहसास जताते रहे, हम मोहबत को दिल में छुपाते रहे।
    @summum bonum
  • edited January 2016
    Karne wale kar gaye, marne wale mar gaye. Wo academy me maze le rahe hain n we r beating a dead horse.
    Agar har gadhe ghore ko 300+ aajate hain literature me to lelo. Jitni mehnat yahan analysis me kar rahe ho utni mehnat literature me kar lo.
    Mashaallah, tel nikal jayega liver ka bata rahe hain. Point is they are competent in their areas n are rocking. Aap ki competence nahi hai apne subject me to ro ro ke excuse bana rahe ho.
    Le lo literature aur phor do.
    Gandh machaye hue hain.
  • where is the link of final spreadshhet of marks ??
    कसूर ना उनका है ना मेरा, हम दोनो रिश्तों की रसमें निभाते रहे;वो दोस्ती का एहसास जताते रहे, हम मोहबत को दिल में छुपाते रहे।
    @summum bonum
  • FuChi said:

Karne wale kar gaye, marne wale mar gaye. Wo academy me maze le rahe hain n we r beating a dead horse.
    Agar har gadhe ghore ko 300+ aajate hain literature me to lelo. Jitni mehnat yahan analysis me kar rahe ho utni mehnat literature me kar lo.
    Mashaallah, tel nikal jayega liver ka bata rahe hain. Point is they are competent in their areas n are rocking. Aap ki competence nahi hai apne subject me to ro ro ke excuse bana rahe ho.
    Gandh machaye hue hain.

Bola hai to kya bola hai mano top ka gola hai
  • FuChi said:

Gandh machaye hue hain.

aap toh pel diye sabko
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • FuChi said:

Gandh machaye hue hain.

yeh kya argument hua yaar? UPSC agar paad raha hai toh sungho? Arre discussion hai isi baat ka ki ideally kya sahi hai, competence ki baat toh rehne do jin logon ke pub ad, geo, psycho, socio mein shuru se acche number aaya karte the woh bechare 3rd-4th attempt mein pil jaate, kyun? unki competence kam ho gayee? seedha sa funda hai UPSC ke standards uniform nahin hain na toh inter subjects na hi across time. Dusri baat literature mein aisi kya competence dekh li ki us bande ko 350-360 de diye? yahan log 3-3, 4-4 saal ghisa ke duniya bhar ki kitabe pad kar , answer writing practice karke nhn la paate. mein kitne hi iitians ko janta hun jinhone physics, maths chor ke paale literature se qualify kiya woh bhi 6-7 mahine padh ke..matlab iit-jee qualify karke, 4 saal iit mein pad ke maths, physics mein competence nhn aaya par 6-7 mahine paali litt pad ke aa gaya.

optionals ghor anayaya hai. agar level playing field karni hai to isse hatna chhaiye. simple.
  • FuChi said:

Gandh machaye hue hain.

yeh kya argument hua yaar? UPSC agar paad raha hai toh sungho? Arre discussion hai isi baat ka ki ideally kya sahi hai, competence ki baat toh rehne do jin logon ke pub ad, geo, psycho, socio mein shuru se acche number aaya karte the woh bechare 3rd-4th attempt mein pil jaate, kyun? unki competence kam ho gayee? seedha sa funda hai UPSC ke standards uniform nahin hain na toh inter subjects na hi across time. Dusri baat literature mein aisi kya competence dekh li ki us bande ko 350-360 de diye? yahan log 3-3, 4-4 saal ghisa ke duniya bhar ki kitabe pad kar , answer writing practice karke nhn la paate. mein kitne hi iitians ko janta hun jinhone physics, maths chor ke paale literature se qualify kiya woh bhi 6-7 mahine padh ke..matlab iit-jee qualify karke, 4 saal iit mein pad ke maths, physics mein competence nhn aaya par 6-7 mahine paali litt pad ke aa gaya.

optionals ghor anayaya hai. agar level playing field karni hai to isse hatna chhaiye. simple.
    agar 6-7 mahine mein literature mein logo ne acche marks le aaye toh aap dekh hi kyu rahe the?? aap bhi leke kar lete. ye pattern upsc ne diya hain.. optional choose aapko karna hain. aap bhi lo jisme marks aa rahe hain. can u guarantee ki agli baar bhi lit mein 350 aayenge?? risk har jagah hain sir..
  • Bhai jab sbko Litt itta mark fetching lgta hai phir le hi lo yahi optional next time! But aisa nhi hoga... Kyunki sbki apni apni preference aur interest hain aur sbko Yeh vishwas hai ki woh apne optional me hi highest marks laa skte hain na ki literature me.
    Jahan tk kisi kisi subject me extreme marks lane ka sawaal hai toh Yeh hr saal vary krta hai... Kabhi science Paper se high marks aate hain kabhi Economics se bhi toh kabhi kisi aur subject se... But itta jyada marks laane k liye kisi bhi subject me aukaat chaahiye. Marathi Litt me jiska highest hai usne class 10th se le kr upsc k syllabus tk saare books aur topics cover kiye the jiske liye exceptional determination chaahiye. Itta asan nhi hai Litt me bahut high marks lana. Hr subject ki tarah yahan bhi mehnat krni hoti hai achhe marks k liye.
  • FuChi said:

Gandh machaye hue hain.

Tum hare baap ka raj hai jo optional hatao gaye , saala optional hatadiya to phir bhul ja selection sirf general studies ke base pe selection karna kafi arbitary kyuki pehle to GS ka koi syllabus defined nahi aur uspar question view based hote hain agar kiska view invigilator ko pasand nahi ata to uske number kat dete hain , yeh optional to hi kuch aas hai logo mein nahi to sirf 4 paper se kiska selection karna bohut mushkil hojaye ga
  • Well I'm not advocating Any Topper here, But Wants to make an statement.
    Rank 422 became IAS in his Sixth Attempt. During all past attempts he had Marathi Lit. Optional. So, Now One can easily figure out how much he studied for it. and so, Result is clear.
  • edited January 2016
    Donald11 said:

Well I'm not advocating Any Topper here, But Wants to make an statement.
    Rank 422 became IAS in his Sixth Attempt. During all past attempts he had Marathi Lit. Optional. So, Now One can easily figure out how much he studied for it. and so, Result is clear.

Bhai you just nailed it ab bhenchod sayad in bhosadiko akal ayjaye
  • I don't think it is correct to shit on literature optional people. Each optional has its advantages and disadvantages.

Socio helps in GS1, essay and maybe interview too. It is widely spread. Similarly history has an unfair advantage in GS 1. Geography too.
    Literature helps nowwhere except in optional. Also, most literature candidates are rural candidates.

Final selection is maintaining parity. If 2 guys get high scores in literature, that is nowhere compared to many others from other optionals. Also, the lower success rate of other optionals is also down to the fact that every tom, dick and harry takes them.

But there are anomalies. Pali was one. Anyone, esp with Hindi background, could take it and score high. Similarly, Pubad seems to be unfairly punished nowadays.
    CSE 2015. Got in.

CSE 2016. Hopefully, the hallowed All India Services.
  • Hume said:

Donald11 said:

your language is very foul and other people also know this kind of language. try to interact with others in little polite and refined manner.
    and for argument given above what he made great difference in his preaparation between 5th and 6th attempt.
    The reason is change of government and change in fortune of gujarati and marathi literature. No one is against those candidates or particular optional , people are demanding for more transparent process of selection.
    change in govt???? sir is this arguement?? what do u know abt his 5th or previous attempts?? he might have cleared that time also but with lower ranks. first know the person well and then comment. optionals are here for atleast 2016. so either prepare or wait. dont cry over it.
  • Hume said:

Donald11 said:

your language is very foul and other people also know this kind of language. try to interact with others in little polite and refined manner.
    and for argument given above what he made great difference in his preaparation between 5th and 6th attempt.
    The reason is change of government and change in fortune of gujarati and marathi literature. No one is against those candidates or particular optional , people are demanding for more transparent process of selection.
    Now u are talking about change in government , this attitude of yours shows how immature u are

• FuChi said:

Gandh machaye hue hain.

Tum hare baap ka raj hai jo optional hatao gaye , saala optional hatadiya to phir bhul ja selection sirf general studies ke base pe selection karna kafi arbitary kyuki pehle to GS ka koi syllabus defined nahi aur uspar question view based hote hain agar kiska view invigilator ko pasand nahi ata to uske number kat dete hain , yeh optional to hi kuch aas hai logo mein nahi to sirf 4 paper se kiska selection karna bohut mushkil hojaye ga
    mind your language mate! its very easy to abuse everybody and anybody on forum and usually practiced by people who dont have balls to act in real life.
    Coming to the argument. You are saying that ki gs papers subjective hote hain aur invigilators ki checking par dependent hote hain...kis duniya mein gi rahe ho? aur socio, philo, psycho, pub ad, science optionals, literature etc etc mein toh objective Qs aate hain jinke answer set hote hain? Thodi akal lagao, agar upsc ne koi Qs diya hai paper mein toh uska answer hai uske pas, its very simple. Yahn doubt yeh hai ki yeh standards inter subjects aur across time fix nhn hai, varaible hain.
    rahi baat selection random ho jayega, toh ismein bura kya hai? at least jo deserve karega usi ka hoga na.

iss baat ko thoda reverse logic se socho. agar upsc mein koi optional na ho aur saare papers common hon jaise gs, essay etc toh optionals introduce karna ka koi tuk hai?
  • If 6th attemt fetched 350 marks in optional then what happened in gs as it is around 260? I am not argueing against any individual but for the sake of example just consider 422.
    As per some of the arguments it is out of competency over a period of time. Ok. Then with same logic gs do not check the competency properly. Hence there is strong case for removal of all gs papers.
    My lord B)

Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog