Saudi Arabia to host G20 summit in 2020 Nepal launches its first satellite from the USA IT dept. proposes new norms for taxing MNCs Plea in SC on voting rights of undertrials and convicts Officials allow some persons to cast ‘tendered’ votes in T.N.

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Status of Privacy on ForumIAS - Data Accessibility and Persistence

Recently in a discussion Mr Singh pointed out that he can log in to any of our account and read messages even the personal ones.

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/772643/#Comment_772643

I want to ask who gave you the right to peep into the messages or conversations..!!

Does it not violate the right to privacy? We did not allow you to read or look into our accounts. There was no such terms and conditions mentioned when we joined forumias. Why this sudden #nsa like activity?
Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.

Comments

• first thing is to understand whether it is an open forum or not....
  • edited January 2016
    Mr ravi has admin privileges, so he has every right to look into anyone's account as a part of enforcement and vigilance. remember admins are legally responsible and they do not want anything illegal going on in here.

our responsibility - never share anything sensitive on the internet, we have to look upon our safety in this virtual arena.

my strong suggestion - Mistakes happen from everyone, sometimes we share something we shouldnt have shared. In order to rectify our mistake, we should be allowed to delete our own content.
    Users have to be empowered to moderate/delete their own content ( what else does self moderated community mean? ) . Users should be given an option to delete their profile anytime they want to, because its their content, lets respect individuality and privacy( mods please dont tell continuity of thread will be lost etc, please go look at the condition of old threads after ur recent update, its already in shambles. )
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • edited January 2016

Open forum doesn't entitle you to login to my account and read my chats with other person. This is snooping. What if I am tech noob and have shared considerable personal details? Few days back one person was threatning to release pics and phone numbers of various people including one girl. He was some moderator!!! What is going on here?

well if its an open forum, the following are non negotiable-

1. no one should have the right to read my pm
    2. we must have the right to delete all our content, account etc
  • pizza said:

Mr ravi has admin privileges, so he has every right to look into anyone's account as a part of enforcement and vigilance. remember admins are legally responsible and they do not want anything illegal going on in here.

our responsibility - never share anything sensitive on the internet, we have to look upon our safety in this virtual arena.

my strong suggestion - Mistakes happen from everyone, sometimes we share something we shouldnt have shared. In order to rectify our mistake, we should be allowed to delete our own content.
    Users have to be empowered to moderate/delete their own content ( what else does self moderated community mean? ) . Users should be given an option to delete their profile anytime they want to, because its their content, lets respect individuality and privacy( mods please dont tell continuity of thread will be lost etc, please go look at the condition of old threads after ur recent update, its already in shambles. )

Pizza ur point is valid so I & every other person who has not habitual to this kind of bondage or slave life must go from here.
  • pizza said:

Pizza ur point is valid so I & every other person who has not habitual to this kind of bondage or slave life must go from here.
    exactly.. its becomes a lingering mental torture that we cant delete something that we ourselves shared. we cant request mods also sometimes due to the sensitivity of the issue. its an unending loop, once our identity is known, its better to leave this forum for good.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • @Neyawn kindly reply.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • Open forum doesn't entitle you to login to my account and read my chats with other person. This is snooping. What if I am tech noob and have shared considerable personal details? Few days back one person was threatning to release pics and phone numbers of various people including one girl. He was some moderator!!! What is going on here?

1. Then how can cases of abuse and illegal transactions be controlled on the forum? These are enforcement measures.

2. This has been explained umpteen times and is also explained in the rules.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • edited January 2016
    On top of that funny fact is we are not aware who has such powers else how many people have that kind of power to read my messages and conversations, I am a super mod and i was not aware of that fact.
  • Etat said:

Open forum doesn't entitle you to login to my account and read my chats with other person. This is snooping. What if I am tech noob and have shared considerable personal details? Few days back one person was threatning to release pics and phone numbers of various people including one girl. He was some moderator!!! What is going on here?

1. Then how can cases of abuse and illegal transactions be controlled on the forum? These are enforcement measures.

kindly explain point number two again, i will like to counter debate on that.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • Reading personal messages is a violation of privacy.

If you want to read personal messages, please ensure adequate accountability. Like reveal the identity of moderators who have such powers so if any sensitive information gets leaked, we know who is the culprit. Or the users should have an log of which moderator has viewed such messages, so that he/she is provided with a justification.
    CSE 2015. Got in.

CSE 2016. Hopefully, the hallowed All India Services.
  • edited January 2016

On top of that funny fact is we are not aware who has such powers else how many people have that kind of power to read my messages and conversations, I am a super nod and i was not aware of that fact.

even after me and captain brought this issue on the nb thread, it was outrightly denied that something of that sort happens. that was disappointing. privileges of an admin should be transparent, not everyone knows everything. i dint know all these until i myself created and deleted another forum few days ago.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • Etat said:

1. how are abuses and illegal transactions handled on other forums...how can we trust that you are the good hearted ombudsman and not yourself an ogler. ..
    2. well explain it once again then
  • Etat said:

What illegal transactions sir? Yaha pe koi guns ya drugs nai bech raha. Most people do is share study material.

The identity of these people is not revealed. How can I be sure they will not misuse the private info! Or threaten us(someone mentioned,it above)!!
  • Nuralain said:

allow me to clear a one thing -

No moderator or super moderator has access to any PM . Our accounts are open to root, as much as yours.

Why he has it? Members frequently complain of harassment over pm . It needs to be cross checked. Recall aeroplane case.

Does he abuse it? I hope not :-P.

:tongue: but the point of concern is that the same few super moderators have admin access from root.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • Nuralain said:

No moderator or super moderator has access to any PM . Our accounts are open to root, as much as yours.

Why he has it? Members frequently complain of harassment over pm . It needs to be cross checked. Recall aeroplane case.

wow...so we can only hope that the person with so much power is not some sick sadist...
  • Ye holier than thou wala attitude hatao. Even I have issues now with this aspect of forum. There was some tinkering with the inbox conversation recently.
    I am no tech person but can't there be a way where I delete my comments and they are out of public view, however the database somewhere has it stored and can be brought to front if something needs to "proved"?
    Reading inbox is just gross. Terrorist organisation nai chala rahe ya tumhare inbox se.
  • Argand said:

Ye holier than thou wala attitude hatao. Even I have issues now with this aspect of forum. There was some tinkering with the inbox conversation recently.
    I am no tech person but can't there be a way where I delete my comments and they are out of public view, however the database somewhere has it stored and can be brought to front if something needs to "proved"?
    Reading inbox is just gross. Terrorist organisation nai chala rahe ya tumhare inbox se.

haanji.. agar padhna bhi hai toh let them specifically tell us who has those privileges, so that we know whom to point our fingers to, in case of a breach of trust.
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • edited January 2016
    Etat said:

Your point 1 is the justification which almost all totalitatian governments give while controlling the rights of users.
    Bro, there is a thing called privacy. Some lines should not be crossed. If you want to make sure the forum does not fall into legal problems, you can make messages temporary so that they get deleted.

In case of harrasement, you can allow users to block other users so that their PM's dont get transmitted, which is already available on this forum.
    CSE 2015. Got in.

CSE 2016. Hopefully, the hallowed All India Services.
  • Ravi singh can sign in as Mr/Ms xyz user and read all his/her personal messages !! Grt accountability and transprncy nd right to privacy.

Though i hv nothing in inbox which shud b hidden. Still This is deception fr everyone. It should have been written in forum rules atleast.
    कसूर ना उनका है ना मेरा, हम दोनो रिश्तों की रसमें निभाते रहे;वो दोस्ती का एहसास जताते रहे, हम मोहबत को दिल में छुपाते रहे।
    @summum bonum
  • I think even if one can read messages, people are entitled to know who has access to information when even mods dont know whats going on then entire system becomes unaccountable and open to abuse.
    @Etat while preventing illegal/immoral things here is entirely a valid reason but if there is one such thing happening in thousands of interaction, its not ethical that innocents are kept on knife's edge. There is no guarantee that innocent will not suffer in case of hacking or misuse, atleast once information on who is accountable for our info is known then matters can be taken forward, if something goes wrong.
    I still agree with original demand though that messages and contents of someone should be open for deletion if a person so desires.
  • Nuralain said:

pizza said:

Nuralain said:

:tongue: but the point of concern is that the same few super moderators have admin access from root.
    I do not think so. At least none of the super moderators I know of.

well to name a few.. neyawn.. aks(he had admin privileges on this before) .. forumias.. we have no idea if these are a single person or multiple profiles...
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • edited January 2016
    Is forum from some law enforcement department. If any crime is committed user can go to the police. They will look into grievances.
    Who the hell gave right to forum to login
    Into users account. Its hacking. Hacking is not permitted for any reason unless it is sanctioned by high officials that too govt sector.
    कसूर ना उनका है ना मेरा, हम दोनो रिश्तों की रसमें निभाते रहे;वो दोस्ती का एहसास जताते रहे, हम मोहबत को दिल में छुपाते रहे।
    @summum bonum
  • Is there any facility here like when you login to fb from different IP, you get an email. Yahan pe eisa kuch system dal do? Taki Whenever someone will get that email , it will simply mean account has been logged in with other IP address and we can ask here who was s/he?

server ka band baj jaega. :tongue:
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • Kam se kam itna to Bata do k kaun kaun padh sakta hai mere conversations! Kis kis ko access hai mere messages check karne ka!!

Kitne log hai total?
  • Ab dekhana iss thread pe response bahot der se aayega. Its such a small issue..admin etc dnt hv time ;)
    @summum bonum
  • edited January 2016
    ^^ Rule 10 clearly states that action is taken for abuse over pm.That implies a verification in the process. You can't act on complaints without verification.

Account requests are dealt with here (below) : http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/452283/#Comment_452283
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • Kam se kam itna to Bata do k kaun kaun padh sakta hai mere conversations! Kis kis ko access hai mere messages check karne ka!!

Kitne log hai total?

bhai.. ek kaam karo.. list out the number of profiles with admin privileges.. phir easy ho jaega kaam..
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • pizza said:

Kam se kam itna to Bata do k kaun kaun padh sakta hai mere conversations! Kis kis ko access hai mere messages check karne ka!!

Kitne log hai total?

bhai.. ek kaam karo.. list out the number of profiles with admin privileges.. phir easy ho jaega kaam..
    I can not do that. I do not even know hum many people have that privilege.
    This is what I am talking about. They have not even informed moderators and supermoderators about this.
  • One point i guess everyone would unanimously agree to is that even if you let some admin to have access to PM of users on the ground that it's for the sake of addressing issues of abuse by other user's, then there should also be a provision that the user gets to know who has particularly logged into his account.
    Yes we have rights and yes you may push the argument that rights come with some reasonable restrictions but then admin also has some duties, even power is never absolute(atleast not where there are rights) and most importantly this is not reasonable.
    Thus conscience makes cowards of us all
  • Eiago said:

I think even if one can read messages, people are entitled to know who has access to information when even mods dont know whats going on then entire system becomes unaccountable and open to abuse.
    @Etat while preventing illegal/immoral things here is entirely a valid reason but if there is one such thing happening in thousands of interaction, its not ethical that innocents are kept on knife's edge. There is no guarantee that innocent will not suffer in case of hacking or misuse, atleast once information on who is accountable for our info is known then matters can be taken forward, if something goes wrong.
    I still agree with original demand though that messages and contents of someone should be open for deletion if a person so desires.

You can delete your pms, afaik. Check once. But the recipient can keep their copy to prove abuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google